South/Central Texas Multiple Homicides (6 dead, 9 shot) 12/5/23

UnivTex34

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also…to bring it back to being germane to this thread…we COULD, at a bare minimum, make it so it’s not easier for them to arm themselves than it is to obtain decent medical care. Just spitballing here.

Yeah, we talk a big game on here about homelessness, the mentally ill, and addiction.  But every day in Texas, it's some version of this hundreds and hundreds of times each day:

"I don't think I'm well in the head.  When can I see a doctor or counselor or pharmacist?"

-Well, not for a few weeks and we'll need insurance information, valid payment info, identification, medical history, triplicate forms from the notary public, and your mother's mom's elementary school mascot."

"What am I supposed to do in the meantime while I get all that shit together and get on the wait-list for services?"

-We recommend this cache of firearms for no money down.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Since the eyes will be on New Orleans for the sugar bowl this year, that usually results in the sporadic sweeps of homeless people and their tents under the I-10 overpass, as the city does not want to present itself as a place with a lot of people shitting on the sidewalk and screaming at you.

True, the city collectively cares about them on the days the temperature drops to freezing. Then their overwhelming concern kicks in - and they give them a place to stay until it warms up. Which here is a week,   Then it’s back to the normal “We don’t give a fuck about whether you live or die” mentality.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Also…to bring it back to being germane to this thread…we COULD, at a bare minimum, make it so it’s not easier for them to arm themselves than it is to obtain decent medical care. Just spitballing here.

I understand that and 100% agree.

I am just talking about mental illness in general and how it should be treated and looked at. The human aspect of it. You e made your point. I agree. You’ve made it a couple of times.

I’ve made mine. I agree on the gun issue.

Do you have anything you’d like to contribute on the mental health issue or just continually talk about guns. There are a ton of mentally ill people that don’t do what Shane did. They don’t. There are millions of people with guns that don’t do and won’t do what Shane did.

I agree with you on the gun issue and access and ownership and the whole 9 yards. Do you have anything to add on the mental health issue? Or just to comment specifically to my posts on mental illness and make your point about guns which I don’t disagree with. 

I thought what I had to say was heartfelt and having dealt with a death in the family that had both a gun and mental health issue component was important. People like Shane would find a way to kill with or without guns and I was trying to address that specifically. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I understand that and 100% agree.
I am just talking about mental illness in general and how it should be treated and looked at. The human aspect of it. You e made your point. I agree. You’ve made it a couple of times.
I’ve made mine. I agree on the gun issue.
Do you have anything you’d like to contribute on the mental health issue or just continually talk about guns. There are a ton of mentally ill people that don’t do what Shane did. They don’t. There are millions of people with guns that don’t do and won’t do what Shane did.
I agree with you on the gun issue and access and ownership and the whole 9 yards. Do you have anything to add on the mental health issue? Or just to comment specifically to my posts on mental illness and make your point about guns which I don’t disagree with. 

I thought what I had to say was heartfelt and having dealt with a death in the family that had both a gun and mental health issue component was important. People like Shane would find a way to kill with or without guns and I was trying to address that specifically. 

Oh, on that topic, it’s easy: nothing will happen because we the people don’t actually care about the mentally ill. The trend line for our society is at pretty close to its peak narcissism/selfishness/“all me, there is no we.” Nothing will happen because fuck them, I got mine, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, all the standard shit.
Doesn’t matter what good ideas any of us have - nothing will come of them because this society doesn’t want them to. Other people suffering isn’t something we care about.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, on that topic, it’s easy: nothing will happen because we the people don’t actually care about the mentally ill. The trend line for our society is at pretty close to its peak narcissism/selfishness/“all me, there is no we.” Nothing will happen because fuck them, I got mine, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, all the standard shit.
Doesn’t matter what good ideas any of us have - nothing will come of them because this society doesn’t want them to. Other people suffering isn’t something we care about.

This post reminded me exactly of the 40 second mark:

Edited by BeardIP
  • Haha 4

New charges.

Jail records previously showed James facing two capital murder charges. Now, he is facing four capital murder charges, plus two charges for felony Aggravated Assault Against a Public Servant in connection with allegedly injuring officers with the Austin ISD Police Department and the Austin Police Department. He also faces another first-degree felony charge, but the details of that charge have not been made available.

James is scheduled to appear in court on Jan. 18, 2024. He is currently being held in the Travis County Jail without bond.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/austin-shooting-shane-james-charges/269-be4cd8a5-763f-4b6c-9a04-67d1208aedf9

IMHO it seems like AISD should be saying more about this. First police officer shot on Northeast Early College H.S. campus. Shooter resumes shooting about 1/3 from Bedichek. Shooter's whereabouts unknown for 4-5 hours before resuming activities about 3/4 mile from Bowie, on the same trail that leads directly to/from Bowie

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

From all accounts, it seems that this guy didn't know the victims other than his parents? Just kills his parents, strolls up to Austin and starts wreaking havoc? Makes zero sense.

The victims in Circle C were a mother and child. How old was the child?

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The victims in Circle C were a mother and child. How old was the child?

