Your dose of nostalgia: B-roll videos of how life used to be

Just now, Willfully Horn said:

Velvet rut, ftw.

First time I ever heard that term was after leaving Austin. Heard it from a guy who was a house-flipper in Austin and Atlanta before making his life's work the restoration and inhabitation of a huge historical building in Selma Alabama.

His velvet rut story involved being back in Austin and watching 5 guys try to figure out how to move one table. It took time, maaaan.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Going through some of those shopping videos, the amount of cash being handled is what jumps out to me.

That and the lack of phones.

More cash, fewer phones. I could handle that.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

This is the video that gets me.

It'd be time consuming for someone, but they'd make thousands of bucks at $5-$10/download...remix this video with the exterior scenes/walk-n-talks in 'Slacker' and same from 'Austin Stories' lone season on MTV in geographic order from North to South..............  Could just remove dialogue track and overdub Austin musicians hits from that era.  Comes in at about 25minute run time.  Folks our age light one up and drink one down and watch that thing on a loop and they'd gladly hand over $20.  For it's money we have and peace we lack.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Going through some of those shopping videos, the amount of cash being handled is what jumps out to me.

That and the lack of phones.

Am I the only one thinking "that dude was probably born around 1920 so he's dead....she's probably dead...he's definitely dead"

18 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Am I the only one thinking "that dude was probably born around 1920 so he's dead....she's probably dead...he's definitely dead"

I do that every time I watch an older movie or tv show that has a dog in it. 

"That dog is dead, now."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Silly question, but are those signs replicas or the actual ones removed from defunct spots and restored ? 

The only one that isn't original is The Continental Club that was used on the set of either Kimmel or Fallon (I forget which) when they broadcast from Austin for sxsw.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand