2024 Masters

15 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Scottie is a national treasure. I’ve been overserved way too many times at the Inwood Tavern. As I’m sure many other Surly Dallasites have been as well.

That’s great. We had a big crowd at ROCC cheering him on. Was cool to see Randy at Augusta wearing his colors. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Incredulity said:

He is so consistent it is actually a bit boring to watch.

We already have one Texas Ex coaster, which is the fastest and highest in the land.  we don't need another.

19 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Scottie is a national treasure. I’ve been overserved way too many times at the Inwood Tavern. As I’m sure many other Surly Dallasites have been as well.

Ha. I was wondering what dive he’d choose to celebrate this one in.

he was hanging out at Deep Eddy Cabaret after he won the Match Play (RIP) a couple of years ago to get to #1 for the first time (how was that only ~2 years ago. What a ridiculous 26 months for him)

• Hook 'Em 2

I absolutely believe Scottie has the talent to dominate for awhile. However....we've done this before. Rory was supposed to reel off 10 majors. DJ looked unstoppable for a bit. Jordan was hot for awhile. Morikawa looked dominant for a stretch, as did Rahm. Everyone cools off eventually. And Scottie is a family man, not obsessed with golf the way Tiger was. I think he can accomplish a lot but it's just so hard to do.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I absolutely believe Scottie has the talent to dominate for awhile. However....we've done this before. Rory was supposed to reel off 10 majors. DJ looked unstoppable for a bit. Jordan was hot for awhile. Morikawa looked dominant for a stretch, as did Rahm. Everyone cools off eventually. And Scottie is a family man, not obsessed with golf the way Tiger was. I think he can accomplish a lot but it's just so hard to do.

The Jack Nicklaus rule - “let’s see what happens once he has kids.” He called Tiger’s struggles right. 

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The Jack Nicklaus rule - “let’s see what happens once he has kids.” He called Tiger’s struggles right. 

Blackie Sherrod said it best back when Tiger turned pro.  The only thing that is going to stop him is a woman or something like that.  

Tiger’s body started breaking down long before any of the scandal stuff bubbled to the surface. And he was still really good in that 2013 stretch before all the back problems. I think it’s more health than woman related. 

Scheffler's mental game on the course is very strong. Better than Rory, Speith, Rahm. He never gets too high or low and his course management is unmatched right now.  

Also no need for him to bulk up or become a workout warrior, so he should stay healthy in the future as well.  

But similar to what Pam Cummings is alluding to, the young players are so good now. Will be incredibly difficult for anyone to be dominant for a long period of time. 

wouldn't be surprised if Scottie having kids actually helps his game.  he's been with Meredith for a long time, so it's not like he's going from ladies man to house husband/father.  he's been low key since the jump to the PGA.

with kids, he may be even more focused on his golf when it's time to focus on golf.  plus, this is not like the old days when you had to play 25-30 tournaments a year to provide for the family, and you were always on the road.  Scottie can play 15-18 tournaments and win the money list.  and with the money they make, he can fly Meredith and the baby in a PJ to every tournament if he wanted.

@Pam Cummings is right.  we've seen this before.  a lot.  guys who were gonna win 8-10 majors don't quite meet the lofty expectations. Jordan has been stuck on 3 since 2017.  Rory is stuck on 4 since 2014.  it ain't easy to win those.  we'll see if Scottie can really be the next chosen one.

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think he finishes his career with 25 wins and 5 majors. Which is an unbelievable career, but you're right. We've seen this plenty of times since Tiger. 

• Hook 'Em 1

To expound on my earlier point, Scheffler's mental game is the one X factor that can extend his dominance. 

I hate to say but Spieth and Rory seem to have way too many thoughts in their head on the course. The doubt crept in and never left. Both are very cerebral to their detriment IMO.

Scottie just puts everything into the hands of Jesus Christ and focuses on staying calm with a clear head. He's got that Christian Zen ring of power on. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think he finishes his career with 25 wins and 5 majors. Which is an unbelievable career, but you're right. We've seen this plenty of times since Tiger. 

I'd love to see it. Maybe more. The thing about Jordan and Rory is they were so young when they were doing it. Scottie just keeps getting stronger and stronger. I really do think he is a cut above everyone right now and can win another major this year.

Also I forgot to mention Brooks. 5 majors is nothing to sneeze at. He's a bit older now though and his form wasn't great at Augusta.

Edited by Pam Cummings

3 hours ago, MrX said:

Tiger’s body started breaking down long before any of the scandal stuff bubbled to the surface. And he was still really good in that 2013 stretch before all the back problems. I think it’s more health than woman related. 

Correct.  One major win after the ACL in 2008.  Before that injury, he had 11 Top 3s and 6 wins in the previous 14 majors.  He would have 2 top 3s and 0 wins over the next 9 years.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

. I really do think he is a cut above everyone right now and can win another major this year.

He’s the favorite for the PGA at 4/1.  Next is Rahm at 9/1. He should be an even bigger favorite for the U.S. Open. Pinehurst really suits his game with all of the crowned greens. 

