2019-2020 LSU/@LSU

2021 @Arkansas

2022-2023 Bama/@BAMA

2023 @ USF- trip to Tampa

2024 @ Michigan

2025/2026 tOSU/@tOSU

2027 Michigan

tOSU series was moved from 2022-2023 to 2025-2026

UCF game in 2023 was cancelled. We also added UTEP in 2020 at DKR.

I can't remember shit any more, but it seems like Pig never paid us back for that game they begged out of a few years ago. That was supposed to be here in Austin right?

6 hours ago, wood said:

I can't remember shit any more, but it seems like Pig never paid us back for that game they begged out of a few years ago. That was supposed to be here in Austin right?

They played us in Austin in 2008. We never returned the favor. Was supposed to be 2014 but it got postponed.

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

We paid them back in full by letting them go bowling against Charlie’s offense.

Only consolation from that is that game allowed Bert to extend his tenure there and torpedo that program a little longer (at least, that's how I choose to see it).

On 5/16/2018 at 2:02 PM, UTEX_ME said:

So Saban obviously will be gone right? This does not line up with his "process"

Bill Synder is 78 and still kicking. Saban is 66 and in great health and the bet is that he will likely be the coach for another 5-10 years. 

Jeff Howe: Del Conte on how Texas, Alabama came together to schedule serieshttps://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-AD-Chris-Del-Conte-on-scheduling-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-with-AD-Greg-Byrne-118292343

Texas getting a home-and-home series scheduled with Alabama for the 2022 and 2023 seasons wasn’t as simple as one phone conversation between Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte and Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne. Bringing together two of college football’s bluebloods might not have happened had two other college football traditional powers not scheduled a series of their own in December 2015.

Del Conte told a room of supporters at NRG Stadium on Wednesday night during the Houston leg of the “This is Texas Tour” that there were a lot of moving parts that made the two-game series between the Longhorns and the Crimson Tide happen.

“We’ve been working on this for the last couple of months,” Del Conte said.

Del Conte said he received a phone call from Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith not long after moving from his old post at TCU to the Forty Acres to starting running things for the Longhorns. Smith brought up the Buckeyes having a home-and-home with Notre Dame to be played in 2022 and 2023, the same two-year window where the Longhorns were due to face Ohio State.

Smith, who played on Notre Dame’s 1973 national championship squad and served as an assistant coach on the Fighting Irish team that beat Texas and Heisman Trophy winner Earl Campbell in the Cotton Bowl to claim the 1977 national title, didn’t want to move the series against his alma mater. Having Notre Dame and Texas on a non-conference schedule while also having to face Big Ten East opponents Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State might have been a case of Smith not wanting to put the Buckeyes through an unnecessary gauntlet.

Whatever Smith’s reasoning was, Del Conte said Smith wanted to move the Texas series. All Del Conte asked was that Smith give him time to find a game to replace a program the caliber of Ohio State on the schedule.

“If I let you out of the game — I’ve just been on the job a month — I’ll get fired,” Del Conte said of what he told Smith. “I want to last a little longer than the last dude, you know what I mean? I don’t want to get canned right out of the gate.”

Del Conte didn’t mention which specific schools he called trying to find an opponent to fill the void. He did, however, drop a hint about possibly having reached out to Texas A&M (although his response is completely up for interpretation).

“We called some schools in our state that were already scheduled,” Del Conte said, which the Aggies are locked into playing Miami in a home-and-home series during those two seasons.

Del Conte said he called Byrne, someone he called a “dear friend.” He said Byrne was gung-ho about the Crimson Tide and the Longhorns getting together for the first time since the 2010 BCS national championship game, but Del Conte wanted to make it clear that the series was a true home-and-home and wouldn’t feature any neutral site contests.

