People keep moving to Texas, mostly

8 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Didn’t read your links but Briargrove can’t be that much?  I’d never categorize them with the other 2. I figured someone might jump me on West U and Tanglewood. I haven’t lived in Houston in 19 years. My bad. 

I like how you said "I didn't read the links but Briargrove can't be that much" despite the fact that the links provided show that it is, indeed, that much. The median home price in Briargrove is a cool million and it's going for $375 or so dollars a square foot.

Briargrove (Harris) 2023 Facts

County Harris
Zip Code 77057
Single Family Properties 900
Average Bedrooms 3.70
Average Baths 3.29
Median Sqft. 2,900
Median Lot SqFt. 8,832
Median Year Built 1959
Median Appraised Value $1,001,524
Median Market Value $1,014,613
Neighborhood Value Range $694 - $1895 K
Median Appraised Value / Sqft. $345.35
Median Price / Sqft. $372.07

20 years ago the homes in my area were selling for 200k or so. 10 years ago they were going for 350. Now The median appraised is 550-565, but that's only becuase it incldues a huge # of origianal 1960s constructions with zero updates. All the homes that have been renovated are going for 800-1.2 million. It's almost like there's a housing crisis. Also, everything except the elementary school in our are is shit. 

Also, and I quote, "I would never categorize them with the other two." Except that's exactl what you did in your original post when you cited those 3 as examples of neighborhoods that are within 3-10 miles of good food and night life that "aren't very expensive."

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol. Tanglewood and West U and Briargrove are up there as the most expensive neighborhoods in Houston. The only place I can think of consistently more expensive is River Oaks? What in the living fuck are you talking about? Those three neighborhood have medim home prices at 1, 1.5, and 2 million dollars, per HAR.
https://www.har.com/pricetrends/briargrove-harris-realestate/2477
https://www.har.com/geomarketarea/176_west-university_southside-area

The Memorial Villages are up there too
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Jfc. I live in a pretty nondescript suburb in SoCal and we’re over 900 sq foot

Well, you live in SoCal. And if memory serves from my buddy in San Diego, getting any kind of renovation or construcution is a nightmore due to permitting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like how you said "I didn't read the links but Briargrove can't be that much" despite the fact that the links provided show that it is, indeed, that much. The median home price in Briargrove is a cool million and it's going for $375 or so dollars a square foot.

County Harris
Zip Code 77057
Single Family Properties 900
Average Bedrooms 3.70
Average Baths 3.29
Median Sqft. 2,900
Median Lot SqFt. 8,832
Median Year Built 1959
Median Appraised Value $1,001,524
Median Market Value $1,014,613
Neighborhood Value Range $694 - $1895 K
Median Appraised Value / Sqft. $345.35
Median Price / Sqft. $372.07

20 years ago the homes in my area were selling for 200k or so. 10 years ago they were going for 350. Now The median appraised is 550-565, but that's only becuase it incldues a huge # of origianal 1960s constructions with zero updates. All the homes that have been renovated are going for 800-1.2 million. It's almost like there's a housing crisis. Also, everything except the elementary school in our are is shit. 

Also, and I quote, "I would never categorize them with the other two." Except that's exactl what you did in your original post when you cited those 3 as examples of neighborhoods that are within 3-10 miles of good food and night life that "aren't very expensive."

Long post. Congrats pal. You got me. I guess. $375/SF isn’t that much. 

Just now, Smax said:
1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:
Lol. Tanglewood and West U and Briargrove are up there as the most expensive neighborhoods in Houston. The only place I can think of consistently more expensive is River Oaks? What in the living fuck are you talking about? Those three neighborhood have medim home prices at 1, 1.5, and 2 million dollars, per HAR.

I mean, Bellaire is pretty damn expensive too. Honestly, there's probably another half a dozen or so spots in the 1 to 1.5 range for median home prices, but I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of all of Houston's wealthy neighborhoods. The idea though that a neighborhood in Houston with a median home price of a million dollars is "not expensive" is not something I even know what to do with, honestly. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Some of us are poor.

The irony is that neither of us even remotely qualifies as poor. We're probably bother closer to the top 10% of the country than the 50th percentile of the country. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The irony is that neither of us even remotely qualifies as poor. We're probably bother closer to the top 10% of the country than the 50th percentile of the country. 

I'm married with two kids, one in college OOS. 

I am poor and getting poorer by the hour.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, Bellaire is pretty damn expensive too. Honestly, there's probably another half a dozen or so spots in the 1 to 1.5 range for median home prices, but I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of all of Houston's wealthy neighborhoods. The idea though that a neighborhood in Houston with a median home price of a million dollars is "not expensive" is not something I even know what to do with, honestly. 

