Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Are the Astros on the hook for JV's entire 2024 and potential 2025 salary? Or will the Mets owe some of that?

Mets paid 35 mil for 23/24

Mets will pay 17.5 mil if 2025 vests (130 IP iirc)

I think Astros are roughly on the hook for ~29 mil all things considered for 2 1/3 seasons of JV

Edited by UTPhil2006
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Pantone 16-1448 said:

I know he's 75, but Brent Strom knows pitching.  The pitching staff dropped off this year and he's doing well in Arizona.  He may have no interest in being a head coach and would likely be a short-term fix.  

same Astro pitching coaches was nails last season. Lot of rookies pitchers showed up this year too. Our pitching program work, post Strom 

new coach will have to decide his own staff 

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

No idea what framber’s next contract looks like, but …

altuve / Tucker / bregman are all going to be looking for 10 years - $300 million (that’s my guess) 

Altuve is not going to be asking for a contract that lasts until he’s 45 years old. Come on.

• Hook 'Em 5

Do we have someone looking into the sweat analytics. Our pitchers get worked up eating seeds. While we are looking into at all the metrics, can we have someone evaluating the manager cap wearing height ratio. While I liked a few of our previous skippers, many of them wore their caps way too high on the head. Lanier, Howe, just to name a few Dierker.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Javier threw too many innings between last season, the playoffs, the WBC and this year.  I think he will bounce back after some rest.

Agreed. All in all, the WBC was likely the toughest opponent we faced this year. We went into it with several Astros already having had a series of short off-seasons, and we know all too well how we came out of it. At least that's not a hurdle this winter. 

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Bregman isn't getting 300 million.

He’s 29 and show me a better leader in mlb. He’s a vacuum at 3rd. Little above avg career numbers. The Astros might not offer 300, but take a look at recent contracts. I’d ask for 300 and go from there. 

I’d take bregman over machado 

Edited by tx 3 putt

53 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Do we have someone looking into the sweat analytics. Our pitchers get worked up eating seeds. While we are looking into at all the metrics, can we have someone evaluating the manager cap wearing height ratio. While I liked a few of our previous skippers, many of them wore their caps way too high on the head. Lanier, Howe, just to name a few Dierker.

lower the ac ?

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Javier threw too many innings between last season, the playoffs, the WBC and this year.  I think he will bounce back after some rest.

All our rookie pitchers +Javier hit a wall in the 2nd half of the season. Losing Garcia and McCullers really hurt.

If everyone is healthy next year, then we need at a minimum at a 6-man rotation, if not tandem starting(outside of Verlander and Framber) for the 1st half of the season.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

My list of preferred manager candidates in order:

1. Astros bench coach Joe Espada

2. Rays bench coach Rodney Linares

3. Rangers associate manager Will Venable

4. A’s manager Mark Kotsay

5. Tigers manager AJ Hinch

I’d probably have your order almost exactly inverted (other than I know fuck all about will venable) but none of those are likey bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

No idea what framber’s next contract looks like, but …

altuve / Tucker / bregman are all going to be looking for 10 years - $300 million (that’s my guess) 

Do you ever stop and listen to yourself think before you type? 
jose Altuve is 34 years old. In no fucking universe is he thinking about a 10 year contract.  Tucker is like 27, Bregman is like 31 and Altuve is 34. They are all at radically different points in time and their contract asks won’t be at all similar. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

All our rookie pitchers +Javier hit a wall in the 2nd half of the season. Losing Garcia and McCullers really hurt.

If everyone is healthy next year, then we need at a minimum at a 6-man rotation, if not tandem starting(outside of Verlander and Framber) for the 1st half of the season.

Gross incompetence from Dusty in both handling of the pitchers and the fact that he handicapped us offensively making for a bunch of tight games Really did a number on the entire staff. 
some of that gets better with better management. 
also we need way more of a shuttle to sugar land on the mound. All the good teams do it. We should be using a roster of 19 pitchers not 13. I mean regularly. Guys swapping out 10 days at a time. 

• Like 2

Espada better have some good answers about what Dusty did wrong and what he would have done differently to convince me he isn't tainted

I'd probably leave him off the list just to be safe 

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

Javier needs to develop a secondary pitch he can consistently throw for strikes. Game 7 Arlington was able to tee off the fastball because they saw ut a few nights before and knew he didn't have a secondary pitch to keep them off balance as soon as seager hit his HR, I knew we were fucked. Their hitters made the adjustment to him

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

Javier needs to develop a secondary pitch he can consistently throw for strikes. Game 7 Arlington was able to tee off the fastball because they saw ut a few nights before and knew he didn't have a secondary pitch to keep them off balance as soon as seager hit his HR, I knew we were fucked. Their hitters made the adjustment to him

He has a good slider but it didn’t miss bats as well this year. The real problem is his fastball went from A+++ to above average and none of his other pitches improved to compensate.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Just can’t see AJ Hinch as a viable candidate to come back here after all that. 

I don't think Crane has any interest in bringing back Hinch or Luhnow. One, I think he'd like to distance the team from the scandal as much as possible. Two, in Luhnow's case, Crane doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will rehire an employee who sued him. It's a shame because I'd love to have Luhnow back in some capacity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I don't think Crane has any interest in bringing back Hinch or Luhnow. One, I think he'd like to distance the team from the scandal as much as possible. Two, in Luhnow's case, Crane doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will rehire an employee who sued him. It's a shame because I'd love to have Luhnow back in some capacity. 

Crane is also going to be pissed when the corporate money goes backs to the Texans as he runs the Astros into the ground by allowing Bagwell and himself to overrun the baseball ops and nerds.

• Like 1

Crane isn’t rehiring Luhnow unless he’s desperate.  

I forget who posted this previously but the tweet that all of his manager/GM hires came from outside the org made a lot of sense.   My guess is Crane understands the value in pulling in ideas from other successful teams outweighs continuity, everything else being equal.  

I would really like to know the gossip on why he doesn’t trust the GM to make the hire, however.

If this all ends up being Crane/ Baggy/ and friends making a crony move, Dana is just little ole token, right?

Brown seems like he doesn’t have much say.  Maybe that’s my imagination.