CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

4 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

UCLA is not a premier job hell they aren't even a 2nd tier job but they are on the level of Rutgers or Maryland. They can have coaching scraps or pluck a young up and comer who will leave them for a better job in a few years if he does well.

bullshit.  Donohue stayed there 20 years.  

UCLA can be/should be like North Carolina.  A basketball school, in a great location, with great academics.   They should/could be good enough to be a playoff team every few years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

UCLA can be/should be like North Carolina.  A basketball school, in a great location, with great academics.   They should/could be good enough to be a playoff team every few years. 

That was 30 years ago about the last time they won their conference. Its only gonna get worse in the Big 10, they are a basketball school in a great location with great academics and that's all they want to be. Wooden uber alles

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Lol, no.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Hookem10 said:

ol buttchin falling upwards.....deal with the devil in full affect after saban's contract was up 

Why did O'Brien take a demotion from anOSU?

15 hours ago, Left Coast said:

I think divorce papers would only be filed if it was Tuscaloosa->Seattle->Tuscaloosa.

Wives file in the blue state.

He's an alum and was an excellent CF player. 

RB's coach to HC is and interesting career path.  Under any other circumstance the AD probably would be risking his/her job on this hire.  But, the events of last week put UCLA in a really big bind(understatement).

It's a terrible hire and will lead to more years of UCLA being a doormat and presenting no challenge to teams on their schedule with whom we're competing in regard to the CFP. It's a fucking joke. They'll go 5-7, 4-8, and 2-10 before retreading someone else following him. They should have just dug the rotting corpse of Bob Toledo out of his pinebox, reanimated him, and seen if that ghoul couldn't keep their disinterested program afloat by stirring the echoes of the last time they were relevant. It's irritating.

• Haha 4
  • Prepare your anus 1

Probably going to flame out spectacularly, but man UCLA was in a bad spot. Not sure what better options they had. What a first rate asshole Chip Kelly is. 

The UCLA job shouldn't be that difficult. NIL notwithstanding, that should be just about the easiest place to recruit to in the country. They are the second biggest fish in a huge pond and now with the Big 10 push behind them, they should at least field competent teams with even an replacement level coach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's a terrible hire and will lead to more years of UCLA being a doormat and presenting no challenge to teams on their schedule with whom we're competing in regard to the CFP. It's a fucking joke. They'll go 5-7, 4-8, and 2-10 before retreading someone else following him. They should have just dug the rotting corpse of Bob Toledo out of his pinebox, reanimated him, and seen if that ghoul couldn't keep their disinterested program afloat by stirring the echoes of the last time they were relevant. It's irritating.

Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

20 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Probably going to flame out spectacularly, but man UCLA was in a bad spot. Not sure what better options they had. What a first rate asshole Chip Kelly is. 

The UCLA job shouldn't be that difficult. NIL notwithstanding, that should be just about the easiest place to recruit to in the country. They are the second biggest fish in a huge pond and now with the Big 10 push behind them, they should at least field competent teams with even an replacement level coach.

They should have fired Chip at the end of the season. They could have had Fisch.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Why you gotta go and kill Bob Toledo? Man ain't pushing daisies yet.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Tony White or Troy Taylor both reciprocated interest and certainly would've been better hires. It's weird in that they made a kind of Rodney Terry type hire that will keep the current players happy, but they don't really have any players that are worth keeping happy. Genuinely would've been better off tearing it down to the studs with Tony White and going from there. With respect to NIL, there's actually a decent amount of money guys who have been on the sidelines and said they would not contribute as long as CK was there. Not sure that Foster will move the needle there, but if he's willing to have a few drinks/hit the links with those guys it'll be a major improvement. The current administration seems to want UCLA to become Cal which is bizarre. 

49 minutes ago, John80 said:

UCLA and North Carolina have little fan interest in football so they are mediocre with the occasional good season.

Thats offensive to me for some reason. Maybe I'm projecting my Texan perspective of prioritizing quality football on these coastal programs. Maybe it’s the 38 time NCAA 14 Dynasty Championship Head Coach in me. I just see so much potential in those two programs. They both have so much going for them. Especially North Carolina, disruptive defensive linemen grow on trees in that state. 

Honestly, if it wasn’t for the peculiar timing of vacancy at UCLA, I might have thrown my hat in the ring for the job. I have many connections in Southern California. I can touch down in LAX this evening and link up with at least three bitches by Tuesday morning. 

they should have solidified their football program as the west coast version of aggy and gone "full jimbo" on Deion.....I think $12 million per year guaranteed for 10 years would have gotten is done

they also could have done one final "PAC 12" type hire and gone after David Shaw or Clay Helton.....the PAC 12 loves retreads and conference coaching inbreeding more than even the SEC SEC SEC

22 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Not sure accurate... but on a YouTube podcast yesterday, one theory is ucla did not want to pay for buyouts of assistants.  Foster was willing to agree to hang on to some of thr existing coaching staff under contract.

