THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Reality is CFB is one weekend and really only two games away from 4 undefeateds. It’s unprecedented. So yeah, going on the road to Bama and winning doesn’t matter in that scenario because we’ll, prevent defenses suck donkey dick.

Agreed. I should clarify.  My comment is based on UW or FSU losing next week. I have no issue with an undefeated P5 conference champ being in the top 4

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

They were ahead based on eye test. You’re ignoring the consequences of this week. We just got “eye test points” by beating down Tech, as well as “common opponent points.” Their Utah win has also lost all of its luster. While no certainty they make the right call, this all very much sets up the committee to reevaluate and put us in front of Oregon in this week’s rankings. 

I don’t believe this happens. Their win was still better in the grand scheme of things.

IMG_2501.thumb.jpeg.17ec6f3bb1099ccf898a2c19eff0f38f.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I don’t believe this happens. Their win was still better in the grand scheme of things.

IMG_2501.thumb.jpeg.17ec6f3bb1099ccf898a2c19eff0f38f.jpeg

Great, “don’t believe” all you want. But all least be intellectually honest and recognize it’s a possibility. And that Oregon beating Wash gives at least an opportunity for argument, the inverse does not. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

It's really incredible.  This was the AP poll after we lost to OU:

image.png.a2ac49b04ca30f1385799ce7a3bdcfc5.png

Other than a shitty OU team's 2 losses, in 7 weeks there have been no losses by any of these teams to anyone outside of this group.  Penn St loss to both Mich and Ohio St, Oregon loss to Washington, and Ohio State lost to Michigan today.

Yeah, every year people start overreacting in early November about how many undefeated teams there will be, how many 1-loss teams, etc.

... and every year none of those arguments matter because there are a TON of November upsets and it all works itself out.  

But this year there's been a really unusual lack of upsets in the top 10.

I do think that we have a legitimate argument over Oregon compared to 48 hours ago... tougher schedule, more wins over bowl teams, best win, dramatic difference in how we played our common opponent.  They stayed ahead of us after  their loss based on an "eyeball" test, but a good chunk of that was while we were playing with a backup QB.  And there's a lot more objective criteria now than eyeballs.  

Our resume is clearly stronger than Oregon's.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

I'm just pissed off but my rationale is NIL is taking shape with no limits and there is less parity and more outright dominance pf the richest/top programs. 

Probably a lot of truth to this. Texas, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio state, Georgia - there’s half the top 10 and arguably the 5 deepest pockets. Bama isn’t far off I’m sure. 

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

Great, “don’t believe” all you want. But all least be intellectually honest and recognize it’s a possibility. And that Oregon beating Wash gives at least an opportunity for argument, the inverse does not. 

I’m just ignoring the PAC 12. They are in. We need to look elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

They were ahead based on eye test. You’re ignoring the consequences of this week. We just got “eye test points” by beating down Tech, as well as “common opponent points.” Their Utah win has also lost all of its luster. While no certainty they make the right call, this all very much sets up the committee to reevaluate and put us in front of Oregon in this week’s rankings. 

Why is everyone so preoccupied with Oregon?

At best, we are currently viewed as a toss up with them in the eyes of the committee. If they add a win against Washington, that will clearly put them ahead. If they don’t, then they’ll fall out of the picture. Just seems like wasted energy worrying about them.

Just now, derpyhorndog said:

Well, congrats on that, not so much on your CFP prognostication. 

I get it. I watch that shit every Tuesday night. Committee was high on Oregon. I feel like Washington wins out. There’s a spot. Michigan will get the other spot. (Unless Ferentz suddenly has some signs that confuse them.) Georgia I think beats Bama. There’s the third. If FSU also loses their title game and we win our game I feel like we get the last spot. Over even a 2 loss Oregon, 1 loss Ohio state blah blah blah. I didn’t obviously put in Florida State losing in my original post. There will be a Pac12 team in there. I’d prefer it be Washington. Obviously I am not making sense. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, troph said:

I get that, but nothing good comes from OU advancing, ever. Fuck that. 

If we’re worried about playing OU, we’ve got bigger problems. 

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I didn’t finish the point which is FSU must also lose. I updated my new iPhone and I’m still kinda dealing with the changes and shit on it. 

Does your iPhone have updates with husky pics?  Weird update. 

• Haha 1

At best, we are currently viewed as a toss up with them in the eyes of the committee. If they add a win against Washington, that will clearly put them ahead. If they don’t, then they’ll fall out of the picture. Just seems like wasted energy worrying about them.
Yep. They are already ahead of us. If they win, their conference championship win is against a top 3 team. Ours would be against Okie Lite. Advantage Oregon. No matter the margins of victory.

FSU losing to Louisville and Michigan losing to Iowa seems like our only hope to get in.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If Ducks and Tide both win next week, our resume will remain objectively better than the Ducks’ going into selection. With one lone exception, the “eye test,” which we also have another opportunity to bridge the gap on next week. 

