Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

In trying to review their games, one thing that stuck out to me is that while Washington receivers are really good at making contested catches, they don't seem to get a lot of YACs. McMillan appears to be the primary YAC guy. But their offense in general doesn't so much create space for receivers as it creates one on one matchups where they win the jump ball. Just a really different style than our offense. 

Their 2 outside guys have size, strength and hands as their primary advantages. I want to say they go 6’3” 215 and 6’2” 205 or something like that. They are going to muscle DBs, shield a defender off with their bodies and get most of the jump balls. They aren’t usually going to out quick as CB or juke a safety. They are more likely to head fake then run through an arm and shoulder for a few extra yards than they are to make a defender miss completely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BigDickNick said:

Why don't YOU come say it to OUR faces. But I don't think you will, you are little more than cowardly pussy. All hat, no steak as they say down in your neck of the woods. 

go to your website and call you a f*gg*t?  as a woman who licks pussy (and therefore subject at times to awful slurs) I can tell you I'm not inclined to go to a website of neanderthal men and call them f*gg*ts. doesn't seem very reasonable or appropriate, but maybe that's just me. 

3 hours ago, MikeDamone said:

Pipe down pipsqueak.     Stop acting like a bitch.   

Texas and Oregon fans have a lot in common.    

stop acting like a bitch? I am a bitch asshole.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

LOL these fucks have the undignified confidence of Ohio State fans mixed with the collective intelligence of aggy fans. And, yet, some of the fucking regards around here have fallen for it. Bless all of our hearts. 

This matchup reminds me a lot of the 2018 Sugar Bowl. Georgia fans were bleating on about how they deserved to be in the CFP and they were going to dick stomp Texas to prove it. Then, somewhere in the third quarter, the narrative changed to "Georgia didn't care about that game. Non-CFP bowl games are meaningless".

Nope, it was just clear and obvious that Texas was the better team that day. The same as Texas was the better team against Alabama this year (and last year but not having Quinn lost us that game a la Colt McCoy). 

TLDR: Texas is going to fuck Washington up and I expect to win by at least 10 points. I think we're ahead by more by they will get a garbage time TD or FG to make it seem like less of a beat down. Texas 37 / Washington 27

10 minutes ago, troph said:

go to your website and call you a f*gg*t?  as a woman who licks pussy (and therefore subject at times to awful slurs) I can tell you I'm not inclined to go to a website of neanderthal men and call them f*gg*ts. doesn't seem very reasonable or appropriate, but maybe that's just me. 

stop acting like a bitch? I am a bitch asshole.

Figures.  You act like a whiny cunt. 

Edited by MikeDamone
  • Fuck You 25

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

In trying to review their games, one thing that stuck out to me is that while Washington receivers are really good at making contested catches, they don't seem to get a lot of YACs. McMillan appears to be the primary YAC guy. But their offense in general doesn't so much create space for receivers as it creates one on one matchups where they win the jump ball. Just a really different style than our offense. 

IMO, I agree with this take.  Odunze supposedly runs a 4.3, but I don't really see that on the field.  The guy is an absolute beast overall, but doesn't seem like he plays at that speed.  Polk is supposed to be the 2nd fastest, but I don't see a ton of YAC from him.  McMillan is definitely the shiftiest one of the 3 and seems to play the fastest on the field to my eyes.  

All in all, hopefully this will be an entertaining game.  I'm guessing it just comes down to who makes the untimely penalties and mistakes.  Whichever team wins, I'm rooting to win it all because screw Michigan and Alabama. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

How dare you fucking try to steal valor. You should be fucking shot, little boy, but only to finally put you out of your misery after REAL Rangers beat the ever loving shit out of you.

Get that fucking shit out of here.

I didn’t steal shit, fucko.    You don’t want any of this, trust me 

• Fuck You 21

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I just don’t see the same thing everyone else sees when I watch Washington film I guess. 

Styles make fights and Washington’s style makes this a very entertaining match up, but they are also fragile. If they can’t grind some points out this game will get out of hand for them and you can’t dig out of the hole.

Texas is the opposite of fragile. This is the most physical team many of their opponents including Alabama has faced. It’s not just about speed, Texas plays with a fierce intensity and has depth to wear on teams. Washington can match, but I think a few missteps or turnovers and this game just gets out of reach on them. Unlike last year this is a second half, and really mostly 4th quarter team. 