Edited by TonyTexas

On 4/15/2024 at 2:39 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Can't remember if you were there, but we had a Shaggy happy hour there 15 or so years ago.

On 4/15/2024 at 1:26 PM, tx 3 putt said:

[Sergio…]

he’s a huge douche

Well… he is from Spain. 🇪🇸 

PS-

There are framed photo collections on the wall in the original part that have friends of mine in the photos when they weren’t anywhere close to 21 years old. More like 17-19.

It’s been around Alia while 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

To expound on my earlier point, Scheffler's mental game is the one X factor that can extend his dominance. 

I hate to say but Spieth and Rory seem to have way too many thoughts in their head on the course. The doubt crept in and never left. Both are very cerebral to their detriment IMO.

Scottie just puts everything into the hands of Jesus Christ and focuses on staying calm with a clear head. He's got that Christian Zen ring of power on. 

Also, when you have the big success with multiple majors close together pretty soon your focus gets compromised with all the advertising and personal branding stuff.  Hard to stay razor sharp with all that going on taking time that was formerly spent on his game.

Edited by Incredulity

1 hour ago, EastTexan said:

Never forget. "Bowling for Dollars".

When I was really young, I thought that the studio for Bowling For Dollars was directly behind the news desk and he went from the end of the 6:00pm News to hosting the 6:30pm BfD show.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a BfD intro for Verne, just one for someone in another city.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'd love to see it. Maybe more. The thing about Jordan and Rory is they were so young when they were doing it. Scottie just keeps getting stronger and stronger. I really do think he is a cut above everyone right now and can win another major this year.

Also I forgot to mention Brooks. 5 majors is nothing to sneeze at. He's a bit older now though and his form wasn't great at Augusta.

16 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

He’s the favorite for the PGA at 4/1.  Next is Rahm at 9/1. He should be an even bigger favorite for the U.S. Open. Pinehurst really suits his game with all of the crowned greens. 

There are not that many active tour players with 2 or more majors (I am not including Phil) but here is what I see:
Brooks - 5 (2 US Opens, 3 PGA )
Rory - 4 (1 US Open, 1 British, 2 PGA)
Jordan - 3 (1 Masters, 1 US Open, 1 British)
a few with 2 Bubba, ZJ, DJ, Morikawa, JT, Rahm, Scottie

so 10 guys still with a chance (not sure Bubba and ZJ meet that criteria) - and Scottie is, right now, head and shoulders ahead of every one of them. Sure on a given week, someone could put it together, but it is tough to predict that lightning striking; Scottie is winning with his B+ game (tour events, if not majors), so really IMO the only challenge he will have to face is being a parent and how many kids he and Meredith will have. Well that and whomever the next hot shot kid is - right now that torch is Akshay and Aberg, and after that it is someone in their teen.
TLDR - Scottie could have a 3-5 year period of dominance baring injury, parenting or global thermonuclear war

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I think Scheffler is steadier mentally than Jordan and Rory. I think Rory got caught up in the superstardom too early. I think he's been trying to get serious again the last few years but he might've already peaked. I can't believe he's only 34, though. Jordan was always a car crash waiting to happen. It's just he was about as good a putter as there ever was in 2014-2015. Then he got a little sideways, then got hurt, got married, etc. I'm afraid he'll never get back to where he was at his zenith. But Scottie is so pure with his iron play. He's just so consistently great.

18 hours ago, alincoln said:

Correct.  One major win after the ACL in 2008.  Before that injury, he had 11 Top 3s and 6 wins in the previous 14 majors.  He would have 2 top 3s and 0 wins over the next 9 years.

Tiger was never quite the same after he hurt himself training (stupidly, I might add) with the Navy SEALS. Never should've fired Butch either. If he hadn't made those two decisions, he's probably sitting on 20 majors.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I think Scheffler is steadier mentally than Jordan and Rory. I think Rory got caught up in the superstardom too early. I think he's been trying to get serious again the last few years but he might've already peaked. I can't believe he's only 34, though. Jordan was always a car crash waiting to happen. It's just he was about as good a putter as there ever was in 2014-2015. Then he got a little sideways, then got hurt, got married, etc. I'm afraid he'll never get back to where he was at his zenith. But Scottie is so pure with his iron play. He's just so consistently great.

Tiger was never quite the same after he hurt himself training (stupidly, I might add) with the Navy SEALS. Never should've fired Butch either. If he hadn't made those two decisions, he's probably sitting on 20 majors.

If he hadn't passed out and driven his car of the road he probably could have won 2 more Masters.  I think he would have been competitive there until he was mid-50's.  perhaps later. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 2:39 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Scottie said in his press conference today that he was trying to go to another tavern (TOT) sunday but it was closed.  IT was the only one open......and Meredith was with him.  keeper!  

Edited by babysdaddy
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Incredulity said:

If he hadn't passed out and driven his car of the road he probably could have won 2 more Masters.  I think he would have been competitive there until he was mid-50's.  perhaps later. 

Or ran into a tree, while escaping his wife and hitting a tree or hydrant 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1