Everywhere decent in Houston is expensive.  Garden Oaks used to be a little hidden gem you could get in relatively inexpensive.  Those days probably ended a decade ago.

I bought my house in Afton Oaks almost 20 years ago.  It was pretty reasonable back then as was Briar Grove.  Not so much now.  West U has been expensive forever.  So has Tanglewood.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Everywhere decent in Houston is expensive.  Garden Oaks used to be a little hidden gem you could get in relatively inexpensive.  Those days probably ended a decade ago.

I bought my house in Afton Oaks almost 20 years ago.  It was pretty reasonable back then as was Briar Grove.  Not so much now.  West U has been expensive forever.  So has Tanglewood.

I'm aware. I was just pointing out Rex Kramer doesn't know what he's talking about, and apparently thinks million dollar homes are cheap. Good for him, I guess. 

We bought in Timbergrove in 2017, which wasn't exactly close to rock bottom for that place. Pretty sure my home now would go for well, well over what it has been apprasied at...fuck, I'm pretty sure I gained 50-100k in value when we didn't flood in Harvey. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

16 hours ago, MrX said:

Seafood, Mexican food, and BBQ is a tough ask in Denver. Everything else can be had. 

The best sushi place I’ve found is in Littleton. 

Brewery Bar II is a good hole in the wall for Tex Mex. La Loma was good at the original location but seems to have lost a step after it moved. 

Yazoo’s is the best BBQ I’ve had in the city. 

i don't know which loc is the original but we did find the La Loma downtown back before the holidays and it immediately jumped to the front of the line as far as Mexican food here goes! the homemade tortillas were a major score (sooo good!), the tortilla soup tastes very similar to Baby As in its prime, the crispy tacos and fajitas are absolutely fantastic. it's a bit pricey but most things here are. sadly...still no texmex enchiladas to be had 😒, but the margaritas are loaded so all in all we're pretty happy to have found it! 😁

i think we tried Yazoo's a while back and once again it was OK, not great, and not what we were craving. that's where i actually asked them if they could slice my brisket instead of chop it (seriously, that's what they do here, take beautiful slices of brisket and go ginsu on it, so strange!) and the guy looked panicked and actually said 'i don't think we have a knife big enough to do that', which...wut. lol. 🙄

anyways, i've added Post Oak to our list to try... we'll keep testing 😄

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:31 AM, Slacks said:

F gasoline taxes in California.

I understand this sentiment, but I also am sympathetic to some of the problems faced in that state regarding population, pollution, and climate. They've got the highest, or nearly so gas tax in the nation, but considering some of the transportation demands in their state, natural disasters or potential ones that may impact road construction requirements (for safety) and IIRC don't they require a special blend of fuel (which may impact supply from refineries that produce it) in order to limit smog effects in the urban areas such as LA which has weird geography that can factor in air quality? California has been fighting how to figure out clean air/safe transportation/high population/cost to consumers for decades but I wouldn't say Texas ought to sit back and ignore some of the lessons that have been learned over that time period because people are affected by this in costs that are more long term than just at the pump.

Over the years as we've traveled back and forth heading to family north of Texas we've noticed how much more hazy the sky around the DFW area is than it used to be. We live south of DFW and frequently there is a brownish tint around the city one can spot from a distance. While Los Angeles is #1 for ozone pollution in the nation, the Houston/Woodlands metro area is #9 and the Dallas metro is at #18. That's not the whole story as there is more to air quality than that. While Texas has fewer earthquake issues with respect to road construction, the tolls take their toll from the pocketbook as well.

Texas has its frustrations and problems and so does California. I'm blessed in that wherever we've lived or visited, the people have been overall pretty nice to be around.

25 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

This was my recollection of BG and Afton Oaks and West U area closer to 59 from about 20 years ago, and why I mentioned them.

$375/SF isn’t that much, relatively speaking. 10 years ago, you were lucky to get into HP at $400/SF. That has skyrocketed. 

15 minutes ago, mchookem said:

that's where i actually asked them if they could slice my brisket instead of chop it (seriously, that's what they do here, take beautiful slices of brisket and go ginsu on it, so strange!) and the guy looked panicked and actually said 'i don't think we have a knife big enough to do that', which...wut. lol.

Haha! Yeah, we've lived in several places where "chopped beef" is the norm with brisket.

