THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Sure.  All that LOOKS right.  But then it’s Bama slaying Georgia.  Again, no idea why you’d be so comfortable not caring who wins that game.  Georgia wins and you’re guaranteed in with a FSU loss, but the Great Hornsby wants to leave it in the hands of the committee?  Lol

I didn’t say what would happen.  I did say what you guys should root for.  Cool paragraph though.  

There are many reasons. One, that game occurs BEFORE the ACC championship game and, two, I think Texas goes over Bama and Georgia in that situation. 

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

There are many reasons. One, that game occurs BEFORE the ACC championship game and, two, I think Texas goes over Bama and Georgia in that situation

Agree.  Just saying Georgia wins and there’s no situation.  It’s very black and white.  FSU loses and you’re golden.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s not nearly as simple as if Georgia just wins.  

It's the same simple. A non conference champ has never gotten in over a conference champ of equal record. Multiple times a conference champ has jumped a non conference of champ of equal record. Maybe this is the year they blow a decade of precedent. But I feel like that is substantially less likely than both Alabama and Texas getting in if it is a three way race between them and Oregon. So I'll root for the option that provides the most pathways for Texas to advance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Im calling my shot: Gumps beat the deliverance boys, we score 70 on Okie lite thus pitting 

#1 Meatchicken vs #4 Pac12 

#2 Gumps vs #3 Longhorns (the highest ratings of any CFP semifinal in HISTORY) 

Think about the money boys.  Ol Sankey will be claiming 2 SEC teams in the playoffs,  ad revenue through the roof, and all is right in the world.  

Here's the list of P5 non-conference ranked opponents faced by the current top 8 teams:

• #11 Texas vs #3 Alabama
  • #6 Ohio St vs #9 Notre Dame
  • #8 Florida St vs #5 LSU
  • Michigan, Washington, Oregon, Georgia vs nobody

There aren't enough games between conferences to determine who is better.  The committee is just picking the four 12-0 teams this week.

If you wanted to pick a weak conference ... well .... the SEC went 0-2 in those top games, both upsets, both by double digits.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Here's the list of P5 non-conference ranked opponents faced by the current top 8 teams:

• #11 Texas vs #3 Alabama
  • #6 Ohio St vs #9 Notre Dame
  • #8 Florida St vs #5 LSU
  • Michigan, Washington, Oregon, Georgia vs nobody

There aren't enough games between conferences to determine who is better.  The committee is just picking the four 12-0 teams this week.

If you wanted to pick a weak conference ... well .... the SEC went 0-2 in those top games, both upsets, both by double digits.

Using the rankings at the time is pointless. 

3 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

The scenario seem pretty clear for us to get in.  More interestingly, tell me who to root for this weekend for us to get a first round date with FSU.  Is there any way that can be the 2-3 game?

Iowa destroys Michigan, georgia gets pounded by Alabama and the Pac 12 champ game gets hit by an asteroid.  

even then maybe the buckeye slips in aHead of us 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It's the same simple. A non conference champ has never gotten in over a conference champ of equal record. Multiple times a conference champ has jumped a non conference of champ of equal record. Maybe this is the year they blow a decade of precedent. But I feel like that is substantially less likely than both Alabama and Texas getting in if it is a three way race between them and Oregon. So I'll root for the option that provides the most pathways for Texas to advance. 

Man, no idea what you're looking at but even with Oregon and UW leaving the PAC, there's WAY too much sentimental shit out there for the PAC. Oregon or Washington are 100% guaranteed to get in.  

3 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

The scenario seem pretty clear for us to get in.  More interestingly, tell me who to root for this weekend for us to get a first round date with FSU.  Is there any way that can be the 2-3 game?

Hmm. Iowa, FSU, Alabama, and Washington maybe? Washington #1, FSU #2, Texas #3, and Alabama #4? 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Man, no idea what you're looking at but even with Oregon and UW leaving the PAC, there's WAY too much sentimental shit out there for the PAC. Oregon or Washington are 100% guaranteed to get in.  

Nope. Washington is 100% getting in if they win. If Oregon wins, it isn't 100%. Sure, are the odds high? Yes, especially since the committee has repeatedly put them over us. I'm not arguing that. But, if it's down to Oregon and Texas, the committee at least has to answer themselves. Even if Oregon has a 99% chance, that still gives Texas a chance. Texas has no chance with Washington winning.

Some of y'all are being intentionally obtuse.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'm betting on the pro SEC sentiment, our head to head win versus Bama, and oregon's downy soft SOS. The committee will want to take Bama. But they'll have heart burn leaving us out given the head to head. SOS and games against common opponents (both literal criteria in the committee guidelines) give the committee an easy way to drop Oregon. 

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

FSU loss with a Washington win is my ideal scenario. I don’t want Oregon even sniffing the playoffs at this point.

