THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do believe that the PAC 12 cannibalizes itself and takes care of a lot of this worrying. USC was much closer to beating Washington than people want to give them credit for. They were about to take the lead back with 8 minutes to go before going full implosion with penalties and play calling. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them get Oregon this weekend. Not to mention Washington has been flirting with disaster for a month. They still have to go play @ Oregon State next weekend after playing a super physical Utah team this week. 

Edited by ITHorn

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

We shouldn't be worrying about that. That's a dream at the moment. Right now the focus should be attaining our goal which is making and then winning the Big 12 championship game. Accomplish the goal first, then go get the dream. 

...do you think people idly playing out Playoff scenarios affects how the team will play against TCU?

• Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, WBT said:

How is Washington 5th with the best win among the undefeateds?

Washington needs to find a defense. 

32, 24, 33, 7 (lol ASU), 33, 42 the last few games given up. 

That will sort itself out - two top 15 teams and the Apple Cup in the next 3 games.  If they win those 3, they are deserving (pending Pac 12 champ results). 

6 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

The other 4 teams look better IMO, not saying you are wrong, but that’s just my personal eye ball test.  It will work itself out 

Just now, Js1 said:

Washington needs to find a defense. 

32, 24, 33, 7 (lol ASU), 33, 42 the last few games given up. 

That will sort itself out - two top 15 teams and the Apple Cup in the next 3 games.  If they win those 3, they are deserving (pending Pac 12 champ results). 

I don't necessarily disagree, I just enjoy pointing out the illegitmacy of the committee.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

I don't necessarily disagree, I just enjoy pointing out the illegitmacy of the committee.

Yeah, a bunch of humans in a room suck.  They can decide on their own criteria, and which ones are more important, and change that week to week. 

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

How is Washington 5th with the best win among the undefeateds?

There is no justification having Washington behind at the very least (especially) Michgan...Florida St and Georgia.  Georgia and Fla St have one win against a current top 25 CFP team.  Michigan has ZERO.  

Then, if you are going to rank Oregon as the top 1 loss team presumably having the best loss...that means you have rated Washington that much higher than Oklahoma which is No. 12 to overcome every single metric that Texas (AND ALABAMA) HAVE over Oregon.

• Hook 'Em 1

The committee has UW/Oregon tied at the hip, presumably because it was a close game and Oregon hasn't lost since.  Oregon has looked better, but lost H2H, so they stay behind UW. 

Sort of like Texas/Alabama, seemingly having their fates tied together, but Texas remains above them, even looking like crap, thanks to H2H. 

The next 3 weeks be like:

Buckle Up Caitlyn Jenner GIF by South Park

CFB fans gonna EAT in November.  Michigan/PSU, Michigan/Ohio State, UW/Utah, UW/Oregon State, Apple Cup, Oregon/USC, Civil War, Iron Bowl.  Georgia/Ole Miss, Georgia/Tenn

Homer Drool GIF

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Goddamn people need to get out of their heads about ISU. They’re terrible. It’s just some cold. 

People said the same thing about Houston. 

Iowa State is our toughest game remaining. It’s in Ames, they want nothing more than to beat big bad Texas on our way out the door, night game, and you can bet they will pull out every play they have in the book to beat us just one last time. They will be playing out of their minds just to beat us a last time, especially as a CFP favorite. They’ll be playing that game where they derailed Oklahoma State’s BCS hopes on loop the week of our game—bet. 

I think people need to get out of their heads that that game is an auto-win. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

...do you think people idly playing out Playoff scenarios affects how the team will play against TCU?

The idly is not the folks one wonders about. It is the ones that are getting all worked up this far out that seem new to college football. Then again if they are having fun being worked up and in a tizzy to each his own.

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The idly is not the folks one wonders about. It is the ones that are getting all worked up this far out that seem new to college football. Then again if they are having fun being worked up and in a tizzy to each his own.

It's not that they're new to college football, it's that we haven't ever been here in the CFP era. Thanks, Charlie and Tom!

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, a bunch of humans in a room suck.  They can decide on their own criteria, and which ones are more important, and change that week to week. 

That's really my main problem with this committee business. There is no set criteria for getting into the playoffs. It's just the whim of a group of people. The whole thing feels more like an invitational than an actual playoff. 

The BCS, for all its faults, at least was transparent. We knew exactly what it valued and projections for the rankings were usually pretty damn accurate iirc. 

I remember the media saying (while visibly bummed I might add) that Texas was going to be ahead of Cal the night before the final rankings came out in 04. 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

People said the same thing about Houston. 

Iowa State is our toughest game remaining. It’s in Ames, they want nothing more than to beat big bad Texas on our way out the door, night game, and you can bet they will pull out every play they have in the book to beat us just one last time. They will be playing out of their minds just to beat us a last time, especially as a CFP favorite. They’ll be playing that game where they derailed Oklahoma State’s BCS hopes on loop the week of our game—bet. 