Washington is actually pretty physical, especially when compared to who they played in the Pac-12. Oregon had a tough time with Tech's physicality though, so maybe it isn't worth much to say. Their lines definitely play nastyish on film. Rosengarten is better than I initially gave him credit for, and Brailsford is weak but very quick and plays with good leverage. They protect the hell out of him with their guards. I initially overrated Trice, but he's a problem if you don't account for him. Can't let JT be responsible for blocking that guy one on one.

We'll see what impact Zach Durfee makes for them.

I think DeBoer knows where his team is weak against us and will have plans in place to combat that. Whether or not it is enough will determine the outcome of this game.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Washington is actually pretty physical, especially when compared to who they played in the Pac-12. Oregon had a tough time with Tech's physicality though, so maybe it isn't worth much to say. Their lines definitely play nastyish on film. Rosengarten is better than I initially gave him credit for, and Brailsford is weak but very quick and plays with good leverage. They protect the hell out of him with their guards. I initially overrated Trice, but he's a problem if you don't account for him. Can't let JT be responsible for blocking that guy one on one.

We'll see what impact Zach Durfee makes for them.

I think DeBoer knows where his team is weak against us and will have plans in place to combat that. Whether or not it is enough will determine the outcome of this game.

what I meant by fragile is their win condition I should have clarified/chosen a better word. Their win condition is they have to have explosive plays and great games through the air to win. If you get them off their win condition they are pretty doomed.

Texas has all kinds of win conditions, they are a team that finds ways to win, or shuts the door on teams from having a win condition. The exception was OU which was and still is an inexplicable breakdown of epic proportions.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

IMO, I agree with this take.  Odunze supposedly runs a 4.3, but I don't really see that on the field.  The guy is an absolute beast overall, but doesn't seem like he plays at that speed.  Polk is supposed to be the 2nd fastest, but I don't see a ton of YAC from him.  McMillan is definitely the shiftiest one of the 3 and seems to play the fastest on the field to my eyes.  

All in all, hopefully this will be an entertaining game.  I'm guessing it just comes down to who makes the untimely penalties and mistakes.  Whichever team wins, I'm rooting to win it all because screw Michigan and Alabama. 

To the penalty issue, Washington is 131st in penalty yards against this year (out of 133 teams). To me, that's one of the biggest keys of the game. If the crowd can get UW to commit a bunch of penalties that kill drives (which has happened a lot this year), it'll be really hard for UW to win. If they play a clean (by their standards) game, they're gonna score a lot of points.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

what I meant by fragile is their win condition I should have clarified/chosen a better word. Their win condition is they have to have explosive plays and great games through the air to win. If you get them off their win condition they are pretty doomed.

Texas has all kinds of win conditions, they are a team that finds ways to win, or shuts the door on teams from having a win condition. The exception was OU which was and still is an inexplicable breakdown of epic proportions.

Fully agree with this. We can and have shown ways to expose their weaknesses throughout the season. Their main win condition is for Penix to have a 2022 Arizona, 2023 Boise St, 2022-2023 Mich St. type game. Even then, Quinn could match him and they would have a very hard time.

We also have the revenge factor, which can't be overlooked. We owe them for last year.

Edited by Atticus

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I'd say this pretty accurately describes UW, too. UW is mentally and physically tough. UW won a variety of ways this year: ASU was a hideous game all around with UW's only TD coming on a pick-6. USC held UW under 300 yards passing and got a pick (though Penix was efficient), but Dillon Johnson ran for 256 yds. OSU was played in a ridiculous rainstorm and Penix had <200 yds passing. Wazzu held Penix to ~54% completions & 200 yds passing.

Physically, Dillon Johnson has been hurt most of the year. Odunze suffered broken ribs and a collapsed lung against Arizona and didn't miss a game. All teams play guys hurt, so I'm sure UT has its own version of this, but I wouldn't describe UW as fragile by any definition of that term.

UW doesn't get rattled and finds ways to win when things look really bleak. It's fair to criticize them for putting themselves in the bleak situation to start with, but if you're a team that has to go into a hostile environment in the Sugar Bowl (presumably it'll be 2/3 UT fans at least) against a really good team, that mental toughness is pretty important.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sonics_1993 said:

I'd say this pretty accurately describes UW, too. UW is mentally and physically tough. UW won a variety of ways this year: ASU was a hideous game all around with UW's only TD coming on a pick-6. USC held UW under 300 yards passing and got a pick (though Penix was efficient), but Dillon Johnson ran for 256 yds. OSU was played in a ridiculous rainstorm and Penix had <200 yds passing. Wazzu held Penix to ~54% completions & 200 yds passing.

