NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

Posted (edited)

I don't think anyone is beating this motherfucker. Again.

I mean, Jayson Tatum is the rest of the league's hope?

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

31 and 12 dimes through 3Q on 12/16 shooting.

I think he's already one of the 10 greatest players ever. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is just stupid, Nikola. Drives me crazy when Shaq concedes that Jokic is the best "big man" in the league when making a case for someone else as MVP. Mother fucker, he's the best basketball player on the planet, and it's not close.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Man I don't hate on anyone. But Denver is putting Watson on Rudy and Rudy is calling for the ball deep in the post but no one will pass it to him. 😭😭. Edit nvm that's Justin Holiday and it was a switch. 

Edited by Baboontyme

Posted (edited)

KCP is so fucking cold.

I like how LA won that "title" and then they were like "yeah nah we don't need any of these guys that helped us win this shit"

Edited by ztejas

It’s Just a damn cheat code. Every possession can be ran through the leagues Best passer, smartest player, best touch around the rim biggest tub of fuck and there’s nothing you can do when he gets the ball. Every pass is perfect whether it’s 96 ft off a rebound or behind the back in a traffic of defenders.

I’d have taken the odds to the bank of a wolves win 3 hours ago if you told me Murray, MPJ and Gordon wouldn’t touch 20 points. Rudy and kat having good games?!

Oh Ant laid a turd.

I don’t even want to watch game 6. Denver’s just too good in a best of 7

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They said after game 2 that only 5 teams had ever comeback from being down 0-2 while having homecourt advantage. Looking like #6 is gonna happen Thursday night. Hell of a turnaround and if the Nuggets win a ring this year, it's going to shut up a lot of haters. 

Jokic is the best player in the world by a pretty big margin, but Brunson is the most valuable player IMO. The knicks would be in Cancun right now on Ted Cruz’s yacht without him (and would have been cheering for some lottery luck as they would have been a bottom dweller).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Jokic is the best player in the world by a pretty big margin, but Brunson is the most valuable player IMO. The knicks would be in Cancun right now on Ted Cruz’s yacht without him (and would have been cheering for some lottery luck as they would have been a bottom dweller).

You think Denver is a playoff team without Jokic?

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't think anyone is beating this motherfucker. Again.

I mean, Jayson Tatum is the rest of the league's hope?

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

31 and 12 dimes through 3Q on 12/16 shooting.

I think he's already one of the 10 greatest players ever. 

First player ever to account for 70+ points of offense with zero TO’s in a playoff game.  Against the DPOY and a team that took the first two from you at home.  Just absolutely insane.  
I agree on top 10 especially at his peak.  3 more years like this and you have to go top 5-6.  Barring injury we already know his game will age well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

what’s crazy is that the explanation for the turnaround in this series is literally just that jokic decided to take over. fans who don’t regularly watch denver won’t know that all he does in the 1Q and 4Q of every game is initiate offense and get his teammates involved, particularly murray. whenever denver has a key possession late in a game, 9/10 jokic will call a play to get the ball in murray’s hands, usually clearing out one side so that jamal can go to work 1-on-1 and either score or create. in general jokic never even considers looking to create his own shot, he just wants to play floor general, and if he has to do so he will reluctantly take on the role of primary scorer. that’s jokic’s game. he’s the only superstar i’ve ever seen who has the ball in his hands at the end of games who never ever ever forces anything or thinks he has to be the one to take the big shot.

that all changed after denver got down 2-0 with some key players being a bit hobbled. jokic heard the call that he needed to go ahead and be the totally dominant force that can be any time he chooses to do so. instead of everyone else getting going and jokic intelligently picking his spots, jokic is just coming out of the gate like a battering ram and submitting the wolves to his will. he’s doing the same thing in the 3Q and crunch time as well. he’s going directly at the wolves and making himself the primary focus, and not only can they not stop him, and not only is it making life easier on his teammates, but that big serbian fucker is just beating them up physically as well. it’s wild, the way he’s got this shaq-like domination in him, yet he prefers to play the role of magic until his team needs him to be shaq (mixed with equal parts sabonis and bird). jokic is truly 1 of 1.

