Texas Basketball 2024-25

This Kent guy for Indiana State had pretty good numbers again the best competition they played:

-14 points, 4 rebounds against Bama

-12 points, 3 rebounds against Michigan State

-7 points, 10 rebounds again Drake

-6 points, 20 rebounds in the second matchup against Drake

-22 points, 9 rebounds in the MVC final against Drake

-35 points, 9 rebounds against SMU in the NIT

-16 points, 7 rebounds against Cincy in the NIT

-13 points, 7 rebounds in the NIT final against Seton Hall

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This Kent guy for Indiana State had pretty good numbers again the best competition they played:

-14 points, 4 rebounds against Bama

-12 points, 3 rebounds against Michigan State

-7 points, 10 rebounds again Drake

-6 points, 20 rebounds in the second matchup against Drake

-22 points, 9 rebounds in the MVC final against Drake

-35 points, 9 rebounds against SMU in the NIT

-16 points, 7 rebounds against Cincy in the NIT

-13 points, 7 rebounds in the NIT final against Seton Hall

Saw this guy playing on ESPN+ a few games... He's a fast aggressive rebounder with a great vertical.  I'd take him in a heartbeat, though he's not gonna carry a large load on offense. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is the last year. Shedrick was a freshman when they got the “free” year.

But if they redshirted, 2025-2026 would be their last year of eligibility?

But for the vast majority, it’s next year. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

But if they redshirted, 2025-2026 would be their last year of eligibility?

But for the vast majority, it’s next year. 

My understanding was the free year counted as the redshirt year if you had not already used your redshirt. So if you were a true freshman for the 2020-2021 season, you could play like normal and would enter the next season as a redshirt freshman with 4 years remaining to play 4 seasons.

So this should be the last batch of guys using the extra year.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

NCAA Basketball: Top 30 pending "covid-year" players decisions to make for 2024-25

Not sure about redshirt rules for COVID-year players, but info in article shared comments and Top 30 5th year prospects...

https://bustingbrackets.com/posts/ncaa-basketball-top-30-pending-covid-year-players-decisions-to-make-for-2024-25-01ht8fn7wc5n

This upcoming offseason will be the last of the "covid year" for most college players, as next season's 4th-year seniors won't have a 5th year available. So that means a ton of "seniors" will be leaving NCAA Basketball a year from now.  But right now, there are still plenty of talented players who'll have decisions to make. Will they go pro or could they return for a 5th year? .

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Yawn

Having $ to reallocate to the portal is a win 

Probably true, but I would like the roster management to be more organized. The reality for Cam Scott today shouldn’t be all that different from when he signed. If he doesn’t fit now, he didn’t fit then. So why did we even pursue and sign him? Why did he sign?

The whole thing seems silly to me.

• Hook 'Em 3

Probably true, but I would like the roster management to be more organized. The reality for Cam Scott today shouldn’t be all that different from when he signed. If he doesn’t fit now, he didn’t fit then. So why did we even pursue and sign him? Why did he sign?

RT could learn a thing or 4 from Sark on roster management.

39 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

How many coaches in the country can manage a roster in an organized fashion? It’s a small group and most, if not all, would laugh CDC out of the building.

I know that losing talented high schoolers doesn’t help change this, but we haven’t had a true high school success story since Ramey in 2018. 

13 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I know that losing talented high schoolers doesn’t help change this, but we haven’t had a true high school success story since Ramey in 2018. 

Aside from being on our third head coach in that span, what might explain this pattern? Maybe with NIL we can get by from now on without developing any homegrown talent, but I hope we don't have to. 

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Aside from being on our third head coach in that span, what might explain this pattern? Maybe with NIL we can get by from now on without developing any homegrown talent, but I hope we don't have to. 

Beard being an alcoholic dickhead didn’t help. Nobody wanted to stick around getting no minutes while dealing with him. And he didn’t have patience for guys worth 0 minutes either. Now RT doesn’t command the respect for guys to want to stick around and get better

5 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Beard being an alcoholic dickhead didn’t help. Nobody wanted to stick around getting no minutes while dealing with him. And he didn’t have patience for guys worth 0 minutes either. Now RT doesn’t command the respect for guys to want to stick around and get better

Jaylon Tyson was literally a clone of Scott's circumstances, high 4* who got next to no minutes with us, leaves and immediately blossoms into a guy who's a likely 1st round pick this year. Was he as good as he is now as a freshman? No. Was he worth getting minutes as a freshman and playing a role and being able to contribute to winning basketball. Probably.

• Hook 'Em 2

Jaylon Tyson was literally a clone of Scott's circumstances, high 4* who got next to no minutes with us, leaves and immediately blossoms into a guy who's a likely 1st round pick this year. Was he as good as he is now as a freshman? No. Was he worth getting minutes as a freshman and playing a role and being able to contribute to winning basketball. Probably.

Scott never stepped on campus, unlike Tyson

Chris Johnson may be a better comparison

52 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

Scott never stepped on campus, unlike Tyson

Chris Johnson may be a better comparison

I've compared him to both Johnson and Tyson but I was purely responding to the Chris Beard aspect which fit Tyson more

33 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What is the story on Cam Scott and why is this board unconcerned? 

