Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

AOC can say what she wants now on what she meant.
We all fucking know she meant calling them concentration camps was a comparison to nazi camps.
Shes all in to shock value, No fucking way she didnt mean the nazis.
She can try and spin it now about a true definition.
Yes and faggot means a cigarette like in england, not a slur to gays.

• Like 1

AOC can say what she wants now on what she meant.
We all fucking know she meant calling them concentration camps was a comparison to nazi camps.
Shes all in to shock value, No fucking way she didnt mean the nazis.
She can try and spin it now about a true definition.
Yes and faggot means a cigarette like in england, not a slur to gays.
I'm feel sorry for you.

11 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Dominican Republican all-inclusive resorts are extermination and death camps because more than 6 people have died, I guess. Someone call UNESCO and keep Punta Cana from being touched while we create a museum around it.

Jesus.  Fucking.  Christ.  

You should probably just log off the internet, no way you could ever top this. 

Honestly curious question---I googled "Concentration Camp"...and on the right it automatically filled-in "Nazi Concentration Camp".  Left side is obviously the most recent additions, stuff like what y'all are talking about above.  And then of course, many graphic photos.  But before this AOC thing, what came up when somebody googled "Concentration Camp"...but not with the word Nazi in it, as I left it out as well.  

The really disturbing thing to me is that Nazi's camps were populated by either Germans or people from countries the Nazis had conquered, part of the cruelty of warfare.  Trump is imprisoning people that are neither from his country or from lands he took in war.  

13 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I know most of you well-traveled and well-heeled Surlians have been, but having just recently last week visited Auschiwitz I and II and spending a day oscillating between walking/touching the remains of the horror show and having a panic attack, I feel well positioned to respectfully give an opinion:

It's clearly an attempt to emotionally and psychologically manipulate by using the term "concentration camp" knowing that 99.999% of people associate it with the aforementioned and cannot draw an intellectual distinction and associate the word with it's technical definition (and she's not wrong if we were talking about academic definitions). The differences and gulf is so immensely wide that people who want to seriously compare and draw similiarities to Nazi Germany's concentration camp program and what's going on at the border in 2019 are either very ignorant or not very bright (and I'm not saying that what we are doing at our border today is NOT atrocious). Or, politcally inspired and motivated, which I'm starting to think is mostly the case.

I'm just saying there really isn't a way to sanely compare a systematic initiative to root out and find every existing of a specific race and put them through the best human death factory ever designed and executed (no pun intended) in an effort to erradicate the very last chromosome from the planet with sloppily and unempathically holding a bunch of a specific race in what are essentially jails because they are proactively trying to come into your country as non-citizents because they actually want to live and work next to you.

We should call them Freedom Camps instead.  That sounds a lot better, imo.

So Rougarou has no issue with the technical accuracy of the use of the term in this context, but believes a different, more Orwellian term should be used instead in order to protect certain peoples' feelings.  Is that correct?  Well, I'm afraid facts don't care about anyone's feelings.  Words have meaning.  Sorry!

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Did the current republican president refer to a nazi rally as having "good people"? Yea? Then shut the fuck up with your bitching.

No he didn't, he said there were good people on both sides of the debate about removing the statue of Robert E. Lee from a city park in Charlottesville. His answer to the question posed was edited to make it sound like he was saying there were good Nazis.  

He says enough stupid shit, why the need to make stuff up, and give people the ammunition to call out "fake news" ?

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No he didn't, he said there were good people on both sides of the debate about removing the statue of Robert E. Lee from a city park in Charlottesville. His answer to the question posed was edited to make it sound like he was saying there were good Nazis.  

He says enough stupid shit, why the need to make stuff up, and give people the ammunition to call out "fake news" ?

Shut up with your disingenuous ass. Fuck off. Seriously 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

It's clearly an attempt to emotionally and psychologically manipulate by using the term "concentration camp" knowing that 99.999% of people associate it with the aforementioned and cannot draw an intellectual distinction and associate the word with it's technical definition (and she's not wrong if we were talking about academic definitions). The differences and gulf is so immensely wide that people who want to seriously compare and draw similiarities to Nazi Germany's concentration camp program and what's going on at the border in 2019 are either very ignorant or not very bright (and I'm not saying that what we are doing at our border today is NOT atrocious).

Were you able to tour the Nazi concentration camps at a point in time where they had existed for, say, 6 months?  Because I'll posit that your hindsight is coloring your perspective.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You fuck off first asshole.  Sorry to call out your inaccurate post, but facts are facts. How do you go thru the day without tripping over your own feet ?

