Rolling Stone Top Guitarists Thread of Clickbait

sidis

This admission will get me kicked off the Music forum...

CSB:

Spoiler

In high school I used to give a group of kids a ride to school in the AM.  One of them was a drummer and a music freak who aspired to be a Radio Station DJ or in a rock band.  He always leaned into heavier rock and introduced me to all kinds of stuff.  One day I'm over at his house and notice a picture of a hip lookin' 70's black dude with a big ole fro.  Strange, he was more into metal / punk / classic rock.   So I asked him "hey, what's with the poster?"  He just looked at me with a incredulous smirk.   Finally he get's that I'm serious...   "you don't know that's Jimi Hendrix?"   OOOOOOOOOooooooh! Oh 

joe-roberts-jr-jimi-hendrix-music-poster

tl/dr I'm an idiot. 

But I know this Stevie was heavily influenced by Jimi ...  so Jimi > Stevie 

On 10/21/2023 at 5:54 PM, G650 said:

I mean, if you will recall from the Guitar thread when we were listing our top three we coupd play like the other day, I had Slash as my number one. And I am totally fine with him being 100 ish on this list.

I really have to say for RS, this was not nearly as egregious as usual. I didn't read the whole thing, but the biggest robberies I can see are Charlie Christian and James Burton. Should both be top 5 easy to me.

I didn't look to see where Glen Campbell was though, that could be another.

Since I got my ES-150, I've listened to a ton of Charlie Christian, and you sir, are correct. 

On 10/19/2023 at 12:26 AM, ztejas said:

Also... I'm gonna keep defending my guy.

If anyone on this site wants to grab a pick and show us that then go ahead. Let's see it. 

Here's another one because I know a lot of you aren't going to watch the entire song.

Elementary stuff. I could teach my dead dog to do that. 

image.jpeg.02d9a0728dc5b0facb2526ea459a114e.jpeg

On 10/13/2023 at 3:03 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

The first part of the list

1. Hendrix
  2. Chuck Berry
  3. Page
  4. EVH
  5. Jeff Beck
  6. Sister Rosetta Tharpe 
  7. Nile Rodgers
  8. BB King
  9. Joni Mitchell
  10. Duane Allman
  11. Santana
  12. jimmy Nolen
  13. Toni Iommi
  14. Prince
  15. Keith
  16. Robert Johnson
  17. Mother Maybelle Carter
  18. Tom Morello
  19. Freddy King
  20. SRV
  21. Randy Rhoads
  22. Albert King
  23. Hetfield and Hammett
  24. James Burton
  25. John Frusciante
  26. St. Vincent
  27. Buddy Guy
  28. Gilmour
  29. Eddie Hazel
  30. Neil Young
  31. Harrison
  32. Jack White
  33. May
  34. Garcia
  35. Clapton

Da Faq is wrong with those people?

So the Rolling Stone thinks there are only 5 guitarists that rate higher than this one:

Clickbait is clickbait.

They don't honestly believe there are only 5 guitar players better than her, they wanted to put a dual minority in the Top 10.  Which is fine, it's their list, and it's just discussion fodder.  I would have been shocked to not see several token gestures to people that aren't as great as they're contending just to score some points.

The only entry that truly annoyed me was putting Clapton ahead of the Young Brothers.

Jimi is an underrated rhythm guitarist. And rhythm guitar is underrated.

Also, playing something really cool is great, but being the person who came up with the idea to play that cool thing is even better. I don't have a dog in the Jack White thing either way, I kinda get it how he works into this conversation but I think of him more in the "creative powerhouse" bucket than the "virtuoso" bucket. All that said... fuck man, 7 Nation Army is simple as all hell and it is regularly chanted by entire stadiums of people. The biggest stadiums in the world. Brian Setzer is a better guitarist but he didn't do that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Jimi is an underrated rhythm guitarist. And rhythm guitar is underrated.

He's honestly more astonishing as a rhythm player than a lead player by a substantial amount. To me, the triumvirate of Jimi, EVH and Pete Townsend are the pillars of rhythm guitar. Hetfield and Malcolm Young as honorable mention.

He's honestly more astonishing as a rhythm player than a lead player by a substantial amount. To me, the triumvirate of Jimi, EVH and Pete Townsend are the pillars of rhythm guitar. Hetfield and Malcolm Young as honorable mention.

Throw up the Deadhead signal again…Bob Weir is the greatest rhythm guitar player of all time .
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I’ll just leave this here. For those that don’t see it I don’t know what to tell you

I can't imagine any better tone that Stevie Ray's.  Eddie had great tone, too, especially early on, but a lot of that was the dimed Marshall.  Jimmy Page got there when he was in full swagger.  Hendrix just doesn't do as much for me.

And rhythm?  Stevie & Eddie were absolute beasts as rhythm players.