I think people need to get out of their heads that that game is an auto-win. 

None of the next three should be considered gimmes. We've played meh football for a month, albeit mostly with a backup QB, but these three will be out for blood. And who knows what kind of Big 12 officiating fucky-fucky we're about to witness. Are we better than all three teams? Absolutely. But I don't think we're going to effortlessly steamroll all -- or any -- of them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The committee has UW/Oregon tied at the hip, presumably because it was a close game and Oregon hasn't lost since.  Oregon has looked better, but lost H2H, so they stay behind UW. 

Sort of like Texas/Alabama, seemingly having their fates tied together, but Texas remains above them, even looking like crap, thanks to H2H. 

The next 3 weeks be like:

Buckle Up Caitlyn Jenner GIF by South Park

CFB fans gonna EAT in November.  Michigan/PSU, Michigan/Ohio State, UW/Utah, UW/Oregon State, Apple Cup, Oregon/USC, Civil War, Iron Bowl.  Georgia/Ole Miss, Georgia/Tenn

Homer Drool GIF

This is a good post. Everyone is taking this CFP ranking as the final scenario. They have rankings a certain way in case certain things happen. If Ohio State beats Michigan they are the 1 seed, that's what they are saying here, not that they are currently the best team in the country. They have a win over ND and over PSU already, if they beat Michigan and get the B10 championship they get the top seed. 

Georgia can win out, but because of their soft as shit schedule they won't be the 1 seed without help, thats why they are 2

Michigan is #3 because they haven't played anyone and PSU is this weekend, they knock off PSU and Ohio State and they get the nod for #2 or #1 depending on how Georgia plays/looks. They lose to PSU and drop out of the top 8. They lose to both and they are barely top 15.

FSU is #4 because ACC is dogshit, but they are undefeated and they deserve to be in. They lose and they drop out of the top 10 altogether.

Washington #5 because they are the worst undefeated and Ohio State/Michigan automatically get bounced so they are in if they stay undefeated. 

Oregon #6 because see above + they know that they have to play again, if they lose and have 2 losses then see the next line

Texas #7 only 1 loss team that controls their destiny. Gets in top 4 with any additional losses than the already scheduled matchups between the top 6 teams and winning out

Alabama #8 see #7, tied at the hip. Everyone wants to see the rematch.

May I also remind you - last second loss in neutral site rivalry game that was obvious with anyone with eyes that it was just a weird fucking day + wins over 16/25 and potential matchup with at least top 15 OSU maybe top 10 if they win out:
 image.png.b88efb16d305c762fdbe86bda46cfb50.png image.png.7e3888d778093f35c73336da9f01d3b7.png

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

None of the next three should be considered gimmes. We've played meh football for a month, albeit mostly with a backup QB, but these three will be out for blood. And who knows what kind of Big 12 officiating fucky-fucky we're about to witness. Are we better than all three teams? Absolutely. But I don't think we're going to effortlessly steamroll all -- or any -- of them. 

We’ve played meh football bc of QB1 injury for the past 2.5 games. Just getting Ewers back makes us better. Here’s hoping he can truly go on Saturday 

All we can do is win out. If we win out and by some weird happenstance, there’s 4 undefeated P5 teams, which NEVER happens, to end the year, what can we do about it? It would be ridiculously wild and suck but we’d be right there at #5 and I don’t think I’d complain about a Big 12 title, #5 ranking and missing the CFP solely bc of something that never happens actually happening.

I just don’t think there will be 4 undefeated P5 teams at the end of the season 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

I’m not so sure. I bet it’s more about Oregon earning more style points lately by blowing teams out while we’ve had a couple of close calls.

Beyond the NUMBER of losses, the committee usually weighs who you’ve beaten more heavily than who you’ve lost to. See Oklahoma State, who holds a 33-7 loss to South Alabama, and moved way up after beating OU.

That 33-7 loss has to be the worst loss for any ranked team / likely conference championship participant in my recent memory.

South Alabama is 4-5 right now and likely not to make a bowl this year.

I just can't fathom how ridiculous that is.

33-7!

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

Texas #7 only 1 loss team that controls their destiny. Gets in top 4 with any additional losses than the already scheduled matchups between the top 6 teams and winning out

Texas absolutely does not control its own destiny. We're in a decent spot, but we need some collection of team(s) to lose even if we win out. And, a 1 loss team sitting right above us is better positioned with respect to "controlling their own destiny".  If Oregon runs the table and beats Wash in a rematch, they are almost certainly getting priority over us.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Texas absolutely does not control its own destiny. We're in a decent spot, but we need some collection of team(s) to lose even if we win out. And, a 1 loss team sitting right above us is better positioned with respect to "controlling their own destiny".  If Oregon runs the table and beats Wash in a rematch, they are almost certainly getting priority over us.  

if they do that and there's another loss then it doesn't matter anyway. You don't really understand how this works do you? They aren't counting on 5 or even 3 undefeated teams. They can't simply put 1 loss teams above undefeated ones, and they know that the likelihood of Oregon AND UW winning out except in the rematch is very low and also benefits those behind them. Everything has to go absolutely perfect for them to get in over Texas, where Texas just has to win every game and let things work themselves out from what HAS to happen in games scheduled already from other teams. 