Pretty amazing that someone managed to edit a live press conference before anyone could see it.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's false.  Trump was talking about the specific Unite the Right rally, not the general debate over the statue, and his argument was that good people can and did join with white supremacists and neo-Nazis for non-racist reasons.  And the reason he took so much heat for it is that (1) Trump was making up the whole distinction among the actual people who protested that night, so he was covering for actual white supremacists, and (2) Any such distinction is illegitimate, because if you join with Nazis for any reason you are not a very fine person. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Quite the rude asshole you are little boy or girl, not sure which, but you're certainly emotional enough to be a little girl.

If you're not lying, why don't you explain to us how someone managed to edit the feed of a live press conference?

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Quite the rude asshole you are little boy or girl, not sure which, but you're certainly emotional enough to be a little girl.

Milosh called and he wants you to stop using his material, you plagiarizing, orange man defending fuckstick.

Quite rich that you parrot a false talking point and then manage to bitch about fake news in the same sentence.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

This brings up another quibble that came to me after touring Auschiwitz and thinking about our modern day Republicans and issues as a country: why do we call American's Nazi's instead of making up a more unique word that better describes what's going on? Nazism is a very specific ideology and political party-- you'd think a better political play to villianize and shame what is going on in America is to depart from cartoonish hyberbole (e.g. comparing the border with Nazi concentration camps) and call out by a new name what is going on. Maybe Amerikazi or Republicazi would be two options?

um, maybe because they call themselves nazis and openly engage nazi symbols?

dude, slow your roll. you're not he only person to have seen and experienced auschwitz. i've also been to dachau. 

if anything, for me, it underlines the importance of calling out what is happening at our border even louder. because nazi germany tried to exterminate their prison camp (concentration camp) population and we are not actively gassing those people in our camps...remember, birkenau only came later as part of the final solution. dachau was opened nearly a decade earlier to house political prisoners. hell, the first auschwitz camp was the same. nazi germany definitely did not start out gassing people, but they went about putting them together, concentrating them, if you will, in camps as a political solution from early on. only when the truly evil psychotics got to be in charge did mengele get going, and the final solution became a thing. the goal of those of us speaking out is to stop this now. it's not before it gets out of control. it's already out of control. KIDS ARE DYING IN OUR PRISONS FOR THEM. not in our fucking name. we don't have to wait until stephen miller is carving the guts out of preteens like mengele before we decide it's time to stop this.

take everything you know about trump, his narcissism, his hatred of the free press, and his threatening to imprison his political foes at his rallies, where he can speak and rally up his supporters for more than an hour at a time, and just have a think about the motives, ideals, and motivations of this president of ours. your takes are so off base to me.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Milosh called and he wants you to stop using his material, you plagiarizing, orange man defending fuckstick.

Quite rich that you parrot a false talking point and then manage to bitch about fake news in the same sentence.

Yer a funny guy or is it girl ? 

51 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

For sake of clarity, were they Communist Gulags when Barack was President?

You crazy. Clearly they magically appeared when racist trump took office and couldn’t possibly have been the result of years of mismanagement of border and immigration policy.

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Were you able to tour the Nazi concentration camps at a point in time where they had existed for, say, 6 months?  Because I'll posit that your hindsight is coloring your perspective.

That's a good point-- and again let me express that (for haydenhorn as well who seems to be confused about my position) I, too, am outraged at the border proceedings going on currently and in no way, passively or actively, support what is going on.

There is still a massive difference, in concept, design and execution, of proactively rounding up a specific race of people, from different countries, and working them to their literal death for profit to fuel a political machine and what is going on at the border (which is still bad) where people are dying (very bad) in detention camps because a country doesn't want them inside.

Again, as someone who has recently visited the area my bias and coloring is to see a huge difference; maybe people like Hayden don't think of it that way and maybe they are ultimately right and I'm still just emotionally disturbed by the visit, but my thinking is to use the term concentration camp is to try and create an equivilance between Auschiwitz and Nuevo Laredo and it's emotionally dishonest

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

You’ve seen his diet and you think he drinks Diet Coke? I bet he’s got one of those diet coke sleeves meant for hiding beer cans and puts it over an original coke.

I wonder which coke he was drinking when he raped all those chicks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

That's a good point-- and again let me express that (for haydenhorn as well who seems to be confused about my position) I, too, am outraged at the border proceedings going on currently and in no way, passively or actively, support what is going on.

There is still a massive difference, in concept, design and execution, of proactively rounding up a specific race of people, from different countries, and working them to their literal death for profit to fuel a political machine and what is going on at the border (which is still bad) where people are dying (very bad) in detention camps because a country doesn't want them inside.

