2024 Off-Season Thread

On 2/26/2024 at 4:51 PM, MuellerHorn said:

Team notes from Bobby:

Reveal hidden contents

News and notes on various aspects of the team and its players. It's what we call emptying the notebook.

Jaray Bledsoe - "Looks great."

Alex January - "He's going to play this year."

Sydir Mitchell - "Improving. Body looks a little better."

The two freshman offensive linemen were singled out.

Brandon Baker is said to be an outstanding athlete and his off-field, weight-room demeanor has been similar to that of Kelvin Banks when Banks first arrived.

After the glowing about Baker finished, the source was quick to mention the professional demeanor of Daniel Cruz as well.

"Those two are keepers," the source said.

The source felt J'Mond Tapp "was coming on", specifically becoming a smarter player. He's always had the physical tools, but just needed to add good weight and play within the framework of the defense. He could be an X factor for the Texas D this year.

Anthony Hill Jr. - "He's locked in. He looks great."

Isaiah Bond - "Has some diva to him like a lot of wideouts. But he's not that way when he gets on the football field. Intentional worker."

Billy Walton - "Looks great. Really great athlete."

Tausili Akana - "A little small. Needs to add good weight. Working at SAM and edge."

Jake Majors - "Really had a good year last year. Did not go to the ground nearly as much. Have to give him credit, he's really made something of himself. You can count on him."

Tiaoalii Savea - "Better version of Trill Carter."

Team thoughts:

- Still concerned about stopping the run.

- Speed on offense is different this year.

- Need one or two interior DLs in the portal.

I'll share more as I get more...

wait, but i was told Kyle Flood really wanted to replace Jake Majors a the first opportunity he had! i was told he's terrible! i was told he's no good!

Jake Majors - "Really had a good year last year. Did not go to the ground nearly as much. Have to give him credit, he's really made something of himself. You can count on him."

4isbsv.png

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

wait, but i was told Kyle Flood really wanted to replace Jake Majors a the first opportunity he had! i was told he's terrible! i was told he's no good!

4isbsv.png

BOW’s crusade against Majors this offseason looks even dumber now than it did last year, which is really saying something because he came off as a total regard last offseason. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

BOW’s crusade against Majors this offseason looks even dumber now than it did last year, which is really saying something because he came off as a total regard last offseason. 

lol

just in case folks forget, he has started 41 straight games for Texas and could potentially leave Texas having started 55 straight games

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

lol

just in case folks forget, he has started 41 straight games for Texas and could potentially leave Texas having started 55 straight games

You think he’s going to get injured before the National Semifinals game or just opt out? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Majors has started a ton of games and is a good starting center, and he also has some weak points. We're allowed to say that here, right? 

there is a huge difference between saying and believing that about Majors (he's good with some weaknesses, which is absolutely true) and thinking that a guy whose entire lifetime experience at center is splitting second team snaps during fall camp and has never been listed on the depth chart at C is going to start because you think the starter is shit (Hutson) or a guy who has been beaten out every game he has ever been on campus by Majors (Robertson) is going to suddenly be elevated to start at C

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

This list is bullshit. There is zero point zero chance Parker Livingstone runs a 4.3. I think he is a mid 4.4 guy. No way Niblett is under a 4.3. No way Johntay or Dubose is clocking a 4.3 either. This guy is probably projecting a 40 based on a top speed or trying to convert a track time. 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This list is bullshit. There is zero point zero chance Parker Livingstone runs a 4.3. I think he is a mid 4.4 guy. No way Niblett is under a 4.3. No way Johntay or Dubose is clocking a 4.3 either. This guy is probably projecting a 40 based on a top speed or trying to convert a track time. 

a 2 min search doesn't show anything about Livingston's 40 times

the 4.29 Niblett time is wild but he did run a 10.41 FAT 100 and there have been reports on his on field MPH getting up there w/ Worthy

but yeah, those 40 times are all bullshit lol someone took what is on recruiting profiles as gospel and tweeted it out.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

wtf do you mean this offseason? I haven't said anything about Jake Majors this offseason but I have said on the recruiting boards my frustration has shifted to Hayden Conner.  

