Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

41 minutes ago, blacklab said:

updated that thread title

Israel stuff here

Iran / Red sea stuff there

US political shit about these in the CR plz

But we can still go off on wild tangents about recent breakfast tacos we've made, attractive women, and quarters melded to our tires, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

But we can still go off on wild tangents about recent breakfast tacos we've made, attractive women, and quarters melded to our tires, right?

The spat between our beloved Sir Hall and Sir Oates should remain elsewhere (not the music forum).

Anyways, is the recent bombing going to affect Hamas?  Iran is entering the Find Out stage, so maybe weapons stop flowing?  Hell, some of those strikes may have hit waypoints for Iranian arms headed to Hamas.

Edited by atomheartbevo

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The spat between our beloved Sir Hall and Sir Oates should remain elsewhere (not the music forum).

Anyways, is the recent bombing going to affect Hamas?  Iran is entering the Find Out stage, so maybe weapons stop flowing?  Hell, some of those strikes may have hit waypoints for Iranian arms headed to Hamas.

Most of what I have seen is their weapons come north from Sudan via Egypt or the Red Sea from Yemen. Not sure I would try and go from Lebanon to Gaza. Israeli Navy is not a weak one.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just don’t bring up deconstructed burgers. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

One of the most bonkers things out of this war is the “anonymous signature” of letters and petitions. 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/02/middleeast/western-officials-criticism-gaza-policy-israel-intl/index.html

CNN — 

More than 800 officials from the United States and Europe have signed a scathing criticism of Western policy towards Israel and Gaza, accusing their governments of possible complicity in war crimes.

The statement, which does not list its signatories, says that it was “coordinated” by civil servants in European Union institutions, The Netherlands, and the United States, and endorsed by civil servants in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

It’s not signed if the names aren’t attached! That’s what signing means. Why are we doing this, I feel like I’m going nuts. 

• Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

Knife attack in what I assume is a west bank border

(warning somewhat graphic)

I'm not sure this type of post is helpful. I mean, I could respond by posting lots of other videos and stories of IDF soldiers and West Bank settlers killing innocent Palestinian women and children who did nothing wrong, but then we'd quickly get into a back-and-forth shitfest of finger-pointing and name-calling. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm not sure this type of post is helpful. I mean, I could respond by posting lots of other videos and stories of IDF soldiers and West Bank settlers killing innocent Palestinian women and children who did nothing wrong, but then we'd quickly get into a back-and-forth shitfest of finger-pointing and name-calling. 

good point, but I would think it's important to counter misinformation that gets spread around so fast, especially given how uninformed people are on both sides.

In actual news it sounds like Hamas is denying they've turned down the ceasefire deal and seem to still be negociating

https://www.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-785095

Hamas denies rejection of hostage, ceasefire deal, says will deliver answer soon

According to the report, the terror organization is set to demand an increase in the number of Palestinian terrorists released from Israeli prisons.

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Both sides have done a lot of bad things. I don't know why they can't put their differences aside, get in a circle, hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

lots of other videos and stories of IDF soldiers and West Bank settlers killing innocent Palestinian women and children

Definition of whataboutism.

Also a wag that you didn't watch any of the Oct 7 videos.

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Definition of whataboutism.

Also a wag that you didn't watch any of the Oct 7 videos.

I have indeed and will be happy to discuss the topic of back-and-forth violence by all parties in the CR where it's already been thoroughly covered there. Let's not fuck up this news thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Knife attack in what I assume is a west bank border

(warning somewhat graphic)

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

I will illustrate the point and assymetry:

spacer.png

The boy got what he deserved. It is of note that he attacked a soldier rather than a civilian. He's also bound to have known that he was going to be living the last few moments of his life. He bravely and stupidly invited the bullet that killed him.

The woman's shrill worry about misrepresentation of the story seems largely irrelevant. Bombing civilians and killing thousands of them and displacing tens of thousands of them has not been distorted. We can rely upon our eyes. Anyone watching the knife attack can make concusions from that video.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I have indeed and will be happy to discuss the topic of back-and-forth violence by all parties in the CR where it's already been thoroughly covered there. Let's not fuck up this news thread.

