Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

Today is the deadline for teams to exchange salary figures with their arbitration eligible players. For the Astros, this is Valdez, Tucker, Urquidy, Dubon, Garcia, Abreu and McCormick. The Astros are currently projected over the CBT, but the Astros could balance that line by having salaries that are agreed upon to lower the number. (Which I think you should pay the players what they are worth and not low ball them) Per FanGraphs, they are projecting: -Valdez: $12,100,000 -Tucker: $12,600,000 -Urquidy: $3,500,000 -Dubon: $3,100,000 -Garcia: $2,100,000 -Abreu: $2,000,000 -McCormick: $3,100,000 REMINDER: Salary figures are not factoring in postseason play, just regular season stats. The Astros will try to settle with their players today, if they don't, then they will most likely head to arbitration. The team has used this deadline as a "file and trial" type. Per Jeff Passan, the deadline is noon CT. Right now, the Astros are projected $390K over the CBT.

10 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Do not at all understand any Dubon hate.  A guy they acquired in exchange for…checks notes…Mike Papierski, plays 7 positions well, almost never strikes out, and ran into double digit homers last season.  He also seems like a genuinely good kid who is well liked by his veteran/star teammates.  How the hell you think that’s not worth a measly $3M is beyond me, especially considering how old and/or injury prone the Astros will be at 2B, 1B, 3B, and CF.

All of that. 

He earned that money for last year when he was subbing for ... checks notes ... Jose Fucking Altuve for the first two months of the season. He played great and absolutely what was needed. Kind of a weird place to start pinching pennies. 

God bless him. 

Pay him. 

59 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I think Dubon hate is transference of Dusty hate for his misuse. He’s an asset as a utility player. But he should stay that instead of taking starts away in the OF. Hopefully that won’t be an issue anymore.

I think it's that and how bad he was the year prior.  He was a solid utility player last year that played great defense.  Those guys don't typically have repeat years like that.  But 3.1mm is nothing, and if that's hampering our budget then it just is what it is.  You can't go buy a better player on the market for 3.1MM

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I think Dubon hate is transference of Dusty hate for his misuse. He’s an asset as a utility player. But he should stay that instead of taking starts away in the OF. Hopefully that won’t be an issue anymore.

This is me. I fucking hate Maldonado more than any human being onthis planet and really really dislike Dubon and it’s irrational because it’s not like either one of them kept writing their names on the fucking lineup card instead of Diaz or Chas. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

hard pass

2023 first half mvp

Paying $3.1M for a guy with career OBP under .300 is how you fucking kill a dynasty. Even in his career season of 2023, his OBP was .309. The dude fucking sucks at the most important skill in baseball, getting on base. When he reverts to his career of near .650 OPS level play everyone will agree it sucks having to spend this much for a JAG.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Paying $3.1M for a guy with career OBP under .300 is how you fucking kill a dynasty. Even in his career season of 2023, his OBP was .309. The dude fucking sucks at the most important skill in baseball, getting on base. When he reverts to his career of near .650 OPS level play everyone will agree it sucks having to spend this much for a JAG.

If you think spending less than 1.5% of one season’s payroll on a utility player is in any way going to “kill a dynasty”, lmfao at you.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

Leon isn’t a MLB ball player on offense or defense.  

Is he not on defense either?  I thought they liked him in the field. If they don’t like him in the field they should just cut bait bc he’s got no chance. 

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Is he not on defense either?  I thought they liked him in the field. If they don’t like him in the field they should just cut bait bc he’s got no chance. 

I think he’s playable as an outfielder if he can hit (which he can’t), but he’s not going to be a defensive replacement candidate on this team, even with his rocket for an arm.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

If you think spending less than 1.5% of one season’s payroll on a utility player is in any way going to “kill a dynasty”, lmfao at you.

You beat me too it.  With all due respect, 3.1 mm on a one year arbitration deal is about as benign a contract as exists.  Spending 40mm a year for 10 years on a guy that falls apart in year 3 is how you kill a dynasty.  Paying a guy 3mm does nothing to anything

Edited by uoftorange
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Is this a joke? Are you joking?

• Haha 1

If we’re gonna bitch about bad contracts, the Astros are gonna spend $51M on 4 pitchers, NONE of whom will be in the opening day starting rotation.  I have been pretty surprised that Houston has not been able to find a single great homegrown late inning RP except Abreu in the last half decade.

On 1/13/2024 at 7:46 AM, formermav43 said:

Pretty much.  That and people saying he should have made the asg and was the 1st half team mvp.  None of that was his fault though.

• Hook 'Em 1