The Wizard reigns eternal at Kansas State, receives new five-year deal

Machinator

Lots of people would rather work until they die. My dad worked with plenty of engineers who worked into their 70's/80's and died while still employed at his company. I think Snyder has it pretty easy too compared to most coaches. He's basically a king wizard at ksu with the same expectations that Ferentz has at Iowa. Win 7-9 games most years, occasionally win 10. Bring in top 50 recruiting classes. If he can win 8 games a year he should stay as long as he wants. Besides, 80 is the new 60.

23 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

Lots of people would rather work until they die. My dad worked with plenty of engineers who worked into their 70's/80's and died while still employed at his company. I think Snyder has it pretty easy too compared to most coaches. He's basically a king wizard at ksu with the same expectations that Ferentz has at Iowa. Win 7-9 games most years, occasionally win 10. Bring in top 50 recruiting classes. If he can win 8 games a year he should stay as long as he wants. Besides, 80 is the new 60.

Except he's doing it at Kstate who should be happy to win 6/7 games and Ferentz is stealing money from Iowa, running what should be a B1G contender...but never really is.  

17 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Except he's doing it at Kstate who should be happy to win 6/7 games and Ferentz is stealing money from Iowa, running what should be a B1G contender...but never really is.  

Perhaps but at this point I think expectations are about the same for the two programs. I mean I'm not sure that they should have different expectations. Two mostly rural states with pretty poor in state recruiting, not really close to any recruiting hotbeds. Not a lot of history or brand appeal. Cold snowy winters in Iowa in the middle of nowhere. I mean Ferentz just led Iowa to 12 wins a few years ago and almost never has a losing season. Is that really much to complain about if you are an Iowa fan?

Edited by Surlybastard
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

Perhaps but at this point I think expectations are about the same for the two programs. I mean I'm not sure that they should have different expectations. Two mostly rural states with pretty poor in state recruiting, not really close to any recruiting hotbeds. Not a lot of history or brand appeal. Cold snowy winters in Iowa in the middle of nowhere. I mean Ferentz just led Iowa to 12 wins a few years ago and almost never has a losing season. Is that really much to complain about if you are an Iowa fan?

They're the premier program in Iowa where football reigns king (sorry Iowa St).  Kstate should be taking a backseat to KU and the only reason they don't is because of the wizard.  If you talk to any Iowa fan they'll blow a gasket reading your post - it's not misrepresenting the current situation but most agree Iowa 'should' have more expectations than Kstate.  Not saying you're wrong as this is all perception. 

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Why should Iowa be a big10 contender? They are a historical .500 team with 15 bowl wins to their name. They have 5 conference championships since 1960. 

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They're the premier program in Iowa where football reigns king (sorry Iowa St).  Kstate should be taking a backseat to KU and the only reason they don't is because of the wizard.  If you talk to any Iowa fan they'll blow a gasket reading your post - it's not misrepresenting the current situation but most agree Iowa 'should' have more expectations than Kstate.  Not saying you're wrong as this is all perception. 

Iowa could probably do better than they have, but what exactly is their ceiling? Wisconsin?

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Should ksu take a backseat to KU in fb? I don't know what basis that would be on. KU has had 100 years to develop a decent fb program and never could. Then the Wizard swooped into Manhattan and started peeling off 9-11 win seasons. At this point I think there's every reason for ksu to have higher fb expectations than ku regardless of ku's place as the flagship university in the state.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

Should ksu take a backseat to KU in fb? I don't know what basis that would be on. KU has had 100 years to develop a decent fb program and never could. Then the Wizard swooped into Manhattan and started peeling off 9-11 win seasons. At this point I think there's every reason for ksu to have higher fb expectations than ku regardless of ku's place as the flagship university in the state.

KSU certainly has a better stadium and atmosphere than KU for football. That kind of thing can take decades to reverse.

