2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

7 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Well first off I was responding to another post that was referencing 2022 not portions of 2023. It was within the context of referencing why QEs sack rate was lower in 2022 than 2023.

Here’s something else to ponder. Why in the fuck is it that Worthy’s tracking skills were an issue in only 1 of the 3 seasons and 1 of 3 QBs? And that 1 QB it wasn’t even all the time. I’d even wager that you’ll never see a better ball tracking example than Worthy on that Bama TD. He ran a long way, the ball traveled a long way, and caught it damn near with his turned from the point at which it originated. Another example was this year, maybe Rice, when the ball traveled 80 yards in the air, and he caught it a yard out of bounds (not his fault it was oob).

In a subsequent post, I even referenced other players being surprised or caught guard off at the arrival of a pass. In that season of 22, not 23. One hit Roschon in the damn head.

Yes, that’s all part of timing/route running. I’ve referenced it previously that QE is often anticipatory thrower. It looks great when it works but less so when not. As an inexperienced dude, he was a little anxious but that improved in 23 and will likely in 24. Probably anxious to avoid hits. A little too excited at times perhaps.

I gave numbers to support the theory. A theory as to why his sack per pressure was high relative to his peers in 23 but was far less so in 22. I made no declaration as to his overall abilities.

Sorry, I don’t know if you’re Joel Klatt, Joe Montana, Todd Dodge and Bobby Burton rolled into one. I’m glad he throws the most catchable ball you’ve seen but not sure how that’s supposed to wow me. But there are numbers to say that his ball in actuality to date , at this level, is around 65-70% catchable. The catchable rate in 22 was probably not as high as in 23.

I look forward to your next bolded post. Perhaps throw in some italics, underlines so I can tell if you really mean it.

I am not sure that is the case on Worthy. I am not sure you have the numbers, but it would be interesting to see deep shot percentage among the Texas WRs. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure that is the case on Worthy. I am not sure you have the numbers, but it would be interesting to see deep shot percentage among the Texas WRs. 

The cause on Worthy is he's just not a contested catch receiver on deep throws....where as just running under a throw is a lot easier to track and position. It also seemed like in 2022 his effort was ass as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NoName said:

you aren't the target audience lol but i had to click on it thinking the same

image.png.e21314ae1877bfe1a730b16d9d5898b2.png

What are those things on the front of the longhorn logo? They look like a pair of saggy tits. I must be getting old.

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Cactus Jack. You really swung for the fences on that one. Farting in bathtubs and laughing your ass off.

Nothing is funnier to a 12-year-old mind than fart bubbles.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’d even wager that you’ll never see a better ball tracking example than Worthy on that Bama TD.

We saw about a half dozen better examples just last year from his teammate Mitchell 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Let's be serious.

Edited by mwaadeeb

Worthy caught 26% of deep balls in 2023. 21% in 2022. 33% in 2021. Really that’s just a broke hand missed ball or two from 2022. Average depth of target probably mid 30s.

Mitchell was 36% in 2023.

JT was 60% in 2022 and 27% in 2023. 21 combined targets at an average depth of target in the mid 20s.

JW caught 7 of 9 over the two years. Average depth of target mid 20s.

QE deep completion % was 34% in 2023 and 30% in 2022.

HC was 36% in 2022 and 23% in 2021.

CT was 33% in 2021.

That’s all over the board. But the original question was surrounding the sack rate. QE not only got rid of it quicker in 2022 he threw it 25% deeper. At one time I set some parameters of all QBs for the 2022 season and it was top 5%in getting rid of the ball but also top 5% in deepest average depth of target.

That 2022 note is the anomaly, which coincides with the season in which Worthy effort and tracking are in question but weren’t on Cards plays. Throwing and catching are timing. If you throw at 5 yards when you’ve worked all season at 10 yards, then you will have more awkward looking plays. And probably some that the receiver either never sees the ball or sees it way too late. There were a number of these with other pass catchers too. Worthy plays hard. It makes no sense for him to not attack at the ball on certain plays. This is an alternate consideration.

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Worthy caught 26% of deep balls in 2023. 21% in 2022. 33% in 2021. Really that’s just a broke hand missed ball or two from 2022. Average depth of target probably mid 30s.

Mitchell was 36% in 2023.

JT was 60% in 2022 and 27% in 2023. 21 combined targets at an average depth of target in the mid 20s.

JW caught 7 of 9 over the two years. Average depth of target mid 20s.

QE deep completion % was 34% in 2023 and 30% in 2022.

HC was 36% in 2022 and 23% in 2021.

CT was 33% in 2021.

