Texas Basketball 2024-25

Posted (edited)

Hunter is fine as long as he's not the primary ball handler.  Abmas just couldn't consistently get by anyone and was a surprisingly poor distributor.  That plus his many defenses lapses made him him a relatively poor pairing alongside Hunter.  While not PGs both Johnson III and Scott will have some ball handling responsibilities akin to that of Jabari Rice.  What we need is a high quality ball distributor to add to the backcourt and a high quality interior scorer to pair with them.  If we can get any quality contribution out of Chris Johnson and Devon Prior next year to go along with Weaver and the freshmen gone are the days of having midgets fielding our back court and wings.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hunter needs a reboot --  it's not good for Hunter or Texas for him to return.

Big year for RT -- up to him to rework this roster to compete in the SEC.  

Gerry discusses next season roster building in this video too.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The sec isn’t as tough as the big 12 not in basketball anyways. We need to rework the roster no matter what conference we played in if we want to ever have a shot to make a run.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

AAS said they asked each player with eligibility left if they are coming back

Weaver: said he is coming back

Chris Johnson: said he is coming back

Devon Pryor: said he is coming back

Shedrick: said he is coming back

Onyema: Did not comment

Mitchell: wasn’t available for comment but said previously he will likely “undergo the NBA evaluation process”

Hunter: Same as Mitchell

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Mitchell: wasn’t available for comment but said previously he will likely “undergo the NBA evaluation process”

Hunter for the nba? Hahaha. Good luck with that and after you run through the process portal please. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Need a true og next year.  We will be much bigger in the backcourt with Johnson and Scott

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

He says he's not drunk, but he sounds drunk.

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

The sec isn’t as tough as the big 12 not in basketball anyways. We need to rework the roster no matter what conference we played in if we want to ever have a shot to make a run.

Missing 20 in a row from 3 is not SEC-SEC

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I disagree with Gerry on Hunter and feel he's being a little too emotional in his analysis. RT needs to keep Hunter and maintain some aspect of the culture he's built here and add some savvy amd composure to the backcourt to team up with Hunter and Tre. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I disagree with Gerry on Hunter and feel he's being a little too emotional in his analysis. RT needs to keep Hunter and maintain some aspect of the culture he's built here and add some savvy amd composure to the backcourt to team up with Hunter and Tre. 

Is Hunter looking to be a secondary piece if he returns to college for a 4th season? Should we be having to add all this support to help prop up a guy who has started over 100 college games?

I understood last year wanting him back, especially after Johnson bolted to Australia, but it would be coaching malpractice to count on him or promise him any significant role next year.

• Like 2

Hunter was BAD last night.  Really really bad.  Yeah he got some buckets at the end but we never would have needed that if he hadn't put us behind the 8-ball over and over and over again.  You can't have 5+ turnovers including 3 on inbounds, especially as a mature player.  At his very best he is streaky AF, at his worst he's a team killer.  Love his energy, hate the streakiness and low IQ play.  If he wants to come back as a bench player and demonstrate that energy and higher IQ, great.  If not, good luck in Europe.

• Like 3

Hey Dillon, I don’t think the NBA is looking for guys you forgot are on the court the majority of the time they play

17 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

I think I heard Monday is the day the transfer portal opens.  Heard previous Texas target, Andrej Stojakovic (Peja’s son), is transferring from Stanford with Texas being mentioned as a target.  

The portal opened a week ago. 

21 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

I think I heard Monday is the day the transfer portal opens.  Heard previous Texas target, Andrej Stojakovic (Peja’s son), is transferring from Stanford with Texas being mentioned as a target.  

We were a finalist for him originally. Would be a good get. Does his dad have any remaining eligibility?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hunter is fine as long as he's not the primary ball handler. 

No he isn't fine he's a fucking disaster and needs to be reverse-NILed off the team. Here's a check for 200 grand go play for UTSA next season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Did they ask Terry if he is coming back?

• Haha 2

Hunter is a good defender and good when he can get a head of steam going to the basket. His shooting is average and his handles/creating bad for a PG. 