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea it fucking sucks and I’m tired of mfers telling me about authentic Mexican shit. Bitch I’ve lived in Monterrey and Guadalajara suck my nuts on authentic, good food is good shit good is shit. Sorry kind of airport bar tipsy and my Uber driver to LAX this morning wouldn’t shut up about the Mexican food here vs Texas. 
Also on COL and other shit has some wild claims here, not surly top 50% but 130k in little elm was boring, meh and shitty compared to 160k in LA (okay Monterrey Park) but close. Yea I’m not on the coast but close to it. Don’t listen to the morons and try it out if you can I regret nothing

$130,545 is top 20% for US household income ($71,100 media)

I’d say one needs to be at that level or higher to live comfortably in California. 

Sister lives in Santa Monica less than a mile from the beach. I’d live there in a heartbeat if I could afford it, I think most would. 

The outdoor environment and experience is incredible 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Ye man that’s Santa Monica, cross the 710 and it drops drastically. I wouldn’t go past the 605 though that’s back to Collin county area with mountains. My gf sister lives in el segundo it’s amazing as hell but I’ll visit like I visit my ppl in highland park, @Rex Kramer save me a room 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I’d say one needs to be at that level or higher to live comfortably in California. 

Sister lives in Santa Monica less than a mile from the beach. I’d live there in a heartbeat if I could afford it, I think most would. 

That’s not enough to live in Cali. Certainly not in coastal SoCal, Central Coast, or anywhere near the Bay Area. It would be a struggle in Bakersfield. It’d be a struggle in Austin, Dallas or Houston with a mortgage. 

15 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Ye man that’s Santa Monica, cross the 710 and it drops drastically. I wouldn’t go past the 605 though that’s back to Collin county area with mountains. My gf sister lives in el segundo it’s amazing as hell but I’ll visit like I visit my ppl in highland park, @Rex Kramer save me a room 

Of course dude

• Hook 'Em 2

Bakersfield should be a city for the homeless. No money should be needed for that hell hole, I can’t believe people are moving to Kaufman county but some friends just bought for 230k next to the prison. Man we used to sell a shit ton of drugs in that field. Crazy times 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

But not as mostly to austin anymore:

Once America’s Hottest Housing Market, Austin Is Running in Reverse

https://www.wsj.com/economy/housing/once-americas-hottest-housing-market-austin-is-running-in-reverse-94226027?reflink=integratedwebview_share

Well we only had so much space. Besides no king rules forever.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Most of California is a great location.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yesterday was a fun hike 20 minutes from my poor ass and you realize you don’t need all the extra shit when you’re outside all the time. My old upstairs rooms were used for fun women and buddies banging them. 2 bedrooms and and nice patio garage is perfectly fine. 

IMG_0637.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

i don't know which loc is the original but we did find the La Loma downtown back before the holidays and it immediately jumped to the front of the line as far as Mexican food here goes! the homemade tortillas were a major score (sooo good!), the tortilla soup tastes very similar to Baby As in its prime, the crispy tacos and fajitas are absolutely fantastic. it's a bit pricey but most things here are. sadly...still no texmex enchiladas to be had 😒, but the margaritas are loaded so all in all we're pretty happy to have found it! 😁

i think we tried Yazoo's a while back and once again it was OK, not great, and not what we were craving. that's where i actually asked them if they could slice my brisket instead of chop it (seriously, that's what they do here, take beautiful slices of brisket and go ginsu on it, so strange!) and the guy looked panicked and actually said 'i don't think we have a knife big enough to do that', which...wut. lol. 🙄

anyways, i've added Post Oak to our list to try... we'll keep testing 😄

La Loma was over in LoHi - close to 26th and Speer. 

And yes brisket is chopped here. It is dumb. 

4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yesterday was a fun hike 20 minutes from my poor ass and you realize you don’t need all the extra shit when you’re outside all the time. My old upstairs rooms were used for fun women and buddies banging them. 2 bedrooms and and nice patio garage is perfectly fine. 

IMG_0637.jpeg

Good for you, man. I want to move, encumbrances.

• Hook 'Em 1

This seems relevant to this thread as it popped up as a story last week. Sure, you can afford more of a home here versus California but how much you need to make to afford that home has gone up $53,000 since 2020. Honestly, if we sold our house to find something else in town, I'm not exactly sure where we could go as we wouldn't want to go to the burbs. We figure we're here in Dallas for the next 5 years until the 2nd kid graduates high school. Then we're going to look at moving on.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/dallas-texas-zillow-study-income-data-salary-needed-to-buy-home/287-dd96f4a4-481a-4f3b-8dbb-0130dacc61da

Here's how much you need to earn to comfortably afford a home in Dallas, according to new study

The data looked at the nationwide trend of home prices outpacing income gains over the last four years.

