2024 Hall of Fame thread

Beau Vine

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

A-Rod, Beltran, Pettitte, and Sheffield imo. 

Brandon Phillips? Manny Ramirez? Bautista? Colon? Rollins? Is the only criteria having a 7+ year career now? 

say what you want about Manny, but he's more than likely a HOFer.  But, once you've been retired 5 years, every person that's played in the league for a certain amount of time is eligible for HOF voting.  Even fucking Mike Bascik was eligible because he had time served.  

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

2,574 hits, 555 HR, .312 career BA, two-time WS winner, WS MVP, most career postseason HR ever. great post helo. 

A-Rod and Bonds were lifelong superstars that were great before steroids came along. Ramirez was a scrawny nobody before he took roids. To me that’s not a HOFer. 

Edit: so it turns out he was a first round pick and a multiple time all star with Cleveland in the 90s, so maybe he was legit. Ortiz on the other hand was not. At all.

Edited by Helobious
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Results of the Contemporary Baseball Era Managers/Executives/Umpires Ballot (12 votes needed for election): Jim Leyland (15 votes, 93.8%); Lou Piniella (11 votes, 68.8%); Bill White (10 votes, 62.5%); Cito Gaston, Davey Johnson, Ed Montague, Hank Peters and Joe West each received less than five votes.

On 11/22/2023 at 9:03 PM, Helobious said:

Ramirez was a scrawny nobody before he took roids. To me that’s not a HOFer. 

Say what?  From his Age 23 season onwards he had a .953 or higher OPS for 12 straight years (with 7 of those over 1.000).  His age 22 rookie season was .878, not shabby.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 7:03 AM, Helobious said:

A-Rod and Bonds were lifelong superstars that were great before steroids came along. Ramirez was a scrawny nobody before he took roids. To me that’s not a HOFer. 

Edit: so it turns out he was a first round pick and a multiple time all star with Cleveland in the 90s, so maybe he was legit. Ortiz on the other hand was not. At all.

Turns out, eh?   Jesus, it’s like you never watched baseball 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The landing page at cbssports/sportsline has as their third main story, "Should David Wright be in the Hall of Fame".  da fuh?  10 full seasons.  Nothing remotely interesting about his career other than it was cut short by injuries, welcome to the fucking club.  How is this a thing?  I guess he stole a lotta bases a few years for a 3b guy.  And a decent glove/arm, but nothing to wright home about.  Did I miss a meeting?  

Anybody, given the guys on their last or close-to-last ballot, this should be a more interesting year than the last few.  Here we go...

It's not on the landing page anymore, only on the MLB sub-forum...but:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/did-david-wrights-career-ending-injuries-wreck-his-shot-at-the-hall-of-fame-making-a-case-for-the-mets-great/

I mean if you gave me 25 chances to guess who would be slighted this ballot, I still wouldn't guess David Wright.  Let alone write a column about him.  Yeah, he was really good at 3b for a few years.  Yeah, he also got injured a lot.  This writer is making it out like he was the next Brooks Robinson but for some bad luck.  He wasn't.  He's a more handsome Ron Cey, that's it.  I mean I know we're starved for off-season content but good Lord.  

And yes, the Maddux thing is just downright baffling.  Rivera gets in with 100% of votes working twice a week with a $200mm offense to support him in case of any extra runs given up.  But Maddux pitched a few games against guys on drugs, so fuck him?  Got it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

^

This.  Dozens of guys got a pass for being drunk, whacked out on drugs, wife beaters, racists, morons, and on-the-field cheaters.  But you get literally stuck in a contract for a team that happens to have a stadium with slightly lower air pressure, and you're the asshole?  

By their outstanding rationale, Phillies' stadium is at sea level so anybody that played for them for a decade or more deserves to be in the Hall, because ATMOSPHERES!

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Here's a fun read on why that loser doesn't deserve a vote:

https://tht.fangraphs.com/tht-live/larry-rocca-s-conflict-of-interest/

The MLB HoF is such a joke now, they really need to add a bunch of younger writers and analysts to the process and let the old ones filter out naturally or due to disgust that steroid users are making it in. The gatekeeping they do is unnecessary and harms the sport. Let the fans and teams celebrate the players that pretty much saved the sport in the 90s after the strike, even if it was a bit of fool's gold in a way. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:02 PM, Beau Vine said:

Kenny Lofton is probably the most underrated player of my lifetime.

Fun fact: there has only been 2 people in the history of ever to play in both a NCAA basketball Final Four and an MLB World Series: Kenny Lofton and Tim Stoddard.
They both went to the same high school, East Chicago Washington. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

And the principal of that high school?  You guessed it, Frank Stallone.  

My dad took me to some Cubs fan deal in 1984 when they were on their then historic playoff run.  Saw Stoddard there.  And I remember the write up about each player.  And it was then I learned that part of Chicago was on Indiana, including his high school.  Mind blown. But fuck Steve Garvey 

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I don't understand the point of trying to shame voters.  They should vote for who they want.  Do we think everyone the internet likes should get in unanimously?  Just change it over to a twitter poll?

14 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

I'm trying to reconcile the monster play Mauer had while on league minimum with his abject rancidness after he signed his big contract. 

Concussions man. Stark had an awesome ballot. He called Maher the modern day Ernie banks. Made some sense 

Todd Helton - 5 time All-Star, hit fewer than 20 HRs over his last 9 seasons (with 81 games played at Coors, most before the humidor), never finished above 5th in MVP voting.  He had 2 unreal seasons, 5 more damn good years, and a whole lot of average years. He's Hall of Very Good worthy, but Hall of Fame?? We're watering this shit down.