Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

LOL. WTF Dana. The whole reason he was hired because he locked up Atlanta’s young talent. 

Are you trying to give Brown credit for contract extensions authored by Alex Anthopoulos?

If anything, the fact Crane led the signing is further evidence he doesn’t trust this GM.  

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

LMJ just said that July is an aggressive time line 

Mad Arthur GIF by MOODMAN

Seriously.

I’m starting to feel about lmj like I did about Brantley.

anything we get from him …ever…will be a welcome surprise.

or he’ll finally be healthy the 5th year of that deal and some other sucker will pay him way more than they should in FA

I'm really curious to see if Bregman can step it up in a contract year, he has been nowhere close to the guy in 2018 and 2019 that was a 8-9 bWAR monster. I know some of the struggles are injury related, but it's hard not to notice that the big money extension kicked in right as the downward trend started.

7 hours ago, APMP said:

I'm really curious to see if Bregman can step it up in a contract year, he has been nowhere close to the guy in 2018 and 2019 that was a 8-9 bWAR monster. I know some of the struggles are injury related, but it's hard not to notice that the big money extension kicked in right as the downward trend started.

The balls were very juicy then. Bregman hits a lot of wall scrapers. I think the two are at least somewhat related. Also- guys have career seasons. Age 26-28 are typically when they are most likely to happen. 
that guy probably doesn’t exist ever anymore. This 4 WAR guy ever had every year since that’s a borderline all star does. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The balls were very juicy then. Bregman hits a lot of wall scrapers. I think the two are at least somewhat related. Also- guys have career seasons. Age 26-28 are typically when they are most likely to happen. 
that guy probably doesn’t exist ever anymore. This 4 WAR guy ever had every year since that’s a borderline all star does. 

Yeah it’s more the juiced baseball than anything for him, I think.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Scraps said:
51 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:
Thanks for the greatest Astros sports gif in history
always loved this guy…and his crazy wife 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2aFOZ8uezZ/?igsh=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ==

They divorced and hes with some other chick now womp womp

Haha

had no idea

well good for him, but boring for us 

• Like 1

Can you imagine being a first year manager and your bullpen now has two of the best closers in the game who throw from opposite sides? Not to mention one of the best setup men in the game.  And the sea anchor catcher who the pitchers loved is gone off the roster and you have a projected 5 WAR improvement at the position.  

There's no way that Espada can fuck this up.  Right?  RIGHT?!?!?

Other things I love about this coming season:

1. Bregman in a walk year.  He has always seemed like a player who plays the best when he feels like he has something to prove.

2. Abreu's back is better (?)

3. I have confidence that Espada will not have a personal vendetta that keeps him from penciling in a top 10 CF into the lineup almost everyday.

4.  Verlander from day 1 should reduce wear on young arms like last season.

5.  Brown with another full season of Verlander influence.

6. Tuck gonna Tuck, Altuve gonna Altuve, and Yordan gonna Yordan.

Things I don't love about this upcoming season.

1. Pena is a huge question mark.  He's fine defensively and maybe now we can absorb his offensive hole in the 9 spot better without Maldy behind him?  I'm ambivalent at this point whether it's Pena or Dubon or even Kessinger at SS.

2. Very little faith in Meyers as a 4th OF. 

3. Abreu's back stays better?

4. Framber decline?

Now, let's get that LH hitting OF and knock the rest of the AL's dick in the dirt.

• Hook 'Em 6

53 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Can you imagine being a first year manager and your bullpen now has two of the best closers in the game who throw from opposite sides? Not to mention one of the best setup men in the game.  And the sea anchor catcher who the pitchers loved is gone off the roster and you have a projected 5 WAR improvement at the position.  

1. Bregman in a walk year.  He has always seemed like a player who plays the best when he feels like he has something to prove.

3. I have confidence that Espada will not have a personal vendetta that keeps him from penciling in a top 10 CF into the lineup almost everyday.

1. Pena is a huge question mark.  He's fine defensively and maybe now we can absorb his offensive hole in the 9 spot better without Maldy behind him?  I'm ambivalent at this point whether it's Pena or Dubon or even Kessinger at SS.

4. Framber decline?

Now, let's get that LH hitting OF and knock the rest of the AL's dick in the dirt.

Just all depends which pitcher(s) we lose to season ending injury and when.

hopefully our 2024 sacrifice was just graveman (and LMJ when he inevitably isn’t ready until sept)

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

4. Framber decline?

Peña’s basically a league average hitter who is a plus defender. That’s fine as the worst spot in the lineup-it’s not even really a hole. (And he was still better than Dubon by wRC+. It’s amazing how narratives warp our expectations).

Meyers is fine as a 4th OF. As long as he’s actually the 4th OF.

• Hook 'Em 6

Make a trip to CC and go see the Hooks. I’ve been going every year since year 1. If you need some recs just ask 

2015 Corpus Christi Hooks were stacked.

Carlos Correa
Tony Kemp
Brett Phillips
Teoscar Hernandez
Colin Moran
AJ Reed
Tyler White

Lance McCullers Jr
Chris Devenski
Josh Hader
Joe Musgrove
Vince Velasquez
Michael Feliz
Mark Appel

Edited by tx 3 putt

Choadler is such a little prick. 1st question he asks in Hader presser "have you and Presslys paths ever crossed in the past and do you feel like you need to reach out to him before spring training?"

I should have punched this dude in his fucking fave at the airport when I had the chance

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1