2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

The Vikings are definitely wanting to trade up for a QB.  They know it'll take (at least) two 1st rounders but really don't want to trade next year's, because they know it might be a really high one. 

I'm guessing there's already a handshake agreement to deal it away.

Posted (edited)

So we traded our first this year for a second round pick this year and another second round pick in 2025? And we still need a dominant defensive lineman.

Edited by Bevo

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Did you even look at Fud’s value chart? You’re one of those “eyeball test” or “gut feel” guys, aren’t you?

Thank you! The 2025 2nd rounder will probably be a top 40 pick. T’Sweat or Braden Fiske will be available at 42 we can use the other 2nd on a WR like Corley or Leggette.

Edited by Macklemore

Minnesota was 7-10 last year with a veteran QB. If they really use our pick to draft a QB, there is a good chance they are worse next year. This is a solid deal for the Texans. We need more youth under control for 4+ years and less veterans signed to short term deals where we are having to build depth through FA every offseason.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Thank you! The 2025 2nd rounder will probably be a top 40 pick. T’Sweat or Braden Fiske will be available at 42 we can use the other 2nd on a WR like Corley or Leggette.

Why not Mitchell?  

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Minnesota was 7-10 last year with a veteran QB. If they really use our pick to draft a QB, there is a good chance they are worse next year. This is a solid deal for the Texans. We need more youth under control for 4+ years and less veterans signed to short term deals where we are having to build depth through FA every offseason.

Minnesota only had that vet QB (Cousins) for less than half the season.  He got hurt in week 8, and the team finished 3-6 without him.  Minnesota was starting to gel (back-to-back wins over SF and GB) when he got hurt, so I think they would have finished better than 7-10 had Cousins stayed healthy.  

But with that said, I think there is a substantial chance that Minnesota does not improve on 7-10 in the '24 season, so your larger point about the future 2nd round pick likely being a relatively high pick in that round is probably going to end up being correct.   

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

If they see a player dropping, they can move back up 

that wr room is full, I don’t think they move back up for a wr 

The room isn’t full if they like a guy. You typically roster 6-7, and only maybe four those guys are completely safe 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Fud said:

The room isn’t full if they like a guy. You typically roster 6-7, and only maybe four those guys are completely safe 

they have #1 and #2 that the qb loves and a lockdown TE 

I see them going wr later in the draft, moving up for a DB 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Weird trade, I would not be surprised if the Vikings are trying to make a package to move into the top 2. I am surprised Houston would do this now and not after they see who is available at 23. This is one of those drafts that could be incredibly stupid with 4-5 QBs in the top 20 picks, which means actually good players will fall. 

It's nice to stack picks, but I was hoping we would get some more foundation players this year to develop sooner rather than later. Need a young DT, DB and WR to help add depth and hopefully grow into capable starters in 2026. Moving out of round 1 means you don't get that 5th year option on the guy if he turns out to be a stud. I hope they trade back into the 1st on draft day and pickup a DB that falls to 30-32. 

2 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Too lazy to do the math but the net/net of the Deshaun/Will A/Vikings deals keeps looking better. If that fucking aggy guard can get his shit together this year it looks even better….

Green needs to get his shit together 

I’d hire away juan castillo from ucla to come help this OL

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

. I am surprised Houston would do this now and not after they see who is available at 23.

That was my original thought as well. But after reflecting, Minnesota paid a nice premium because they need the pick prior to the draft in order to put together a package to move up and take a QB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

they have #1 and #2 that the qb loves and a lockdown TE 

I see them going wr later in the draft, moving up for a DB 

And the #3s are mostly jaggy. If they view a WR at 42 as a potential difference maker, I think that’s on the table 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Fud said:

And the #3s are mostly jaggy. If they view a WR at 42 as a potential difference maker, I think that’s on the table 

Both Dell and Collins missed games last year. You hope for healthy seasons, but you can't rely on WRs playing 17 games every season. The other WRs are good at their roles, but when Collins or Dell missed a game, those JAGs became worse.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What would a package look like to move back into the first?

We’ll see. If they draft Sweat at 42, and Meco says this was our guy all along and we picked additional assets, it’s a good trade with a potential be great if the 2025 Vikings pick is top 35. 

You’re weaving some excellent fan fiction around the Texans drafting Sweat at 42. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What would a package look like to move back into the first?

42, 122, and 126 for 32. Any better 1st round pick would likely cost us some combination of our 2nds and/or 3rds.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Well, we don’t have to use as much cap signing a first round pick.  

The number is saw is it opens up $6m for this year if the picks don’t change again 

Posted (edited)

Feels like they’re trying to make room to sign a safety and still have enough to extend Nico now instead of waiting until after the season….and I doubt Sweat is on the table at 42 even if he’s there. Doesn’t seem to fit what Demeco had in SF. I’d think the second or third pick might be Jenkins (Michigan DT) or Orhorhoro (Clemson DT).

Edited by IDIOTsavant

12 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Feels like they’re trying to make room to sign a safety and still have enough to extend Nico now instead of waiting until after the season.

Maybe. Tampa Bay I think only has $3.5M in cap space to resign their franchise tagged safety. The Patriots transition tagged Kyle Dugger (no compensation to NE needed) which puts a $13.8M hit on its cap space so it is possible that they get rid of him before the July deadline if he is unhappy in New England. And I think Julian Blackmon is still available as a free agent.

Justin Simmons is still available. He's getting up there in age, but he's been a top five safety for about five years running now, and has a bunch of experience in our defense

Also I selfishly would love to add Quandre

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

Justin Simmons is still available. He's getting up there in age, but he's been a top five safety for about five years running now, and has a bunch of experience in our defense

Also I selfishly would love to add Quandre

Then maybe Connor Williams at guard.