Basically take your shot DeShaun but you're on a short leash -- probably only gets 2yrs to show real progress.

Then...

giphy.gif

(Also... Supposedly Foster previously asked to be Chip's replacement if Chip resigned, but someone at ucla said no -- so Foster left to take the LV Raiders RB coaching position.

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure accurate... but on a YouTube podcast yesterday, one theory is ucla did not want to pay for buyouts of assistants.  Foster was willing to agree to hang on to some of thr existing coaching staff under contract.

Wouldn't surprise anyone. Chip had just got his assistants 2 year extensions. Ken Norton Jr just left for the Commanders. Their RB, TE, and ILB positions are open.

9 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Wouldn't surprise anyone. Chip had just got his assistants 2 year extensions. Ken Norton Jr just left for the Commanders. Their RB, TE, and ILB positions are open.

Smart move for KN Jr

Edited by LTtxfan

19 hours ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

Tony White or Troy Taylor both reciprocated interest and certainly would've been better hires. It's weird in that they made a kind of Rodney Terry type hire that will keep the current players happy, but they don't really have any players that are worth keeping happy. Genuinely would've been better off tearing it down to the studs with Tony White and going from there. 

Shut Your Mouth Reaction GIF

I like Tony White just fine where he is at currently

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

https://uga.rivals.com/news/scott-cochran-no-longer-on-staff

"Resigned to pursue other opportunities"

A few of us were hosted by friends working for Bama in 2014 at their game against UF. It was an overall great experience outside of the unrelenting heat with no shade. That said, easily the most bizarre part of the whole thing was that they had this guy's face up close on the jumbotron, shouting chants and yells at everyone to pump the crowd up during breaks. I had this image of Mad Dog doing similar shit and just cringed. My friends were next door neighbors with the Cochrans in Tuscaloosa and the families were very close. When Cochran broached the subject of joining Kirby Smart, it was viewed as an act of betrayal. They basically begged him not to leave, but he went in the next day and told Saban.

Cochran to UGA was supposed to be a big deal for Bama. As always with Saban, as long as Saban was there, none of the other shit truly mattered. 

My buddies hung out with Saban on Monday. He looks like he's 20 years younger all of the sudden. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Sounds like he's gone through some stuff over the last few years.  It's an odd move for a strength coach to switch to special teams.  Then he quit for mental health reasons in 2021 only to come back an quit again.

Edited by kevwun

Did Coach Prime cost too much? UCLA seems like a great fit for his personality and I think his kid could transfer again without penalty. It seems NIL opportunity in LA could be an open spigot for someone like Prime, way more than Boulder, CO.

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Did Coach Prime cost too much? UCLA seems like a great fit for his personality and I think his kid could transfer again without penalty. It seems NIL opportunity in LA could be an open spigot for someone like Prime, way more than Boulder, CO.

No thanks.  I think Prime is a charlatan. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

image.png.7d9f0600e1bfe669596a831f44b4a7b4.png

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Don’t think he could transfer again, unless the same young man who hasn’t attended a class at CU somehow already has his undergrad degree.

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

You would be mistaken.

He could transfer again, of course, but what makes you think he’d be immediately eligible (to play this fall)?

The injunction requires that Sanders enroll at UCLA during the 2023-24  academic year to be eligible this fall… which would be impossible unless UCLA has 8-week semesters.

Again, all that out the window if he has his degree (or he wants to roll the dice that the NCAA caves by May and eliminates the multiple-transfer restriction).

Edited by Ghost of TripsRight

Another FBS head coach is leaving for a coordinator and/or position coaching job in college football, as Georgia State's Shawn Elliott has agreed to return to South Carolina as tight ends coach and run game coordinator.

"This was not a professional move, but a personal move," Elliott told ESPN. "We've made it work for seven years with my family still living in Columbia, and I even thought about not coaching this year. I had promised my daughter that I would be there for her senior year of high school and when this opportunity came up to go back to South Carolina and coach again, it was something I couldn't pass up. I've always loved South Carolina."

Elliott informed his staff and the players at Georgia State on Thursday morning that he was leaving.

"They've been coming in here ever since. We laughed together and cried together. I'm proud of what we've done here," Elliott said.

Georgia State athletic director Charlie Cobb said in a statement that the remainder of spring football practices and the school's Spring Game have been postponed in the wake of Elliott's departure.

Elliott is originally from Camden, South Carolina, and coached on South Carolina's staff from 2010-16 and worked alongside current South Carolina coach Shane Beamer on the Gamecocks' 2010 staff. Elliott's family has remained in Columbia the whole time he coached at Georgia State and he has a son playing high school football in Columbia and a daughter who's a high school cheerleader. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39531826/georgia-state-hc-shawn-elliott-joins-south-carolina-staff