14 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

No - not anymore - but it's because Snyder did what he did.  KU always sucked but preSnyder KSU was fucking horrible even compared to KU.  Snyder has shit all over KU. He goes out of his way to do so.  I think he covered the spread like 14 straight years vs KU - he makes it a point to pour fuel on that dumpster fire. 

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Probably - WI is a great parallel.  I think that's where they want to be.  WI has outpaced Iowa easily the Ferentz years. 

Wisconsin's whole reason for success though seems to be the pipeline of nfl caliber lineman they bring up in their state. So unless Iowa can match that I don't think they can hope to match what Wisconsin has been able to do since Alvarez resurrected them. Its not like Iowa is that far off though. Ferentz has won 10 games quite a few times since he's been there.

16 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

KSU certainly has a better stadium and atmosphere than KU for football. That kind of thing can take decades to reverse.

Well that and at the end of the day KU has more than accepted their fate as a bb school. That's their bread and butter and I think they are ok with that.

21 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Probably - WI is a great parallel.  I think that's where they want to be.  WI has outpaced Iowa easily the Ferentz years. 

UW built up their program because Wisconsin is underscouted and underrecruited, and they've mined the state (with zero in-state FBS competition) for these local farmer boys who fit their program philosphy. Does the state of Iowa have that depth of talent, especially since they have to split at least some of the prospects with Iowa State?

1 hour ago, joeycovers said:

That is incredible. This guy might literally die coaching. 

He probably figures he'll be like JoePa and die if he stops working.  If they'll keep paying, he'll keep coaching.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

UW built up their program because Wisconsin is underscouted and underrecruited, and they've mined the state (with zero in-state FBS competition) for these local farmer boys who fit their program philosphy. Does the state of Iowa have that depth of talent, especially since they have to split at least some of the prospects with Iowa State?

They've squandered the chance now.  But for the decades ISU sucked, they could have really locked up the vast majority of the talent and been close to WI level.  Now with ISU's rise and Iowa sticking with Ferentz, who many think sucks (I agree)...no they will not get there in the next several years.  But going back to when Ferentz was hired at Iowa there was no reason to think they shouldn't have been neck and neck with WI...

5 years?!  I think him buying any green bananas is getting to be pretty bold. 

Good for him though. He’s a bad ass. I hope him holding KSU by their throat until they make his son HC doesn’t hurt his legacy. I assume that this is part of what this whole thing is about.  

• Like 1

Greatest hire in the state of Kansas, bigger than KU hiring Danny Manning, there will never be a bigger hire in that state.

I wouldnt blink if they gave his corpse another 5 year deal, paying homage. It would be understandable.

When we played in Manhattan in 2016, almost all of the fans we spoke to said that Snyder wouldn't retire again until his son became the next coach. They also said there was no way that the KSU administration would let the son take charge.

This is turning into one hell of a strand-off, but I'm just happy that Snyder is still here and well enough to coach. He may own the Horns on a regular basis, but he's one of the truly good guys in college football and the sport will suffer when he's gone.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

No - not anymore - but it's because Snyder did what he did.  KU always sucked but preSnyder KSU was fucking horrible even compared to KU.  Snyder has shit all over KU. He goes out of his way to do so.  I think he covered the spread like 14 straight years vs KU - he makes it a point to pour fuel on that dumpster fire. 

Pretty sure that KSU was the historically worst football program in existence before Snyder took over.  I have nothing but respect for the octogenarian.  Apparently Nike stopped making his shoes, but they hooked him up with a lifetime supply before shutting them down.

• Like 1

I know its been discussed but it's incredible what a turn-around Snyder did at Kst. They were current KU bad for roughly 75 years and he made them into a National Contender on a few occasions.

He has only missed a bowl game 3x since 92.   Ron Prince missed it 2x in 3 years. 

Uh may zing

34 minutes ago, jinx said:

Pretty sure that KSU was the historically worst football program in existence before Snyder took over.  I have nothing but respect for the octogenarian.  Apparently Nike stopped making his shoes, but they hooked him up with a lifetime supply before shutting them down.

Lifetime supply for The Wizard?  That’s A LOT of shoes.