Break Out the Private Eyes, Hall Sues Oates

G650

• G650 changed the title to Break Out the Private Eyes, Hall Sues Oates

H&O has to be the most overindexed act in my market up here.  Nary a day goes by without hearing them on one of the 3 various adult contemporary stations.  It's like fuck Springsteen, Joan Jett, and The Cars.  Let's play these motherfuckers every day...

Daryl Hall always seemed like an asshole. He rehabilitated his image a bit with the Live from Daryl's House thing, but this comes as no surprise to me. 
This. There's a pretty fascinating behind the scenes article by Variety or Rolling Stone of the USA for Africa recording session that begins with the story of a young John Oates listening to music in his room as a teenage boy. It details all of the work behind the scenes to record that shitty song that raised a ton of cash & awareness. Let's just say that Darryl Hall doesn't come across in the best light. He's pretty impressed by himself (not that a huge ego makes him unique in the recording industry).

Edit: it was in Esquire. Damn good read.
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a32868751/we-are-the-world-history-interview/
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/22/2023 at 7:49 AM, Deej said:

Daryl Hall always seemed like an asshole. He rehabilitated his image a bit with the Live from Daryl's House thing, but this comes as no surprise to me. 

Man one of those episodes he recorded with Chiddy Bang. It was fucking terrible.  I’ll try to find video 

For any of you who have not yet watched the new season of Live Fom Darryl's House on youtube (for free) on Darryl's channel, it's freakin' phenomenal. What an incredible band. Just four episodes in it looks like maybe the best season ever. Even if you don't care for him that much, if you dig music you'll probably really enjoy it.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, DougO said:

For any of you who have not yet watched the new season of Live Fom Darryl's House on youtube (for free) on Darryl's channel, it's freakin' phenomenal. What an incredible band. Just four episodes in it looks like maybe the best season ever. Even if you don't care for him that much, if you dig music you'll probably really enjoy it.

I'm glad Daryl got rid of that cheeseball guitarist a while back.  Talk about cringe-worthy.  Is Brian Dunne still the drummer?  (Backwards ball cap?)  I've hired him for some remote drum tracks -- the guy is a phenomenal rock drummer.

• Like 1

Answered my own question by watching most of the Glenn Tilbrook (Squeeze) episode.  Probably one of my top 10 bands of all time, and yes it's Dunne on drums, although he ditched the cap and grew his hair out.

What a PHENOMENAL songwriter Tilbrook is.  Got damn.  Daryl was commenting on the complexity of the songs, and Glenn was talking about how Daryl left great space in his own songs.  Two great writers out of their element.  Awesome.

EDIT -- ha, just noticed someone is screwing up in the pre-chorus on "Pull Mussels from A Shell".  Playing Em instead of E.  Oh, the humanity.  Maybe I should take this to the Anal Retentive Covers thread.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 9:20 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I love those old 70's lip-synch live shots.  Oates is about 15" from the mic he's "singing" into.

& That's a good thing.  Have you ever heard him sing solo?  Turrible..

I saw him on some show like "Good Morning America" or whatever & hole - lee - shit is he bad.  I suppose he's an OK harmonizer & maybe a great songwriter, but damn, his singing voice was horribad.