Oh and tag me next time pussy.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

56 minutes ago, NoName said:

there is a huge difference between saying and believing that about Majors (he's good with some weaknesses, which is absolutely true) and thinking that a guy whose entire lifetime experience at center is splitting second team snaps during fall camp and has never been listed on the depth chart at C is going to start because you think the starter is shit (Hutson) or a guy who has been beaten out every game he has ever been on campus by Majors (Robertson) is going to suddenly be elevated to start at C

Frequently the true backup center isn't listed there if he's starting at guard 

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

wtf do you mean this offseason? I haven't said anything about Jake Majors this offseason but I have said on the recruiting boards my frustration has shifted to Hayden Conner.  

Oh and tag me next time pussy.

Message board tag slap fight not going away…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vertigo said:

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

• Haha 1

Around the 17 min mark is why I think the big OOC matchups will go away moving forward. We'll be having 2-3 more of those kind of games at the end of the season. You'll want your best players healthy and your backups as many reps as possible before conference play. 

In the movie Speed, made in 1994, Keanu Reeves references the Arizona Wildcats, saying, and I quote, “They are a good team.”  

The offensive coordinator of that team? Duane Akina. And now you know the rest of the story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

In the movie Speed, made in 1994, Keanu Reeves references the Arizona Wildcats, saying, and I quote, “They are a good team.”  

The offensive coordinator of that team? Duane Akina. And now you know the rest of the story. 

Offensive coordinator? 

Spring Football Primer | Transfer Additions 2024 (OTF)

Spoiler

Spring Football Primer | Transfer Additions 2024

CJ Vogel

By CJ Vogel

• 1 hour ago

We took a look at the early enrollees on both sides of the ball earlier this week, now it is time to take a look at the seven additions out of the transfer portal that are on campus for the spring.

Of course, keep in mind that Oregon State WR Silas Bolden will arrive at the conclusion of the semester and enroll for June.

WR Isaiah Bond

Adding the former WR1 for Alabama is never a bad sign. In fact, I would argue it is a good one! Bond has tremendous top-end speed and could rival Jaydon Blue or anyone else for that matter as the fastest player on the Texas roster for the spring. Bond made it clear he came to Texas to improve his draft stock with a quarterback like Quinn Ewers. He will be prioritized in the lineup and by the end of spring, I would be a bit surprised if he has not separated himself as WR1 for the Longhorns heading into the summer.

WR Matthew Golden

Golden actually had his best game of the 2023 season against Texas which is ironically rather funny to me. Golden does not have that top-end elite speed, but he can still burn you if you are not careful. There is also great wiggle to his game and in short, close areas, he is a nightmare to bring down to the ground. For the spring, you can expect to see Golden with the first unit.

TE Amari Niblack

Texas tested an Alabama tight end transfer with great speed vertical ability once before – that did not work out so great. However, by all accounts, Niblack has been great since joining the Texas program. There were glimpses of a true TE1 last year while at Alabama. Some of the same route concepts that made Ja'Tavion Sanders such a threat last fall, will be used to free up Niblack in space in 2024.

DT Tiaoalii Savea

The addition of Johnny Nansen to that staff also helped Texas secure some defensive line depth with the addition of Savea. Following the NFL departures of T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy, the interior DL is the biggest question mark on the team currently. While Savea won't be the full-time answer for either, at least not at the moment, he is expected to see large shares of the snap count and be a contributing factor in the run-game.

EDGE Trey Moore

Trey Moore has proven over the last two years he can really get after the quarterback. With 22.5 sacks in two seasons, Texas will be greatly appreciate adding him to their defensive end room. While that group looks awfully crowded on paper, I am of full belief we will see Moore in that top-two range for snap count come the fall at the EDGE spot. It certainly doesn't hurt that he came in with a tremendous mindset and approach to winter conditioning.

LB Kendrick Blackshire – Transferred from Alabama

Replacing Jaylan Ford is near the top of the priority list for the Texas defensive staff this offseason. Ford's smarts and ability to drop in coverage were qualities that are not easily replaceable, especially when joining a new conference. Blackshire comes in from Alabama with the expectation to get on the field, though it will be up to him to supplant David Gbenda and fend off Liona Lefau and Derion Gullette. If Blackshire shows an improvement in the passing game, there is a chance he finds himself a nice role on the Texas D.