Again, as someone who has recently visited the area my bias and coloring is to see a huge difference; maybe people like Hayden don't think of it that way and maybe they are ultimately right and I'm still just emotionally disturbed by the visit, but my thinking is to use the term concentration camp is to try and create an equivilance between Auschiwitz and Nuevo Laredo and it's emotionally dishonest

look, i'm sympathetic to the emotional trauma of visiting auschwitz, so please don't take my posts as an ultimate attack on you personally.

bikenau was a death camp. that was its complete raison d'etre. seeing the inhuman indecency that happened there can rock your soul.

but words do have meaning. we are imprisoning these people, when we don't have to do so. and we are doing so with a stark lack of humanity. it's a concentration camp. the purpose is to be punitive. we don't have to treat these people like this. ultimately, we don't even have to let them into our country. but in the interim, we could treat them with compassion. 

why are we not doing that?

because the cruelty is the point. that's why the concentration camp definition is true, and, frankly, it's why it bothers people. folks don't like uncomfortable truths. take a look at he american statesman thread on the current events board. 

i would posit that if the concentration camp nomenclature bothers us, it's because it's telling us truths about ourselves that we don't want to confront.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

That's all well and good but let me make two additional points:

1.  Auschwitz and the like were a subset of what are properly called "concentration camps".  You can say it's an academic distinction, or you can accept it as precision, I don't care.  Yes, there is a political component to the use of the phrase.  It doesn't make it wrong, nor does it make it a foolish assertion.

2.  what the left is engaging in is a classic "slippery slope" argument.  Again, that doesn't make their assertions wrong.  The right has argued for years that more stringent gun laws would put us on a slippery slope towards a total ban.  Now, they don't like the same strategy being used by the left, in that (disregarding for a moment the horrors that have already occurred on the border), there is real concern that Trump would actually support and even attempt to enact exterminations in those camps.  What are the odds?  I don't know.  The guy surprises me regularly.  I suspect the odds of it HAPPENING are probably less than 1% simply because I know there are too many good people who would muck up the works, but the odds that Trump himself would favor such activity?  Oh, 25% or so.  I'm probably being generous in his favor, too.  So, yes, the use of "concentration camps" is technically accurate and politically charged, but it's also born of a real fear that we SAW what happened when good Germans stood idly by in the late 1930s, and it's a terrifying extrapolation to imagine that happening here.  Plus, kids and their parents are already dying on the border, so we got that goin' for us.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I wonder which coke he was drinking when he raped all those chicks.

Yea that’s gonna be a big no from me dawg. Based on the last two looney tunes democrats have given a microphone I’m gonna go out on a limb here and call bullshit.  

No biggie though. I’m sure democrats will think of a new scandal you can jump on after trump gets re-elected.

Just now, Enchubben said:

Yea that’s gonna be a big no from me dawg. Based on the last two looney tunes democrats have given a microphone I’m gonna go out on a limb here and call bullshit.  

No biggie though. I’m sure democrats will think of a new scandal you can jump on after trump gets re-elected.

Two?

LOL

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

1.  Auschwitz and the like were a subset of what are properly called "concentration camps".  You can say it's an academic distinction, or you can accept it as precision, I don't care.  Yes, there is a political component to the use of the phrase.  It doesn't make it wrong, nor does it make it a foolish assertion.

2.  what the left is engaging in is a classic "slippery slope" argument.  Again, that doesn't make their assertions wrong.  The right has argued for years that more stringent gun laws would put us on a slippery slope towards a total ban.  Now, they don't like the same strategy being used by the left, in that (disregarding for a moment the horrors that have already occurred on the border), there is real concern that Trump would actually support and even attempt to enact exterminations in those camps.  What are the odds?  I don't know.  The guy surprises me regularly.  I suspect the odds of it HAPPENING are probably less than 1% simply because I know there are too many good people who would muck up the works, but the odds that Trump himself would favor such activity?  Oh, 25% or so.  I'm probably being generous in his favor, too.  So, yes, the use of "concentration camps" is technically accurate and politically charged, but it's also born of a real fear that we SAW what happened when good Germans stood idly by in the late 1930s, and it's a terrifying extrapolation to imagine that happening here.  Plus, kids and their parents are already dying on the border, so we got that goin' for us.

the guy is the most comfortable when he's acting like a dictator. he's in his element when he's ranting at a rally, surrounded by sycophants. his cabinet is full of sycophants. he shares a number of characteristics with a megalomaniac dictator.

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Rofl rofl rofl yeah im sure he and his buddy jeff epstein never raped any underage girls together. Suuuuuure.

Fucking little girls dude. And you defend this despicable piece of shit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I still think this is disingenuous bullshit. But, assuming for a second that you are engaging in good faith here, how can you just overlook Hayden's posts about how the Nazi concentration started and not see frightening parallels? We create the rhetorical connection not to be emotionally dishonest, but to emphasize a scary truth - this is how it starts, and there is a very real danger that if we don't stop it, we careen down the same slope as Germany did. 