Very concerned, either Scott was misled on what his role would be in which case RT is a bad recruiter/communicator or RT decided recently that Scott wasn't good enough to be on the court his freshman year in which case RT made a bad talent evaluation and wasted resources recruiting him at all and taking his commitment. Either way some of us are pointing out that we're clearly mistreating these top 30-75 ranked recruits in some way and should not be recruiting them going forward since they'll expect playing time which we apparently refuse to give them so we should only be recruiting 1 and done types and projects actually willing to ride the pine going forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

Very concerned, either Scott was misled on what his role would be in which case RT is a bad recruiter/communicator or RT decided recently that Scott wasn't good enough to be on the court his freshman year in which case RT made a bad talent evaluation and wasted resources recruiting him at all and taking his commitment. Either way some of us are pointing out that we're clearly mistreating these top 30-75 ranked recruits in some way and should not be recruiting them going forward since they'll expect playing time which we apparently refuse to give them so we should only be recruiting 1 and done types and projects actually willing to ride the pine going forward.

What about the possibility the kid got cold feet, flaked or demanded some crazy NIL?

Kids change their mind… especially with money in the equation and people in their ears

47 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

What about the possibility the kid got cold feet, flaked or demanded some crazy NIL?

Kids change their mind… especially with money in the equation and people in their ears

Has what's happened to us lately with high schoolers suddenly also been happening everywhere? Maybe, but I hadn't heard that.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Teryor said:

I've compared him to both Johnson and Tyson but I was purely responding to the Chris Beard aspect which fit Tyson more

What about a third alternative in which Scott is having reservations about Texas in some manner?...

Edit: I see this was already suggested.

We'll see what more comes out.

Edited by MuellerHorn

Forward  

Wing  

Weaver, Shedrick returning  

Keep Tre Johnson and land another guard and we’ll be cooking with gas. 

Fine with Mitchell and Hunter back with this incoming talent too 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Forward  

Wing  

Weaver, Shedrick returning  

Keep Tre Johnson and land another guard and we’ll be cooking with gas. 

Fine with Mitchell and Hunter back with this incoming talent too 

Time to get Cream Abdul-Jabbar and send Shedrick to the bench

I didn’t want to post this in the young man’s commitment thread but the first thing an Arkansas booster told me is he was rumored to be involved in a love triangle with another player. Obviously his personal preferences are of no concern but hopefully he wasn’t part of something that damaged the locker room at his prior team. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Tramon Mark joins Texas basketball after leading Arkansas in scoring last season

image.png.d0018a1ed1a5e7c87a1b111e125f0bab.png

Story by Thomas Jones, Austin American-Statesman

Texas capped a massive portal haul Sunday evening by signing former Arkansas wing Tramon Mark, a four-year junior who averaged 16.2 points and 4.3 rebounds a game this past season for the Razorbacks.

Mark’s commitment to Texas comes after John Calipari took over the Arkansas program, and it comes just a couple of hours after Texas announced the signing of former Indiana State wing Jayson Kent.

Mark, who spent three seasons at Houston before transferring to Arkansas, will return to his home state. He grew up in Dickinson, which is just south of Houston and near Angleton, the hometown of Texas coach Rodney Terry.

Rated the 35th best player available in the portal, Mark gives Texas another athletic wing who can play multiple positions and shoot the ball from the outside. This past season, Mark made 36.4% of his 99 3-pointers while shooting 48% from the floor. He also averaged 5.3 shots a game from the foul line, making 80.4%.

How does Tramon Mark fit in with Texas?

Like Kent, Mark looks like he can step in as an immediate starter. He gives Texas more length, athleticism and defensive versatility.

Texas has some available minutes at the wing since Brock Cunningham graduated and Devon Pryor is a developing sophomore who only saw 25 minutes of action this past season. Terry often used a three-guard lineup featuring a rotation of Max Abmas, Tyrese Hunter, Chendall Weaver and Ithiel Horton this past season. The presence of Mark and Kent will give Texas two true wings.

More portal news to come for Rodney Terry?

Texas has only lost little-used guards Chris Johnson and Gavin Perryman as well as backup forward Alex Anamekwe to the portal, but the team did miss out on incoming freshman Cam Scott, a 4-star guard who received his release from his letter of intent to play at Texas last week.

Terry and his staff hosted Kent and former Indiana State teammate Julian Larry this weekend, and they are hosting former Oregon State guard Jordan Pope this upcoming weekend

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I didn’t want to post this in the young man’s commitment thread but the first thing an Arkansas booster told me is he was rumored to be involved in a love triangle with another player. Obviously his personal preferences are of no concern but hopefully he wasn’t part of something that damaged the locker room at his prior team. 

Yes we’ve know about the supposed Arkansas gay story for a few months now.

No one has said shit since. 

27 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Your booster friend likely just read a random message board post like everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

For people wondering why Texas was ranked where they were in the preseason rankings now you know why. 

They knew Texas would go buy players in the portal. 

Was our ranking?

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Yeah that 16 a game on 48/36/80 really sank Arkansas in the SEC last season.