Physically, Dillon Johnson has been hurt most of the year. Odunze suffered broken ribs and a collapsed lung against Arizona and didn't miss a game. All teams play guys hurt, so I'm sure UT has its own version of this, but I wouldn't describe UW as fragile by any definition of that term.

UW doesn't get rattled and finds ways to win when things look really bleak. It's fair to criticize them for putting themselves in the bleak situation to start with, but if you're a team that has to go into a hostile environment in the Sugar Bowl (presumably it'll be 2/3 UT fans at least) against a really good team, that mental toughness is pretty important.

What's the other board you mentioned? Where do we go to find the educated Husky fans rather than whatever street trash collects on HH? 

Oh, and what can you tell us about your safeties that were injured and now are back? How does that change your defense? 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

Is your head up your ass?

Wut? The guy made some goofy jokes that drew several Texas posters in, and I am not sure why anyone fell for it. I am giving him props for that. It's stupid, but it worked. Otherwise, it's a bunch of 6th grade smack. But I guess at least we aren't discussing cheese or chicken fried steak.

Edited by Tex Pete

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What's the other board you mentioned? Where do we go to find the educated Husky fans rather than whatever street trash collects on HH? 

Oh, and what can you tell us about your safeties that were injured and now are back? How does that change your defense? 

The other board is the Dawgman 247 board. It is emphatically not going to give you what you want. In fairness, the gripes the HH board has with Dawgman are largely legit. The HH board has educated, reasonable husky fans. They just don't behave that way to people outside the circle of trust. I don't have a great suggestion for you on public boards to have a sober-minded football talk with Husky fans as a Longhorn fan.

For the safeties, they are Asa Turner and Kam Fabiculanan. I'm not going to claim that they're hidden all-conference gems or something (Turner is sometimes maddening with his tackling). Instead, their value is that (a) they make sure the defense is lined up properly and is reading the offense properly pre-snap, (b) they execute well to where totally busted coverage over the top is rare with them playing, and (c) (and most importantly) when those two aren't playing then other guys have to play out of position. Jabbar Muhammad has had to slide out of his primary CB slot and Meesh Powell has had to leave Nickel to make up for Turner and Fabiculanan being out. That causes problems of pre-snap line ups and bad CB play, which you'll see when you watch game tape on UW this year. To get a sense of how things change with them in, watch the Pac12 championship game film. Oregon's offense is predicated on getting really talented guys out in space where pre-snap lineup issues and missed tackles lead to YAC. Fabiculanan has some huge hits on Oregon's TEs. Coverage was really tight (even Oregon's TDs were mostly really impressive throws/catches against good coverage). UT's offense has elements of Oregon (short depth throws to get guys in space/scheming people into wide open space). Having Turner/KamFab healthy at the same time gives UW a much better chance of matching up against that than it has had for the vast majority of the season.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Sonics_1993 said:

The other board is the Dawgman 247 board. It is emphatically not going to give you what you want. In fairness, the gripes the HH board has with Dawgman are largely legit. The HH board has educated, reasonable husky fans. They just don't behave that way to people outside the circle of trust. I don't have a great suggestion for you on public boards to have a sober-minded football talk with Husky fans as a Longhorn fan.

So, ALL of your UW message boards are full of nothing but trolls, trash, and idiots??  What a beating.

Anyway, thanks to you and husky97 for the intelligent discourse, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

There's a site called realdawg.  It's a premium pay only site, which I don't pay for. I don't believe in paying for forums to read and participate in pointless circle jerks haha.  So I don't know how troll-ish that board is either.  

Regarding safety impact, sorry but I have to reference Oregon games again.  There is no denying that they are the most complete and therefore closest comparison to Texas that we have.  