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Holy shit, yes all  these women have gone on record publicly just because they like getting death threats from people you cape for. 

50 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

That's false.  Trump was talking about the specific Unite the Right rally, not the general debate over the statue, and his argument was that good people can and did join with white supremacists and neo-Nazis for non-racist reasons.  And the reason he took so much heat for it is that (1) Trump was making up the whole distinction among the actual people who protested that night, so he was covering for actual white supremacists, and (2) Any such distinction is illegitimate, because if you join with Nazis for any reason you are not a very fine person. 

This

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

1.  Auschwitz and the like were a subset of what is properly called a "concentration camp".  You can call it an academic distinction, or you can call it precision, I don't care.  Yes, there is a political component to the use of the phrase.  It doesn't make it wrong, nor does it make it a foolish assertion.

2.  what the left is engaging in is a classic "slippery slope" argument.  Again, that doesn't make them wrong.  The right has argued for years that more stringent gun laws would put us on a slippery slope towards a total ban.  Now, they don't like the same strategy being used by the left, in that (disregarding for a moment the horrors that have already occurred on the border), there is real concern that Trump would actually support and even attempt to enact exterminations in those camps.  What are the odds?  I don't know.  The guy surprises me regularly.  I suspect the odds of it HAPPENING are probably less than 1% simply because I know there are too many good people who would muck up the works, but the odds that Trump himself would favor such activity?  Oh, 25% or so.  I'm probably being generous in his favor, too.  So, yes, the use of "concentration camps" is technically accurate and politically charged, but it's also born of a real fear that we SAW what happened when good Germans stood idly by in the late 1930s, and it's a terrifying extrapolation to imagine that happening here.  Plus, kids and their parents are already dying on the border, so we got that goin' for us.

All very fair points and Hayden thanks for your input and follow-up as well. I agree completely with your 2nd point and even had the thought that Germany and America are/were probably the only countries that could pull off the death factory that was the Final Solution stuff Germany was doing.

My take on the concentration camp semantics issue is:

(1) Yes, the camps we are running fall within the definition of "concentration camp."

(2) One can reasonably argue that they fell within that definition in 2014 and 2015.   One can also reasonably argue that they did not cross the line until a number of recent policies were enacted to intentionally target migrants for maltreatment. 

(3) In common usage now, the term carries connotations of the Nazi's particular use of concentration camps, which was far worse than what we are doing here. 

(4) Opponents of our current immigration policies are aware of that, and are using it to bring awareness to the horrible things are actually doing. 

(5) Good. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The refusal to compare what we're doing to nazi concentration camps until we're literally gassing people in our camps is how things could end up getting that bad.

"Never again" means we can never let something like that happen again and must stop it before it gets that far (ideally before it even begins, but we're past that point now).  Too many people right now are acting as if it means that we can literally never compare anything else to nazi concentration camps until we're gassing thousands of people in ours, but that's ridiculous because by that point it's too late to stop.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

it wasn't fucking edited.  the only people on one of those sides was nazis.  that's it. they were marching and chanting 'jews will not replace us.'   who among those people is very fine?  if you're not a nazi and the people around you start chanting 'jews will not replace us' and you don't run the fuck the other direction, what are you?

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

it wasn't fucking edited.  the only people on one of those sides was nazis.  that's it. they were marching and chanting 'jews will not replace us.'   who among those people is very fine? 

Well, duh.  Some of them, I assume.

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it wasn't fucking edited.  the only people on one of those sides was nazis.  that's it. they were marching and chanting 'jews will not replace us.'   who among those people is very fine?  if you're not a nazi and the people around you start chanting 'jews will not replace us' and you don't run the fuck the other direction, what are you?

A dishonest, racist, rape enabling piece of shit. That's what.

Edited by Pam Cummings

23 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it wasn't fucking edited.  the only people on one of those sides was nazis.  that's it. they were marching and chanting 'jews will not replace us.'   who among those people is very fine? 

Well, ya see, there were all these history buffs who aren't racist at all, and some of their best friends are black, and they really cared about confederate statues for non-racist reasons.  So they heard that Richard Spencer was throwing a white supremacist rally supporting the statues for racist reasons, and they thought it would be great to join forces with the Nazis even though they aren't at all racist themselves.  And then they arrived and thought, hey why don't we walk with those fellows over there with the tiki torches chanting about Jews, because we forgot to bring our own flashlights and we need some light.   And then Trump knew that this really happened, and wanted to make sure that everyone knew what was really important about the violent events leading to Heather Heyer's death, which is that there were some great history buffs caught up in the mix. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez