Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Go get Brandon Belt for like 1 year 3m or whatever.  He was good in 100 games for the Blue Jays last year and he's a lefty.  A very cheap solution to platoon 1b for the time being. DFA Singleton to make room, and just hope Abreu can figure things out with some rest. No way do they cut him at 19m a year unless his arm falls off. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Go get Brandon Belt for like 1 year 3m or whatever.  He was good in 100 games for the Blue Jays last year and he's a lefty.  A very cheap solution to platoon 1b for the time being. DFA Singleton to make room, and just hope Abreu can figure things out with some rest. No way do they cut him at 19m a year unless his arm falls off. 

My prediction is they want to get Loperfido 25 games or so in AAA and then make a decision.  There’s a pretty good chance he’s better than Belt going forward and has more defensive versatility.  

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

My prediction is they want to get Loperfido 25 games or so in AAA and then make a decision.  There’s a pretty good chance he’s better than Belt going forward and has more defensive versatility.  

Yeah I could see that, but they may be waiting until after he can't earn a full year of service for being on the roster the rest of the season to maintain control.  He's also the next man up for any injuries to other players, so it wouldn't hurt to have 1 more guy to slot in the first base rotation.

Belt's from Lufkin, which isn't too far from Houston, he went to UT for college, and his birthday is tomorrow (36). I could see him signing a deal for cheap to come play in Houston and have a solid role in our lineup playing about 2/3 of the games. He did make 9.3m with the Blue Jays last season, so maybe 3m is a bit of a low ball for him, but could 5m get it done? Just don't give him a 3 year deal and we should be OK. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

They pretty clearly aren’t using Kessinger, although the Altuve/Bregman/Pena will need more frequent days off than they’ve gotten so far.  But if (BIG if given he has a 38% k rate in AAA) the FO believes in Loperfido, they could bring him up to replace Singleton and have him in a strict 1B platoon with Abreu, but also give Loperfido time in LF and RF, which would make him closer to an everyday player.  Dubin would be the backup at the other 4 spots which over the 2nd half would also be a near-everyday role.  Kessinger would continue to rot on the bench.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah I could see that, but they may be waiting until after he can't earn a full year of service for being on the roster the rest of the season to maintain control.  He's also the next man up for any injuries to other players, so it wouldn't hurt to have 1 more guy to slot in the first base rotation.

Belt's from Lufkin, which isn't too far from Houston, he went to UT for college, and his birthday is tomorrow (36). I could see him signing a deal for cheap to come play in Houston and have a solid role in our lineup playing about 2/3 of the games. He did make 9.3m with the Blue Jays last season, so maybe 3m is a bit of a low ball for him, but could 5m get it done? Just don't give him a 3 year deal and we should be OK. 

Loperfido is 25 already--I don't think there are any service time manipulation considerations.  He's not on the Kyle Tucker career path. 

I think it's more likely they see that last year he had his first taste of AAA but only played 32 games there and had contact issues.  He's pretty clearly trying to lift the ball more (as a senior sign they likely re-worked his swing) and he's really only had two years in the minors.  Getting a few more games in at AAA gives him more time to face pitching he couldn't hit last year, more time to evaluate whether Abreu is fully cooked or just mostly cooked, etc. 

If they do sign Belt it probably correlates with their evaluation of Loperfido's readiness. 

• Hook 'Em 2