Texas Football Roster 2024 -- "You never lose a game if the opponent doesn’t score" DKR

LTtxfan

Tracking Portal Destinations (Update 1/8/24)

• DB  Larry Turner-Gooden  San Jose St.
  • DB   Xavion Brice     North Texas
  • DB   BJ Allen Jr.       North Texas
  • DB   Jalen Catalon    UNLV
  • WR   Casey Cain       UNLV
  • WR   Isaiah Neyor    CORN
  • QB    Maalik Murphy    DUKE
  • OL/DL  Sawyer Goram-Welch  Coastal Carolina
  • DL      Kris Ross
  • DL      Trill Carter         AwwBrrnn
  • S        Jerrin Thompson
  • S        Kitan Crawford
  • QB      Charles Wright

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, but if Cam Williams can slim down to 210, maybe he could run a 4.4 and start at WR?  Think of how large his catch radius would be when you account for how much longer his wingspan will be after the weight loss.

Agbo is only like 280-290 right now. To lose 10-20 more lbs when he’s already lost as much as he has since enrolling isn’t out of the realm of possibility 

On 1/8/2024 at 11:12 PM, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, but if Cam Williams can slim down to 210, maybe he could run a 4.4 and start at WR?  Think of how large his catch radius would be when you account for how much longer his wingspan will be after the weight loss.

Are you Tom Herman?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/8/2024 at 1:40 PM, Tex Long said:

Only when they drop game-winning INTs.

Well, or when they become secondary coaches...

Or when their best attribute is being a coach on the field.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:09 PM, LTtxfan said:

Tracking Portal Destinations (Update 1/8/24)

• WR   Casey Cain       UNLV
  • DL      Kris Ross
  • QB      Charles Wright

• Hook 'Em 4

Tracking Portal Destinations (Update 1/14/24)

• WR   Casey Cain       UNLV
  • DL      Kris Ross
  • QB      Charles Wright    AppState

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

• DL      Kris Ross

Crawford is at Nevada this weekend and Thompson is at Florida.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Gunnar Helm is going to be a great starter next year?

No. Gunnar and Juan are gonna be awesome. Spencer Shannon is going to throw people for a loop as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Now we haz…
Sark now under a sweet new extension, with Saban retiring and all the turmoil, Texas is looking like the sweet place, hot coach, NIL, SEC TV, etc.  a lot of talent is going to be looking to land in Austin.

We Needs to not become over fascinated by new shinny rocks-portal-recruits;  the next rosters Sark builds are going to be the measure. Every slot counts here on out!  We need the right fits.  It is so much fun to be picky!

and if we pick right, we can haz.

1 minute ago, Domedriver said:

Now we haz…
Sark now under a sweet new extension, with Saban retiring and all the turmoil, Texas is looking like the sweet place, hot coach, NIL, SEC TV, etc.  a lot of talent is going to be looking to land in Austin.

We Needs to not become over fascinated by new shinny rocks-portal-recruits;  the next rosters Sark builds are going to be the measure. Every slot counts here on out!  We need the right fits.  It is so much fun to be picky!

and if we pick right, we can haz.

Someone needs to alert the coaching staff!

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Someone needs to alert the coaching staff!

We don’t want to be the Island of mis-fit toys.  I like that we are bringing back Akina an DBU!  My Horns are up and but I want us to become picky.  I want Priests, Rickys, Earls, DJs and Huffs.  Picky = Elite with the will to win.  I want VY heart transplants!  Hell I want off season to be over, can I haz spring?🤘

On 1/14/2024 at 9:15 AM, LTtxfan said:

• DL      Kris Ross

Jerrin to Auburn 

• Like 1

Based on gained experience, young guys slotting in and transfers, here is how I see the position groups comparing '23 to '24:

QB - better; Ewers should benefit from another year in the system.  Manning > Murphy as backup.

RB - same; Brooks was better than expected, but Baxter and Blue looked good when he went down.  No dropoff.

WR - same; I thought losing Worthy and Mitchell would be the biggest hit along with DL, but now with Golden and Bond I see virtually no dropoff.

OL - better; should be the strength of the team with much experience returning.

TE - worse; losing JT hurts and no one clearly able to pick up his touches.  Might be better as a run-blocking group though.

DL - worse; losing Sweat and Murphy hurts.  They were the strength of the team this year.  Hard to replace two NFL guys.

LB - worse; Ford was really good. Hard to replace.

DE - same; Sorrell was really good, but I like the guys we have to replace him.

DB - same; lots of attrition here, but also the ability to reload.  We looked to be very thin at safety until we landed Mukuba.  Barron coming back is huge.

Overall, our offense should be the same or better.  Our defense probably worse, especially at stopping the run. We will make the playoff and should do some damage.  We have a team that is good enough to give us a chance to win it all if the cards fall right.

Agree?  Disagree? I'm a dumbfuck?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Based on gained experience, young guys slotting in and transfers, here is how I see the position groups comparing '23 to '24:

QB - better; Ewers should benefit from another year in the system.  Manning > Murphy as backup.

RB - same; Brooks was better than expected, but Baxter and Blue looked good when he went down.  No dropoff.

WR - same; I thought losing Worthy and Mitchell would be the biggest hit along with DL, but now with Golden and Bond I see virtually no dropoff.

TE - worse; losing JT hurts and no one clearly able to pick up his touches.  Might be better as a run-blocking group though.

DL - worse; losing Sweat and Murphy hurts.  They were the strength of the team this year.  Hard to replace two NFL guys.

DB - same; lots of attrition here, but also the ability to reload.  We looked to be very thin at safety until we landed Mukuba.  Barron coming back is huge.

Overall, our offense should be the same or better.  Our defense probably worse, especially at stopping the run. We will make the playoff and should do some damage.  We have a team that is good enough to give us a chance to win it all if the cards fall right.

I would say DBs should be better.  Another year of experience with Williams, Brooks, Manny.  Adding Mubuka, Barron coming back and possibly adding another Muhammad.  

DE wise, isn’t Sorrell back? I didn’t think he was leaving.  

WR/TE will be interesting.  Might see more 4 WR looks (Bond, Golden, Cook, Wingo/Bolden(?)). I think Helm can be very serviceable as the starting TE.  

15 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I don't disagree with most of this, but I think DE will be much better. Sorrell is coming back and Burke will have another year under his belt. Simmons in the room  will raise the floor considerably and provide motivation to the veterans. 

I think DBs probably improve as well. Our most talented players (Williams, Brooks, Muhammad) were young this year and more experience will make a huge difference. Barron coming back is also a huge boon - I assumed he was headed to the NFL. I know he didn't close the year out strong, but he was pretty dinged up and was playing because we didn't have anyone behind him who was worth a damn. Him coming in and playing hurt against Houston probably saved that game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Strongly disagree:

QB - Cold blooded killer

RB - Deadly assassins

WR - World class pimps

OL - Merciless maulers

TE - Will steal kids’ lunch money

DL/DE - Rated “M” for mature audiences

LB - A collection of prison shanks

DB - Ninja jaywalkers

ST- Our punter never sees the field

We go 18-0 and never return our library books.

I’ll have what he’s having with whiskey 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2024 at 2:09 PM, Mother mopar said:
On 1/14/2024 at 12:13 PM, LTtxfan said:
Players moving in Today...

No Tyanothony Smith?

Bobby Burton confirmed earlier today Tyanthony Smith moved in yesterday with the rest of the early enrollees.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Agree with most, except for Edge (EDGE!) and DB.

Edge - Sorrel and Burke are back with an extra year of experience. Simmons and the UTSA transfer will offer quality depth, should we need to rotate them in.  Overall, we will be slightly worse against the run, due to losing NFL caliber DTs. However, the entire defensive line will be more evened out, instead of the strength being concentrated in the middle. This will help create more sacks on pass plays. 

DBs - Brooks, Mukuba, Barron, Muhammad, and D. Williams should be much better in coverage than what we fielded this past year. 

The defense will be worse at stopping the run, but significantly better at defending the pass. Overall, having a more well rounded unit should be an improvement.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I agree mostly but would change a few.

DE and DB will be better there’s no doubt.

portal will dictate if TE is same or worse - could be the same with what’s out there with Stanford and Bama TEs 

LB - not sure - if hill develops further in the offseason we could have a small drop off. Not sure our other guys. 

DT - no way it’s anything but a drop off, question is how much. Could be a lot could be negligible. Collins will come on strong I bet. Will the rest? Portal? 

KO/PR - tbd. Seems like sark is trying to get some burners. 

Tracking Portal Destinations (Update 1/15/24)

• DL      Kris Ross
  • DL      Trill Carter             AwwBrrnn
  • S        Jerrin Thompson   AwwBrrnn
  • QB      Charles Wright       AppState

21 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I don't disagree with most of this, but I think DE will be much better. Sorrell is coming back and Burke will have another year under his belt. Simmons in the room  will raise the floor considerably and provide motivation to the veterans. 

I think DBs probably improve as well. Our most talented players (Williams, Brooks, Muhammad) were young this year and more experience will make a huge difference. Barron coming back is also a huge boon - I assumed he was headed to the NFL. I know he didn't close the year out strong, but he was pretty dinged up and was playing because we didn't have anyone behind him who was worth a damn. Him coming in and playing hurt against Houston probably saved that game. 

I think the DBs could be the strength of the defense next year. I am going to assume a secondary of Muhammad, Brooks (could be Muhammad), Barron, Mukuba, and Williams. That is much more versatile secondary, than anything Texas has trotted out recently. Every singly player is capable of playing man.. Only negative is more will be asked of them. Probably going to see more 1 high safety looks, as the run defense takes a step back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, troph said:

I agree mostly but would change a few.

DE and DB will be better there’s no doubt.

portal will dictate if TE is same or worse - could be the same with what’s out there with Stanford and Bama TEs 

LB - not sure - if hill develops further in the offseason we could have a small drop off. Not sure our other guys. 

DT - no way it’s anything but a drop off, question is how much. Could be a lot could be negligible. Collins will come on strong I bet. Will the rest? Portal? 

KO/PR - tbd. Seems like sark is trying to get some burners. 

Don’t get me wrong- I love Ford and think he was a great, steady leader at LB but I feel like he dropped off a little from last year and didn’t make as many great plays as he did when he was a junior. I’m hoping there will be no significant drop off next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Don’t get me wrong- I love Ford and think he was a great, steady leader at LB but I feel like he dropped off a little from last year and didn’t make as many great plays as he did when he was a junior. I’m hoping there will be no significant drop off next year.

he played with a hernia this year, so it was a down year. LB may not fall at all with GBenda and Ant. Depth is a big question though. Someone like Lafau needs to take a step

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

RB: I don’t think you watched the bowl game if you think there’s no drop off from Brooks. He’s significantly better than what we have returning. 

DE: no chance it’s same. We added one of the top edges in the portal with Trey Moore and we have 5 star Collin Simmons coming in while returning everyone from last year. 

DB: DB is significantly improved. Mukuba is a huge addition that will let us play 2 safeties with speed, and Williams, Muhammad, and Brooks will all be developing. We’re also adding 2 freshman who were ranked top 50 nationally. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

DT will be much worse unless Sark nabs something in the portal. Robinson now wants out of his LOI and January was the only other take. Need to get Davis replaced and get to work.

Bobby said he expects the LOI release to be granted shortly. 

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

DT will be much worse unless Sark nabs something in the portal. Robinson now wants out of his LOI and January was the only other take. Need to get Davis replaced and get to work.

To be more specific, the 1 tech is probably the biggest question mark on the team. The 3 tech will probably take a step back, but there is talent, experience, and depth there. There is not much experience at the nose. Asking freshmen to man that spot is less than ideal. 

Edited by Codaxx