Custom Suit

Anyone have experience getting sutis/sports coats made from one of the Thailand custom suit stores?  I end up paying close to $200 in alterations every time I buy a suit and I'm thinking it may be smarter to just get them custom made.  If so, anyone have any get recommendations?

Even though going to the domain makes me break out in hives, I've had great luck with suitsupply. Good quality custom suits, 300 to 600. Get measured, pick out a suit, go pick it up in a week or so. Get more compliments on my suits from there than more expensive tailored get ups.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nonbryan said:

Anyone have experience getting sutis/sports coats made from one of the Thailand custom suit stores?  I end up paying close to $200 in alterations every time I buy a suit and I'm thinking it may be smarter to just get them custom made.  If so, anyone have any get recommendations?

I got a suit from Princeton Tailors while in HK.  They are one of the outfits that makes semi-annual trips to major US cities.  It's a very nice suit.  I think it cost $500 about 10 years ago.  It was considerably nicer than a $500 off the rack suit at the time.

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I got a suit from Princeton Tailors while in HK.  They are one of the outfits that makes semi-annual trips to major US cities.  It's a very nice suit.  I think it cost $500 about 10 years ago.  It was considerably nicer than a $500 off the rack suit at the time.

That is exactly the thing I'm looking for, thank you!

Are you talking about doing it in person in Thailand, or either over internet or during a tailor's US city tour?

If in person in Thailand, you can get some great results assuming you have enough time to get the second and third fittings done. Over the internet is risky if your body shape/proportions are outside of 70-percentile of normal. A US city tour is risky if your body shape/proportions are outside of 90-percentile of normal. That said, in all cases, you'll wind up with a better fit than a $500 off-the-rack suit that you get tailored. And if you take your custom suit and have a good local tailor tune it up, then both of those risks go to zero (but you give up some of the cost savings).

The rec for Suitsupply above is a solid one, that gets you an in-person fit and a place you can go back to if it's not quite right. For the same money using an overseas tailor, either Hong Kong or Thailand, you likely won't get a better fit, but you may be able to go up a level in the fabric at the same price point.

A "custom" suit is kinda like... a home-smoked brisket.  

Many people cant do it well.  Many more who eat it, will think its the greatest thing ever because (1) someone spent their effort making it at home (2) they havent had much and they simply dont know any better.

Like Aunt Mae from New Mexico who saw a recipe from foodnetwork.com and decided to try it in her oven.  Often times, Rudy's is better.  But sometimes, it can be fantastic.

My body type agrees with the SuitSupply cuts so I get most of my stuff from them

I always get some shirts and pants made at Raja's Fashions anytime I am in Bangkok (Sukhumvit Rd right by the Nana BTS stop).  You pay about the same price as you would off the rack in the US and it's custom fit and their stuff lasts forever.  

But as the other poster said, if you do it in person you should expect about four days from the time you first visit to the time you pick up your order.  You go in, pick out the fabrics you want to use, go through a fitting and select any customizations.  Come back a couple of days later and they will have one set of items made up for you to try on and make any adjustments.  Couple of days after that you pick up everything.

I'm sure they can crank it out faster if required, but I'm usually there for two weeks at a pop and do my fitting the first day so I'm not in a hurry.

Im sure suit supply is fine.  It just annoys me endlessly that they promote, on their website, the no-socks, highwater pants, skinny jeans look.  That just screams fashion victim.

Yeah, I'm old, but that shit aint right.  That was the one thing Ralph Lauren did and does well:  he promoted a fashion-forward look, although classic, that someone would actually wear in public.

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Im sure suit supply is fine.  It just annoys me endlessly that they promote, on their website, the no-socks, highwater pants, skinny jeans look.  That just screams fashion victim.

All their suit trousers, and most of the standalone trousers, come unfinished with enough length to do a double-cuff.  

If going by the website models, BB and RL (all lines) push even worse styling with ultra narrow lapels, short jackets, etc.  They may have toned that down over the years - i dont really visit anymore.  

26 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

All their suit trousers, and most of the standalone trousers, come unfinished with enough length to do a double-cuff.  

If going by the website models, BB and RL (all lines) push even worse styling with ultra narrow lapels, short jackets, etc.  They may have toned that down over the years - i dont really visit anymore.  

Probably so, but at least somewhere on the RL website, in connection with suits, they have always shown a guy wearing socks with proper length trousers.

Good Lord, you are right about Brooks Brothers.  Looks like 1965 up in there.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I have a custom suit from Tom James.  The haberdasher comes to my house or office to measure and fit.  I was able to pick out any features that I want like functional buttons, contrast stitching color, fabric, full lining, etc.  It was $900.  I lost some weight and they did a substantial re-cut for $100.  I haven't liked their custom shirts that much, but I have had several pairs of suit pants made as well to go with sports coats.  I think the pants were about $225.  I constantly get compliments like "nice pants" and "great suit".

dvzfe.jpg

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2018 at 9:08 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

A guy from Hong Kong comes to my office twice a year. Finally bought 2 last year ($600ish a piece). Best suits I own. 

Simpson SIn?

On 8/16/2018 at 5:43 AM, 52-80 said:

A "custom" suit is kinda like... a home-smoked brisket.  

Many people cant do it well.  Many more who eat it, will think its the greatest thing ever because (1) someone spent their effort making it at home (2) they havent had much and they simply dont know any better.

Like Aunt Mae from New Mexico who saw a recipe from foodnetwork.com and decided to try it in her oven.  Often times, Rudy's is better.  But sometimes, it can be fantastic.