FSU is the only true wildcard here. 

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Bama running the table may also put them above us in the final ranking, so I think both Oregon and Bama have more control over their destinies than us.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

if they do that and there's another loss then it doesn't matter anyway. You don't really understand how this works do you? They aren't counting on 5 or even 3 undefeated teams. They can't simply put 1 loss teams above undefeated ones, and they know that the likelihood of Oregon AND UW winning out except in the rematch is very low and also benefits those behind them. Everything has to go absolutely perfect for them to get in over Texas, where Texas just has to win every game and let things work themselves out from what HAS to happen in games scheduled already from other teams. 

Agreed.  Barring major upsets,  it seems likely that the SEC champion, the Mich/ OSU winner,  and the Ore/ Wash rematch winner are all locks for the playoff.

So I agree FSU is the wildcard.  If Texas wins out ( a big if) they likely need a loss from FSU to get to the playoff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Oh, I get it now. You don’t understand what it means to control your own destiny. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

love immamac for his efforts around here and he makes a shockingly good brisket...but, a word to the wise, whenever he starts weighing in with football takes, it's best to just nod your head and move along.

the most likely outcome here is the michigan-ohio state winner, georgia-alabama winner, washington-oregon pac 12 champ rematch winner, and florida state.

it's stupid to talk about this given we had to hold on for dear life against houston and kstate but if we want a playoff spot, we have to hope that the florida state plane gets swept away to bermuda on its way to miami, that penix and nix get arrested for taking part in the hamas invasion of israel, that bama fucks it against auburn and then beats georgia, or that connor stalions exacts his revenge on the world by turning state's evidence against both harbaugh and day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

Texas has been flirting with disaster for a month.

That doesn't change the fact that Washington has looked like dog shit against bad teams recently. ASU is one of the worst teams in P5 football and they had a 70% chance of beating Washington and had the lead with 8 mins to go in the fourth. Stanford had the ball down 2 with a chance to take the lead with 3 minutes to go. 

Edited by ITHorn

12 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Penn State would get in as of now, but it’s close and could change. Hilariously, it would hinge on things like who wins the Purdue Northwestern game. 

Yes, the 5th tie breaker is the cumulative conference record of the 3 cross division opponents. 

Penn state should have had the tie breaker solidified, but relying on big ten west teams to win games is a miserable college football experience. 

Week 8: Nebraska - NW, Wisconsin - Illinois, Iowa - Minnesota. I check the scores at one point and all 3 of NW, Ill, and Iowa were winning. From that point NW got outscored 14-3 in the second half to lose 17-9, Illinois gave up 17 unanswered points in the 4th to lose 25-21, and Iowa got outscored 9-0 in the 2nd half to lose 12-10. 

If they all end up with the same cumulative record it goes to the record against their top crossover team, which will be 1-0 for each of them, so they’ll draw straws. 

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

love immamac for his efforts around here and he makes a shockingly good brisket...but, a word to the wise, whenever he starts weighing in with football takes, it's best to just nod your head and move along.

the most likely outcome here is the michigan-ohio state winner, georgia-alabama winner, washington-oregon pac 12 champ rematch winner, and florida state.

it's stupid to talk about this given we had to hold on for dear life against houston and kstate but if we want a playoff spot, we have to hope that the florida state plane gets swept away to bermuda on its way to miami, that penix and nix get arrested for taking part in the hamas invasion of israel, that bama fucks it against auburn and then beats georgia, or that connor stalions exacts his revenge on the world by turning state's evidence against both harbaugh and day.

Correct. Texas does NOT control its destiny at this point. There is not an undefeated team above us in the current rankings that we could play again before the end of the season. Yes, it's never happened that four undefeateds have gotten to a 4-team CFP but it absolutely could happen this year. Three of the four matchups you highlighted are guaranteed to have a loss added to their ledger since they will have to play those matchups either in regular season or in a conference champ game IF they keep winning.

The real debate will happen if Bama wins out and beats Georgia in the SEC title game. If Bama and Texas both have 1-loss seasons, and both are conference champs, I will be screaming bloody murder if they get in and we do not. That would be a goddamn travesty. Florida State is not losing to anybody left on their regular season schedule but could face a stern test if they get Louisville in the ACC title game.