That's fine. I very rarely click on that forum. However, that doesn't negate that you're dismissing something that's clearly news by describing something you deem to be off-topic for this thread. And here comes romavicta who has apparently escaped CR.

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

That's fine. I very rarely click on that forum. However, that doesn't negate that you're dismissing something that's clearly news by describing something you deem to be off-topic for this thread. And here comes romavicta who has apparently escaped CR.

And here we go sliding down the path.

I am in no way dismissing what the kid did, but we all know this is a touchy topic when there's another place to discuss the tit-for-tat, especially in the West Bank -- which I should remind you is not part of the Gaza War. Would you be happy if I started posting individual acts of IDF and settler violence on innocent West Bank Palestinian civilians who are not involved in the conflict in this thread? 

Then, we could discuss how what happened from October 7th to the present is part of an ongoing conflict that started years and years ago, assigning blame to the Balfour Declaration of 1917, the Arabs' disagreement with it, the Zionist movement, the UK, the UN, neighboring Arab states invasion of a newly declared Israel, the Nakba of 1948, the illegal occupation and settlement of land, Palestinian terrorism, etc.

It would turn into a total shitshow. Just leave it alone, or if you'd like to have a more open and thorough discussion, then there's a better place for that. Everything is covered over there.

22 minutes ago, Chopper said:

My mere appearance causes a reach for the pearls?

• Haha 1

@RomaVicta fuck you. The KID did not get what he deserved. He deserved to be raised in a way that allowed him to be a fucking kid, not brainwashed to attack a soldier with a knife. That’s what they all deserve, but we have shit heads saying demonizing the other side so everyone grows up thinking they are killing subhumans that don’t warrant another tonight. 

18 minutes ago, bolverk said:

when there's another place to discuss the tit-for-tat

But discussing tit-for-tat was you, wasn't it? You could've left it alone. Or perhaps I misunderstand and you're arguing that the release of a video capturing a kid trying to lure a soldier into being unprepared and then stab the soldier, only to wind up getting gunned down, isn't news?

Edited by Chopper
better description of the vid

5 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

@RomaVicta fuck you. The KID did not get what he deserved. He deserved to be raised in a way that allowed him to be a fucking kid, not brainwashed to attack a soldier with a knife. That’s what they all deserve, but we have shit heads saying demonizing the other side so everyone grows up thinking they are killing subhumans that don’t warrant another tonight. 

Illuminating. You think someone attacking another person with a lethal weapon doesn't deserve the consequence?

Thanks for the kind greeting.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

But discussing tit-for-tat was you, wasn't it? You could've left it alone. Or perhaps I misunderstand and you're arguing that a video capturing a kid trying to sneak attack and stab a soldier, and then getting shot, isn't news?

Blacklab has been clear about the parameters of the discussion in this thread, with many posts about ancillary events not directly tied to the conflict in Gaza being deleted. Again, this was in the West Bank. Believe me, I've held back and self-censored multiple times throughout this entire conflict about shit happening on the West Bank, including acts of terrorism by both sides.

Yes, it is news. But in the spirit of how this thread has been moderated to date, I decided to say something.

Edit: And the continued discussion we are now having is likely why it's been moderated in the way that it has.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

But discussing tit-for-tat was you, wasn't it? You could've left it alone. Or perhaps I misunderstand and you're arguing that the release of a video capturing a kid trying to lure a soldier into being unprepared and then stab the soldier, only to wind up getting gunned down, isn't news?

The point of that post was not to spread "news." It was to show that Palestinian descriptions of Israeli violence are propaganda. Take a look at that woman's last 10 "tweets" and come back and continue to argue with a straight face that she is a purveyor of "news."

While we're on the subject, who commissioned you to police this thread?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Blacklab has been clear about the parameters of the discussion in this thread, with many posts about ancillary events not directly tied to the conflict in Gaza being deleted. Again, this was in the West Bank. Believe me, I've held back and self-censored multiple times throughout this entire conflict about shit happening on the West Bank, including acts of terrorism by both sides.

Yes, it is news. But in the spirit of how this thread has been moderated to date, I decided to say something.