My body type agrees with the SuitSupply cuts so I get most of my stuff from them

There's more made to measure abortions out there than OTR ones.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:12 PM, kevwun said:

Does suitsupply do classic fit suits?  I need to get a new suit and am not down with the skinny fit.  They sound like what I am looking for otherwise.

They have a range of fits. Most of their stuff is generally on the slim side, but the regular fit is nothing that looks super trendy or slim.

i have 12-15 custom suits from Trumaker that are fantastic... highly recommend them.  range from $1,000 - $2,000 each

i just bought my first custom suit from Blank Label.  $700.  its on its 3rd resizing.  i'm obviously extremely unhappy as i still haven't taken it home b/c every time i try it on, they can't seem to get the fit correct.  i was drawn in by the price point and the range of colors/styles/fabrics, but obviously you get what you pay for.  Trumaker nailed my fit on the first try, which is why i've been a repeat customer

i have 3 suits from a Hong Kong custom tailor, which now suck in comparision to the Trumaker even though I paid more for those.  big mistake.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used J Hilburn for custom shirts (love them), slacks (were "ok" but took some tweaks after), and sport coats (love the materials selection).  Pluses include good materials that they rotate regularly.  However I've been less happy w/ the service from my JH rep.  She wanted to charge me for an extra set of alterations on a sport coat when the fit wasn't perfect - uh no bitch, I paid a ton of money for a custom coat, you'll adjust it until it's right.  Overall though, they've nailed the fit on shirts for me so I typically buy one every other month or so since I lost a bunch of weight to repopulate my closet.

Recently, I needed a suit on short notice for a funeral.  Because of the weight loss (hiya keto), none of my old stuff fit.  JH couldn't turn one around quick enough and I don't have good luck buying off the rack b/c of my body type (barrel chest, athletic thighs).  So I poked around and did Knot Standard.  Same basic model as JH, a little more pricey and high end.  Probably 10x the selection in terms of materials of JH, and they have a storefront where you go to downtown to get sized and make selection.  Very happy with the experience and they turned my suit around in <2 weeks, M2M.  That includes an initial sizing and they had their local tailor tweak it over the weekend to get it perfect for me on the next Monday when I needed it and couriered it to my home in Cedar Park to get it to me on time.

Next step is to do a blazer in this, channel my inner Del Conte:

IMG_2227.jpg

On 8/16/2018 at 8:37 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I always get some shirts and pants made at Raja's Fashions anytime I am in Bangkok (Sukhumvit Rd right by the Nana BTS stop).  You pay about the same price as you would off the rack in the US and it's custom fit and their stuff lasts forever.  

But as the other poster said, if you do it in person you should expect about four days from the time you first visit to the time you pick up your order.  You go in, pick out the fabrics you want to use, go through a fitting and select any customizations.  Come back a couple of days later and they will have one set of items made up for you to try on and make any adjustments.  Couple of days after that you pick up everything.

I'm sure they can crank it out faster if required, but I'm usually there for two weeks at a pop and do my fitting the first day so I'm not in a hurry.

I've been using Raja's Fashions for years (it appears that have moved since my last visit to BKK as they used to be at the entrance to Nana Plaza).  Bobby has a photographic memory and remembers your name even if it's been years since the last visit.  I call them every few years and they ship me another batch of shirts as they have my measurements.  As mentioned above, the key is to have some time for the followup fittings - that and making sure the quality of the fabric is good...

40 minutes ago, Grimas said:

I've been using Raja's Fashions for years (it appears that have moved since my last visit to BKK as they used to be at the entrance to Nana Plaza).  Bobby has a photographic memory and remembers your name even if it's been years since the last visit.  I call them every few years and they ship me another batch of shirts as they have my measurements.  As mentioned above, the key is to have some time for the followup fittings - that and making sure the quality of the fabric is good...

They are just down Sukhumvit a little ways, about two doors past the Nana BTS station escalator.

When I saw your original post, I thought you were talking about the "other" Raja's (Rajawongse) as the "good" Raja's was on Soi 4 at the Nana entrance.  They've moved to the location by the escalator on Sukhumvit since my last trip there...  Raja's Fashions it the one all the expats use - the "other" one is where the taxis will take you if you just say "Raja's"...  (avoid)

On 9/17/2018 at 2:31 PM, Horn of Gabriel said:

I've used J Hilburn for custom shirts (love them), slacks (were "ok" but took some tweaks after), and sport coats (love the materials selection).  Pluses include good materials that they rotate regularly.  However I've been less happy w/ the service from my JH rep.  She wanted to charge me for an extra set of alterations on a sport coat when the fit wasn't perfect - uh no bitch, I paid a ton of money for a custom coat, you'll adjust it until it's right.  Overall though, they've nailed the fit on shirts for me so I typically buy one every other month or so since I lost a bunch of weight to repopulate my closet.

Recently, I needed a suit on short notice for a funeral.  Because of the weight loss (hiya keto), none of my old stuff fit.  JH couldn't turn one around quick enough and I don't have good luck buying off the rack b/c of my body type (barrel chest, athletic thighs).  So I poked around and did Knot Standard.  Same basic model as JH, a little more pricey and high end.  Probably 10x the selection in terms of materials of JH, and they have a storefront where you go to downtown to get sized and make selection.  Very happy with the experience and they turned my suit around in <2 weeks, M2M.  That includes an initial sizing and they had their local tailor tweak it over the weekend to get it perfect for me on the next Monday when I needed it and couriered it to my home in Cedar Park to get it to me on time.

Next step is to do a blazer in this, channel my inner Del Conte:

IMG_2227.jpg

Oh jesus man, don't go Russian oligarch and overspend for LP.