1st game, we gave up over 200 yards rushing and couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs.  2nd game with our safeties healthy, we gave up 60 yards to their running backs.  Nix had a 60 yard broken play scamper that skewed those stats.  But if Ewers runs 60 yard scampers against us, then just go ahead and give you guys trophy haha.  And we were way better on 3rd downs.  Herbstreit said in the game that our safeties recognition of plays was the difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Sonics_1993 said:

Husky Explainer:

1. What's up with hardcorehusky.com?
    • It's a close-knit group of Husky fans who have been posting together on a progression of different sites for 20+ years. It isn't representative of the husky fan base in general for a bunch of reasons. It's nominally a place to talk Husky football, and the people there genuinely are fans of the team, but it is primarily a social organization for friends (and antagonists) to take pot shots at each other loosely organized around current events in Husky football. The posters there have a schtick of internet trolling, which is no doubt juvenile. They genuinely do have affection for each other, and a lot of them are knowledgeable about football, but as a cultural matter it's uncool there to be serious, genuine, and hopeful. You can be serious and genuine, but not hopeful. You can be hopeful and ironic. But genuine expressions of positive emotion read as naive and pollyannic in the Pacific Northwest, whereas genuine expressions of angst, depression, cynicism, etc. are treated almost as normative goods in their own right. If you understand that, you'll understand the HH posters coming here. They know they're being dumb. They know you think they're being dumb. They know it's a waste of time. They know it shouldn't be funny. They still think it's funny.
  2. Why do UW fans hate Sark?
    • Short version is that they don't, but it is genuinely true that Sark was an alcoholic serial adulterer during his time at UW, though his true sin from Husky perspective is that he let his vices impact his coaching. However much better he was than Ty Willingham, that's a remarkably low bar to clear and it is indisputable that his drinking and cavorting hurt the team's performance. Still, most Husky fans recognize him as a step on the path to a better future. The hate toward Sark tends to come primarily from the Hardcore Husky board, which as noted above is distinct from the broader Husky fan base. Part of that has to do with the fact that HH's existence stems from a break with a different Husky message board during the Sark era at UW, and the people in charge at that board were adamantly pro-Sark folks who shut down criticism of Sark. To this day, there is bad blood between the HH folks and that other board, and Sark becoming a good coach who has reformed himself would mean HH is open to a victory dance from that other board's leadership, which is intolerable to the HH group.
  3. Why do people think UW is good enough to beat UT?
    • To start with, it's true. UT is also good enough to beat UW. UT's d-line will probably be stouter than any UW has faced. UW's offense will be more potent and creative than any UT has faced. They're aren't perfect comps for either team on the other's schedule this year, which is good because that's the fun of the playoffs.
    • If you want a read on what makes UW a tough matchup, it obviously starts with Penix. He's got a huge arm, he makes decisions fast, he doesn't get rattled, he's really good when the team is behind the sticks, and he is really hard to sack. To that point, he's a pocket passer who throws a ton, and he's taken very few sacks this year. Same was true last year. UT will get its pressures, but it would be a very big win for UT if the horns can actually get a bunch of sacks. Beyond Penix, UW has really good skill guys. It's not just hard to cover the wideouts, but they're very tough in contested catches. Dillon Johnson is a 1,000 yard rusher on a team that doesn't try to run first. UW isn't going to run up the gut against UT, but something it does well against tough D-lines is use the whole field in the passing game with few substitutions to get the big guys tired, and then run opportunistically. Doesn't mean UW is going to be dominant on the ground, but don't expect them to try to run between the tackles and then abandon the run entirely.
    • If you want to understand the optimism of general Husky fans, it mostly stems from weird quirks in the season. UW's offense looked great the first three games of the year. It then lost Jalen McMillan (knee), Rome Odunze (broken ribs and a collapsed lung (played through it and didn't miss time but obv. not 100%)), Penix was sick through multiple games and looked awful, Bernard and Jackson missed time being hurt, UW played a bunch of crazy weather games, etc. The defense also had tons of injuries in the secondary (particularly safety). In any event, UW won all its games but the wins were unimpressive compared against early season games, and Husky fans themselves openly questioned how good the team was. The Pac12 championship game saw all those hurt players healthy at the same time for the first time since Michigan State and the team came out and looked like its old self against Oregon, which has people feeling optimistic.

Change the names & I feel like this last paragraph describes UT this season as well. Looked like world beaters vs. Bama, went through some injuries for a few weeks & won ugly with a backup QB or limited starter, then looked right vs OSU. I expect a really good game, I think we'll win barring a rash of turnovers like we had vs. OU, & I really don't want Penix to have the ball with a chance to win on the last drive because I think he'll find a way to break our hearts if given the chance.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

So, ALL of your UW message boards are full of nothing but trolls, trash, and idiots??

