Wildfire 2024 Thread

atomheartbevo

15 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

That video is brutal to watch, the fire spreading eastward with the prevailing winds, and then the cold front sweeping down across the plains from the north. 

FYI, a million acres is equivalent to a ~ 1,550 square miles, or an 8 mile wide strip along I35 from Austin to Dallas, or this:

image.thumb.png.5c0c49739ad373688813b86b3d6a5b79.png

Pray for help from Mother Nature.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PTINS said:

That video is brutal to watch, the fire spreading eastward with the prevailing winds, and then the cold front sweeping down across the plains from the north. 

FYI, a million acres is equivalent to a ~ 1,550 square miles, or an 8 mile wide strip along I35 from Austin to Dallas, or this:

Yes! Pray! The thing is I’m stunned we haven’t had a worse one in all my years of life prior to the 2006 fire. I do wonder how the smokehouse creek one started. Was it human error? The thing is when you grow up in the Panhandle it’s dry and windy and you learn very early on to BE CAUTIOUS AND CAREFUL about anything that could potentially start a fire. This part of the state in particular lives and dies by the rain. And some of the years growing up it was incredibly dry. Praying for the snow and rain to help the firefighters do their best. They’ve got more planes coming in Friday and other aid so this little bit of Mother Nature is huge with the snow. 

Our Shriner’s Temple in Waco is currently working with the temple in Amarillo to work on getting some stuff organized to get up there.   Will post information as I get it.  Will be good to have a base location here and get it all to one spot up there for distribution.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Our Shriner’s Temple in Waco is currently working with the temple in Amarillo to work on getting some stuff organized to get up there.   Will post information as I get it.  Will be good to have a base location here and get it all to one spot up there for distribution.   

Thats wonderful! It helps to have a local presence for people who want to donate but don’t live in the Panhandle. That’s great! 

29 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I do wonder how the smokehouse creek one started. Was it human error? The thing is when you grow up in the Panhandle it’s dry and windy and you learn very early on to BE CAUTIOUS AND CAREFUL about anything that could potentially start a fire.

When it's that dry, with lots of fuel, and windy.....a fire is going to happen.  Could be any number of things: power lines touched in high wind, a piece of metal or segment of chain falls off a trailer on the road, kicks up sparks into the dry grass (I've literally seen that happen in real-time), ash from someone's cigarette...truly anything.  All it takes is one mistake/bad circumstance.  I mean, it could also be someone being utterly stupid and deciding to fire up a campfire or something, so don't rule out stupid. In fact, NEVER rule out stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When it's that dry, with lots of fuel, and windy.....a fire is going to happen.  Could be any number of things: power lines touched in high wind, a piece of metal or segment of chain falls off a trailer on the road, kicks up sparks into the dry grass (I've literally seen that happen in real-time), ash from someone's cigarette...truly anything.  All it takes is one mistake/bad circumstance.  I mean, it could also be someone being utterly stupid and deciding to fire up a campfire or something, so don't rule out stupid. In fact, NEVER rule out stupid.

I would start with “stupid” people.

Edited by mininghorn88
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I would not be surprised to see fire snow. 

It was actually pretty amazing watching the radar late last night and early this morning out that way.   The snow storm would drift over the burning up area and pretty immediately turn into rain on the screen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I would not be surprised to see fire snow. 

Jim Cantore would spontaneously combust.  Likely starting another wildfire.

edit:  for the non-weather nerds:

Edited by SurlyGator
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

This just makes my heart ache…

8 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

It’ll grow back, Nicole. Just need some rain and some short-term fixes. 

Yep.  Honestly, that doesn't break my heart at all.  It's open land, doing what open land does: periodically burn, so that the cycle can go on.  Hell, much of that brush you see charred won't even die.  I've seen land look like that, and within 90 days, be greener than ever before, and in 2-3 years, look better than it ever did in my memory.  There are no lost structures or property in that photo, so that's really good -- that would make my heart ache (see the pictures of the rubble of multiple burned homes -- that sucks).

That's actually nature and fire doing what they do, and it's actually pretty damned amazing and even pretty in its own way.  I've seen a lot of burned land in my day, and except when I see it destroy acres upon acres of mature trees (see Bastrop) or a good number of structures (see Oakland, Bastrop, etc.), I see it as a part of a pretty amazing natural cycle.  Next rain, there will be fresh green shoots pushing up, because the fire cleared the way.

• Hook 'Em 9

1) I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in what a meteorologist 500 miles thinks will happen. I’d stick with the TIFMAS and Forest Service folks for my prognostications.

2) The snow hasn’t been steady or heavy enough to help slow the fire progression as much as had been hoped for

3) Tomorrow when the winds and temps change will be a huge turning point. This fire started with a small spark, and no matter the ground gained today and tonight all it will take is one small remaining ember to restart this catastrophic series of events.

With the wind gusts predicted it is absolutely unpredictable. Spot fires start beyond containment lines. Fire lines advance at a rate that ground personnel are unable to keep pace with.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Grande Mart said:

He didn't start the fire

I'm not getting upgraded on my flight to London on Saturday. Eleven Polaris seats to two in one day. I can't deal with this rn.

Please respect my privacy in these trying times. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Welshy said:

I'm not getting upgraded on my flight to London on Saturday. Eleven Polaris seats to two in one day. I can't deal with this rn.

Please respect my privacy in these trying times. 

You didn't light it, but are you trying to fight it?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Honestly, that doesn't break my heart at all.  It's open land, doing what open land does: periodically burn, so that the cycle can go on.  Hell, much of that brush you see charred won't even die.  I've seen land look like that, and within 90 days, be greener than ever before, and in 2-3 years, look better than it ever did in my memory.  There are no lost structures or property in that photo, so that's really good -- that would make my heart ache (see the pictures of the rubble of multiple burned homes -- that sucks).

That's actually nature and fire doing what they do, and it's actually pretty damned amazing and even pretty in its own way.  I've seen a lot of burned land in my day, and except when I see it destroy acres upon acres of mature trees (see Bastrop) or a good number of structures (see Oakland, Bastrop, etc.), I see it as a part of a pretty amazing natural cycle.  Next rain, there will be fresh green shoots pushing up, because the fire cleared the way.

image.png.b3bb6383b7fd1520d017e1b266a7c2ca.png

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Is it a coincidence that these fires started in a place where there are abundant Allsup's burritos?  I think not.

Windy out there.  That's chemtrail territory rather than crop dusting.  

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, PTINS said:

I say we burn that instead. Maybe make it a little wider through Waco. 

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I say we burn that instead. Maybe make it a little wider through Waco. 

I'm sorry... for clarification?  You saying burn Waco or include Austin in that?  

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

I'm sorry... for clarification?  You saying burn Waco or include Austin in that?  

Just a joke. Trying to bring a little levity to a sad situation. Commenting on how shitty the sprawl along the highway is. And how shitty Waco is. Don't overthink it. 

Suggesting the burn hits Austin is not levity.  Not laughing.  No one in Texas feels comfortable with the water + rain situation.  It sucks what is happening in the panhandle... tragic.  Wouldn't wish it on anyone and those of us who live in Austin do think about this kind of stuff.

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, those yucca plants aren't dead.