That’s all over the board. But the original question was surrounding the sack rate. QE not only got rid of it quicker in 2022 he threw it 25% deeper. At one time I set some parameters of all QBs for the 2022 season and it was top 5%in getting rid of the ball but also top 5% in deepest average depth of target.

That 2022 note is the anomaly, which coincides with the season in which Worthy effort and tracking are in question but weren’t on Cards plays. Throwing and catching are timing. If you throw at 5 yards when you’ve worked all season at 10 yards, then you will have more awkward looking plays. And probably some that the receiver either never sees the ball or sees it way too late. There were a number of these with other pass catchers too. Worthy plays hard. It makes no sense for him to not attack at the ball on certain plays. This is an alternate consideration.

The completion % on deep plays was 36% and 23% for Card vs 34% and 30% for Ewers, I am not sure how you look at those numbers and think Card was better on deep balls. You are hanging your hat on 6% difference in 1 year, which is likely 1 or 2 completions. Its basically the difference between Worthy making 1 of the 2 drops vs Washington in the bowl game or Worthy not making the TD catch vs WV that went off the hands of a defender. I think you are reading a little too much into these numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The completion % on deep plays was 36% and 23% for Card vs 34% and 30% for Ewers, I am not sure how you look at those numbers and think Card was better on deep balls. You are hanging your hat on 6% difference in 1 year, which is likely 1 or 2 completions. Its basically the difference between Worthy making 1 of the 2 drops vs Washington in the bowl game or Worthy not making the TD catch vs WV that went off the hands of a defender. I think you are reading a little too much into these numbers. 

Paralysis by analysis....watch the damn game.

• Hook 'Em 1

We saw about a half dozen better examples just last year from his teammate Mitchell 

Bullshit. since BO&W threw out Mitchell in Bama, let’s compare that one.

Mitchell ran about 40 yards. Straight downfield for the most part without having to navigate any defender for at least 20 yards.

Worthy ran probably at least 65 yards, up and slightly across field with the expectation to be led away from the defender not back into him.

The ball traveled similar distances but probably further for Worthy’s throw by a bit.

In these two alone, Worthy had to adjust his route more, his head/body more, had to deal with the defender more, likely had to maintain his speed more. The longer the route the more difficult to track the ball. 65 yards is not normal made more complicated with each body shift.

I never said Card was better at deep balls. There were never complaints about Worthy’s tracking abilities on Cards throws. That’s what I was inferring.

There were only complaints about Worthy tracking in 1 of 3 years. And in that year, only complaints when 1 of the 2 QBs was playing.

Just odd that Worthy sucked at that component of his game for an isolated period of time.

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Mitchell ran about 40 yards. Straight downfield for the most part without having to navigate any defender for at least 20 yards.

Worthy ran probably at least 65 yards, up and slightly across field with the expectation to be led away from the defender not back into him.

The ball traveled similar distances but probably further for Worthy’s throw by a bit.

In these two alone, Worthy had to adjust his route more, his head/body more, had to deal with the defender more, likely had to maintain his speed more. The longer the route the more difficult to track the ball. 65 yards is not normal made more complicated with each body shift.

Watching both of those catches the MItchell catch required more adjustment to the ball in air....worth just had to run straight and dive....

You can over analyze all you want with dumb shit yardage ran but at the point of catch Mitchell's was more difficult. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Fud said:

This is being made out to be the toughest ball tracking adjustment of all time

Alrighty then.. 

Exactly compare that to this:

Mitchell's route here is why he's so open and the throw is away from the safety but hey xavier ran far!

Same game over Koolaid

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Pull up the half dozen from Mitchell better. You made that initial claim. Then another claimed Mitchell’s from that same game was better.

I never said the best of all time but it was a great catch. Mitchell’s versus TCU was great one too. I’d say that Mitchell one was more difficult than his Bama one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching both of those catches the MItchell catch required more adjustment to the ball in air....worth just had to run straight and dive....

You can over analyze all you want with dumb shit yardage ran but at the point of catch Mitchell's was more difficult. 

Here’s a bit of background on my philosophy.

Had a former Big 12 skill guy work with some kids. He works with others maybe even some 4/5 star skill kids but didn’t ask specifically.

He can throw the ball. So he threw it probably 65 yards. Kids couldn’t catch shit. 40 yards easier. He said others he worked with weren’t any good either. Can’t track it at 65 but much easier at 40.

The more they run, the more the ball travels the more fatigue sets in and eye discipline fades. I’m also guessing none of these other kids have throwers that can replicate it. And it’s really not something an offense relies on. So the reps aren’t there.

I’d say the same here. The Worthy catch has some similarities. Not just can anyone can make that throw. But they don’t rep it out that manner in practice. A bit like that other reference I made to the throw that traveled about 80 yards but went out of bounds. You’d be hard pressed to find 10 guys to throw it that far. It’s hard to replicate reps for that. And not an efficient use of time anyway.