Edited by definitely not derka
  • Like 1

what’s crazy is that the explanation for the turnaround in this series is literally just that jokic decided to take over. fans who don’t regularly watch denver won’t know that all he does in the 1Q and 4Q of every game is initiate offense and get his teammates involved, particularly murray. whenever denver has a key possession late in a game, 9/10 jokic will call a play to get the ball in murray’s hands, usually clearing out one side so that jamal can go to work 1-on-1 and either score or create. in general jokic never even considers looking to create his own shot, he just wants to play floor general, and if he has to do so he will reluctantly take on the role of primary scorer. that’s jokic’s game. he’s the only superstar i’ve ever seen who has the ball in his hands at the end of games who never ever ever forces anything or thinks he has to be the one to take the big shot.
that all changed after denver got down 2-0 with some key players being a bit hobbled. jokic heard the call that he needed to go ahead and be the totally dominant force that can be any time he chooses to do so. instead of everyone else getting going and jokic intelligently picking his spots, jokic is just coming out of the gate like a battering ram and submitting the wolves to his will. he’s doing the same thing in the 3Q and crunch time as well. he’s going directly at the wolves and making himself the primary focus, and not only can they not stop him, and not only is it making life easier on his teammates, but that big serbian fucker is just beating them up physically as well. it’s wild, the way he’s got this shaq-like domination in him, yet he prefers to play the role of magic until his team needs him to be shaq (mixed with equal parts sabonis and bird). jokic is truly 1 of 1.

That’s just it…how do you stop one of the best scorers in the game who doesn’t even look to score and is arguably a better passer? Who just so happens to be 7’1 385 lbs? He’s literally a 100 overall 2K create a player and the rest of us are 55 overall rated. The fucker had a 12:0 assist to turnover ratio at one point. And none of his supporting cast wasn’t exactly lighting it up either

I’m out of ideas. Outside of blitzing the fuck out of him with NAW, jaden, ant and Conley and playing some sort of zone to block off the cuts from the blitzers guy.

I felt Denver had troubles when we constantly switched ant and Jaden on Jamal in game 2. Do that to joker with Rudy and kat. Joker vs Rudy is backing down. Rudy vsnkat js receiving the bball and has time to build a campfire and survey what to do with it. Every wolf just “guarding their assigned guy” isn’t working

No words for Jokic last night. An all time performance from an all time great. 

But Minnesota without Conley was completely constipated on offense. Edwards was consistently doubled off every screen. They put Jokic in the action and he doesn’t even look at Rudy. He just sags and makes Edwards take a tough shot or pass to someone who can’t shoot. Gobert is such a non factor on that end and the only guy who can spread the floor is KAT. And he was his typical non assertive, can’t post up a smaller guy, self. Reid was in foul trouble. It’s not an accident when McDaniels is wide ass open at the three point line.

I would try benching Gobert and going small with Reid. They can’t stop Jokic with Gobert, they might as well try to make him work on defense and make him move to expend some energy. I don’t think it matters though. He’s just too great. 

11 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Peacock, which is the worst streamer out there, is going to host most of the games — just watch.

100% this is the worst part about the whole deal. The fans just lost hundreds of weeknight games.  I'm honestly rooting for this to fail so hard and the viewership numbers to drop like a rock.  

• Rage+1 1

No words for Jokic last night. An all time performance from an all time great. 
But Minnesota without Conley was completely constipated on offense. Edwards was consistently doubled off every screen. They put Jokic in the action and he doesn’t even look at Rudy. He just sags and makes Edwards take a tough shot or pass to someone who can’t shoot. Gobert is such a non factor on that end and the only guy who can spread the floor is KAT. And he was his typical non assertive, can’t post up a smaller guy, self. Reid was in foul trouble. It’s not an accident when McDaniels is wide ass open at the three point line.
I would try benching Gobert and going small with Reid. They can’t stop Jokic with Gobert, they might as well try to make him work on defense and make him move to expend some energy. I don’t think it matters though. He’s just too great. 

I know.

Gobert was 7/7 and it felt like he wasn’t even there just because of how joker obliterated him on defense.

Posted (edited)

i wonder if the kids 20 years from now who never got to watch jokic play will know that it took jokic until ~june 2023 before he was given his due respect, or if the scores of fans, pundits, and players who insisted for years that jokic wasn’t special will all just pretend like that never happened and that we all just loved and appreciated joker from the jump the way we did with mj and lebron.

Edited by definitely not derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

i wonder if the kids 20 years from now who never got to watch jokic play will know that it took jokic until ~june 2023 before he was given his due respect, or if the scores of fans, pundits, and players who insisted for years that jokic wasn’t special will all just pretend like that never happened and that we all just loved and appreciated joker from the jump the way we did with mj and lebron.

He won 3 of the last 4 MVP awards, and if not for a racially charged attack by Kendrick Perkins' and some dumbass media members, he would have a MVP 4peat running right now. I think plenty of people have recognized and understand how good he is on the floor.

