RIP Dickey Betts

G650

Posted (edited)

At least he made it to 80. 

If the Allman Brothers taught me anything, it's don't ride a motorcycle in Macon, GA.

Edit:  Just remembered that, like Skynyrd, they were from Jacksonville, so I guess second lesson learned is don't start a band in Jacksonville.  

Edited by DixonHur

As much as I venture into modern music, I was raised on guitar-based blues-rock and always cycle back to it.   Betts was one of the giants for me.   

I have an mp3 of a live version of In memory of Liz Reed that I don't even know where it came from, but it's probably one of my top 5 recordings all-time. Master musicians improvising at the highest level possible. 

RIP 

• Hook 'Em 2

One of the greatest in one of my favorite bands, and it is still kind of mind blowing he probably wasn't even the best guitarist in his own band.

Gonna be playing In Memory of Dickie Betts on the guitar tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had a friend/fraternity brother who was a member of hunting club in South Florida. He said one of the other members brought this old beat up looking guy to the camp one night. The old guy had a "little to drink" and my friend was wondering what the deal was. His friend finally asked the old guy, "why don't you play us a few tunes". He said the guy got up and stumbled to get a guitar from the truck and then played the most delicate beautiful guitar he had ever heard. My friend, said, "you may be on to something there, what's your name? You guessed it...DB

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I learned about his passing from Bob Weir’s IG.

Yeah, the first thing I thought of was Blue Sky because it’s such a great road trip tune. Windows down, volume cranked up.

I remember my first ABB awakening came when I was young, in high school and I was awake one morning listening to my clock radio. Ramblin’ Man came on and I wasn’t ready to get up yet so I just lied there and listened. I never really paid much attention. It sounded like kind of a country redneck tune with that twangy voice and I was pretty dismissive of it. But then it got to the guitar solo(s) part and I got it.

I stumbled on this on YouTube tonight:

The Dead and the All and crossed paths numerous times. Here’s an excerpt from the 4th set of the Dead in D.C. on 6/10/73 when they were joined by Betts and Butch Trucks. The whole set is killer if you dare to seek it out.

RIP

IMG_2342.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Ignatius said:

The solo to Blue Sky (realize it’s also Duane) is fucking impeccable…

Blue Sky was on more mix tapes (not just mine) in college than I can even count.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/18/2024 at 3:42 PM, Litig8r said:

I had a friend/fraternity brother who was a member of hunting club in South Florida. He said one of the other members brought this old beat up looking guy to the camp one night. The old guy had a "little to drink" and my friend was wondering what the deal was. His friend finally asked the old guy, "why don't you play us a few tunes". He said the guy got up and stumbled to get a guitar from the truck and then played the most delicate beautiful guitar he had ever heard. My friend, said, "you may be on to something there, what's your name? You guessed it...DB

Are you sure it wasn't Frank Stallone?

• Haha 1