Texas @University of Central Florida Series Thread

petscii

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That was an uncharacteristic outing from Boehm and he still found a way. Big time from him.

Wasn't entirely his fault. Had several strikes right down the middle that were called balls. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We need to figure out who our 3rd and 4th options out of the pen will be if we want this thing to go anywhere in the postseason.

My guess is Tumis and Hurley are given chances in the next few days in high leverage spots.

Posted (edited)

Meant to mention this earlier but Pierce said this week he thinks LBJ has been tipping pitches. He said the issue popped up about 3 weeks and they’ve been working with him to fix it but he thought it popped back up again in the 5th last week when OSU opened the floodgates.

Edited by Hookem2147

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Meant to mention this earlier but Pierce said this week he thinks LBJ has been tipping pitches. He said the issue popped up about 3 weeks and they’ve been working with him to fix it but he thought it popped back up again in the 5th last week when OSU opened the floodgates.

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

Edited by hobbes2702

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That sounds more like a manager covering for his player but I respect it

• Hook 'Em 4

56 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

That umpire didn’t call an inside pitch that a Texas P a strike all game. Pretty shitty zone

He didn't seem to be doing UCF any real favors at the plate either...

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We need to figure out who our 3rd and 4th options out of the pen will be if we want this thing to go anywhere in the postseason.

My guess is Tumis and Hurley are given chances in the next few days in high leverage spots.

I don’t think we’ll be structured that way.  It’ll most likely be situational.  I have hard time believing that Tumis or Hurley get the call against a lefty lineup for say an inning.  Lummus or Hurley make the most sense in long relief as we’ve seen them extended previously.  DP is probably playing the analytics game so there may be odd looking decisions based on that.  Shaw will likely factor into the equation.

Speculating on the approach from tonight’s game would have seen Duplantier go another inning or maybe finish had it gone that well.  But I think he was going Boehm in the 8th and 9th and have each of them once more this weekend.

Tomorrow will be interesting if Ace doesn’t go deep into the game.  If he doesn’t, it probably is Tumis or Hurley.

12 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I don’t think we’ll be structured that way.  It’ll most likely be situational.  I have hard time believing that Tumis or Hurley get the call against a lefty lineup for say an inning.  Lummus or Hurley make the most sense in long relief as we’ve seen them extended previously.  DP is probably playing the analytics game so there may be odd looking decisions based on that.  Shaw will likely factor into the equation.

Speculating on the approach from tonight’s game would have seen Duplantier go another inning or maybe finish had it gone that well.  But I think he was going Boehm in the 8th and 9th and have each of them once more this weekend.

Tomorrow will be interesting if Ace doesn’t go deep into the game.  If he doesn’t, it probably is Tumis or Hurley.

Depending on how the next 5 games go I would probably sit Ace for the Big 12 tournament and would be reluctant to pitch Gage as well. Need both those guys as fresh and as healthy as possible come regional time. Next weekend is when I would test and see just how long Gage can go, start Lebarron game 3 against Kansas, hope he gives you 3 or 4 and then go straight to Gage and see how long he can go.

Duplantier is a 1 inning guy most outings, if he is on he might be able to give you two. Tumis has a good slider with him its about fastball command but he probably has the best stuff of the rest of the guys in the back of the bullpen.

As far as lefties I would lean Shaw first out of the pen but all of them are pretty much close your eyes and cross your fingers. Lummus has statistically been good but he has gotten some fortunate BABIP luck.

Hurley to me is pretty much the if shit goes south guy, I think he is pretty much just the LBJ insurance policy at this point.

6 hours ago, chase25 said:

Depending on how the next 5 games go I would probably sit Ace for the Big 12 tournament and would be reluctant to pitch Gage as well. Need both those guys as fresh and as healthy as possible come regional time. Next weekend is when I would test and see just how long Gage can go, start Lebarron game 3 against Kansas, hope he gives you 3 or 4 and then go straight to Gage and see how long he can go.

Duplantier is a 1 inning guy most outings, if he is on he might be able to give you two. Tumis has a good slider with him its about fastball command but he probably has the best stuff of the rest of the guys in the back of the bullpen.

As far as lefties I would lean Shaw first out of the pen but all of them are pretty much close your eyes and cross your fingers. Lummus has statistically been good but he has gotten some fortunate BABIP luck.

Hurley to me is pretty much the if shit goes south guy, I think he is pretty much just the LBJ insurance policy at this point.

Unfortunately we don’t have a postseason birth locked up so we may have to play to win in the Big 12 tourney.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t be concerned about the tourney.  Whether we are a 2 or 3 seed in a regional doesn’t matter.  I’m not sure a 4 would matter either.  It might even be better as we’d get Grubbs versus the #1 seed.

For me, I’d rather have Gage for 2, 3 games a weekend than 1 one extended game.  I’m not a fan of guys trying things they’re not accustomed to when it matters.  Early season is fine.  It’s not even about him as I think mentally he’s good out of structure but what happens the next game when other guys are having to fill roles they aren’t accustomed to filling.

We are going to need a surprise or two or three in the post season.  Yes, I’d say Shaw is the first lefty out of the pen, but 4th inning versus 7th inning may make a difference whether it’s him or Lummus.  I’m reasonably satisfied with the options we have.  I’m not sure there are any wrong choices on who is used and when, but that’s in part because there aren’t many definitive correct choices.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, chase25 said:

100% agree with resting or limiting Whitehead and Boehm in the Big 12 tournament assuming we have very little to play for. We win this series and Kansas, I think we are locked into a 2 seed no matter what. Lose one of these series and we are probably a 3 seed. Lose both and nevermind. 

I would include Grubbs in that as well. Both he and Whitehead are going to blow by their career high in innings pitched. Maybe you don’t fully sit them, but I’m not going more than 60-75 pitches.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

We are pretty safely in right now barring a 5 game collapse. And we would be left out before we were a 4 seed. We need to keep winning so we can be a 2 at an easy regional. 

Aka try to play well enough to force the committee to not send us to A&M or Arky.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

We are pretty safely in right now barring a 5 game collapse. And we would be left out before we were a 4 seed. We need to keep winning so we can be a 2 at an easy regional. 

That’s quite the confidence.  I’d agree we’re comfortably in as of now but a 2-5 finish that allows WVU back in front of us and allows Cincy to jump us.  Who knows.

Up to 44 in RPI, but more importantly we are creating some separation in RPI points with the teams behind us. We are 48 RPI points ahead of the #50 RPI team which is Troy, and for reference we would lose 13 RPI points with a loss today. Lots of moving parts because of the other teams play games too, but we have built a little cushion.

If you want to get pissed, based on my calculations if we had the UTRGV and A&M Corpus games in the win column, we would be around 30th in RPI right now.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

YeQSsUCNvqya.gif

If Washington had performed as well as they did last year.   They've really had the ball not bounce their way against any team but Texas.

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

So Pierce has a late run of wins to save his job, keeps himself as pitching coach too and we’re stuck with ok teams that have no chance of winning it all for years to come…. 

Take the win pussy.

12 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

So Pierce has a late run of wins to save his job, keeps himself as pitching coach too and we’re stuck with ok teams that have no chance of winning it all for years to come…. 

Highly doubt CDC is waiting on a decision based upon if we sneak into a regional. Texas should never be hoping and praying to make the tournament, let alone with no chance of hosting. CDC knows this. We let Herman go after a winning season and a bowl win 

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, Balcones said:

I think we have a chance at hosting. Win out and win the Big 12.  Win few games in the Big 12 tourney. We’ll host IMO. 

We only have 5 games left. 

Nope. Zero chance. Not happening.

Stop kidding yourself.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Balcones said:

I think we have a chance at hosting. Win out and win the Big 12.  Win few games in the Big 12 tourney. We’ll host IMO. 

Nope. We are lucky to even be making the tournament with 8 Q4 losses. That is an insane amount. Every team in position to host has no more than 2 or 3.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nope. We are lucky to even be making the tournament with 8 Q4 losses. That is an insane amount. Every team in position to host has no more than 2 or 3.

I also think bid thievery may come in to play as well.  keeping some 3 seeds out.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Balcones said:

22 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Nope. Zero chance. Not happening.

Stop kidding yourself.

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No chance. Three games behind OU with five remaining. 

Texas could win out and win the conference tournament and still wouldn’t host. Even with something like that, the Q4 losses prevent Texas from being a top-20 RPI team. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Highly doubt CDC is waiting on a decision based upon if we sneak into a regional. Texas should never be hoping and praying to make the tournament, let alone with no chance of hosting. CDC knows this. We let Herman go after a winning season and a bowl win 

I have no inside info, just a general feel given the decisions made around the baseball program the last two years. Every win gets worse for CDC, because Pierce is putting them in an uncomfortable situation.

People need to quit comparing Pierce to Strong (which is delusional) and Herman (which is stupid). Neither of those guys are in the same stratosphere as Pierce. 

CDC is 100% waiting to see what happens because had the wheels come off the decision is easy and there is less pressure and push back if you can him. Firing guys like Herman and Strong are easy, you fire someone who has made it to Omaha 3 out of 6 years and has won 3 conference titles in 6 years, you better be damn sure you have your guy because if you whiff there are going to be a lot of questions being asked about firing a pretty successful coach because some individuals around the program didn’t like him personally.

• Hook 'Em 1

I still think the decision is easy.   The program is not healthy.  Why?  Mainly because of decisions made by Pierce.  If you want to chalk some of it up to bad luck and then hang your hat on the classes that are currently signed or committed then I can understand that.  But I think you are only forestalling.   The pitching cupboard is bare and barring an Insane portal haul next year will be an absolute beating, followed by a firing.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don’t know what the RPI reflected historically, but there are a number of highly rated teams with losing conference records.

We may have a large number of Q4 losses, but the next highest rated team with a winning Q1 record is Miss State at 22.  Four top 10 in the RPI have losing Q1 records.

TCU at 28 with a losing conference record.  OU is top 20 but 11-11 in non-conference.

Xavier at 25 at only 5 games over .500  and only 4 games over in conference.  Coastal Carolina at 30 and 2 games under .500 in the Sun Belt.

Our winning percentage in Q1-Q3 games looks to be amongst top 15.  If we win out, we absolutely have an argument to host.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Correct. Redshirt junior this year. Covid in 2020 and medical redshirt in 2021.

He is an interesting piece because I would assume he comes back unless he just decides to hang up the cleats.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I don’t know what the RPI reflected historically, but there are a number of highly rated teams with losing conference records.

We may have a large number of Q4 losses, but the next highest rated team with a winning Q1 record is Miss State at 22.  Four top 10 in the RPI have losing Q1 records.

TCU at 28 with a losing conference record.  OU is top 20 but 11-11 in non-conference.

Xavier at 25 at only 5 games over .500  and only 4 games over in conference.  Coastal Carolina at 30 and 2 games under .500 in the Sun Belt.

Our winning percentage in Q1-Q3 games looks to be amongst top 15.  If we win out, we absolutely have an argument to host.

Historically, you have to have a top 20 RPI and be at least a few games over .500 in your league to host.

I don’t disagree that certain parts of our resume are good enough to host. But we won’t sniff a top 20 RPI because of the Q4 losses and RPI is basically the default metric used whenever the committee is making decisions.