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

You just contradicted yourself. Texas has to win out and let things work themselves out? If Texas is sitting at 5 then yes we control our destiny… that’s not the case as of now. The committee looked at things currently standing and have determined Oregon to be a better team. Not saying I don’t think someone will lose but it’s a legit concern. Oregon can only bolster their resume, we likely have 1 more opportunity (CCG). 

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We’ve played meh football bc of QB1 injury for the past 2.5 games. Just getting Ewers back makes us better. Here’s hoping he can truly go on Saturday 

The CFP  committee chairman mentioned consideration for injuries a couple times during his short interview.  I'm not sure if that means they are currently giving teams like Texas propped up a bit until we get healthier or if it means they rank teams based on who is playing right now.  I hesitate to read anything into what these guys say, I think it's probably driven by whoever in that room is best at pushing their agenda.  I assume there must be ground rules when ESPN asks them questions about the rankings/criteria.  Otherwise, why wouldn't ESPN just ask what logic the committee is using to the rank Oregon over Texas and Bama?  

image.jpeg.d84eb63c0eb7cd7debcde973623ab28a.jpeg   

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, blutow said:

The CFP  committee chairman mentioned consideration for injuries a couple times during his short interview.  I'm not sure if that means they are currently giving teams like Texas propped up a bit until we get healthier or if it means they rank teams based on who is playing right now.  I hesitate to read anything into what these guys say, I think it's probably driven by whoever in that room is best at pushing their agenda.  I assume there must be ground rules when ESPN asks them questions about the rankings/criteria.  Otherwise, why wouldn't ESPN just ask what logic the committee is using to the rank Oregon over Texas and Bama?  

image.jpeg.d84eb63c0eb7cd7debcde973623ab28a.jpeg   

Correct. They will say whatever they need to say to help justify whatever it is they decide the rankings should be this week. The shitty thing is they constantly move the goalposts in order to get the matchups they ultimately want, results-be-damned sometimes.

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think Wazzu has a lot of spoiler potential in Apple Cup.

I’m not sleeping on Apple Cup or Civil War. It’s going to be just as jihad-level as our season ender against Tech. WSU/OSU are mad and they would love to spoil it for Wash/Oregon 

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Or it’s what makes CFB great

If PSU finds a way to beat UM and UM beats OSU, with that game being a noon kickoff, it might come down to Indiana - Purdue that afternoon playing for the old oaken bucket and I will be as hyped as I have ever been for big ten west football wearing some Hoosier candy stripe pants. 

Edited by heso

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Correct. They will say whatever they need to say to help justify whatever it is they decide the rankings should be this week. The shitty thing is they constantly move the goalposts in order to get the matchups they ultimately want, results-be-damned sometimes.

this is why Texas controls it's destiny. It seems contradictory because the CFP is a beauty contest mixed with a money grab. 

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm still not convinced we make it to Arlington. But if there is a 1 loss conference champion Texas, who is to say we don't get the nod over Oregon for pure novelty sake? Oregon has a good brand, but I can't imagine they bring Texas numbers from a viewership perspective. Especially since they have been to the playoff and Texas would be a first timer. In theory, Texas would probably be the more interesting pick. 

Not saying that would be the right decision, but it illustrates the problem with this process. Nobody knows. At the end of the day, it comes down to how they feel at the moment. 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn

Just now, immamac said:

this is why Texas controls it's destiny. It seems contradictory because the CFP is a beauty contest mixed with a money grab. 

Controlling one's destiny means that you are not relying on the results of anybody else's games to accomplish your goal. Win and you're in, in other words. This is the case for Texas WRT to the Big 12 Championship. If we win the last three conference games, we're in the conference title game. Period. However, Texas is relying on other results, which are likely to occur BTW, to happen to get into the 4-team CFP. That's all we're saying. It is still possible that we have four undefeated conference champs from the SEC, Big 10, ACC and Pac-12 and they will get the four CFP spots if that unlikely event happens. Therefore, the Horns do not control their own destiny at this time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

If we end up with multiple 1-loss P5 conference champions, the committee will very likely be driven by recency bias. Whoever has looked the best recently, has the best recent win or loss will likely get the nod. I think that's why it's imperative that we not only just squeak by our remaining opponents but also win convincingly. It needs to start with TCU next week.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m not sleeping on Apple Cup or Civil War. It’s going to be just as jihad-level as our season ender against Tech. WSU/OSU are mad and they would love to spoil it for Wash/Oregon 

Texas Tech is why I need Quinn Ewers's recovery to be complete and thorough. I believe we can beat froggy with MM if our defense makes plays and Sark makes smart play calls and takes the goddamned points.

In other words, if we aren't going to run the table I'd rather it be a road game with an inexperienced QB than fucking texas tech at home on thanksgiving.

Edited by chainsaw

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]