UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I am anti-protestor, pro-Israel, and believe precisely what I said. State employees by and large are morons. This is not exclusive to college professors. 

Right.  You're a far-right piece of shit.  We already knew that, but at least you're consistent.

The irony of a simp like you wading into a legitimate discussion and flinging poo is not lost on anyone.

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Nah. Tell you what fucko - let’s place a wager on it. Put your money where your looney lips are. 

You off your meds or something?

There's a shitload of case law on this issue. 

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Right.  You're a far-right piece of shit.  We already knew that, but at least you're consistent.

The irony of a simp like you wading into a legitimate discussion and flinging poo is not lost on anyone.

You can call me far right if you’d like. I’m very anti Trump. The current environment, which includes this Board, is pushing me further and further right at a good pace. 

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You off your meds or something?

There's a shitload of case law on this issue. 

Happy to wager you too. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

Happy to wager you too. 

On what? That's its not a complicated issue with nuances in case law? 

Or is your position that if this employee does not prevail in a lawsuit, that proves that the law is straightforward?

How many weird hills a week do you die on?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

You can call me far right if you’d like. I’m very anti Trump. The current environment, which includes this Board, is pushing me further and further right at a good pace. 

Lulz.  You're letting a message board push you farther right.  Way to stand your ground, Chomsky.

It literally took 2 minutes googling @BrickHorn's first reference to see the differing judicial rulings involved.  Illinois state court ruled in favor of the school board, Illinois Supreme Court affirmed, US Supreme Court overturned.

Sure, there's no nuance here.

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

On what? That's its not a complicated issue with nuances in case law? 

Or is your position that if this employee does not prevail in a lawsuit, that proves that the law is straightforward?

How many weird hills a week do you die on?

That Heynan will not prevail for a multitude of reasons. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Lulz.  You're letting a message board push you farther right.  Way to stand your ground, Chomsky.

Not really. That’d be society. Of which Surly is a part. 

49 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

A judge who is a nazi sympathizer may be more frowned upon than the Chevron clerk

Maybe compare someone in the private sector that is as high profile as a judge - such as a CEO or small biz owner.  If vocal, both will suffer the backlash.  

10 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

That Heynan will not prevail for a multitude of reasons. 

The conversation everyone else was having involved the first amendment's applicability when it comes to public employees, and how the analysis is different in regard to public vs. private employers.

Why you repeatedly responded with certainty to posts NOT discussing whether Heynan will prevail is curious.

Let me give you an example to help you understand:

"Well, the patient has been shot through the abdomen, and the procedure is complicated and risky. The chances of survival will depend largely on what we find during surgery."

"LOL doc, that's completely retarded and you're wrong. I'll bet you he survives."

"Ok?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Is it really controversial on this board that the employee was fired?  I saw the video last week.  It's a bad look.  Not an employment lawyer so not weighing in on all this first amendment talk but I'll be pretty surprised if he wins this.  I don't think first amendment prevents you from being fired for acting like an asshole on camera (unless you have contracted around that) regardless of your employer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Maybe compare someone in the private sector that is as high profile as a judge - such as a CEO or small biz owner.  If vocal, both will suffer the backlash.  

Here's Amy Wax. Professor at a private university. Still employed.

Amy Wax, a law professor, has said publicly that “on average, Blacks have lower cognitive ability than whites,” that the country is “better off with fewer Asians” as long as they tend to vote for Democrats, and that non-Western people feel a “tremendous amount of resentment and shame.”

At the University of Pennsylvania, where she has tenure, she invited a white nationalist to speak to her class. And a Black law student who had attended UPenn and Yale said that the professor told her she “had only become a double Ivy ‘because of affirmative action,’” according to the administration.

Professor Wax has denied saying anything belittling or racist to students, and her supporters see her as a truth teller about affirmative action, immigration and race. They agree with her argument that she is the target of censorship and “wokeism” because of her conservative views.

After some students called for her firing, conservative media rallied, allowing Professor Wax to spread her views across the conservative firmament over the years, including writing for The Wall Street Journal and appearing on Tucker Carlson’s daytime show on Fox Nation.

Along the way, her rhetoric grew more extreme. She has described some non-Western countries as “shitholes” and stated that “women, on average, are less knowledgeable than men.”

Speaking with Mr. Carlson last year, she said “American Blacks” and people from non-Western countries feel shame for the “outsized achievements and contributions” of Western people.

On a recent podcast, she said, “I often chuckle at the ads on TV which show a Black man married to a white woman in an upper-class picket-fence house,” she said, adding, “They never show Blacks the way they really are: a bunch of single moms with a bunch of guys who float in and out. Kids by different men.”

Edited by Foosters

14 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This seem to be more about hiding behind tenure.  Something neither a judge nor CEO has.  Is the case against her still ongoing?

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

The conversation everyone else was having involved the first amendment's applicability when it comes to public employees, and how the analysis is different in regard to public vs. private employers.

Why you repeatedly responded with certainty to posts NOT discussing whether Heynan will prevail is curious.

Let me give you an example to help you understand:

"Well, the patient has been shot through the abdomen, and the procedure is complicated and risky. The chances of survival will depend largely on what we find during surgery."

"LOL doc, that's completely retarded and you're wrong. I'll bet you he survives."

"Ok?"

Terrible analogy. His firing isn’t complicated. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

Terrible analogy. His firing isn’t complicated. 

The law surrounding first amendment protections for gov't employees is. Which is what you have been arguing against all day.

44 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Is it really controversial on this board that the employee was fired?  I saw the video last week.  It's a bad look.  Not an employment lawyer so not weighing in on all this first amendment talk but I'll be pretty surprised if he wins this.  I don't think first amendment prevents you from being fired for acting like an asshole on camera (unless you have contracted around that) regardless of your employer.

Where did you see the video? All I ever saw posted was a still photograph. Would you mind reposting the video so it's easier to judge?

23 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Doxxing Johnny Sack like that is uncool, man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Foosters said:

The law surrounding first amendment protections for gov't employees is. Which is what you have been arguing against all day.

This is pretty cut and dried. Sounds like there’s a group of y’all willing to battle UT on this homeless looking dude’s behalf, like you’d envy being in that position. I strongly suspect the facts of any case law you link and the facts from Ol’ Dick are night and day. But by all means, continue to speak on how complicated it is. 

10 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

This is pretty cut and dried. Sounds like there’s a group of y’all willing to battle UT on this homeless looking dude’s behalf, like you’d envy being in that position. I strongly suspect the facts of any case law you link and the facts from Ol’ Dick are night and day. But by all means, continue to speak on how complicated it is. 

Apparently you are not aware what you’re even arguing

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Happy to wager you too. 

Goddamn you are stupid