If he could bump his 3pt shooting just a few %, he'd be a good 3 and D type of 2-guard. We definitely need a true PG though and multiple guys who can create things on offense since Abmas and Disu are gone.

tl:dr he can be a good role player but shouldn't be asked to run an offense

I guess I’m in the minority regarding Hunter. I like him a lot. He is so close to being a tremendous player. I mean sometimes he literally looks like an All-American. And then he makes a boneheaded turnover at the worst time. But then he will take it to the rack when the rest of our team is too passive. And he was playing really great defense by the end of the year. If he can just cut out the turnovers, he can be an All SEC player IMO. I want to see the redemption story.

I have come around on Shedrick. I want to see him back too. He played hard and has some low post skills. He is a good 15-20 min off the bench contributor. And I don’t trust that we can replace him well in the portal.

Obviously I want to see Weaver back and continue his progression into Russell Westbrook 2.0.

While Mitchell didn’t progress as much as we all wanted, he did improve. KenPom says one of his closest stat comps is Larry Nance. I can see it. Nance played 4 years at Wyoming before being drafted by the Lakers and looked similar to Mitchell as a Sophomore. He made a big jump as Junior. Maybe Mitchell will too. I hope he comes back.

I think we can do better than Onyema, sorry to say. He is out of his league here. Best for him to move on. We need someone either more skilled or more aggressive. Or ideally both.

Glad to see Chris Johnson is likely to be back. With more reps, maybe he will be good. He just looked out of control to me.

The main portal adds I would like to see are a physically dominant big and a high scoring wing. An elite distributor at point guard would also be nice for a change.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

As much as I want to see Hunter portal I think RT loves him and will believe players improve year to year and will want him back. If he comes back I hope he does improve and gets more consistent. Talent is there but the consistent effort and play making decisions is not. Older players thrive in college so another year will help him. 

Really hoping RT learns that you can have skilled and athletic players taller than 6'3. I'm indifferent to Hunter leaving or not but we already have to portal in an entire frontcourt minus Shedrick's minutes. Would welcome Mitchell leaving, he's not gonna learn how to dribble/pass/shoot over the offseason. The bozos at 247 put Arturo Dean as a potential guy for us because what we need after seeing our guards unable to get past longer/athletic defenders is a 5'9 "defensive-minded" PG that can't shoot.

Dillon Mitchell

image.thumb.png.96fac8f855d8b4b621f6025c9b06f5f3.png

Larry Nance Jr.

image.thumb.png.7b7811987107d3da79730be80f3f24d5.png

Nance had a better shooting stroke as a SO than Mitchell, but Mitchell has been better in most other categories.  Better FG%, better rebounder, fewer fouls, fewer turnovers, against much better competition.

Mitchell has already improved from 40% FT to 60% FT in the last year - and he was up to 69% in conference.  With another full year in the gym, I can see him getting his free throws up over 75% this year.  And honestly I don't want him settling for long range shots. He has the ability to get to the rim. 

I can't imagine wanting to move on from this kid.  All the physical tools are there for him to be a great college player. He is a really good rebounder and is a very willing defender. He pretty well shut down Dalton Knecht (the SEC POY) last night and did it without fouling.  He also seems to have a good attitude and is willing to do the dirty work, without getting a huge amount of shots. That is rare for a player with his HS recruiting pedigree. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, HookEm said:

If he can just cut out the turnovers, he can be an All SEC player IMO. I want to see the redemption story.be nice for a change.

I'm skeptical that a 4th-year starter will suddenly become a more disciplined player.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

106 career starts. Second straight NCAA tournament where he traveled on an inbounds pass.

He is who he is. There is no reason to believe next year is going to be different. The sample size is extremely large at this point. The outlier is when he has a good game, not a bad one. Texas needs to move on. I know it's hard to let go of a guy when you've seen the upside and potential when things are clicking, but we can and should do better. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Teryor said:

Really hoping RT learns that you can have skilled and athletic players taller than 6'3. I'm indifferent to Hunter leaving or not but we already have to portal in an entire frontcourt minus Shedrick's minutes. Would welcome Mitchell leaving, he's not gonna learn how to dribble/pass/shoot over the offseason. The bozos at 247 put Arturo Dean as a potential guy for us because what we need after seeing our guards unable to get past longer/athletic defenders is a 5'9 "defensive-minded" PG that can't shoot.

