2024 MLB Season Thread - Catch All

tx 3 putt

$15M this season, $17M paid in '26. 

And this. 

Jackson Chourio is set to make history. 

Chourio will be the youngest Milwaukee Brewers player since Robin Yount to make his MLB debut on opening day. The 20-year-old outfielder and second-ranked prospect in all of baseball will make the Brewers opening day roster, sources told the Journal Sentinel.

If Chourio starts in center field on March 28 against the New York Mets at Citi Field, he will be the third-youngest player to start at the position on opening day since 1900.

It is a move that many anticipated when Chourio signed an eight-year, $82 million extension, the most ever for a player yet to appear in the majors, in December, yet it was far from a sure thing entering spring training with a crowded outfield picture in Milwaukee. 

• Hook 'Em 2

𝗖𝗟𝗢𝗪𝗡 𝗢𝗙 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗪𝗘𝗘𝗞 🤡

Edition 6, 2024 - Blake Snell

𝗗𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿: Reportedly seeking a long-term deal worth $270-$300M.

𝗝𝗮𝗻𝘂𝗮𝗿𝘆: Reportedly turned down a 6-YR offer from the Yankees, valued at $168M.

𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗰𝗵: Signed a 2-YR/$62 deal with the Giants.

𝗖𝗟𝗢𝗪𝗡 𝗢𝗙 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗪𝗘𝗘𝗞

I’ll be a clown for 30Ms

giphy.gif
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

He's betting on himself.

to do what? He pitches 5 innings and that is who he is.  There isn't much he can improve on from last season.  If he can't pull a massive deal after that when there were plenty of teams needing SP,  then he probably isn't going to

If he is making 28M/yr  5-6 years from now I will be shocked.  But what the fuck do i know

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Scraps said:

to do what? He pitches 5 innings and that is who he is.  There isn't much he can improve on from last season.  If he can't pull a massive deal after that when there were plenty of teams needing SP,  then he probably isn't going to

If he is making 28M/yr  5-6 years from now I will be shocked.  But what the fuck do i know

surly needs a sarcasm font.

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

𝗖𝗟𝗢𝗪𝗡 𝗢𝗙 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗪𝗘𝗘𝗞 🤡

Walking away from $100M+ guaranteed is the level of "fuck the Yankees" I aspire to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

54 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Walking away from $100M+ guaranteed is the level of "fuck the Yankees" I aspire to.

Recording more than 5 career outs after the 6th inning is the level of actually being a good pitcher I aspire to.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the MLB luxury tax doesn't appear to be all that damaging for 1 year.  I think a creative GM would be smart to bump up some contracts one year and get a large amount of future guaranteed money out of the way, then drop them down the next year to lose the repeater penalty.  You could see-saw your tax allocations every 1-3 years to reduce the penalty of signing a guy that helps you "win now."  

I made this chart to help map out the costs, please nitpick if I got something wrong. The last line is set as an example of a team paying 317m in salary, or 20m into that range to keep it a consistent comparison of tax brackets. 

The Astros are at 253m committed for 2024, which means they only take a hit of 20% on the amount over 237m, which is just under 4m in cost. Not a terrible penalty, and if they were to add another 24m in cost up to the 277m threshold the total tax paid for 2024 would be 10.4m. That's a 3.75% tax charge on the overall payroll for the year. It's really not as bad as it's made out to be, although the year 3 rates jump significantly and cna hurt quite a bit. It's not my money, but I can't believe how much MLB teams try to avoid this minor tax for 1-2 to years of challenging for a ring. 

image.png.edcb3a2e88eebd39a75cc9bbef5af9a3.png

Edited by Dutchrudder

SD's CF in the morning. 

The big question mark facing Merrill in his move to the Majors is on the defensive side.

Entering 2024, he had made 178 of his 186 career Minor League starts at shortstop, and while he was considered fairly big for the position, he had shown enough improved arm strength and quickness to hold down the role. But with Bogaerts signed long-term and Ha-Seong Kim looking like a potential defensive wizard on the dirt, it became clear that as Merrill’s bat looked MLB-ready he’d likely have to move out of the middle infield to find a place in San Diego.

Though he’s just an average runner, Merrill should have enough speed to cover some ground in center. The presence of Platinum Glove winner Tatis in right should ease his need to chase down balls in the gap to his left, and Tatis’ presence likely played a role in the club’s decision to push Merrill into center. That said, Merrill had zero games of center-field experience in the Minors – his only outfield time came in left – and his jumps and routes will likely take even more repetitions to improve. For his part, Merrill has talked this spring about preferring center to the corners because he found immediate comfort with his reads on balls coming straight-on rather than those that are sidespun and headed toward the foul lines.

https://www.mlb.com/news/what-to-expect-from-jackson-merrill-in-mlb

In Elly De La Cruz’s first 30 big-league games, he hit .325/.363/.524 with four homers, and 16 steals.

In Elly De La Cruz’s next 53 big-league games, he hit .181/.259/.343, hit seven home runs and stole 10 bases (but was caught five times) and struck out a pretty astonishing 87 times. That projects out to 265 strikeouts over a full season, something even Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn couldn’t approach.

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Uhh yeah I’ll go ahead and take the under on that. He’s not a rookie seeing major league pitching for the first time anymore. 

On the flip side, he’s not a rookie that the pitchers and advance scouts haven’t seen in the majors before.