Directly to your question, we’re preoccupied because we’re fucking running out of clear options (e.g., FSU loss), and this is one of the few even remotely left on the table. And because we’re discussing theoreticals are discussed for entertainment…one of the primary purposes of sports message boards. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You're probably right.  

I think people are focused on them because the rankings have a ton of week-to-week momentum.  We should be getting the nod over them for now.  If they beat Washington, that would be a huge feather for their cap.

Louisville (certain scenario) and Bama (best toss up scenario) that’s about it unless Iowa pulls a Steelers roll left. 
Do we really think if Bama beats Georgia, that the committee leaves out the SEC from the playoffs? I just don't see that happening. ESPN runs college football and they aren't leaving their golden child conference in the dark.

I feel the winner of the SEC and Pac 12 games get in. Leaving 2 spots. Michigan is almost a lock to beat Iowa. Leaving 1 spot. Which is either us or Florida State. They win, they are absolutely in, even though they will get drilled the first game.

I guess we could hope Iowa wins as that puts us in but how likely is that?
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Oregon, and Bama win.  Three 1 loss conference champions and we have a head to head against one of them and a common opponent with the other.  What does the committee do.  Michigan, FSU (if they win), then 2 out of those 3 with those circumstances. 

Yormark calls the CFP to say leave out Texas?

• Rage+1 1

Winning a conference championship is the goal and will be awesome if we can finish it off.  But if the bowl game prize for that is the Fiesta Bowl vs Tulane or whoever the top ranked group of 5 team is, that will be somewhat disappointing. Hopefully some of the good scenarios for us pan out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Do we really think if Bama beats Georgia, that the committee leaves out the SEC from the playoffs? I just don't see that happening. ESPN runs college football and they aren't leaving their golden child conference in the dark.

I feel the winner of the SEC and Pac 12 games get in. Leaving 2 spots. Michigan is almost a lock to beat Iowa. Leaving 1 spot. Which is either us or Florida State. They win, they are absolutely in, even though they will get drilled the first game.

I guess we could hope Iowa wins as that puts us in but how likely is that?

It’s the best toss up scenario, do I think Texas is in if Bama wins? Honestly I don’t know. Other than that Iowa and Louisville, that’s it. Oregon wins they take WA’s place. And that ends the scenarios for next week.

Edited by troph

I really hope there is some politic'ing behind the scenes to get us above Oregon this week in the coaches and AP poll. That may influence the CPF committee. Frankly, we should have been in front of Oregon once they lost to Washington but now after this week we've added a data point of common opponent. Hopefully that added data point can push us over the edge.

Outside of that, prepare your anus to be ranked 5th next Sunday.

Edited by Hmbre97

If Bama wins they will end a winning streak that goes back to December 4, 2021. That's some powerful shit right there.   I know we beat them but between that, the SEC etc they are probably getting in.  We've been there before watching an OU team we beat on the field play for a championship.  Fucking  sucks.  

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I think Texas would be in and Oregon would be out

If they avenge their only loss to WA, I hope but I don’t see it. That was our route before OU shit the bed, beat a top 5 team next week. Now Oregon gets that narrative.

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

If Bama wins they will end a winning streak that goes back to December 4, 2021. That's some powerful shit right there.   I know we beat them but between that, the SEC etc they are probably getting in.  We've been there before watching an OU team we beat on the field play for a championship.  Fucking  sucks.  

Herbstreit said they wont get in over us. Just FYI. 

Just now, troph said:

If they avenge their only loss to WA, I hope but I don’t see it. That was our route before OU shit the bed, beat a top 5 team next week. Now Oregon gets that narrative.

New data point hits though. Texas now owns the best win in the country and has a win over another playoff team and the SEC champion. We will go over Oregon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The only debate would be Oregon but if they beat an undefeated Washington and avenge their lone loss, that's going to win the day over us beating oSu. Like it or not, the Pac 12 is getting a lot of cache this year. Winning that will carry a lot more weight than winning the Big 12. And no, beating OU would've made no difference. That ship sailed when OU lost a 2nd game. It's not the same as beating undefeated Washington. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

New data point hits though. Texas now owns the best win in the country and has a win over another playoff team and the SEC champion. We will go over Oregon. 

I hope so. None of these feel good except Louisville.  I’m 50-50 on Bama. 40-60 on Oregon. 

Edited by troph

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. They are already ahead of us. If they win, their conference championship win is against a top 3 team. Ours would be against Okie Lite. Advantage Oregon. No matter the margins of victory.

FSU losing to Louisville and Michigan losing to Iowa seems like our only hope to get in.

After that things could get interesting if chaos erupts next weekend. But if the favorites all win we will be the odd man out of the P5 champions.

Can't do anything but beat Oklahoma State and get that Big 12 trophy. Then hope for madness...or just Louisville beating FSU.

Edited by Valmy77

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]