overlanding

blacklab

Anyone else into overlanding? I know there's a few sprinter folks here.

Going to take the FJ to someplace in June. Built a bed last weekend, ordered a mattress, spare gas cans, some locks to lock the various stuff that will be on the roof rack down.

Found this site:

https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/

that has a bunch of routes to try along with downloadable maps that you can put in an app. Planning on joining so I can download all the maps.

Deciding between the area around Guadalupe Peak/Southern NM

https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/post/guadalupe-mountains-adventure-trail

image.png

or this one, taking dirt roads from just outside Santa Fe to the Colorado border:

https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/post/carson-santafe-backcountry-discovery-trail

image.png

Have downloaded two different apps for mapping, Gaia GPS and onX offroad. I think I like Gaia better.

Anyone else do this?

What am I forgetting?

I have full size spare, shovel, pick axe, traction boards, big jack, winch, spare gas cans, tire patch kit, 12v air compressor, first aid kit, tow rope, emergency jump starter, crow bar, tools, 

• Hook 'Em 1

Can you carry enough fuel with some reserves? - would be my #1 concern.  Mechanical breakdown would be 2nd.  But, yeah, I see the appeal of turning off the cell phone and spending many days away from it all.

That’s probably my biggest worry.
Bought two 2.5 gallon rotopax gas cans. I thought I’d try to figure out the half way point of the trip and if I hit half a tank before I get there I’d turn around. 

I wouldn’t say I’m really into overlanding, but I do sleep in the back of my truck a lot.  I’m posting from the bed in the back of my truck right now actually..  It’s a long bed Tacoma. I have an exped mattress on top of a drawer in the back.  Midrise camper shell with screened. windows,and a fan clamped to the screen.   Fridge, solar, etc…

Before the Tacoma, I had an LX 470 that’s posted up in Toyota thread. Similar set up with a bed and drawers in the back of it.  I’ve taken it up through Colorado and a little bit of Utah a couple of times. Other more local trips like Big Bend a few times.  Big Bend Ranch SP is good for that type of thing. Some of those campsites deep in the park are a good 30 miles or more from the pavement.  

I wish we had more public land here for dispersed camping.

Look into a Garmin InReach or equivalent for off grid comms and emergency beacon. Carry 1+ gal drinking water per person per day and a reserve. Calculate fuel like in a boat going offshore fishing. 1/3 tank for the trip out and trolling, 1/3 trip in, 1/3 reserve for emergencies.

• Hook 'Em 3

We'll be doing some this summer when Austin turns into the 5th level of hell. Probably some of the same areas as Bob is thinking about.

The CCV top has a queen size bed and the dogs have a fully padded bench area in the back.

image.thumb.png.b0501474325019267fa37f5c361c03bb.png

• Hook 'Em 6

Make sure your compressor is heavy duty enough. I've nearly been stranded because of relying on a cheap light duty one. I'd also look into something you could buryor some sort of heavy bag you could fill with dirt/sand/rocks and attach your winch to in the event there isn't anything else. 

It’s handled blowing up all 4 tires from 10 psi to 35 psi after a day of off-roading. I have considered getting a small hand held that uses the same battery as my impact wrench as a back up. 

Yes, pretty desolate out there without many trees. I can’t imagine how much dirt/rocks you’d need to pile up to use for a winch. I have seen matt’s off road recovery us big rocks to tie off with various levels of success. They have moved around some big rocks they were using for anchors. Maybe some spikes you can hammer into the ground? 

Huh, Learned something new today. 
searched on google and sure enough “land anchors” are a thing

IMG_2568.jpeg

We get a lot of over landers up my way.  The Denali Highway (Paxson to Cantwell) is a popular destination with all of the side trails available to explore.

Tourists are starting to show up now.  Tourist season will be in full swing by June with the very mild weather we've been experiencing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blacklab said:

It’s handled blowing up all 4 tires from 10 psi to 35 psi after a day of off-roading. I have considered getting a small hand held that uses the same battery as my impact wrench as a back up. 

Yes, pretty desolate out there without many trees. I can’t imagine how much dirt/rocks you’d need to pile up to use for a winch. I have seen matt’s off road recovery us big rocks to tie off with various levels of success. They have moved around some big rocks they were using for anchors. Maybe some spikes you can hammer into the ground? 

Huh, Learned something new today. 
searched on google and sure enough “land anchors” are a thing

IMG_2568.jpeg

Depending on what kind of ground you're on, I've seen guys use a spare tire as an anchor point. Dig a deep and narrow hole, run the recovery strap through the center of the wheel, then drop it vertically into the hole. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo

On 5/9/2024 at 6:54 PM, blacklab said:

Just be aware, you can only contact emergency services via iPhone satellite feature. An inreach device allows you to contact emergency services as well as friends/family. 

Being stuck doesn't always play fair.  Some situations will not allow to winch forward, you may need to winch backwards.  I'd recommend a winch set up that can be used on a front bumper that has a place for a receiver hitch and same on the back.  If nothing else, get a snatch block.  You can use to double line, pull from odd angles and hang venison from a tree to dress it out. 

9 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Being stuck doesn't always play fair.  Some situations will not allow to winch forward, you may need to winch backwards.  I'd recommend a winch set up that can be used on a front bumper that has a place for a receiver hitch and same on the back.  If nothing else, get a snatch block.  You can use to double line, pull from odd angles and hang venison from a tree to dress it out. 

-ofDiQ.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1