DB Andrew Mukuba – Transferred from Clemson

Texas is adding a lot of experience and production in the backend of their secondary with the addition of Mukuba. The former Freshman All-American brings athleticism to the group that Texas did not have in 2023. On top of that, there is already familiarity with secondary members Michael Taaffe and Jahdae Barron as the trio trains together in the Austin area. It is my expectation to see Mukuba in the starting lineup come spring game time.

The Insider: Sizing up the Longhorns' secondary, winter workout updates and more

The Insider: Sizing up the Longhorns' secondary, winter workout updates and more

In this week's edition of "The Insider," we do a deep dive into the Longhorns' secondary with 12 days to go until the start of spring football. We've also got winter workout updates and more.

Chip BrownChip Brown Mar 7th, 10:43 AMVIP

With 12 days to go until the beginning of spring football (on March 19), one of the position groups that got my full attention this week is the Longhorns’ secondary.

More specifically, I went digging to get an idea of which players will emerge to solidify a secondary that got picked on at critical times in 2023.

I’m hearing fifth-year senior Jahdae Barron could spend quite a bit of time at cornerback in the spring along with Malik Muhammad, Terrance Brooks, Gavin Holmes and some hungry underclassmen. The latter includes redshirt freshman Warren Roberson and a pair of early enrollee freshmen: Kobe Black and Wardell Mack.

One of the biggest reasons why the coaches feel comfortable with Barron logging reps at cornerback is the way Jaylon Guilbeau is performing in winter workouts. Keep in mind that Guilbeau opened the 2022 season as the starter at STAR over Barron.

“Guilbeau is back to the speed and movement he had two years ago,” one team source said, referring to a knee injury that forced him to miss the last five games of his true freshman season. “That’s big.”

While Clemson transfer Andrew Mukuba is seen as a key addition at safety, one team source said Mukuba will get reps at STAR along with rising junior Austin Jordan. Mukuba played safety, nickel and cornerback during his three seasons with the Tigers (2021-23).

So what about safety, where rising junior Michael Taaffe (439 snaps in 2023) and rising sophomore Derek Williams Jr. (397 snaps in 2023) are the returnees with the most experience (after Jerrin Thompson transferred to Auburn and Kitan Crawford transferred to Nevada)?

One team source said the most likely players to compete for the two-deep at safety, in addition to Taaffe and Williams, are Mukuba (6-0, 195) and rising sophomore Jelani McDonald (6-2, 198).

Mukuba, who played at least 579 snaps in each of the last three seasons at Clemson, “is getting more comfortable every day,” said one team source. “He’s gonna be a productive player for us.”

McDonald, the son of former TCU linebacker LaMarcus McDonald, who was the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year in 2002 for the Horned Frogs, is a physical specimen with great length. If his play matches how he looks getting off the bus this season, watch out.

But multiple sources said early enrollee freshman safety Xavier Filsaime (6-1, 190) has been one of the most impressive — if not the most impressive — first-year players in winter workouts.

“Filsaime has been a standout,” one team source said.

The other name at safety I heard this week for the first time since winter workouts began is early enrollee freshman Jordon Johnson-Rubell (5-10, 190).

“He reminds me of Jahdae Barron,” one team source said of Johnson-Rubell. “Super smart, high football IQ, solid work ethic and a fearless tackler in space. Can’t wait to see him on the field.”

That source said Johnson-Rubell, a Fort Worth native who finished his high school football career at IMG Academy, will also get a look at the STAR position.

It sounds like you’ve got two hungry, young wolves at safety in Filsaime and Johnson-Rubell who could wind up hopping onto the same fast track to playing time Derek Williams got on once he arrived on campus last June. Time will tell, but their strong, consistent performances during winter workouts have the coaches anticipating that they’ll be able to carry it over to the practice field when spring ball gets underway in less than two weeks.

Thoughts on the secondary heading into spring ball

— At cornerback, Muhammad is someone who I think will be a breakout star in 2024.

— Brooks will be fine at corner if he can clean up the costly, downfield penalties.

— The possibility of Barron at cornerback is intriguing. After his breakout 2022 season in which he led the team in tackles for loss (11.5) and scored two defensive touchdowns from the STAR position, I thought Barron would contend for first-team All-Big 12 honors in 2023.

That didn’t happen, but Barron was a bit of a fireman in 2023, moving around from STAR to cornerback to safety to try to put out fires whenever called upon. The best example of how important he was is what he did in the team’s road win over Houston, a game in which he played virtually the entire second half after entering the game available only in an emergency.

Barron is too talented not to be part of the solution wherever he lines up.

— Holmes is a solid rotational player.

— Roberson (6-0, 193) is raw. Talented, but raw. He’ll need to refine his technique to get in the mix, and he’s certainly capable of that.

— Black (6-2, 200) and Mack (6-0, 185) will start making their case in 12 days.

— At STAR, the news of Guilbeau being back to his speedy, confident self is huge news. Coaches also have a lot of trust in Jordan.

— At safety, my players to watch in addition to Williams and Taaffe are Mukuba, McDonald and Filsaime, and maybe not in that order. I’ve heard enough good things about Filsaime to think he might be this year’s version of Williams.

Let the competition begin.

Who's the fastest wideout in a room oozing speed?

— We’ve talked quite a bit during winter workouts about the wide receiver room, which is overflowing with talent and doesn’t even have everyone on campus yet (Oregon State graduate transfer Silas Bolden will arrive in June).

Whether you’re talking about the returnees (Johntay Cook, DeAndre Moore Jr. and Ryan Niblett), the transfers (Isaiah Bond and Matthew Golden) or the freshmen who enrolled for the spring semester (Ryan Wingo, Aaron Butler, Parker Livingstone and Freddie Dubose), this entire group is pushing each other.

“You’d think we lost all of our production from last year, and there are jobs open or something,” one team source joked this week. “No one wants to be outdone.”

Xavier Worthy rocketing his way to the fastest 40-yard dash time ever recorded at the NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.21 over the weekend seemed to spark a debate in the locker room about who’s the fastest player on the team currently.

Bond boldly laid claim to that honor by posting on his social media that he’ll be running a 4.20 at next year’s combine.

Based on winter workouts, one source said it’s probably a battle between Niblett, Bond and Wingo for the title of fastest Longhorn in 2024. With that said, other sources said it’s too close to call.

“You could line ‘em up in every lane on the track and it would be a helluva race,” a team source said of the Texas wideouts.

Based on their high school track times in the 100-meter dash, the seeding might look like this: Niblett (10.47), Bond (10.49), Wingo (10.50), Cook (10.76), Butler (10.80), Moore (10.90), Golden (10.93), Bolden (11.08), Livingstone (11.70) and Dubose (11.83).

That’s ridiculous speed. Like, maybe even historical speed the Longhorns have at the position right now.

Other standouts in winter workouts

— UTSA transfer EDGE Trey Moore: I keep hearing the word “juice” in connection with Moore.

— Early enrollee freshman EDGE Colin Simmons: Quickly gaining universal “freak” status.

— Early enrollee freshman EDGE Zina Umeozulu (6-5, 235): “He’s long, strong and has some bend,” a team source said.

— Early enrollee freshman defensive tackle Alex January (6-5, 320): “The kid is put together and has the right demeanor,” a team source said.

— Redshirt freshman linebacker Derion Gullette (6-3, 231): “Explosive and determined,” a team source said.

— A team source said Niblett, Roberson, OL Jaydon Chatman, EDGE Tausili Akana, EDGE Billy Walton and DT Sydir Mitchell were among the most improved players from the beginning to the end of the 2023 season based on their performances in practice.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Quinn listed 10 lbs heavier.

Savion is a bowling ball.

Kobe Black 6'2 204
Ryan Wingo 6'2 208
Christian Clark 6' 210 and Jerrick Gibson 5'10 211
Zina 6'5 255
Ty'Anthony 6'1 197 lbs
Daniel Cruz 6'3 307
Brandon Baker 6'4 297
Alex January 6'5 324

Blackshire 6'2 261
Niblack 6'4 231
Trey moore 6'3 242
Tiaoalii Savea 6'4 293

Derion Gullette 6'3 232
Broughton 6'4 307
Tausili Akana 6'4 215
Aaron Bryant 6'2 307
DJ Campbell 6'3 332
Cam Williams 6'5 360
Stroh 6'7 372
Trevor Goosby 6'7 313
Juan Davis 6'4 230
Sydir 6'6 372
Bledsoe 6'4 293

Are all the ones of note IMO

TE:

Amari Niblack: 6'4, 231

Juan Davis: 6'4, 230

Spencer Shannon: 6'7, 251

Gunnar Helm: 6'5, 250

Will Randal: 6'4, 238

Westlake Edges (because people have been concerned with them adding weight):

Ethan Burke: 6'6, 254

Colton Vasek: 6'5, 256

Some dude posted a link to the weight differences from last year to this year over at OTF:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bxb5zfOTGbuXkUCVIcAzAWYuA6fItA9O6VTsX9tutbU/edit?pli=1#gid=0

We have 4 guys at 360 or over. That's ridiculous. Sydir Mitchell is not a "good" 372. Sweat could have played with less weight too, so whatever. 

Red at 240 is disturbing. They are going to have to change the name of Redcat to Redfat.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some dude posted a link to the weight differences from last year to this year over at OTF:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bxb5zfOTGbuXkUCVIcAzAWYuA6fItA9O6VTsX9tutbU/edit?pli=1#gid=0

We have 4 guys at 360 or over. That's ridiculous. Sydir Mitchell is not a "good" 372. Sweat could have played with less weight too, so whatever. 

Red at 240 is disturbing. They are going to have to change the name of Redcat to Redfat.

There is a Katfid joke on there somewhere.

There's no way Blackshire sees the field at that weight. He'd be in the 97th percentile of all NFL combine LBs since 1999, and nearly everyone around that weight are from pre-2012.

If Malcolm Roach can do it, so can Blackshire.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Red is going to look like Gary Coleman out there. We need to immediately stop all NIL deals with Cane's.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, pyrofiend said:

There's no way Blackshire sees the field at that weight. He'd be in the 97th percentile of all NFL combine LBs since 1999, and nearly everyone around that weight are from pre-2012.

Yeah, unless we play a triple option team next season he shouldn’t see the field at 261. 

Goosby at 313 seems like a positive development. Pretty sure he was well under 3 bills in HS, and weight and strength were his main question marks. 

Edited by UncleSonny

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2024 at 12:16 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Quinn listed 10 lbs heavier.

Savion is a bowling ball.

Kobe Black 6'2 204
Ryan Wingo 6'2 208
Christian Clark 6' 210 and Jerrick Gibson 5'10 211
Zina 6'5 255
Ty'Anthony 6'1 197 lbs
Daniel Cruz 6'3 307
Brandon Baker 6'4 297
Alex January 6'5 324

Blackshire 6'2 261
Niblack 6'4 231
Trey moore 6'3 242
Tiaoalii Savea 6'4 293

Derion Gullette 6'3 232
Broughton 6'4 307
Tausili Akana 6'4 215
Aaron Bryant 6'2 307
DJ Campbell 6'3 332
Cam Williams 6'5 360
Stroh 6'7 372
Trevor Goosby 6'7 313
Juan Davis 6'4 230
Sydir 6'6 372
Bledsoe 6'4 293

Are all the ones of note IMO

Red is 5’10’’ish right? That is way, way too heavy unless he’s Jerome Bettis. 

We all laugh about Sweat’s weight, but UW zeroed his fat ass out and the weight is going to make him drop in the draft. Don’t repeat this lesson with Mitchell. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Red is 5’10’’ish right? That is way, way too heavy unless he’s Jerome Bettis. 

We all laugh about Sweat’s weight, but UW zeroed his fat ass out and the weight is going to make him drop in the draft. Don’t repeat this lesson with Mitchell. 

That would be a real shame if Mitchell was a first team All-American.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6