Mother was 56, daughter was 30 and had special needs of some kind. Right now all evidence is pointing towards every target of his in the Austin area being selected at random. Police have said he had no known ties to Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, Gatorubet said:

Since the eyes will be on New Orleans for the sugar bowl this year, that usually results in the sporadic sweeps of homeless people and their tents under the I-10 overpass, as the city does not want to present itself as a place with a lot of people shitting on the sidewalk and screaming at you.

True, the city collectively cares about them on the days the temperature drops to freezing. Then their overwhelming concern kicks in - and they give them a place to stay until it warms up. Which here is a week,   Then it’s back to the normal “We don’t give a fuck about whether you live or die” mentality.

New Orleans might just leave the homeless alone this year to make the universities from Austin and Seattle feel at home.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

From all accounts, it seems that this guy didn't know the victims other than his parents? Just kills his parents, strolls up to Austin and starts wreaking havoc? Makes zero sense.

He may have wanted to strike schools/kids but no one really knows. I don’t think he had an arsenal. He could have stayed in San Antonio and wreaked havoc there. I don’t know if we can really “know” what was going on or what his mission was because he is mentally ill. He was doing gosh only knows what for over four hours in between the shootings in Austin. Randomly goes to a house and kicks in the door and kills two women, one with special needs. Even if he left a manifesto or some shit I don’t know why he came here at all. He could have carried out attacks in San Antonio. 

I was just curious where his sister lives. I mean I think her name and location should stay private but wondered if she lived in Austin and he was trying to finish her off as well. KVUE said they obtained a ring camera from a neighbor of his parents. Said on Monday night he was seen on camera ranting and pacing in front of the house. Goes back inside. Seen later early Tuesday morning leaving in a car. Comes back and parks in the driveway and goes inside for a bit and then leaves again for Austin. It’s crazy with all the CCtV cameras and other cameras they haven’t really figured out where he was though from 12:00 until 5:00 pm the day of the shootings. 

Edited by Nicole44

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

I assume they can track his phone movements

They can get at least a general area, if he had a phone, which I assume he did.  The precision varies though. Sometimes it's very good, because of a triangulation of multiple cell towers. Other times, you can only tell what was the closest tower to his location. Occasionally, not that often, you can't really get a good location.  ETA: Of course LE can probably get GPS traces after the fact. I was thinking, out of habit, more in terms of what we could do 'live' on 911 calls at CTECC.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Been watching. Sounds like he bought the .45 caliber pistol privately in July

He stole cars from each location

No mention on where and what he was doing in between incidents

I agree that the police didn’t have enough info to link the incidents until later and they are definitely covering their ass

To me it sounds like they responded to each scene very quick. Quicker than I would have expected tbh

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Updawg said:

As much as it sucks for the father seeing that remotely in real time that probably saved more lives. No way the cops respond that quick without that happening

Agreed. Another bit of information that was in presser:

“Austin police also told the press on Tuesday that officers briefly interacted with James in Austin more than five years ago. They say he had a mental health crisis at the Mosaic Church on Research Boulevard in northwest Austin in March of 2018. No one was hurt and APD took him into emergency custody, but James was not charged.”

————-

Maybe he was looking for the church and got confused since he didn’t have his phone with him? I know they have no clue why he came here. Cant find an overall agenda. It’s possible that in his crazed mind he was trying to get to a specific location or person and then it evolved into stealing random cars and killing random people. 

On 12/7/2023 at 11:39 PM, GringoSalado said:

and I do indeed regret engaging in good faith here.

Just catching up with this one but this struck me as a really funny way to word it. 

It's just missing an "and I said good day, sir!" at the end. 

Edited by Hermanator

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

right? b/t that and Nicole seems like a lot of hints, innuendo, and 'if i told you i'd have to kill you, too' info.

Mostly what I had heard turned out to be accurate (the victims and how they were found) and there were rumors about the parents bodies perhaps showing signs of overkill (best way I know how to put it.) some of what I read/heard wasn’t true. The mother and daughter in the final shooting were not a young mother and child. But I have heard nothing about this being a plot against the schools. The police officer shot outside the highschool was on the baseball field. I haven’t heard the shooter wasn’t anything other than batshit crazy and had no agenda. But that’s all I have heard. Just that the way the parents were found was highly disturbing. That’s all I got. No cloak and dagger here. I put my shit in spoilers.

Shooter isn’t talking at all so his arraignment should be a blast. He didn’t have his cellphone on him during his spree. Apparently stole cars from each shooting location and didn’t have an arsenal of weapons. Glad the response was as swift as it was at the highschool where the officer was shot. I think if he had a specific location in mind he couldn’t find it when he got here and ran out of gas and shot people he encountered. They still have no clue what he was doing for those five hours in between shootings. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

You just going to throw that out there?

12 hours ago, mchookem said:

right? b/t that and Nicole seems like a lot of hints, innuendo, and 'if i told you i'd have to kill you, too' info.

Sorry. Been a busy day with the vball & all.

Edit: I had put the 'info' in spoilers but on second thought, I'll just DM you both so as to keep it off the interwaves. I ain't tryna get anyone in trouble. Anyone else, PM me if you want.

Edited by wood