Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

mdmost

Posted (edited)

Saw it. Weak. Time to end this franchise unless they come up with a better story. Through the whole movie you feel like you’ve been there before. Just my take. I will say that of all the original characters Ernie has actually aged well. 

Edited by Brandywine
  • Like 1

Saw it. Weak. Time to end this franchise unless they come up with a better story. Through the whole movie you feel like you’ve been there before. Just my take. I will say that of all the original characters Ernie has actually aged well. 

He takes care of himself and gets lots of sleep at night knowing Carshield has him covered.
  • Like 1

Went after work since there is an AMC a block away. I liked it and the nostalgia was cool since I frequent that library before work 2-3 times a week to just sit and read. It was a cool movie and man Ernie looks 30 years younger than his age. He has aged incredibly well and I love the role they gave him. He deserved it. 

On 3/22/2024 at 5:14 PM, Brandywine said:

Black don't crack. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We saw it yesterday. It's fun. Unnecessary but fun. Glad Winston got his time to shine. They really don't need to keep making these though but I think it made 45 million this weekend so it will keep happening. There is a bit too much nostalgia in it but I knew that going in. Bringing back Peck, the library dude, the mood slime. I did enjoy the real life Ghostbusters merch and songs being tossed into their world. They also had a funny reference to the horrible Statue of Liberty plot line from the 2nd one. It's a fun popcorn flick and that's okay. I actually enjoyed the storyline with Phoebe and the ghost. 

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

We saw it yesterday. It's fun. Unnecessary but fun. Glad Winston got his time to shine. They really don't need to keep making these though but I think it made 45 million this weekend so it will keep happening. There is a bit too much nostalgia in it but I knew that going in. Bringing back Peck, the library dude, the mood slime. I did enjoy the real life Ghostbusters merch and songs being tossed into their world. They also had a funny reference to the horrible Statue of Liberty plot line from the 2nd one. It's a fun popcorn flick and that's okay. I actually enjoyed the storyline with Phoebe and the ghost. 

I agree about Phoebe and the ghost. 

Very much enjoyed.  Better than the last one.  It was fun and not too heavy on the nostalgia, but still some good callbacks.  More Paul Rudd in this one, Patton had a good role, and Kumar fucking killed it.

For those wishing they would wrap up the franchise, well, they apparently created an entirely new production company (Ghost Corps) for this, so I think it's gonna keep going.  No one is making y'all watch these.  They are setting it up for a new generation.

It was better than I thought it was going to be, which was awful. So it’s not terrible but I thought they dropped the ball at the end in the climactic fight. You go through the whole movie building up to it and then it was almost an afterthought. 

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I like how it emphasized just how fucking stupid 15 yr olds are and how they can ruin your life if you don't have a magic Indian to save the day. 

While you are not wrong, it was a fairly realistic (ghosts being real aside) portrayal of how vulnerable teens who feel isolated and misunderstood are.

20 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It was better than I thought it was going to be, which was awful. So it’s not terrible but I thought they dropped the ball at the end in the climactic fight. You go through the whole movie building up to it and then it was almost an afterthought. 

I could see this. It did wrap up pretty quickly. But I had to pee, so it worked out. 

• Haha 1

took my nephews (aged 4, 5, and 6) to it this afternoon and we all had a great time.  it was super fun to watch it sort of through their eyes.  anytime something big would happen i'd glance over at them and they were all blown away.  i grew up loving ghostbusters so i love that they love it too.  they're obviously not the original but i think rudd, coon, and grace are doing a very solid job with their roles as the new generation.  especially mckenna grace.  i asked all of my nephews who their favorite ghostbuster was after the movie and they all said phoebe.  

i actually liked it slightly better than afterlife and agree that kumar was fantastic in his side-role.  

On 3/26/2024 at 9:37 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That was Mrs.LL's complaint.  She wanted more busting for her Ghostbusters dollar.

I disagree.  I was in it for the nostalgia.  The merchandising call-back was fantastic.  And then you had Ackroyd and Murray basically loving every minute they were on camera.  That was great fun.  Throw in the Ghostbusters Labs, Inc., and I was down with all the shit leading up to the (admittedly very short) climactic battle.

21 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That was Mrs.LL's complaint.  She wanted more busting for her Ghostbusters dollar.

I disagree.  I was in it for the nostalgia.  The merchandising call-back was fantastic.  And then you had Ackroyd and Murray basically loving every minute they were on camera.  That was great fun.  Throw in the Ghostbusters Labs, Inc., and I was down with all the shit leading up to the (admittedly very short) climactic battle.

I agree about digging the nostalgia part. I just thought it made little sense to build up the big bad so much throughout the film, and then dispatch him so easily. From a nostalgia standpoint, they also infused so much more humor into the actual ghostbusting in the originals. There would be no easier way to hit more nostalgia notes than drawing out the battle, create some sort of humorous aspect to the ghost, increase the stakes, infuse some one liners, and then bust his ass. I usually roll my eyes at all the CGI crap mega battles in comic book movies, but this just felt so perfunctory.

Were you all high before seeing this? My god that was the biggest load of unwatchable tripe I’ve seen in the theater in a good long while. Unfunny, unwitty, shitty FX, tired-ass tripe.

II pales in comparison to the original. 3 reboots and they’re still trying. Why? Are people demanding more Ghostbusters?

Much of the humor and novelty of the original is everybody thinks the  Ghostbusters are crazy because there’s no such as ghosts. If it’s established that ghosts are real and the Ghostbusters have to save the world, it becomes another Avengers movie.

• 2 weeks later...