THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Somebody help me out because I'm too lazy and stupid to think it through. Who should be our rooting interest in the PSU/UM game this weekend? Please explain your answer in 25 words or less. 

Penn State. Any loss will eliminate Michigan from further discussion due to the cheating scandal.

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I agree with Greg. One thing I’ve always hated is how subjective this committee is. And for those saying “they did X in the past” you’re forgetting the variable that the committee members have changed. What they did in the past makes jack shit. 

A bunch of humans can decide whatever they want. And they have no one they’re accountable to 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The committee is using eye test to rank right now over resume. The only two games we've played since rankings started didn't involve our starting QB. If QE comes back and we roll I think we'd have a good chance of jumping Oregon. 

Exactly!

Sark said Ewers didn’t get hurt on the scramble, he got hurt on the missed block by Sanders against UofH. By that time l the score was 21-7 and Ewers looked like he was in for a 400 yard 4 TD day.  I mean alot of y’all talked bad about Quinn but we beat everyone except OU by double digits (including Bama) and even against OU he was able To lead us down the field to take the lead, defense loss that one. 

Like you said if Quinn comes back and we roll there should be no question who’s the better 1-loss team and has the better resume 

For Texas to maximize our resume we need:

KU and KSU to be 9-3, so that means KSU beating KU to end the season.

OSU to be 10-2 going into the conference championship game.

Alabama to win the SEC.

OU to be at worst 9-3, so that our loss isn't considered bad.

Wyoming finishing 9-3 would also be a nice boost, they have a big game against UNLV this weekend.

20 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So only osu in 2018. Why did they get left out ?

No, OSU and TCU.  CFP existed in 2014 and TCU was a one loss conference champ that got left out. 

as for osu, they got smacked by shitty Purdue team so really bad loss combined with the power of notre dame bullshit. 

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

For Texas to maximize our resume we need:

KU and KSU to be 9-3, so that means KSU beating KU to end the season.

OSU to be 10-2 going into the conference championship game.

Alabama to win the SEC.

OU to be at worst 9-3, so that our loss isn't considered bad.

Wyoming finishing 9-3 would also be a nice boost, they have a big game against UNLV this weekend.

Thanks for the primer. That helps. And I'm really glad to hear I can still root for OU to lose. 

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If Alabama, Oregon, and Texas all end up at 12-1. Texas and Alabama will be ranked ahead of Oregon in the final CFP rankings.

Curious the logic here, considered Oregon plays a tougher schedule than us to end the season.  

Is it just the belief that the committee will refuse to leave out Bama, and can’t justify putting us behind them?

2 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

Curious the logic here, considered Oregon plays a tougher schedule than us to end the season.  

Is it just the belief that the committee will refuse to leave out Bama, and can’t justify putting us behind them?

Doesn’t matter what the committee wants. H2H should matter. So if we win the conference and Bama does to we should be in front. If not we should cancel Michigan and put Eastern Michigan , cus obviously h2h doesn’t matter 

6 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

No, Oregon has played a shitty schedule with one win over a team with a winning record. When the season is over, Texas and Alabama will have much better resumes than Oregon.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No, Oregon has played a shitty schedule with one win over a team with a winning record. When the season is over, Texas and Alabama will have much better resumes than Oregon.

Just because they finish strong doesn’t negate the rest of their schedule. Sadly that “what have you done lately?” may weigh more heavily on the human committee. 

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what sorcery is this?

The Big 10 has 6 options to determine the three-way tie-breaker. After reading them, it appears that Penn State would advance due to their win over Iowa because they would likely be the #1 team from the west and neither Michigan nor Ohio State played them.

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Doesn’t matter what the committee wants. H2H should matter. So if we win the conference and Bama does to we should be in front. If not we should cancel Michigan and put Eastern Michigan , cus obviously h2h doesn’t matter 

Yep H2H is one of the 4 criteria committee has etched in stone when deciding on comparable teams. That along with conference championships, SOS and results against common opponents.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

The Big 10 has 6 options to determine the three-way tie-breaker. After reading them, it appears that Penn State would advance due to their win over Iowa because they would likely be the #1 team from the west and neither Michigan nor Ohio State played them.

Penn State would get in as of now, but it’s close and could change. Hilariously, it would hinge on things like who wins the Purdue Northwestern game. 

Heading into Saturday, Penn State's Big Ten West schedule of Illinois, Iowa and Northwestern has combined for a record of 8-10 in conference play, giving the Nittany Lions an advantage over Michigan (Nebraska, Minnesota, Purdue) at 7-11, and Ohio State (Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota) at 7-11.

15 minutes ago, vandergriff said:

Winning the Big 12 championship is what I want.  The CFP is icing on the cake and while Texas is good I don't want to see our season end with a drubbing by Georgia or Michigan.

Give me a NY6 bowl game we can win.

Negged. Pussy mentality. Immediately to the first tier of the worst-first-post HoF. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, vandergriff said:

Winning the Big 12 championship is what I want.  The CFP is icing on the cake and while Texas is good I don't want to see our season end with a drubbing by Georgia or Michigan.