Got it. My apologies. I missed seeing your earlier post due to the escaped mental patient posting just after it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got it. My apologies. I missed seeing your earlier post due to the escaped mental patient posting just after it.

No worries. It's a hypercharged topic where most folks have some very strong feelings. I think the mods are just trying to keep this particular thread, ironically about war, a civil discussion so as not to start a new Surly jihad because, lord knows, we've had our fair share.

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Take a look at that woman's last 10 "tweets"

Unregistered twitter users aren't allowed that sort of access so you'll have to find someone who enjoys posting and/or browsing a white supremacist website to engage in that sort of fuckery. I'm wholly reliant upon my belief and understanding that @viper is a credible and reliable poster on this here website. If he's not, or if it's not news and/or not accurate then obviously the tale turns and y'all should turn your fire, so to speak, in another direction. As for "policing," you've got it entirely assbackwards.

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Unregistered twitter users aren't allowed that sort of access so you'll have to find someone who enjoys posting and/or browsing a white supremacist website to engage in that sort of fuckery. I'm wholly reliant upon my belief and understanding that @viper is a credible and reliable poster on this here website. If he's not, or if it's not news and/or not accurate then obviously the tale turns and y'all should turn your fire, so to speak, in another direction. As for "policing," you've got it entirely assbackwards.

I'll freely admit I was acting as the thread popo.

Well, I was able to access it without an account. Appreciate the implication, though. 

You're right, maybe policing isn't the best term. Perhaps "hissy fit" better describes your reactions to the criticism and RomaVicta making an appearance.

38 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Illuminating. You think someone attacking another person with a lethal weapon doesn't deserve the consequence?

Thanks for the kind greeting.

No. You are making shit up now. Go troll some where else you piece of shit

• Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Well, I was able to access it without an account. Appreciate the implication, though. 

You're right, maybe policing isn't the best term. Perhaps "hissy fit" better describes your reactions to the criticism and RomaVicta making an appearance.

What are you doing in this thread now, btw? Or what do you think you're doing?

I just double-checked and without a twitter account I'm unable to see someone's tweets in their timeline in descending chronological order. Also, without an account, I'm unable to see replies to any tweet, and further I'm unable to see tweet threads, as well. (And therefore aside from it being a site for white supremacists, it's senseless to click on a link to twitter, at least imo.) It wasn't an implication - it was a mere statement of fact. You felt I aimed it at you which is rather telling.

My mention of romavicta was because @bolverkhad just mentioned a desire to avoid CR'ing up the thread as the reason for his thread policing. It was a description of reality and a nod to a small irony. Fact and reality...I'm sensing a couple issues you seem to have problems with.

Edited by Chopper

14 minutes ago, Chopper said:

What are you doing in this thread now, btw? Or what do you think you're doing?

Explaining that the account has a political agenda and pushes propaganda. Given that you were unaware, I hope it helped.

Edited by Foosters

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

My mention of romavicta was because @bolverkhad just mentioned a desire to avoid CR'ing up the thread as the reason for his thread policing.

Where is the dreaded CR in my original post? It's not political. It's not partisan.

Try not seeing what you're looking for. 

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

Yes, it is news.

It’s actually an extremely clear example of how just a simple edit (cutting out the attack on the soldier) can change the appearance of an event, and we don’t normally get such a clear example where we see the manipulation and misinformation campaign in near real-time.  

If you had the tools, you could trawl Twitter for the edited video and easily find a shitload of bots and foreign agents.  You could also see what a misinformation campaign looks like as it happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s actually an extremely clear example of how just a simple edit (cutting out the attack on the soldier) can change the appearance of an event, and we don’t normally get such a clear example where we see the manipulation and misinformation campaign in near real-time.  

If you had the tools, you could trawl Twitter for the edited video and easily find a shitload of bots and foreign agents.  You could also see what a misinformation campaign looks like as it happens.

As you know, I'm 100% in favor of calling out misinformation and have done so at least twice on this thread and multiple times elsewhere on this site, and the proliferation of it is one of many reasons I ditched Twitter.

• Hook 'Em 5