Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

He’s famous for voting Reggie over VY in 05 and then defending it for years. 

I’ve always hated that the heisman doesn’t take in to account bowl games

i understood it back in the day when there were only  ~10 bowls and/or polls crowned national champs based on the regular season only… but now when half of the teams in college football make a bowl, anyone decent up for consideration is going to be playing in one and 90% of the time, it’s going to be meaningful (especially next year when 12 teams will be playing in the playoffs. I’ll be surprised if there are many/any heisman finalists from a non-CFP team)

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Maldonado was awful at framing last year, worse than Diaz. That's why everyone in the organization was so vague in what Maldonado brought to the team, because by every measurable standard he was fucking awful.

Using fangraphs.

Maldonado was -15.5 

Diaz was -3.0

Caratini was 6.3

How long until all the pitchers demand to throw to Caratini?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

bohls/dumb chick situations aren't even remotely the same.  

At least Bohls was already writing for AAS and covering the Horns, then did something like that

This chick did it first and then got hired.  Chron is fucking stupid and whoever hired her should be fired because they obviously have horrible judgement.  Also this chick is dumb as fuck to even apply for this position.  Go apply at 29 other newspapers who don't cover the team and player you despise.  What did this dumb broad think would happen? 

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

She nuked her social mediA. Astro Fan girl twitter mafia wasn’t nice to her at all. When you’ve lost those dumb chicks …

She is absolutely pathetic. Pulling the fake suicidal ideation card to get people to feel sorry for her then nuking her Twitter account for “mental health” reasons. Embarrassing to see from a UT grad. This was the First Take segment about her unprofessional exchange with Brian Kelly.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/Astros/comments/18j2rf5/rosenthal_executives_from_two_clubs_indicated/
Link not embedding but here's the title:
[Rosenthal] Executives from two clubs indicated this week that their teams are monitoring the possibility of the Astros trading left-hander Framber Valdez.
Gotta wait to see if a team signs his boyfriend Mashitty first
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Death threats are too far but this response made me chuckle

She said "threats" not death threats.  I'm sure some idiots did, probably bots.  But taking idiots like that seriously when you are a "journalist" means you aren't able to do that job.  

I'm guessing more people told her to kill herself.  Which is pretty fucked up too.

And if the SAS moment made her want to take her own life, then the guy asking her how much lettuce do you want on your sandwich probably makes her want to do that too.  

Edited by uoftorange
  • Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, The Dog said:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Astros/comments/18j2rf5/rosenthal_executives_from_two_clubs_indicated/
[Rosenthal] Executives from two clubs indicated this week that their teams are monitoring the possibility of the Astros trading left-hander Framber Valdez.

Gotta wait to see if a team signs his boyfriend Mashitty first

not sure why the dodgers wasted all that money on ohtani when machete is worth an extra 15 wins a season and would have signed for $680mil less !

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

WE talked a little bit about this on breathing orange fire the last 2 weeks (we are thought leaders- what can I say?) and in my mind the Orioles are an ideal match up if you were going to trade Framber.  They have a team ready made to go, more prospects than they have spots for and great need for pitching.  I am not saying the Astros are going to do it, but it would make a lot of sense if they got something like Coby Mayo and (3B/1b/LF prospect) and Ortiz (SS/up the middle) who are 28 and 50 overall respectively and should be ready in 24/25.  Ideally, maybe that gets you your 3B and LF of the future and Chas slides over to play right after Tucker and Bregman are gone.   Baltimores dance card is pretty full in the IF and they have a couple really highly rated OF'ers on the come- but nobody that projects as good as Framber- plus he's cheap. That's the moves Houston made in the same part of their competitive window in trading for JV and Cole- both who had 2 years left on their deals just like Framber does.  

2024 you have:  JV/Javier/Brown/Urquidy/France, with LMJ and Garcia coming.  That's enough to make the playoffs. We probably aren't a 100 win team anymore we are a 90 or 92 win team- but if either LMJ or Garcia is back and healthy that's a rotation that's probably good enough to win a world series with if you get a little lucky.  

But, solving a hole at 3B and a hole in the OF makes you a playoff team in 26 and 27, whereas if you just play it out you probably aren't that.  Hell, maybe Ortiz plays SS (they said great glove) Mayo plays 3b and you trade Pena for a #3 type pitcher somewhere that is in his walk year to bridge the gap.

I don't know that I would do that, but if you wanted to it would make sense for both parties.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

WE talked a little bit about this on breathing orange fire the last 2 weeks (we are thought leaders- what can I say?) and in my mind the Orioles are an ideal match up if you were going to trade Framber.  They have a team ready made to go, more prospects than they have spots for and great need for pitching.  I am not saying the Astros are going to do it, but it would make a lot of sense if they got something like Coby Mayo and (3B/1b/LF prospect) and Ortiz (SS/up the middle) who are 28 and 50 overall respectively and should be ready in 24/25.  Ideally, maybe that gets you your 3B and LF of the future and Chas slides over to play right after Tucker and Bregman are gone.   Baltimores dance card is pretty full in the IF and they have a couple really highly rated OF'ers on the come- but nobody that projects as good as Framber- plus he's cheap. That's the moves Houston made in the same part of their competitive window in trading for JV and Cole- both who had 2 years left on their deals just like Framber does.  

