NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I didn’t get into the Devin Booker hate until the last 12 days but now I totally get it

I don’t hate him or even sports hate him, but I do recognize guys who just aren’t winners. My opinion of his ability to be the best player on a championship team has never changed since I saw him in his first season. He is just not a winner. Puts up a lot of points and leads fans to believe he’s an elite player, but he’s not. Chris Paul carried that team while he was there and I say that as someone who has never enjoyed watching him play either.

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Third highest payroll in the league, completely mortgaged future, and going to win the same number of playoff games as the Pistons while being only moderately more competitive. I’d say that’s a helluva first year as an owner. 

And he did all that all because he hates Dan Gilbert.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And he did all that all because he hates Dan Gilbert.

I am starting to think that Dan Gilbert actually had good reason to not want Ishbia to be an owner and not just because of the competing business thing.

Also when you are soliciting advice from Isiah Thomas on players and how to run your organization you are probably not a very intelligent person nor are you someone that should have an NBA team.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

So...are we all ready to admit that 99% of this forum was wrong about the Rudy trade and @MNLonghornFUKM was right?

season 7 yes GIF

And to his extreme credit, Rudy has dramatically improved his versatility as a defender. The days of playing him off the court are over. You can't just pull him out of the paint, isolate him in space, and put him on skates anymore.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

So...are we all ready to admit that 99% of this forum was wrong about the Rudy trade and @MNLonghornFUKM was right?

Because they won a first round series against a dysfunctional Suns team starring the ghost of Devin Booker?

Let's see how they do against Denver. The trade is for sure looking better, still not sure it was worth Walker Kessler and 4 first round picks. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Let's also give credit to NAW, ANT and McDaniels. All of those guys make Gobert's job a lot easier. 

For sure. Minnesota banked on becoming the best defense in the league (or close to it), Rudy not being a situational liability in the playoffs, their existing roster being good/deep enough, and Ant making the leap to transcendent superstar. If all those things came to fruition, no one would miss the draft picks or think they paid too much. 

Pretty easy to be skeptical with Minnesota's history and the completely disastrous first year of the experiment that culminated in Gobert punching his own teammate during a game. But it's currently hard to argue that most of those things are progressing as planned or better at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The trade is for sure looking better, still not sure it was worth Walker Kessler and 4 first round picks. 

Walker Kessler's ceiling is as a nice role player and it's looking all those 4 first rounders will be in the 20s, so unless lightning strikes and they luck into a Jokic or Draymond or Jimmy Butler they'll all be a bunch of jags at best.

The trade that catapulted everything was DLo for NAW, conley and 3 2nds.

Rudy’s still awkward as hell with the ball and I guess that’s never going to change. But Tim Connolly knew the narrative was going to be stopping Joker with the warriors now old and gray. Or at least containing his assists. Joker can go for 40 any night. Just so long as MPJ, KCP and Murray aren’t tallying assists for him.

Sucks we laid an egg the last game of the season, vs Phoenix, and gave denver home court but whatever.

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Walker Kessler's ceiling is as a nice role player and it's looking all those 4 first rounders will be in the 20s, so unless lightning strikes and they luck into a Jokic or Draymond or Jimmy Butler they'll all be a bunch of jags at best.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you I just think it's still a little early to give that trade a final grade. I want to see them make a playoff run first or at least take Denver to a long series. 

26 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Today felt like a franchise-changing loss.  Not good.

Weren't the Cavs already in danger of blowing things up anyway, given that Mitchell hasn't expressed any real interest in getting a new contract/contract extension in place?  

2 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Weren't the Cavs already in danger of blowing things up anyway, given that Mitchell hasn't expressed any real interest in getting a new contract/contract extension in place?  

If Mitchell doesn't sign an extension on 07-01-24 then he has to be traded for whatever the Cavs can get.  So we'll see in 2 months.

But the problem with blowing things up is obvious - the Cavs don't control their first round pick until 2030 so we're looking at an extended run of wandering the desert for the rest of the decade, given that it's looking less and less likely that Mobley will become a star in this league and Garland took about 3 steps backward this year.

Oh well.  I survived the late 90s Bob Sura/Fat Shawn Kemp/Danny Ferry era Cavs and I suspect I'll survive whatever team the Cavs fields for the next few years.

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Chuck is of course right about the "beaches" of Galveston.

Chuck is always right when it comes to Texas - the churros and the fat latinas in SA and the nasty ass beaches of Galveston 

charles barkley eating GIF by NBA on TNT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I can’t handle watching the zionless pelicans

That OKC team ain't fuckin around. 

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they went on a crazy run and made someone sweat in the CF 

If Mitchell doesn't sign an extension on 07-01-24 then he has to be traded for whatever the Cavs can get.  So we'll see in 2 months.
But the problem with blowing things up is obvious - the Cavs don't control their first round pick until 2030 so we're looking at an extended run of wandering the desert for the rest of the decade, given that it's looking less and less likely that Mobley will become a star in this league and Garland took about 3 steps backward this year.
Oh well.  I survived the late 90s Bob Sura/Fat Shawn Kemp/Danny Ferry era Cavs and I suspect I'll survive whatever team the Cavs fields for the next few years.

Unnecessary shade thrown at Bob Sura. Some of his biggest fans post on this site

41 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Another shitty game being set up. Dont think miamis going 23-42 from 3 this game

No Butler, Rozier, or Wright for Miami tonight.  If Boston didn't come out and destroy them, it would only be because they still weren't taking it seriously.  Miami wouldn't have gone 23-42 last game if Boston hadn't half-assed it on defensive closeouts the whole time.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

That OKC team ain't fuckin around. 

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they went on a crazy run and made someone sweat in the CF 

They can throw three elite level wing defenders out there in SGA, Dort, and Cason Wallace.  They're eating BI and McCollum up.  BI can't even get shots up over Dort.

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I knew Denver’s bench wasn’t as good as last years but I didn’t think they were going to be this far apart

Watson or Braun may blow up for a game or 2 at home(score 5+ points) but wow.

That’s why home court is important because the bench dudes play better there. Gacking that SA game could really hurt them. 

Wolves get Scott Foster tonight

Well it was a fun run while it lasted but the extenders gonna take it from here

For those who forgot, foster reffed the game Rudy made the “make money” hand gesture towards.

A game Jarrett Allen had 21 FT attempts by himself

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

For future reference try the espn app (phone or smart tv). They normally win Stan the abc feed.

Yeah I figured it out right around halftime that people aren’t restricted to only watching sports on broadcast television. Early adopter and shit. 

I don’t even have the heart to say fuck Kawhi any more. He’s already been fucked enough by his broken down body. Get well soon. You’re never winning shit. 

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah I figured it out right around halftime that people aren’t restricted to only watching sports on broadcast television. Early adopter and shit. 

I don’t even have the heart to say fuck Kawhi any more. He’s already been fucked enough by his broken down body. Get well soon. You’re never winning shit. 

Don't worry, I got you covered.

Fuck Kawhi Leonard.  He's being paid handsomely to sit on the bench in warmups every year.  He doesn't give a shit as long as he's paid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My man, allow me to retort with a healthy “fuck Kawhi Leonard, and a happy new year!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1