If you go to those boards exclusively to talk about an upcoming game where your team is playing UW, then yes. If you're there to simply be a poster for the long term, then no. There are fans of plenty of other teams who post there regularly and it goes fine (still juvenile trolling, but also good discussion as well). There's also just genuinely a cultural difference between PNW and Texas, even in a national culture that's getting more homogenous, and I don't mean that one is normatively better than the other. If you're used to the PNW culture, some of the stuff that will rub an outsider the wrong way isn't as bothersome, and vice versa.

Here is some game analysis from some UW fans who are more serious. I haven't looked at these, but for anyone curious:

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/washington-huskies-film-study-hall

they also have a sugar bowl preview (I assume they will do a more in-depth preview later). 

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2023/12/11/23994875/sugar-bowl-key-matchups-preview-uw-washington-huskies-texas-longhorns-football

5 minutes ago, Sonics_1993 said:

If you go to those boards exclusively to talk about an upcoming game where your team is playing UW, then yes. If you're there to simply be a poster for the long term, then no. There are fans of plenty of other teams who post there regularly and it goes fine (still juvenile trolling, but also good discussion as well). There's also just genuinely a cultural difference between PNW and Texas, even in a national culture that's getting more homogenous, and I don't mean that one is normatively better than the other. If you're used to the PNW culture, some of the stuff that will rub an outsider the wrong way isn't as bothersome, and vice versa.

Believe what you want, but it reads a lot more like the typical SEC fan board than anything culturally unique.

Edited by CashMcCoy

4 minutes ago, alphahydro said:

Here is some game analysis from some UW fans who are more serious. I haven't looked at these, but for anyone curious:

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/washington-huskies-film-study-hall

they also have a sugar bowl preview (I assume they will do a more in-depth preview later). 

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2023/12/11/23994875/sugar-bowl-key-matchups-preview-uw-washington-huskies-texas-longhorns-football

Texas will see this play

UW_vs_Oregon___McMillan_Bomb_v2.gif

1 minute ago, Sonics_1993 said:

Why else would I go to a Husky message board?  I mean, I'm not the type that goes to opponent's message boards to talk about anything, anyway.  But if I were, then I'd clearly only be concerned with an upcoming game against the Huskies, not building a relationship and becoming BFFs with the locals, you know what I mean?  Similar to why you're here, I'd imagine? 

That is, unless one of thujone's dick pics really grabbed your attention and made you want to stay-- which HAS happened in the past.  I think that's why most of our regular Sooner posters are still here.

Anyway, at least two of you aren't complete morons.  So, thanks.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Why else would I go to a Husky message board?  I mean, I'm not the type that goes to opponent's message boards to talk about anything, anyway.  But if I were, then I'd clearly only be concerned with an upcoming game against the Huskies, not building a relationship and becoming BFFs with the locals, you know what I mean?  Similar to why you're here, I'd imagine? 

That is, unless one of thujone's dick pics really grabbed your attention and made you want to stay-- which HAS happened in the past.  I think that's why most of our regular Sooner posters are still here.

Anyway, at least two of you aren't complete morons.  So, thanks.

Yeah. I'm not saying you shouldn't want to talk to the other team's fans about the game. That obviously is what I'm doing. I was just answering the question with my honest opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

PNW “culture” seems like it sucks. I’m guessing 90% of these shitty posters never took one class at UDub anyway.

I'm not from there, just went to school at UW, so I'm also bringing my non-PNW opinion on this. I seriously doubt that they'd describe themselves that way. Every region has its own shortcomings and benefits. Texas ain't perfect either, and every place has internet trolls.

9 minutes ago, Sonics_1993 said:

There's also just genuinely a cultural difference between PNW and Texas, even in a national culture that's getting more homogenous, and I don't mean that one is normatively better than the other.

So one culture that uses racial and homophobic slurs in some type of severely outdated, extremely juvenile, IQ of a salad bar (or less), is on par with a well educated, culturally  aligned one?

home-improvement-al-borland.gif.ec4e689e75277ecdf6c4721e97af7a00.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeDamone said:

Wow.. that is like 10 responses worth of pure lava. I think I need to reevaluate my life choices. Do you guys think it would be ok if I just sat and watched you post once a week so I can see how it's done?

Edited by Vertigo

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic