NFL Black Monday Predictions 2024 and New Coach speculatin’

Texzilla58

Case Keenum and Baker Mayfield as well and he did identify Mahomes for Tech even though as HC didn’t do as much as he could have by far with him. Also it helps if the OC has played QB before. This is a good move and clean slate move for him any positive improvement or impact on offense will be noticeable. He can still ID and develop talent. He won’t be distracted by sucking as a HC. He’s good on this role and it’s where he should stay. But he won’t if he has a couple of kickass years in Chicago. They’ve got pieces there just need some help on offense and good draft or two. They’ve got good players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He struck gold with Mahomes, but what has he done outside of that to identify and develop talent at QB?

nothing.

and it's not like Williams improved during his one year at USC. 

that said, he's probably better than whomever he'd be replacing in Chicago even if he is "failing up".

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Not the landing spot I would have expected 

A QB away from being a contender in that division.  They could have won it with Ridder/Heinecke.  8th pick overall 

Shoot, pair Bijan, London and Pitts with someone like Penix and it might work. 

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Kind of interesting seeing how people look at things and decide one guy should be fired, and another not.

For the record I do not think Tomlin should be fired.

He must make changes, coaches and players, though.

Mike Tomlin would be winning super bowls if he had the roster McCarthy has

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I think Chicago made that move to appeal to Caleb here. Caleb likes him from his brief time at USC. 

So KK might be going to Chicago to babysit Caleb -- not a recipe for success.  

Reminds me of this...

Good Luck  😋

• Haha 1

The hard truth is the NFL is trending away from defense minded head coaches in favor of younger more innovative offensive minded head coaches. You can still get and keep a great job if you’re a defense oriented HC but you’d better win  consistently and get the QB right and the right OC. The league is just trending that way. It’s not like they don’t want defense or a great DC just not a HC with that mindset. Like I said if you’re elite HC or seen that way you will still get HC job, but you’d better fucking win. As soon as the offense falters pundits and writers and so forth will be calling for your ass. 

Looks like Raiduhs are going to stick with Pierce. Either brilliance or terrible. I like the concept of HC as leader, driver, organizer. Coordinators can be the x and o guys. Raiders played better for him, had two zero penalty games. Need a qb

• Hook 'Em 2

Why the hell doesn’t he have that roster? Not enough time with the Steelers?

He’s 3-10 in his last 13 playoff games. That goes back to 2011. I believe that loss was to Tim Tebow by the way.

He won the Super Bowl in year 2. Barry Switzer won the Super Bowl in year 2. Only returned to the Super Bowl in 2010 since that win.

Since 2017, they have given up 166 points in 4 playoff games. All losses.

He has 2 double digit playoff wins with 5 double digit losses.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Had Enough said:

He’s 3-10 in his last 13 playoff games. That goes back to 2011. I believe that loss was to Tim Tebow by the way.

He won the Super Bowl in year 2. Barry Switzer won the Super Bowl in year 2. Only returned to the Super Bowl in 2010 since that win.

They have a pretty decent roster. Their defense is above average to good. Their OL needs some work and they have pretty good skill guys. As always in the NFL, QB.

39 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Looks like Raiduhs are going to stick with Pierce. Either brilliance or terrible. I like the concept of HC as leader, driver, organizer. Coordinators can be the x and o guys. Raiders played better for him, had two zero penalty games. Need a qb

Raiders are positioned well in the draft for a QB. Don’t know how many draft picks they have but I love Antonio Pierce! I think he will be a great HC. Just follow in steps of DeMeco and so forth. It’s wonderful for the league to have black HCs on higher profile teams. The Raiders because of the venue are a premiere destination—plus they want a winning team there. It’s all about the QB/OC and offensive staff. They will try and attract FA’s with hopefully a flashy/great OC hire. Defense has great pieces and can sell itself. So happy for AP! Makes you want to root for the Raiders. If Andy Reid retires at the end of this post season that division is going to be interesting. New HC for Charger, possibly new HC for Chiefs if speculation is true, Raiders with new HC and Denver will be starting over at QB like the Raiders. That will be one competitive SOB if all the HCs hit/QBs hit for the two needing them. Mahomes and Herbert make it a tough division. 

They have a pretty decent roster. Their defense is above average to good. Their OL needs some work and they have pretty good skill guys. As always in the NFL, QB.

He also hired Canada. And playoff defense giving up 42 a game won’t win much. He’s had plenty of time to get a QB and OL. All that’s on him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

That’s kind of a bad choice. I’m going with McCarthy reluctantly.

Tomlin has zero interest in offense. He hired Canada. He advocated for Pickens. He didn’t really work to find a replacement for Ben before Ben left. The Rooney hate change even more than Jerry.

What HC would you give this Dallas roster to? I’d like to see Vrabel. Or DeMeco. Or LaFleur. Aaron Glenn. Dan Campbell.

So would you take Tomlin or McCarthy with the cowboys roster 

I’m not sure it matters. Give me option C.

Tomlin has a big impact on why his roster is as it is. He’s halfway tried to get a QB, but I’m not sure Canada wasn’t the bigger issue. Dan Moore and whatever that C from Illinois that got let go were relatively high draft picks. They picked Najee when they needed help upfront. I do like their offensive skill guys, but the offense is terrible. They’ve got good defensive guys upfront but struggle to cover.

9 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Word is Harbaugh had a second interview today with the Falcons even though Bill looks like a done deal.  Kinda weird.  I think if you could get him, Harbaugh would be vastly preferable to Belichick.

odd 

On 1/19/2024 at 2:53 PM, Texzilla58 said:

This is the Dan Campbell model.  But Campbell is also a lot smarter than he comes off, you can’t just hire a rah-rah guy who doesn’t know the intricacies of the game.  He is pretty unique.

On 1/19/2024 at 4:34 PM, Had Enough said:

That’s what gets lost on the wash because people only focus on the never had a losing record rather than no playoff success.

One of Tomlin’s favorite cliches is “the standard is the standard”.

He, his coaches, the players, the front office, have all fallen way short of that standard.

The defense is not clutch. The offensive line has been garbage for a decade. Ben was able to cover up many of the issues but, he’s long gone. The staff needs major upgrades.

And when you’re always in the middle you don’t have access to more sure fire stars when drafting. You best be on point or you might be stuck in the abyss with no QB. I wouldn’t give up on Pickett yet. He needs a year free of the Canada offense.

On 1/18/2024 at 3:33 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Tomlin is not criticized enough.  One quality year in the last six years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

That shit makes no sense. Yeah, let the GM hire the other coaches and see how that shit works out.

I agree with you. Tomlin has to pick his assistants but, he has to pick better assistants.

I’m kind of surprised that Teryl Austin didn’t get more heat this year. His defense has to be much better.

And the front office has to be much better.

On 1/18/2024 at 3:32 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Kind of interesting seeing how people look at things and decide one guy should be fired, and another not.

For the record I do not think Tomlin should be fired.

He must make changes, coaches and players, though.

On 1/18/2024 at 3:33 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

This. 

Tomlin: Mason Rudolf, Kenny Pickett, Mitchell Trubisky, Old man Roethlisberger. 

McCarthy: Dakota Prescott (mostly), Andy Dalton, Garret Gilbert, Cooper Rush. 

Swap QBs and the cowboys don't make the playoffs. 

Guess who’s interviewing for Steelers OC gig: fucking Arthur Smith.
Old boys retread club continues to do its job.

Side note; listening to Todd Haley on NFL Radio is hilarious. IIRC, his backstabbing, incompetent ass got ran off his last job. But somehow, the program director thinks Todd can give us valuable insight on how to win. All he can do is tell us what it's like to suck, yet still keep getting good jobs.

The Carolina Panthers plan to hire Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dave Canales as their new head coach. 

The Panthers have offered him the job, and Canales is taking it. "It will get done,". 

Canales, 42, finished his first season as the Buccaneers' offensive coordinator in 2023. Quarterback Baker Mayfield had his best professional season in Canales' offense, setting career bests in yards (4,044), touchdowns (28) and interceptions (10).

Canales came to the Buccaneers from the Seattle Seahawks. He and new Panthers general manager Dan Morgan spent eight years together in Seattle from 2010 to 2017. 

Good luck, bro. 

On 1/24/2024 at 6:42 AM, Brothahorn said:

Old boys retread club continues to do its job.

Side note; listening to Todd Haley on NFL Radio is hilarious. IIRC, his backstabbing, incompetent ass got ran off his last job. But somehow, the program director thinks Todd can give us valuable insight on how to win. All he can do is tell us what it's like to suck, yet still keep getting good jobs.

Wasn’t Todd feuding with Big Ben?  If so maybe he ain’t so bad