But I’ll bow out of commenting further on this one. You can have the board.

Just now, Had Enough said:

Here’s a bit of background on my philosophy.

Had a former Big 12 skill guy work with some kids. He works with others maybe even some 4/5 star skill kids but didn’t ask specifically.

He can throw the ball. So he threw it probably 65 yards. Kids couldn’t catch shit. 40 yards easier. He said others he worked with weren’t any good either. Can’t track it at 65 but much easier at 40.

The more they run, the more the ball travels the more fatigue sets in and eye discipline fades. I’m also guessing none of these other kids have throwers that can replicate it. And it’s really not something an offense relies on. So the reps aren’t there.

I’d say the same here. The Worthy catch has some similarities. Not just can anyone can make that throw. But they don’t rep it out that manner in practice. A bit like that other reference I made to the throw that traveled about 80 yards but went out of bounds. You’d be hard pressed to find 10 guys to throw it that far. It’s hard to replicate reps for that. And not an efficient use of time anyway.

But I’ll bow out of commenting further on this one. You can have the board.

That would be best....your overanalyzing and number crunching has clouded your brain. Take a break for the weekend and come back Monday, champ.

13 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

What did I miss? Besides the fact that I don’t know who Travis Scott is

He did a concert in Houston that had poor security / crowd management and people got crushed. 

Event staff and Scott personally have been criticized for how it was handled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroworld_Festival_crowd_crush

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I interrupt today's shitprogramming to bring you an OT post: 

Evaluating the Midway Point of Spring Football | Friday (CJ Vogel - OTF)

Spoiler

Evaluating the Midway Point of Spring Football | Friday

CJ Vogel

By CJ Vogel

• 3 hours ago

A quick look at which position groups are making noise so far this spring and where the improvement over the back half of practices can be made.

Quarterback

It has been a clean spring for Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning through seven practice sessions. There is much more confidence on the side of Quinn Ewers and the ball is getting out much quicker where as in previous years we would have seen indecision. Manning is coming along nicely as well in his development. I have also heard positive remarks about Trey Owens early on.

Running Back

The question now at the position is who takes hold of RB3 spot. It will be CJ Baxter as your No. 1 lead back this fall, with Jaydon Blue behind him. Blue has become a much more physical runner inside the tackles this spring. Will it be Savion Red or Tre Wisner as RB3? Maybe a freshman? That's my big question mark for this spot for the backhalf of the spring.

Wide Receiver

One of the most exciting positions coming into the spring has yet to disappoint. We know about Isaiah Bond and the talent he brings, but the emergence of Ryan Wingo and Matthew Golden has made things interesting for the 2024 outlook at receiver. I would like to hear more about Johntay Cook, as I still expect him to be a big time contributor in 2024. DeAndre Moore and Silas Bolden will provide an interesting battle in fall camp. Texas should feel comfortable about 4-5 wide receivers at the moment.

Tight End

It is still Gunnar Helm's job and he has taken strides in the passing game. There remains an element of physicality needed in the trenches, but I have been told Helm is taking the steps there. Amari Niblack is getting more and more run with the first unit as well in two tight end looks. Niblack is thrown to solely by Ewers in practice during routes on air I am told. Jordan Washington is giving some older TE's a run for their money early. Interestingly enough, it would not surprise me to see some Juan Davis this fall.

Offensive Line

The offensive line unit had its best week of practice beginning on Friday when the team got together for some live run periods. For the most part, this group is set in stone. The lone question mark clearly at left guard with the battle of Neto Umeozulu and Hayden Conner continuing to ravage. Conner was back with the first unit this week, though I will be most certainly tuned into who is the first guard on Saturday during the scrimmage. All in all, so much depth here. Freshmen Brandon Baker and Daniel Cruz have acclimated nicely as well. I have heard great returns about Trevor Goosby and Jaydon Chatman thus far.

Defensive Line

Texas will most likely go portaling when the window opens in ten days at the interior defensive line spot. Here are the bright spots – Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton are creating pressure in the pass game. That was expected. Tia Savea is your most consistent piece in the run game at the moment. He anchors better than anyone else, mostly because of his stature and strength than pure size. The question of Sydir Mitchell remains as he fights back from a minor health bug early in camp. 

EDGE

Perhaps the position group I was most excited about coming into camp. This group has plenty of size, speed and talent at the moment, the task for PK in the second half of spring will be finding the rotation – or at least getting an understanding of what it might be in the fall. Trey Moore has exceeded expectations behind the scenes. Colton Vasek and Colin Simmons are pushing Ethan Burke and Barryn Sorrell this spring who have each had solid starts to the spring as well.