2024 you have:  JV/Javier/Brown/Urquidy/France, with LMJ and Garcia coming.  That's enough to make the playoffs. We probably aren't a 100 win team anymore we are a 90 or 92 win team- but if either LMJ or Garcia is back and healthy that's a rotation that's probably good enough to win a world series with if you get a little lucky.  

But, solving a hole at 3B and a hole in the OF makes you a playoff team in 26 and 27, whereas if you just play it out you probably aren't that.  Hell, maybe Ortiz plays SS (they said great glove) Mayo plays 3b and you trade Pena for a #3 type pitcher somewhere that is in his walk year to bridge the gap.

I don't know that I would do that, but if you wanted to it would make sense for both parties.  

If we stay reasonably healthy this season we are winning more than 90-92 games. We won 90 last season with significant injuries to Altuve and Yordan to name a few. Add the fact we dont have the human anchor as a manager, we'll be closer to 100 than 90. 

2 minutes ago, texashorne said:

If we stay reasonably healthy this season we are winning more than 90-92 games. We won 90 last season with significant injuries to Altuve and Yordan to name a few. Add the fact we dont have the human anchor as a manager, we'll be closer to 100 than 90. 

What's our current projection for o/u? Lazy and drinking margs at Alma; my wife is flying to Vegas right now and looking to throw some money down. Any other bets loom good, too?

Feels like a question aimed at @Wulaw Hornor @henrygandorf, def not towards @UTPhil2006. He still owes me money something. I don't know what exactly but I'm sure he does. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Yeah- I have us at 100 more or less if we do nothing. I was saying if we trade Framber and substitute JP France for him instead (or urquidy) and get at all banged up I'd have us closer to 92 or so.  You know if- we traded Framber for propsects that you'd expect to see in 25 taking over for Bregman or the like. I'm with you on 100 though as I doubt we'd do that.  

44 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

What's our current projection for o/u? Lazy and drinking margs at Alma; my wife is flying to Vegas right now and looking to throw some money down. Any other bets loom good, too?

Feels like a question aimed at @Wulaw Hornor @henrygandorf, def not towards @UTPhil2006. He still owes me money something. I don't know what exactly but I'm sure he does. 

You can't get that many places and where you can it's a super low bet.  WE are like +1000 to +1200 to win it all. My guess is we open at something like 93.5 when they start getting serious about making the lines. And, I'm pounding the over if that's the number. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

There's 1 rule that all Astros fans agree about and that's don't talk shit about Altuve.  You can lovingly make fun of his base running and pitch selection, but it goes no further than that.

The threats to this lady absolutely suck, but I hope she realizes she has been gifted the opportunity to write an all-time column.

"I had an outsider's opinion of Jose Altuve, but then I did my own research..." would instantly redeem her within the fanbase and, with her apparent ability to draw attention, could get some national play.

• Hook 'Em 1

Feels like a question aimed at [mention=5267]Wulaw Horn[/mention]or [mention=509]henrygandorf[/mention], def not towards [mention=530]UTPhil2006[/mention]. He still owes me money something. I don't know what exactly but I'm sure he does. 
Horseshoe in LC had us at o/u 88.5 about 3 weeks ago
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, Macklemore said:

She is absolutely pathetic. Pulling the fake suicidal ideation card to get people to feel sorry for her then nuking her Twitter account for “mental health” reasons. Embarrassing to see from a UT grad. This was the First Take segment about her unprofessional exchange with Brian Kelly.

I hadn't seen the First Take clip so thanks for digging it up, but I agree with Stephen A here. His comments were very tame, not very animated for him, and in no way attacked her unnecessarily. He correctly blamed her for making it an issue. Surprisingly, that was one of the most grown-up and civil clips I have ever seen from that dumb show. 

She made the story about her, she created the distraction, and attacked her teams coach in the process. She is lucky she didn't lose her job or press access from LSU over it. I do find it funny that here clapback of him not winning the game had nothing to do with her being late. She claimed a doctor's appointment is why she was a late, which means she would have been late if LSU won. That's a sign of a pathological liar, trying to avoid accountability and focus blame on others. 

She did apologize, which he noted was the right thing to do, but it was a non-story that never should have happened. There must have been some severe backlash from LSU fans or something else on the side, because nothing in that clip would seem to rock someone's mental well-being. She sounds exactly like a few Surly posters type though, so we may see her show up in some other threads in the future...

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So, the chronicle did absolutely no due diligence before hiring this vapid millennial?

She graduated from UT in 2017 which would make her Gen Z, which is even worse than being millennial. You can tell by her shrill, ill-informed takes which she attempted to walk back by pulling the lame “mental health” card. Pure Gen Z bullshit. If she wanted to talk shit like a normal fan, she should have made a separate burner Twitter handle. She has a history of creating drama with the teams she is covering. That should have been a huge red flag for the Chronicle. They should pull her offer after seeing how immaturely she has handled things and cynically and falsely using suicidal ideation and mental health as a reason to nuke her Twitter account. The Chronicle recently removed the ability to comment on articles. The only avenue for public engagement left with Chronicle staff is on Twitter 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2