Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, thetruth said:

Is it a requirement that Seth Martinez pitches every single game? Dude has to have more innings than some  of our starters at this point 

Only arrighetti (beilak has more IP than him too). 

but Framber only has 2.2 IP more than martinez. Javier 3.1.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

We need to bring back Luhnow and Hinch.

Crane needs to apologize to both for being an asshole for firing them. That’s the first step in trying to rehire Luhnow. Crane should have let them serve their one year suspensions and have them come back. The Red Sox had no problem with bringing Cora back after his suspension.

It’s despicable how Luhnow was made the fall guy when he was the least culpable. The future of this team is bleak. I’m worried that Crane is morphing into Jerry Jones by surrounding himself with yes men and will never again achieve the success he had with Luhnow. I hope he sells the team.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

13 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

We need to bring back Luhnow and Hinch.

Hinch is replaceable but Luhnow is one of a kind.  

I actually don’t like a lot of his drafting and there were trades that didn’t work out, but the logic was obvious and he was a far better strategic thinker and innovator than it appears we have on staff.  I’m pretty sure he’d be pushing out guys like Tucker because you can’t let them go for compensation picks and expect to be successful.  

Either way, an acknowledgment that “we’ve got to be creative” would be helpful at keeping the faith with the fan base.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah...."starting tomorrow i have a lot of work to do to get my agent to find a trade to get me off this raisin ball team"
If Dana is trying to pump up Abreu’s trade value, I’ll give him a pass for this, if not, he is a clueless idiot.

Trade value? Trade value?? We talkin bout trade value????
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

Another thing that was lost when Luhnow was fired--he took chances and Crane let him. 

Click and Brown both appear hamstrung by their backgrounds (Click by the Tampa method, Brown by the budget/Crane/customs of baseball).  Luhnow was just so great at finding that balance between "my baseball people say we should do this," and "we're never going to win anything without taking risks". 

Whether it was signing Abreu, Hader, re-signing Montero, letting other guys walk, trading for Verlander, etc., almost all of it was common sense predictable and that doesn't cut it indefinitely. 

Case in point--look at the tear down and reconstruction that the Dodgers did over the off-season.  That's a great example of a GM looking at the roster, record, and going "we're not winning championships doing the same thing as last year."

13 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Case in point--look at the tear down and reconstruction that the Dodgers did over the off-season.  That's a great example of a GM looking at the roster, record, and going "we're not winning championships doing the same thing as last year."

And yet they still employ Dave Roberts...

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I hear ya, but the Dodgers aren’t the best example. Much easier to overhaul your approach when MLB colludes with you to ensure Shohei goes to your team. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I hear ya, but the Dodgers aren’t the best example. Much easier to overhaul your approach when MLB colludes with you to ensure Shohei goes to your team. 

That’s just loophole exploitation, the kind of shit Luhnow popularized with the Correa draft.  

I just saw the Ben Dubose tweet linked to on crawfish boxes and he makes a good point-the team has really been mediocre or worse going back to last year.  

3 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I’ve read somewhere that once the Jays came over the top of what LAD wanted to pay, they had to approach Manfred to get approval for the ridiculous deferment.  No idea how true that is. 

and then they kept on spending because Ohtani was only being paid $2M 

that shit ain't right

3 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Yes that was my point on easily be able to “remake” the roster - and with the most talented player in baseball history leading the charge. 

If the season plays out like it looks for us, the only solace will be rooting for everyone against the Dodgers. 

Maybe even the Yankees.  fuck, that's gross

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I just saw the Ben Dubose tweet linked to on crawfish boxes and he makes a good point-the team has really been mediocre or worse going back to last year.  

I saw that too, and he's right. We got swept by the Royals to finish off the last homestand of the 2023 season, and there was a decent chance we weren't even making the playoffs. Everything fell into place over the last couple of weeks, which masked just how close we were to having everything come crashing down last season. So far, this season has just been a continuation of everything from about September 2023 on with the exception of the one week where we went to Arlington and dick slapped the Rangers and the aforementioned last week of the regular season/ALDS.

• Rage+1 2

Pena. The cleanup hitter we didn’t know we needed. Bregman hitting 6. Could be lower as far as I’m concerned. And any lineup with Meyers in it is not a serious lineup. But he’s right handed bat and we are going against a left hander. This is the hand we have been dealt. I wanted to see Loperfido with the short porch. Maybe tomorrow against another righthander. Should have played yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Pena. The cleanup hitter we didn’t know we needed. Bregman hitting 6. Could be lower as far as I’m concerned. And any lineup with Meyers in it is not a serious lineup. But he’s right handed bat and we are going against a left hander. This is the hand we have been dealt. I wanted to see Loperfido with the short porch. Maybe tomorrow against another righthander. Should have played yesterday. 

There’s a decent chance Loperfido will never be a good hitter at the mlb level and a better chance he won’t be right now. 
I’m fine with waiting for him to get everyday AB’s after we throw in the towel in 3 weeks and go to next year mode after Memorial Day. 

• Drool 1

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There’s a decent chance Loperfido will never be a good hitter at the mlb level and a better chance he won’t be right now. 
I’m fine with waiting for him to get everyday AB’s after we throw in the towel in 3 weeks and go to next year mode after Memorial Day. 

Of course all that is right, but as of right now, the only interest I have in this team is watching him. I’ve seen Meyers throw up all over himself for three years. When the towel gets thrown in I’m done watching all of them. I’m going fishing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

If you are gm at all star break and astros are below 500 by 10 games. What do you do?

Depends on where the wild card leaders are sitting and if you think 89 wins is the magic number to get in the AL playoffs like it was last year, or if you think it will be lower. (I think it will be lower but probably not by much).

To go from 10 under at the ASB to finish with 89 wins means playing .700 (46-29) ball for 2.5 months. Uhhhh

That said, I think they’ll hold tight to hoping something miraculous happens because the farm is so barren, a deadline deal or two to try and re-stock some of the system isn’t going to do shit