Author: Ryan Osborne

Published: 10:44 AM CDT March 11, 2024

Updated: 12:44 PM CDT March 11, 2024

DALLAS — Home buyers need to earn an income of $121,398 to comfortably afford a mortgage in North Texas, about $53,000 more than they needed in 2020, according to new data from Zillow.

The data looked at the nationwide trend of home prices outpacing income gains over the last four years. The income projections accounted for a 10% down payment and local home prices and median income levels.

The income needed to comfortably afford a home in the Dallas metro area was well above the national average of around $106,000, according to the data.

Dallas also ranked high among Texas metros; Houston and San Antonio buyers need an income of around $95,000, while Austin buyers need an income of around $149,000, according to Zillow.

Of the top five largest metros in the country, Dallas' income level ranked third behind Los Angeles ($279,250) and New York ($213,615). Chicago ($104,757) and Houston ($95,374) were ranked lower than Dallas among the country's largest metro areas.

Nationwide, the highest income level needed was in the San Jose, Calif., metro area, at $454,296. 

Zillow officials pinpointed the needed income increase to higher home prices and mortgage rates - and said the solution is more inventory.

"Housing costs have soared over the past four years as drastic hikes in home prices, mortgage rates and rent growth far outpaced wage gains," Orphe Divounguy, a senior economist at Zillow, said in a press release about the data. "Buyers are getting creative to make a purchase pencil out, and long-distance movers are targeting less expensive and less competitive metros. Mortgage rates easing down has helped some, but the key to improving affordability long term is to build more homes."

We've seen these type of numbers before. Earlier this year, WFAA's Jason Wheeler highlighted the drastic uptick in income needed to buy a home in his Right on the Money segment.

The American Enterprise Institute issued a report analyzing five million first-time homebuyer sales in 60 of the largest metro areas in the country. In 2013, median home prices for a first-time buyer cost between 2.49 and 2.85 times their median annual income. By 2022, those median home prices had soared to 3.55-3.81 times buyers' annual median income.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Come through anytime haven’t kicked with you since the usc game with Ldogg and koopa

Next time I'm out west, I'll hit you up. I was just in the bay area a couple weeks ago for work.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/16/2024 at 3:00 PM, Guadaloopy said:

I did not want to leave CA.  Ever.  But the housing situation is horribad.  Younger people really struggle to find affordable housing, which resulted in a huge explosion of multi-generational families in our neighborhood.    Noise went up.  Street parking blew up.   

My wife was about to lose her shit with the lack of peace.    In early 2021, she told me that we needed to move or she was going to go insane.   We are pretty well set financially, but there was absolutely no place in SoCal that had the peace we needed that we could afford without taking out another 30-yr mortgage.

Fuck that.  I want to retire someday.  We took advantage of the crazy real estate rush mid-COVID and bolted.  Now instead of never retiring, we brought the retirement horizon in by at least a decade by leaving CA.  

I imagine a lot of people leaving CA have done that same math.  

I’d imagine by the time my 9 year old can buy a house a decent home will be 2.2.   Yea. Good luck

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This seems relevant to this thread as it popped up as a story last week. Sure, you can afford more of a home here versus California but how much you need to make to afford that home has gone up $53,000 since 2020. Honestly, if we sold our house to find something else in town, I'm not exactly sure where we could go as we wouldn't want to go to the burbs. We figure we're here in Dallas for the next 5 years until the 2nd kid graduates high school. Then we're going to look at moving on.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/dallas-texas-zillow-study-income-data-salary-needed-to-buy-home/287-dd96f4a4-481a-4f3b-8dbb-0130dacc61da

Here's how much you need to earn to comfortably afford a home in Dallas, according to new study

The data looked at the nationwide trend of home prices outpacing income gains over the last four years.

Author: Ryan Osborne

Published: 10:44 AM CDT March 11, 2024

Updated: 12:44 PM CDT March 11, 2024

DALLAS — Home buyers need to earn an income of $121,398 to comfortably afford a mortgage in North Texas, about $53,000 more than they needed in 2020, according to new data from Zillow.

The data looked at the nationwide trend of home prices outpacing income gains over the last four years. The income projections accounted for a 10% down payment and local home prices and median income levels.

The income needed to comfortably afford a home in the Dallas metro area was well above the national average of around $106,000, according to the data.

Dallas also ranked high among Texas metros; Houston and San Antonio buyers need an income of around $95,000, while Austin buyers need an income of around $149,000, according to Zillow.

Of the top five largest metros in the country, Dallas' income level ranked third behind Los Angeles ($279,250) and New York ($213,615). Chicago ($104,757) and Houston ($95,374) were ranked lower than Dallas among the country's largest metro areas.