So that’s the good thing. Next years freshmen and Pryor are all pretty long.   Issue is we need a pg, short or long.  

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 4:05 AM, shadow_operative said:

first bit of news is in:

This is a great start. Team's can never have too much experienced front court depth. If Shedrick is the floor over someone like Onyema, that's already a huge improvement.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So that’s the good thing. Next years freshmen and Pryor are all pretty long.   Issue is we need a pg, short or long.  

Agreed. We need an actual PG who is a threat to score; not a score-first PG who cannot visualize the floor. We missed so many transition opportunities this year because we didn't have a true floor general.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

I will assume Onyema, Hunter and Mitchell won't be back. That leaves us with:

G Tre Johnson

G Chendall Weaver

G Cam Scott

G Chris Johnson

F Nic Codie

F Devon Pryor

C Kadin Shedrick

That leaves 4-5 spots for Portal or another HS guy. Teams get 13 scholarships, but nowadays it's tough to use all of them. I believe we used 12 this year. If the portal number is 4, it needs to be a ballhandling PG, wing scorer who can shoot the 3 and two bigs (maybe one defender/rebounder and one with a little more offensive game).

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

106 career starts. Second straight NCAA tournament where he traveled on an inbounds pass.

He is who he is. There is no reason to believe next year is going to be different. The sample size is extremely large at this point. The outlier is when he has a good game, not a bad one. Texas needs to move on. I know it's hard to let go of a guy when you've seen the upside and potential when things are clicking, but we can and should do better. 

Yeah, he's been average to bad for most of his tenure at Texas. 

I get continuity and culture but Hunter simply isn't good. It's time to go get portal guards. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Teryor said:

I don't get this. 

Mitchell is flawed but he can rebound and play defense at times. I would much rather have Mitchell back than Hunter. Mitchell can at least fill certain roles. I expect both to be gone though. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)

I think grabbing Brandon Garrison from OSU would be a great start to portal szn. Great size, athleticism, can rebound and defend. His biggest issue is he couldn't stay out of foul trouble this year, but as a freshman that isn't super concerning long term.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

We have had a few decent players over the years who turned it on and had great senior seasons. I am hopeful that could happen with Tyrese Hunter. 

Tyrese Hunter

image.thumb.png.db1f6a8c173af2893f51b33d95a331c1.png

Javan Felix

image.thumb.png.8351bf10257cc083a9f61e16bf0a294c.png

Matt Coleman:

image.thumb.png.93242c727cc1f19bb3e06ced7db1d58f.png

Kerwin Roach:

image.thumb.png.3be06b9679eb371cf554f2c24f261122.png

If you look at all of these guys, their productivity and efficiency all went up in their senior year.  Hunter improved in most facets this year except in his turnovers and free throw shooting.  His defense was really solid.

I attribute the turnovers as much to roster composition than anything.  Last year he turned it over less because he was asked to do less.  Pairing him with Abmas was just not good at all.  You basically have two undersized shooting guards out there.  Horton and Weaver are also not great to pair with him.  None of them are great passers.

If we can get a floor general in the portal, a mature player who can play defense and lead us in transition, it could really unlock Hunter. I could see him averaging 15 ppg and cut his turnovers in half with the right running mate.

image.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Hunter on the tweeds lol if you know you know!! 

the lapses he had is what happens when you blowing ya wig back! Idk if that’s the culture RT needs to keep around but hey that’s just me

Posted (edited)

The issue with Mitchell aside from the limitations we’ve gone through again and again, is his presence on the court forces us into weird offensive sets/lineups. It would be a lot easier to plan around if he was a 6’11 center who couldn’t shoot. A wing player without any sort of offensive game is a pretty much a dinosaur in today’s college basketball and makes the jobs of the other 4 players on the court that much harder.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1