Washington is a worse matchup for us. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Well the disrespect works in our favor.   A pissed off Texas will kick the shit out of osu.   

when it comes to Oregon, it’s the Bo Nix heisman hype we need to overcome.  Think a little orthogonally here.   So who on our roster would be be a bigger playoff tv draw than big bad Bo nix?   Well it’s simple.   Young Arch Manning subbing in for a hurt QE and blowing out OSU is all it would take.  

2 minutes ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

Nope. Washington is 100% getting in if they win. If Oregon wins, it isn't 100%. Sure, are the odds high? Yes, especially since the committee has repeatedly put them over us. I'm not arguing that. But, if it's down to Oregon and Texas, the committee at least has to answer themselves. Even if Oregon has a 99% chance, that still gives Texas a chance. Texas has no chance with Washington winning.

BOTH teams are currently ranked ahead of us in the CFP... one team (either) beats a team ahead of us in the CFP and you saying there is a chance the committee drops the winner below us?

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

Of course - I agree.  But I started all this saying you want two things and it's 100% you're in.  FSU loss.  Georgia win.  Then you're in no matter what.  Someone else brought up the over Oregon path.  It gets no simpler than Georgia win and FSU loss.  But I got pushback on that hearing about some path with Oregon etc.  No, just those two things.  You wanna talk about simple?  What path is more simple than that?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Well the disrespect works in our favor.   A pissed off Texas will kick the shit out of osu.   

when it comes to Oregon, it’s the Bo Nix heisman hype we need to overcome.  Think a little orthogonally here.   So who on our roster would be be a bigger playoff tv draw than big bad Bo nix?   Well it’s simple.   Young Arch Manning subbing in for a hurt QE and blowing out OSU is all it would take.  

Gimme what you're smoking.  Nobody will give one flying fuck about you guys beating OSU as bad as UCF did.  LOL

14 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Speaking of the polls. Why is this guy allowed anywhere near our facilities?

Screenshot_20231128_204355_Chrome.thumb.jpg.162470f2d1299f22eaa17e8379ab20db.jpg

What? He is fucking doing it again?

He groveled and begged for forgiveness for 2005 and he fucking just does it again? He probably voted us #3 in 2008 to. Fuck him forever man. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The committee has a hard on for Oregon. We need them to beat UW because we’re not passing them. 

Lesser hard on for Ohio State, but still full chubb. The CFP bangs the table all the time about conference championships, so we should move in front of Ohio State with a win. 

We also need a Louisville win.

It sounds like a crazy parlay. I’m trying to talk myself into it. Oregon should beat UW. Florida State is starting a back up QB against an 11 win team on a neutral field. I just have this gut feeling the Cards let us down.

And we're not passing UW if they win either. The result of the PAC12 title game doesn't matter to Texas.

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

FSU loss with a Washington win is my ideal scenario. I don’t want Oregon even sniffing the playoffs at this point.

This plus Georgia win is the only way to root. It is mindnumbing and ludicrous that posters not only disagree with this but also are ridiculing others for having the most logical take. 

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Gimme what you're smoking.  Nobody will give one flying fuck about you guys beating OSU as bad as UCF did.  LOL

It isn't about who we beat, it's about we would he the Big 12 Champs and the committee has shown they give conference champions the nod over non champions in the past. 

15 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

If FSU loses and Bama wins both Texas and Bama go. Simple.

Quit rooting for Bama... same people that are rooting for Bama this weekend are the ones who rooted for OU to lose during regular season, which really fucked us. Our ticket to the CFP was OU winning out and us beating them in the BIG 12 championship. If Bama wins, you can bet your ass the committee will try to put both Georgia and Bama in.. We'll have a Pac 12, Big 10, SEC playoff.

Our hope right now is Washington wins, Georgia wins, Michigan wins, and Louisville wins. Oregon would be out and we'd jump Ohio state as a 12-1 conference champ to their 11-1 regular season record.

Can someone please explain to me why y'all insist it's good for Alabama to beat Georgia?

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

He is a punk ass bitch who voted for Reggie Bush over Vince Young. 

Kirk Bohls needs to explain his rankings cause they make no sense to me. He's always been the guy to throw Texas under the bus at every chance. Kinda like Jeff Ward on his radio program.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Quit rooting for Bama... same people that are rooting for Bama this weekend are the ones who rooted for OU to lose during regular season, which really fucked us. Our ticket to the CFP was OU winning out and us beating them in the BIG 12 championship. If Bama wins, you can bet your ass the committee will try to put both Georgia and Bama in.. We'll have a Pac 12, Big 10, SEC playoff.

Our hope right now is Washington wins, Georgia wins, Michigan wins, and Louisville wins. Oregon would be out and we'd jump Ohio state as a 12-1 conference champ to their 11-1 regular season record.

Can someone please explain to me why y'all insist it's good for Alabama to beat Georgia?

Kirk Bohls needs to explain his rankings cause they make no sense to me. He's always been the guy to throw Texas under the bus at every chance. Kinda like Jeff Ward on his radio program.

Where did I root for Bama? It just doesn’t matter who wins the SEC if FSU loses. Don’t be dense. 

