"The Holdovers" -- new Alexander Payne/Paul Giamatti movie

C-Man

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You people are confusing me.  I can’t decide whether or not to watch it.  Please get your shit together.

it's not nearly as funny as sideways but it's a nice little movie and worth watching.

12 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You people are confusing me.  I can’t decide whether or not to watch it.  Please get your shit together.

Watch it. If you do not enjoy this movie I am honestly not sure what to tell you. It’s funny, emotionally raw and you feel good after watching it. 

26 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I liked it.   It’s Dead Poet Society if Robin Williams was a dick and everyone hated him.  

Perfect.

Holdovers reminded me a lot of DPS but I couldn't think of a good way to describe the difference - you nailed it.

On 1/8/2024 at 1:36 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Solid storytelling, good not great.

It was fine. Giamatti and the kid were good. I have no idea how she won an award for that movie. She didn’t have many lines and she wasn’t very moving. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great movie. Cross between Dead Poet Society, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf, and The Shining.

Excellent filming like it was actually shot in 1970 except for the 3 point line thing and I believe the Dr. Pepper on the night stand was a little too current and the eye switch thing too.

Acting was great and the setting was like another world in a time gone by like The Godfather, The Lord of the Rings, or an Old Jamea Bond film.

It will join my Xmas rotation.

4.5 Die Hards out of 5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was perfectly happy seeing Cillian Murphy win last night because Oppenheimer was that damn good and I've always liked Murphy back to the first time I saw him in 28 Days Later (I think). Giamatti is so, so good though and I'm sure he'll get one some day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Alexander Payne’s ‘The Holdovers’ Accused of Plagiarism by ‘Luca’ Writer

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/the-holdovers-accused-plagiarism-luca-writer-1235935605/

In recent weeks, after Stephenson’s exchange with Mackey went nowhere, he shot off an email on Feb. 25 to the WGA board with the subject line: “An urgent plea for help from a WGA writer in a truly extraordinary situation.” He wrote, “I can demonstrate beyond any possible doubt that the meaningful entirety of the screenplay for a film with WGA-sanctioned credits that is currently on track to win a screenwriting Oscar has been plagiarised line-by-line from a popular unproduced screenplay of mine. I can also show that the director of the offending film was sent and read my screenplay on two separate occasions prior to the offending film entering development. By ‘meaningful entirety’ I do mean literally everything- story, characters, structure, scenes, dialogue, the whole thing. Some of it is just insanely brazen: many of the most important scenes are effectively unaltered and even remain visibly identical in layout on the page.”

He continued: “I’ve been a working writer for 20 years – in my native UK before I came to the US – and so I’m very aware that people can often have surprisingly similar ideas and sometimes a few elements can be ‘borrowed’ etc. This just isn’t that situation. The two screenplays are forensically identical and riddled with unique smoking guns throughout.”

Long article, but really interesting- and pretty convincing honestly.