The Four Falls of Buffalo

msucolt45

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

I think so, but they have been pumping it again recently on suggested programs, likely because it was the playoffs. 

Yep it was. Aired December 2015. But once something comes to Netflix, a whole new set of eyeballs get to see programs they normally wouldn't. A lot of sports fans never really kept up with the 30 for 30 series. And this puts this episode front and center for so many. They also had another version of wide right and another playoffs choke job they can add to their history. Buffalo of the 90s is the Vikings of the 70s, except they didn't lose all 4 in a row. 2 franchises who had some really good teams but never won the big one.

I watched it again and it was really good.

Their first and last Super Bowls were the ones they had a chance to win. The middle two they were ran off the field. Dallas played pretty poor in the 1st half of the second Buffalo Super Bowl with them 2. But Buffalo couldn't pull away and a turnover in the 3rd qtr really turned the game and they never recovered.

The Buffalo/NYG Super Bowl is still the only Super Bowl I can think of that had a game winning FG like that where it was win or lose. All of Vinateri's for NE was with the score tied so a miss wouldn't have lost the game on that kick. I was really surprised how welcoming Buffalo fans were of Norwood when they had the huge event for them after they lost the Giants Super Bowl. Not sure how welcoming fanbases would be today if that happened. Seems fans are more rabid these days

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep it was. Aired December 2015. But once something comes to Netflix, a whole new set of eyeballs get to see programs they normally wouldn't. A lot of sports fans never really kept up with the 30 for 30 series. And this puts this episode front and center for so many. They also had another version of wide right and another playoffs choke job they can add to their history. Buffalo of the 90s is the Vikings of the 70s, except they didn't lose all 4 in a row. 2 franchises who had some really good teams but never won the big one.

Their first and last Super Bowls were the ones they had a chance to win. The middle two they were ran off the field. Dallas played pretty poor in the 1st half of the second Buffalo Super Bowl with them 2. But Buffalo couldn't pull away and a turnover in the 3rd qtr really turned the game and they never recovered.

The Buffalo/NYG Super Bowl is still the only Super Bowl I can think of that had a game winning FG like that where it was win or lose. All of Vinateri's for NE was with the score tied so a miss wouldn't have lost the game on that kick. I was really surprised how welcoming Buffalo fans were of Norwood when they had the huge event for them after they lost the Giants Super Bowl. Not sure how welcoming fanbases would be today if that happened. Seems fans are more rabid these days

It was also the first time they ever made a Superbowl. I think that is also the difference.

If the Texans made it to the Superbowl next year and then lost on a last second field goal miss, I think they'd do the same thing.

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The poor Bills couldn't even keep their running back from quiting on them.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

It was also the first time they ever made a Superbowl. I think that is also the difference.
If the Texans made it to the Superbowl next year and then lost on a last second field goal miss, I think they'd do the same thing.

Pretty sure they are thinking about the 3 falls of shanahan right now.
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Deej said:

At least it wasn't an Oiler's-level choke job. 

That was among the worst of the Moon era playoff teams. The KC loss and the Denver loss were far worse. At the time of the KC loss we were the best team in the NFL…

On 2/19/2024 at 4:01 PM, Underdog said:

I really thought Buffalo was going to pull it off in SB28 and would not have been too upset had they done so.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952zt5nvqrzqz0i36x42u5

12 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The Bills collapse in 4 straight Super Bowls was terrible but getting to 4 straight is historic and remarkable.

Think I'd rather take 4 appearances in 5 years - winning 2 like KC.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The Bills collapse in 4 straight Super Bowls was terrible but getting to 4 straight is historic and remarkable.

...and Squints' dad was a reserve QB on all four of them. Also remarkable. Not to mention the fifth one for him. 

On 2/20/2024 at 8:43 PM, Ignatius said:

That was among the worst of the Moon era playoff teams. The KC loss and the Denver loss were far worse. At the time of the KC loss we were the best team in the NFL…

Brady Bunch K GIF