2 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

It isn't about who we beat, it's about we would he the Big 12 Champs and the committee has shown they give conference champions the nod over non champions in the past. 

Yes that data point has you easily jump tOSU.  Just saying you're gonna get the nation's attention by brutalizing OSU?  *That was the post I replied to.*  Some fan fic about abusing OSU and Arch coming in for an injured Ewers to deliver an even bigger beat down than UCF did a month ago.  That means jack shit. 

1 hour ago, Hmbre97 said:

Nah, I'm not worried about Alabama unless they run Georgia out of the building like we did Tech. We have poll momentum over them much like Oregon has over us. There is no interesting story with Alabama either; no possible heisman winner, fatigue of seeing Bama in the playoff, our H2H win. 

I'd eat a pile of white crusted over dog shit if Alabama pulled out a squeeker over Georgia and got in over us if we handle our business vs OSU.

With or without utensils? 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Again, no. If Michigan loses, it only makes Ohio State look worse. If Michigan loses that only helps us if we win. 

Doesn’t matter.  The committee will decide the Big10 deserves a spot in the top four.     Kind of like all these years they stuck Norte Dame in there.    It didn’t matter they played a shit schedule, they were Norte Dame and the Big 10 schools like OSU and Michigan are treated the same.   

I looked at the bios of the members of this committee.   There isn’t one member on there who looks like they would be an ally for Texas when push comes to shove .   It’s skewed with members who have been involved either through their own education or careers in PAC 12, ACC and Big 10 country, particularly Ohio.     Biases matter.   

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

As far as game watching - 

I'll be pulling for Oregon Friday night (even if we don't have a shot at jumping them, I'd rather play them vs. Washington in the playoffs)

Saturday AM - Pulling for Texas

Saturday Afternoon - pulling for Bama 

Saturday Night - Pulling for Louisville and Iowa

We are way, way overdue for some upsets in these top teams this season.  Odds are very good that at least one will happen.  As long as it's not Washington or OSU, we'll have a shot. There would be nothing sweeter than Iowa over Michigan (a guy can dream).  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Doesn’t matter.  The committee will decide the Big10 deserves a spot in the top four.     Kind of like all these years they stuck Norte Dame in there.    It didn’t matter they played a shit schedule, they were Norte Dame and the Big 10 schools like OSU and Michigan are treated the same.   

I looked the bios of the members of this committee.   There isn’t one member on there who looks like the would be an ally for Texas when push comes to shove .   It’s skewed with members who have been involved either through their own education or careers in PAC 12, ACC and Big 10 country, particularly Ohio.     Biases matter.   

Lol now we’re getting a 1-loss big 10 loser in? Christ people. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Jewish Wang said:

This plus Georgia win is the only way to root. It is mindnumbing and ludicrous that posters not only disagree with this but also are ridiculing others for having the most logical take. 

It isn't logical. You're rooting for a scenario that locks us in to a single possibility to advance. If all games were played simultaneously, maybe it makes sense. But since we will not know the outcomes at the same time, we will want each outcome to give us the highest number of chances to advance. This is simple game theory. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The committee has a hard on for Oregon. We need them to beat UW because we’re not passing them. 

Lesser hard on for Ohio State, but still full chubb. The CFP bangs the table all the time about conference championships, so we should move in front of Ohio State with a win. 

We also need a Louisville win.

It sounds like a crazy parlay. I’m trying to talk myself into it. Oregon should beat UW. Florida State is starting a back up QB against an 11 win team on a neutral field. I just have this gut feeling the Cards let us down.

I might be retarded here - Alex Jones reference... 

But Washington sits at 12-0, Oregon sits at 11-1, Texas sits at 11-1... If Texas wins, we are 12-1 conference champ. If Washington wins they are 13-0 conference champs and Oregon sits at 11-2 conference loser. So why would you think it's better for Oregon to beat Washington?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Back when he first started covering Texas I put up with his sarcasm and mocking of the program because we did suck at the time. I thought he was just being fair.

But no, when Texas is good he does the same shit. He will attempt to damage and undermine and thwart our program every chance he gets and has. Then he won't even stick to his guns and then whines and cries. 

I don't even understand it. Texas playing in CFP or the BCS title game or Vince winning the Heisman would only help him and the Statesman. But I guess Curt feels differently.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, blutow said:

As far as game watching - 

I'll be pulling for Oregon Friday night (even if we don't have a shot at jumping them, I'd rather play them vs. Washington in the playoffs)

Saturday AM - Pulling for Texas

Saturday Afternoon - pulling for Bama 

Saturday Night - Pulling for Louisville and Iowa

We are way, way overdue for some upsets in these top teams this season.  Odds are very good that at least one will happen.  As long as it's not Washington or OSU, we'll have a shot. There would be nothing sweeter than Iowa over Michigan (a guy can dream).  

this is almost all wrong. lolol... glad your rooting has no impact on the outcome. haha.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]