You really think we're going to win a bowl game with Ewers, Worthy, Mitchell, Sanders, and Brooks skipping the game to get ready for the draft? Cause that's what will happen if we're not in the CFP.  And that's just 1 side of the ball. 

You really think either of those teams could give us a drubbing? Sure Georgia finally got things going a bit lately but looked quite pedestrian and beatable their first few games, and certainly not better than us. As for Meatchicken we will know more about them after they play pedo state and tOSU. To say their schedule so far has been weak is an understatement.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

You really think either of those teams could give us a drubbing? Sure Georgia finally got things going a bit lately but looked quite pedestrian and beatable their first few games, and certainly not better than us. As for Meatchicken we will know more about them after they play pedo state and tOSU. To say their schedule so far has been weak is an understatement.

I think Michigan is the best team in the country.  And I know they've had a ridiculously weak schedule.  But they are bulldozing everyone they play.  And I bet they beat PSU this weekend by 2 or 3 scores. 

Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

I think Michigan is the best team in the country.  And I know they've had a ridiculously weak schedule.  But they are bulldozing everyone they play.  And I bet they beat PSU this weekend by 2 or 3 scores. 
Time will tell.
I'd still like to line them up against this Longhorn team and see if they can continue bulldozing.

Edit- by "this Longhorn team" I mean with Quinn back at or near full strength.

1 hour ago, Kwix said:

You really think we're going to win a bowl game with Ewers, Worthy, Mitchell, Sanders, and Brooks skipping the game to get ready for the draft? Cause that's what will happen if we're not in the CFP.  And that's just 1 side of the ball. 

You may be right.  But we haven't looked like a natty contender this season with the exception of the Alabama game.  If we get healthy maybe that changes.  

TCU beating us would be an epic fail and I don't see that happening unless Murphy turns it over several times.

But Iowa St is going to be a battle.  Need Ewers back for that one.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

I agree with Greg. One thing I’ve always hated is how subjective this committee is. And for those saying “they did X in the past” you’re forgetting the variable that the committee members have changed. What they did in the past makes jack shit. 

Mandel is such a chode.

1 hour ago, vandergriff said:

Non-CFP bowl games no longer matter. Just keep winning. I want the last Big 12 title first and foremost. If that gets us in playoff, great.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If Alabama, Oregon, and Texas all end up at 12-1. Texas and Alabama will be ranked ahead of Oregon in the final CFP rankings.

In that scenario, Alabama would have both the best win and the best loss of that group; we’d have the worst loss BUT have the H2H over ‘Bama…

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

In that scenario, Alabama would have both the best win and the best loss of that group; we’d have the worst loss BUT have the H2H over ‘Bama…

If OSU wins out they will also likely be top 10 or sniffing around it. Texas has a really good SOS compared to everyone else and will have the most ranked wins. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Why do you keep saying this?  The committee obvious disagrees because Texas objectively has the better resume NOW and they put Texas behind Oregon.  Why does that change with the remaining schedule?  

Negged. Pussy mentality. Immediately to the first tier of the worst-first-post HoF. 

Nah, his motivation is to see that bitch yormark give the final trophy to Texas after he and his grifter gimp buddy openly bad mouthed and conspired to keep Texas out of it.

7 hours ago, vandergriff said:

You may be right.  But we haven't looked like a natty contender this season with the exception of the Alabama game.  If we get healthy maybe that changes.  

TCU beating us would be an epic fail and I don't see that happening unless Murphy turns it over several times.

But Iowa St is going to be a battle.  Need Ewers back for that one.

Negged for use of natty

• Hook 'Em 7

13 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

Why do you keep saying this?  The committee obvious disagrees because Texas objectively has the better resume NOW and they put Texas behind Oregon.  Why does that change with the remaining schedule?  

Oregon has the better loss right now. Always root for OU to lose, always, but those asshats dropping two in a row hurt us with the committee. 

1 minute ago, Woodrow Call said:

I've always believed Alabama might find a way to get back in. I figured the QB would improve, and that they'd run the table in the SEC West. I believe they can beat Georgia. But if they're in, how on earth do you leave out Texas? 

If you assume UGA has no way in after losing to Bama then it’s no different that if UGA wins. Still need Washington and probably Oregon to drop a game. 

truth is we are probably a half step away from being a top 5 team. We can play like it but injuries, and complete defensive backfield // OL talent and depth is lacking. 

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

If you assume UGA has no way in after losing to Bama then it’s no different that if UGA wins. Still need Washington and probably Oregon to drop a game. 

Yeah, that's right. But it of course depends on the magnitude of the Georgia loss. Probably will be close, but you never know. Maybe the Trojans defense gets their act together and beats Oregon. They'll definitely change things up defensively in their next two games. 

23 minutes ago, troph said:

Oregon has the better loss right now. Always root for OU to lose, always, but those asshats dropping two in a row hurt us with the committee. 

I’m not so sure. I bet it’s more about Oregon earning more style points lately by blowing teams out while we’ve had a couple of close calls.

Beyond the NUMBER of losses, the committee usually weighs who you’ve beaten more heavily than who you’ve lost to. See Oklahoma State, who holds a 33-7 loss to South Alabama, and moved way up after beating OU.

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]