Texas Rangers Offseason 2023-2024

ztejas

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not sure who is more correct but are they gonna argue over less than 2 million?  Will be good for him to be making at least 5 though. 

Seems unlikely it’ll actually go to arbitration; we haven’t had that happen in 24 years, and to your point in baseball terms the difference is nothing….

Before anyone gets happy about the Bally's/Amazon news and start thinking about signing Montgomery, this little nugget was in the NY Post story from this morning:

Diamond, which broadcasts under the Bally’s brand, will continue to televise the 11 MLB teams for which it has rights, including the World Series champion Texas Rangers, on cable. Though it may dump the Rangers and the Cleveland Indians before it emerges from bankruptcy, sources said.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/17/business/amazon-poised-to-save-bankrupt-diamond-sports-with-100m-deal-to-stream-five-mlb-teams-sources/

Before anyone gets happy about the Bally's/Amazon news and start thinking about signing Montgomery, this little nugget was in the NY Post story from this morning:
Diamond, which broadcasts under the Bally’s brand, will continue to televise the 11 MLB teams for which it has rights, including the World Series champion Texas Rangers, on cable. Though it may dump the Rangers and the Cleveland Indians before it emerges from bankruptcy, sources said.
https://nypost.com/2024/01/17/business/amazon-poised-to-save-bankrupt-diamond-sports-with-100m-deal-to-stream-five-mlb-teams-sources/

Don’t care if Rangers aren’t in the initial go round. This is good news for streamers.
The trend is your friend.

I’m having a hard time understanding this tv deal. I mean, I’m sure that chunk of money is a huge part of the operations side of things, but is it so much so that it’s holding us hostage from making any moves at all? Like, there’s not even 1.9 million available to get Adolis signed? Or a few extra million for Montgomery? Maybe another decent bullpen guy? I feel like I spend enough on beer at Globe Life during the season to at least get Adolis taken care of. 

He's absolutely my favorite player of all time. I'm so happy for him.  

He was the first former player I thought of when the beat Arizona. I loved watching Sierra, Juan, Pudge, Josh, Napoli, Nolan and others but none more than him.

I wish he could've played on better teams.

12 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

He's absolutely my favorite player of all time. I'm so happy for him.  

He was the first former player I thought of when the beat Arizona. I loved watching Sierra, Juan, Pudge, Josh, Napoli, Nolan and others but none more than him.

I wish he could've played on better teams.

I wish we could have thrown 1 more strike...

And yes, if he's not my favorite Ranger ever, he's #2.   Just an absolute joy to watch him play the game.  

• Hook 'Em 1

There are some sportwriters who, for some reason, think NOBODY should go in unanimously. 
Nolan Ryan only received 98.8% of the vote, for Christ's sake. 

Forgot about that. But it seems that there was a story titled “here is why I didn’t vote for Nolan” or similar. Pull his credentials.

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

Forgot about that. But it seems that there was a story titled “here is why I didn’t vote for Nolan” or similar. Pull his credentials.

There are still people, some of them with a vote, that will argue honestly that Nolan shouldn’t be in the hall at all. And use stats like most walks ever, winning %, lack of cy young wins.  

This ain’t cool.

The Rangers announced to reporters, including Jeff Wilson of Rangers Today, that shortstop Corey Seager underwent sports hernia surgery today. He apparently suffered the injury during the postseason but it hasn’t improved in recent months, eventually leading him to go under the knife. The club is hopeful he could be ready for Opening Day. “The concern level is not very high,” general manager Chris Young said, per Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com. Per Wilson, the club is unlikely to add an extra infielder this offseason as a result of this development.