Nationwide, the highest income level needed was in the San Jose, Calif., metro area, at $454,296. 

Zillow officials pinpointed the needed income increase to higher home prices and mortgage rates - and said the solution is more inventory.

"Housing costs have soared over the past four years as drastic hikes in home prices, mortgage rates and rent growth far outpaced wage gains," Orphe Divounguy, a senior economist at Zillow, said in a press release about the data. "Buyers are getting creative to make a purchase pencil out, and long-distance movers are targeting less expensive and less competitive metros. Mortgage rates easing down has helped some, but the key to improving affordability long term is to build more homes."

We've seen these type of numbers before. Earlier this year, WFAA's Jason Wheeler highlighted the drastic uptick in income needed to buy a home in his Right on the Money segment.

The American Enterprise Institute issued a report analyzing five million first-time homebuyer sales in 60 of the largest metro areas in the country. In 2013, median home prices for a first-time buyer cost between 2.49 and 2.85 times their median annual income. By 2022, those median home prices had soared to 3.55-3.81 times buyers' annual median income.

San Jose is 5x Houston.

That is unsustainable (for both).

6 hours ago, Smax said:
7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah and would rather be there than a few of the others.   West U was on the upper end of budget at the time we built, but was just a bit too much to feel comfortable. Hindsight 20/20 and all that.  Womp. 

Yeah, cheaper land, better job opportunities, and less bone-chilling weather.  It's not politics, it's maths.  However, after about 5 years in this overheated bullshit climate...they'll second guess their life-choices.  Human nature. 

The one that really stands out to me is people leaving Honolulu.  I get that it must get overly-expensive over time.  But that's one you have to kinda know going in, right?  I mean, I used to put off moving because of packing up and getting a truck, but leaving Hawaii is like a 6-month ordeal costing well into tens of thousands of dollars.  I know folks here in Austin from probably 30 states and 30 countries but I've never met a relocale from Hawaii.  My wife has a good childhood friend from rural Kansas who moved to Maui decades ago to be a nurse.  She has come back all of one time for a close family member funeral.  We visited her when we were there and she basically said the line from Gringo Honeymoon, "I ain't never going back..."  But I guess migration still hits even the most wonderful of places.   

35 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The one that really stands out to me is people leaving Honolulu.  I get that it must get overly-expensive over time.  But that's one you have to kinda know going in, right?  

It’s driven mainly by natives leaving due to housing crisis and lack of job opportunities that can afford said housing crisis. 

On 3/20/2024 at 4:49 PM, Slacks said:

By the looks of it, people vote with their bank account.

That's patently untrue. Otherise this coming election wouldn't even be close becuase of the growth in wages versus lowering inflaction in the last 4 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bohemian the fuck do you accurately measure year to year population change with no census or anything? Honest question.

I think the census folks take an American Community Survey every year, which is like a light census using sampling rather than a full enumeration. I got one once and sent it in.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:30 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Texas has its frustrations and problems and so does California. I'm blessed in that wherever we've lived or visited, the people have been overall pretty nice to be around.

jsMSpb.gif

• Haha 2

On 3/22/2024 at 9:30 AM, SydneyCarton said:

That's patently untrue. Otherise this coming election wouldn't even be close becuase of the growth in wages versus lowering inflaction in the last 4 years. 

I'm taking about moving. You're taking actual politics.

But to your point, is wage growth outpacing inflation? 

You're far more intelligent and informed than most people.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:06 PM, YGIFS said:

Yeah, cheaper land, better job opportunities, and less bone-chilling weather.  It's not politics, it's maths.  However, after about 5 years in this overheated bullshit climate...they'll second guess their life-choices.  Human nature. 

The one that really stands out to me is people leaving Honolulu.  I get that it must get overly-expensive over time.  But that's one you have to kinda know going in, right?  I mean, I used to put off moving because of packing up and getting a truck, but leaving Hawaii is like a 6-month ordeal costing well into tens of thousands of dollars.  I know folks here in Austin from probably 30 states and 30 countries but I've never met a relocale from Hawaii.  My wife has a good childhood friend from rural Kansas who moved to Maui decades ago to be a nurse.  She has come back all of one time for a close family member funeral.  We visited her when we were there and she basically said the line from Gringo Honeymoon, "I ain't never going back..."  But I guess migration still hits even the most wonderful of places.   

A friend was working a gig in Hawaii for about 6 months. From what he said, if you needed things that came in cargo ships, life was expensive. But if you ate whatever was local, not so much. 

Wonder what the DoorDash fee for Taco Bell to Oahu is.