2023 NCAAVB Championship: #2 Texas vs #1 Nebraska; 2pm ABC (Dec 17)

Js1

Some amazing passing numbers from Texas

Skinner 2.25

Barnes 2.29

Halter 2.25

Akana 2.36

Wenaas 1.64

Nebraska - ouch

Murray 1.52

Batenhorst 1.46

Beason 0.50

Choboy 1.70

Rodriguez 2.00

Nebraska’s team passing of 1.55 is still better than our 1.46 in 2021. But not by much. We definitely reverse uno’d them on that one 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, troph said:

I went back and listened to their presser - other than the coaches comments at the very end about Texas being a team of only transfer mercenaries which isn’t true - I thought they were fine actually. The win 3 in a row was youthful silliness. The O’Neal comment about international play was a compliment imo. Their coach basically said Texas rolled them with the hardest serve game they’ve faced all year. He admitted he was helpless. The kids were sad and want to win. I hate the huskers but this press conference was ok in my view.

12 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I hated his comment about how Tenn shouldve beaten us. Pretty low class if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

That smug grin by Harper Murray at the end is what gets me. Just got embarrassed on national tv and they’re acting like they’re still the standard bearer. 

Nebraska head coach also bitched that O'Neal had a bunch of spikes that he thought should have been ruled throws. The entitled, snotty behavior by corn players at the press conference was a direct result of his shitty, snide, loser attitude. They lost overwhelmingly in 3 straight. They should only talk about themselves. Say what they could have done better. Nebraska players or coach had no reason to even speak Texas' name. They're young but that's no excuse for being rude and it's certainly no excuse for that snide old fart in the coach's seat.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ha, fuck that athletic tape!

Shit’s $2.99/roll at Academy. 

Also we’ve been doing it a long ass time. If it was such an advantage, we’d have more than 3 titles. 

Your passing sucked and we overloaded Harper and she mentally folded. Just own it, Corn 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Mittens said:

This motherfucker...

image.thumb.png.007c09c2d9d436c4c96d1b10383032ad.png

Ha, Texas doesn't do ANY top spin serving.  Parra was the main top spin server and she transferred.  All of the serves last night are what are called "jump floats."  The best way for non-volleyball folks to understand it is to think of a knuckleball in baseball.  You want as little spin as possible so the ball moves in unpredictable ways.  

Texas was also on fire with their service placement.  Top spin serves (unless incredibly powerful) are actually easier to return than a proper float.  You can anticipate the motion of a top spin.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

It was funny, my wife doesn't watch sports with me usually.  She's not a football, basketball, baseball fan, but she watched the last two volleyball games with me.  She's heard me over the years complain about announcers and their anti-UT bias.  Last night she said, "Holy shit, you're right.  These announcers are obviously wanting Nebraska to win."  Then later in the first set she saw how the down ref didn't call a double contact on the Nebraska middle and then gave Elliot a red card.  "OMG, these refs don't want UT to win."  I feel vindicated for all the years that she looked at me like I was a moron when I was complaining about the announcers and refs.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

We've had that ref at some of my boys' bigger national and regional tournaments before. She's just as bad at the club level as she is at the NCAA level. Stunning that she gets to call an NCAA Final. Wow.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, wood said:

We've had that ref at some of my boys' bigger national and regional tournaments before. She's just as bad at the club level as she is at the NCAA level. Stunning that she gets to call an NCAA Final. Wow.

I mean, it's ok to make mistakes.  It was the attitude that she was giving off that was the problem. She missed two MAJOR calls in the first set, but instead of owning the mistakes was just above it all.  Fuck that, I give refs (esp at the youth level) a lot of leeway because it's a hard job, but there's no excuse for the ego here.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Ha, Texas doesn't do ANY top spin serving.  Parra was the main top spin server and she transferred.  All of the serves last night are what are called "jump floats."  The best way for non-volleyball folks to understand it is to think of a knuckleball in baseball.  You want as little spin as possible so the ball moves in unpredictable ways.  

Texas was also on fire with their service placement.  Top spin serves (unless incredibly powerful) are actually easier to return than a proper float.  You can anticipate the motion of a top spin.

Exactly. Topspin can be very effective (like the cannon shots in the men's game esp), but it's predictable. The float's unpredictability is what makes it so tough, and I struggle to see how wearing 'friction tape' (wtf) would help anyone hit a better float. Seems to me that it would make it harder to do. They wear the tape to protect their fingers. Full stop. 

Whatever. Morons gonna moron. On that note, it turns out this idiot is also a Scott Frost fan. 

He's getting absolutely destroyed in the comments, too, just like his team was yesterday.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3

I mean, it's ok to make mistakes.  It was the attitude that she was giving off that was the problem. She missed two MAJOR calls in the first set, but instead of owning the mistakes was just above it all.  Fuck that, I give refs (esp at the youth level) a lot of leeway because it's a hard job, but there's no excuse for the ego here.
I could be wrong and certainly don't ref volleyball, but what I got from the interaction with JE and the down official was that it's the up official's responsibility to call Rotation Error and it was missed.

You saw him between sets motion to the up official to talk about it with the down official.

29 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yeah she's even worse reffing club matches. Super-defensive and barely even allows anyone to speak to her, even when she's obviously fucked up the call. 