I agree he isn't on the same level of hype or media attention as MJ or Lebron (both in sports and non-sports media), but I think that has more to do with his personality and media approach. He's not a firebrand, he doesn't stir up controversy to steal the spotlight, and he doesn't make shitty comments about his teammate's performance or his "next team" to drive more discussion about himself. He's just built differently in that regard, and I think that has a lot more to do with the lack of media coverage and exposure, because he's just not that juicy of a story. Jokic is certainly as talented as those guys, but he has the personality of a businessman. He clocks in, does his job while daydreaming of riding horses, clocks out, and goes home to his wife and kids. I really like that about him, and I think it helps his team on and off the court. Must be nice knowing that your team's best player is not creating distractions or picking and choosing who gets traded next. Team stability is an underrated quality that Lebron and KD never seem to appreciate. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Dude is putting together a postseason for the ages. It’s been an awesome series, and I feel bad for Ant, who had a shit game last night. Hopefully this series can go seven so that those two can Bird/Nique their way to an epic finale. Feels like this is the Finals regardless.

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

He won 3 of the last 4 MVP awards, and if not for a racially charged attack by Kendrick Perkins' and some dumbass media members, he would have a MVP 4peat running right now. I think plenty of people have recognized and understand how good he is on the floor.

he still never got his proper respect until last year. there was always a line of fans, pundits, and players eager to tell you why embiid or giannis or luka is better, or to leave jokic out of their top five current players, and things like that. he’s been as good as lebron ever was for years now, and lebron’s only question was, “is he has good as/better than michael jordan”, not, “am i as an espn/fs1/etc nba analyst going to put devin booker or jayson tatum ahead of nikola jokic on my top 5 players in the nba heading into 2022”. 

lets call it what it is: it’s a big, slow white guy with seemingly zero personality who plays in the mountain time zone, so people either downplayed and downgraded everything he did, or truthfully for a lot of people they just straight up never watched his games yet still had an opinion on him. people in this thread are talking about him being a top 10 player ever (as they should be) when the reality is that two years ago that devin booker/jayson tatum stuff was actually happening. it really took until last year for everyone to just admit that he’s the best despite him having been the best player for 4-5 years now. i’m not sure there’s ever been a more dominant player in any sport ever who got less respect than nikola jokic did up until about a year ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Dude is putting together a postseason for the ages

something people don’t realize is that his postseason numbers are better than his regular season numbers because he doesn’t actually play a ton of minutes during the regular season.

career: 31.2 mpg

2022-23: 33.7 mpg (48th in the league)

2023-24: 34.6 mpg (28th in the league)

vs

2023 playoffs: 39.4 mpg

2024 playoffs: 40.0 mpg

in other words, the man puts up mvp numbers year after year despite playing way fewer minutes and taking way fewer ft’s than his competition for mvp, and then he goes into the playoffs and plays way more minutes, sees his usg go up, and yet all of his efficiency numbers stay at their elite levels, if they aren’t actually improved! it’s seriously a privilege to witness this kind of greatness.

bottom line, nikola jokic is the most unicorn unicorn that has ever unicorn’d in nba history. 

• Hook 'Em 2

.c0f0564b9ae82fa849cf615489198b21.jpg

That whole work week off between Monday-> Friday really fucked us last week. Who gives a shit if the other match ups have to catch up.
Gave Denver a whole week to heal, study, chew and stew on hot takes like this, remind them who they are and gave us wayyy too much publicity.

Like Hakeem, Joker did not get love and admiration for the same reasons: not an American, English not the first language, humble personalty and both did not play in NY, LA or Boston. It took both of them to win their first championship before getting the recognition they deserved.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

he still never got his proper respect until last year. there was always a line of fans, pundits, and players eager to tell you why embiid or giannis or luka is better, or to leave jokic out of their top five current players, and things like that. he’s been as good as lebron ever was for years now, and lebron’s only question was, “is he has good as/better than michael jordan”, not, “am i as an espn/fs1/etc nba analyst going to put devin booker or jayson tatum ahead of nikola jokic on my top 5 players in the nba heading into 2022”. 

lets call it what it is: it’s a big, slow white guy with seemingly zero personality who plays in the mountain time zone, so people either downplayed and downgraded everything he did, or truthfully for a lot of people they just straight up never watched his games yet still had an opinion on him. people in this thread are talking about him being a top 10 player ever (as they should be) when the reality is that two years ago that devin booker/jayson tatum stuff was actually happening. it really took until last year for everyone to just admit that he’s the best despite him having been the best player for 4-5 years now. i’m not sure there’s ever been a more dominant player in any sport ever who got less respect than nikola jokic did up until about a year ago.

Wait, are you derka? 

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Zubac and Nurk are the only ones big enough to bang with him.  They play him tough. And Nurk always gets up to play against the Nuggets.

I thought Gobert defended him as well as anyone could. Jokic is just too good, especially when he goes beast mode like the third quarter last night.

If one is a fan of the sport above all else, it's a joy to watch, even if it's at the expense of one's own team. And if it weren't for SGA, one could confidently state that the best point guard in the league is a huge, slow-moving, 7-foot white dude from Serbia who plays center.

It's incredible to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1