Linebacker

A quiet question mark on this team is the linebacker group and whether or not their strengths collectively match what Texas will be looking for in the SEC. It is Anthony Hill Jr. and David Gbenda in the middle now. Hill mentioned Thursday he would be open to receiving the helmet communication in the fall as well. Liona Lefau and Mo Blackwell have each reshaped their bodies this spring as well. Can Kendrick Blackshire contribute consistently? I have heard he's done well in the run game.

Nickel

This is Jahdae Barron's spot and will be in the spring. However, it is encouraging what Jaylon Guilbeau has done thus far. Guilbeau has run sparingly with the first unit as a result of Barron returning to 100%. Austin Jordan remains at the position as well. Freshman Wardell Mack is the candidate amongst the group to remain at nickel from this freshman class.

Cornerback

Malik Muhammad was a bit dinged up earlier in camp, but has since returned to the starting rotation. That absence allowed for Gavin Holmes to get some run with the 1's and some more one-on-one opportunities against Texas' best in practice on a day to day. This group is physical, they are quick and they fight against the ball. A recurring theme I have heard about this unit is the consistency they have when it comes to making plays on the football. There is an urgency to knock passes down and fight through the hands more so than a year ago.

Safety

Perhaps the position group that looks the most different from a year ago. Adding Andrew Mukuba has helped this group from an optics perspective. Derek Williams, Michael Taaffe and Jelani McDonald round out a strong four-man rotation. McDonald might be the biggest riser of the bunch this spring. Jordon Johnson-Rubell and Xavier Filsaime have had their moments as well. Overall, a much improved group from an athleticism standpoint from a year ago.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

are you arguing that worthy is better with the deep balls than adonai?  or arguing that worthy is in any way a better receiver?  surely not.  I assume you watched the games. 

48 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

This thread is so awesome right now. 

it’s April

Edited by futureman

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Interestingly enough, it would not surprise me to see some Juan Davis this fall.

an iteration of this has been posted by insiders for the last three years.  if he can dominate the spring game he can become jeremy hills. 

4 hours ago, futureman said:

an iteration of this has been posted by insiders for the last three years.  if he can dominate the spring game he can become jeremy hills. 

Dude has some amazing hands. I wonder why he's not used more in the passing game. 

So, uh, to get back on topic, who's standing out so far after 8 practices. Let's hope these recruits see some bad ass work from the WR's and the DB'S + safeties show major improvement. The team has to show out well, especially considering we have the top 4 WR's in attendance, as well as the top 3-4 DB'S. 

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

No one with Helm and Sanders, but they could have some packages for him. He's a great blocker, too. 

Got Helm and Niblack this year.  

By now he has to know he's not going pro is he stays at Texas, so if he likes playing football he should transfer somewhere smaller and get some game film. 

Hopefully, he played school and can graduate in May. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, DixonHur said:

Got Helm and Niblack this year.  

By now he has to know he's not going pro is he stays at Texas, so if he likes playing football he should transfer somewhere smaller and get some game film. 

Hopefully, he played school and can graduate in May. 

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Gerry and Bobby mentioned he's been a great teammate and a positive presence in the locker room. I would just like to see a few packages for him during the season, even if it's against some lower level team like UTSA, ULM, Colorado State. 

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Mitchell's route here is why he's so open and the throw is away from the safety but hey xavier ran far!

You see the way Ewers launches the ball RIGHT after AD makes that amazing double move to kill the CB?

It's... it's... uhhh

... UHHHHHHHHHHHHH

oops

i just had a Sarkgasm

We are most definitely in the realm of if the team executes they should not drop a single game except against top ranked opponents who are evenly matched. Georgia next season comes to mind. 
it’s really wild how this thread is so much different than years past. The jokes about surly not knowing how to act are so true. Everyone here knows better than to sunshine pump too hard but damn is it hard to talk much shit about this roster right now. 

I have a certain rhythm to my sunshine pumping that I have honed in on over the years. Right now is the ‘we’re gonna be so good but there are other good teams on the schedule so let’s nitpick our weaknesses and assume something will soil the party next year.” But after a summer of nothing and fall camp, I will be frothing with a mouthful of “ we’re going to be un-fucking-beatable and here are 100 reasons why!” Followed by utter disillusionment should we do the unthinkable and lose a game. That will kick off a full grieving cycle where some parts will play out on the board and some in my real life.

That is life and the good stuff is in the journey.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/4/2024 at 7:45 AM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

True or false - Your source fucked up the Bob Armstrong dip by spilling a margarita all over it at one of the first face to face meetings of the guys that started pancake factory.  

I think it was the second face to face meeting