You have to understand, I live in Texas and know quite a few Huskers, and they have it rough. They get real embarrassed when you bring up football and usually a little bit hostile since Texas obliterated their football program. They aren't good at any other sports except volleyball. It is the one thing they are excited about and they can all rally behind. They know it's not the same as being the best football team but dammit, they are proud of those girls on the volleyball team and are pretty cocky about it. They finally thought they were going to get revenge on Texas. And now the big bad wolf Texas has come in and fucked their shit up, they fucked up the one thing going right for them at that university. They are on suicide watch right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You have to understand, I live in Texas and know quite a few Huskers, and they have it rough. They get real embarrassed when you bring up football and usually a little bit hostile since Texas obliterated their football program. They aren't good at any other sports except volleyball. It is the one thing they are excited about and they can all rally behind. They know it's not the same as being the best football team but dammit, they are proud of those girls on the volleyball team and are pretty cocky about it. They finally thought they were going to get revenge on Texas. And now the big bad wolf Texas has come in and fucked their shit up, they fucked up the one thing going right for them at that university. They are on suicide watch right now. 

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, smoky said:

I could be wrong and certainly don't ref volleyball, but what I got from the interaction with JE and the down official was that it's the up official's responsibility to call Rotation Error and it was missed.

You saw him between sets motion to the up official to talk about it with the down official.

It's the down ref's responsibility to call out of rotations.  They're the ones tracking subs/etc.

9 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

8d645d1c-5bef-4551-bd46-c8076bba56c4_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Watched the game with my 13 year old who is in to volleyball. She's tall and skinny for her age. 

I can hope can't I?

Anyway, awesome job ladies. 

Hook 'em!

13? Better get her started pronto if she wants to play.

ETA: I wish I woulda gotten my boys in sooner, but I had no idea boy's club vb (AJV) was even available in Austin until my oldest was a freshman. He didn't make the Bowie baseball team and I was looking around and found AJV's open gyms for boys. He went, and was in heaven right off the bat. He was 6'2" already as a freshman and said he felt like he'd finally found 'his people'. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, wood said:

13? Better get her started pronto if she wants to play.

She's been playing for two years (two seasons), just in middle school. 

Needs to work on her coordination. She can jump, but needs to work on her timing. Also on her motivation. She likes playing and being part of a team, but she's not into training or conditioning. 

We'll see. I'm not going to force anything. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Here's the double contact on the Nebraska middle in the first set.  Starts at 56:55 if the link doesn't work.

Holy shit. Yeah I remember thinking at the time that I had been taking crazy pills and must have seen it wrong. How in the actual fuck does a ref standing right there not call that? How do they both miss maybe the most basic and obvious call in volleyball? Unbelievable.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Holy shit. Yeah I remember thinking at the time that I had been taking crazy pills and must have seen it wrong. How in the actual fuck does a ref standing right there not call that? Unbelievable.

and then she calls net on Jenna.  The net was super close and I think she did it, but TV never showed a great angle.  The miss on the double contact was unbelievable and I think that plus the out of rotation is what set Elliot off.  I was surprised we didn't see a challenge card after that point.

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

and then she calls net on Jenna.  The net was super close and I think she did it, but TV never showed a great angle.  The miss on the double contact was unbelievable and I think that plus the out of rotation is what set Elliot off.  I was surprised we didn't see a challenge card after that point.

Yeah the double would have ended the point long before the net by Jenna. And looking at the double a bit more closely, the first of the two contacts looks a helluva lot like a lift.

Holy shit. Yeah I remember thinking at the time that I had been taking crazy pills and must have seen it wrong. How in the actual fuck does a ref standing right there not call that? Unbelievable.
I was in the arena sitting in the upper deck and saw that shit. The wife and I were like "wtf".
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I just watched it again on the big OLED. Yeah, that's a lift that turns into a double, and no call. But somehow she caught Jenna's microtouch of her shoulder, hidden by her hair in the net at the same time.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, wood said:

I just watched it again on the big OLED. Yeah, that's a lift that turns into a double, and no call. But somehow she caught Jenna's microtouch of her shoulder, hidden by her hair in the net at the same time.

Yeah, I had less problem with the lift as they let a couple of those close ones go.  That double isn't a call that is open to "interpretation."  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Elliott seemed really frustrated with the refs in the post-game press conference. 

He said the out-of-rotation miss was obvious. Even the players were shaking their heads yes. 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Elliott seemed really frustrated with the refs in the post-game press conference. 

He said the out-of-rotation miss was obvious. Even the players were shaking their heads yes. 

From the red card onward, we outscored them 53-26. Maybe he should get one every match.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

And yet, we still beat them in straight sets.

Not gonna whine about this.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

As usual, you are jumping into a conversation you don’t know. This site has murdered Lexi Sun for fucking years, but I wouldn’t expect a front-runner like you to know. 

I actually do know, the issue is that you're attempting to police topical comments because of unrelated previous posters' attitudes and comments. The current comments aren't even about Sun, they're about Cook's apparent hypocrisy (even though I think his comments were misinterpreted by many here).

Also, as usual you mistake post count and activity for knowledge and fandom. Being the most prolific bloviating blowhard doesn't mean you're the biggest fan. It just means you're more likely to post a bunch of bullshit from sheer number of opportunities, which you certainly take advantage of. On pretty much every board. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I actually do know, the issue is that you're attempting to police topical comments because of unrelated previous posters' attitudes and comments. The current comments aren't even about Sun, they're about Cook's apparent hypocrisy (even though I think his comments were misinterpreted by many here).

Also, as usual you mistake post count and activity for knowledge and fandom. Being the most prolific bloviating blowhard doesn't mean you're the biggest fan. It just means you're more likely to post a bunch of bullshit from sheer number of opportunities, which you certainly take advantage of. On pretty much every board. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1