“We’re not playing you in the Chick-fil-A (Kickoff Game),” Del Conte said of his conversation with Byrne, referring to Alabama having played in Atlanta five times since 2008 in non-conference neutral site games (the Crimson Tide have also played in the Advocare Classic at AT&T Stadium three times since 2012. “It’s home. You’re going to be in Austin and I’m going to go to Alabama.”

Byrne agreed to the home-and-home series, which then allowed Del Conte and Smith to move the Texas-Ohio State series to 2025 and 2026. Having Alabama on the schedule and keeping the Buckeyes on the slate gives the Longhorns four years (six if the 2024 and 2027 scheduled tilts against Michigan are counted) of one-third of the equation Del Conte envisions non-conference scheduling in football being under his watch.

“The philosophy is really trying to get a nine-game conference schedule that we play, a really monster game at home — home-and-home with a monster team — two teams that we should take care of business in,” Del Conte said. “If we do our job, we have the ability to put ourselves in the CFP and play for a national championship. That’s where we’re at.”

SIAP

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 2:19 PM, TornACL said:

Flashbacks to 1991 (shudder).

Yep,  I was in Starkville for that beat down. Partied like a biker though  the night before the game at some ramshackle bar outside of town down a dirt road.  Those rednecks were stoked to have so many Texans invade their little shang-ri-la, nice as could be.  The night after the game, we were welcomed at every frat house we went to. Half our crew hi-tailed it to Bourbon, but the dozen of us that stayed faired pretty well.

47 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yep,  I was in Starkville for that beat down. Partied like a biker though  the night before the game at some ramshackle bar outside of town down a dirt road.  Those rednecks were stoked to have so many Texans invade their little shang-ri-la, nice as could be.  The night after the game, we were welcomed at every frat house we went to. Half our crew hi-tailed it to Bourbon, but the dozen of us that stayed faired pretty well.

Not sure any game has ever been so disappointing. We all wanted to get that Miami 46-3 loss out of our minds as soon as possible, and had to wait 9 damn months. But we were comforted by the fact that at least Texas was "back". 

Then we open the season at MSU and lay an absolute turd on offense, and lose again to that shit bird Sherrill. 

Edited by TornACL

10 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Has anybody seen this reported elsewhere?

Holy shit. That's fucking gold. Everyone here who constantly has aggy telling them that Texas is afraid to play them needs to read that tweet ... and I'm guessing that's pretty much all of us.

Whoa, is it just me or does Tua sound like a bitch here?
https://247sports.com/Article/Tua-Tagovailoa-I-wouldve-transferred-if-I-didnt-play-in-final-118318396

"I called my dad and asked him if my offer to the University of Southern California was still available," Tagovailoa said about his thoughts during his first months with the Crimson Tide. "I wanted to leave. I told my dad I wanted to go to a school where I thought it'd be easier for me and wouldn't challenge me so much."

^He sounds like most kids his age, with that kind of talent, when they don't see PT right away. 90% of these kids think that way, very few follow through. He was giving a talk on perseverance to a group of kids, so some context is left out of quotes like that. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2018 at 12:51 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Has anybody seen this reported elsewhere?

I've reported it when I heard Chris Del Conte say that exact same thing to us at the This is Texas Tour

Edited by Viper

18 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

Wrong thread, but Texas and Alabama could easily be in the same conference. League with Texas Alabama A&M, Arky, OU, Auburn, uga, fla, TN would be the best in college ball.

Yeah, wrong thread.

I'm in the Surly minority but I'd be cool with getting our traditional rivalries back with A&M and Arkansas. And going along with OU would preserve all three of our traditional rivalries.  But beyond Alabama (who Texas would likely only see a couple times every 8 or 10 years), being in a conference with Auburn, Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee is really a big "who cares" from me.  I get it that they're YOU'RE longstanding regional rivals, but they're not mine, and I don't really give a rat's ass about any of them. Especially since they'd most likely be aligned in an eastern division, so really Texas would be looking at playing the Mississippi schools and LSU on a regular basis, with a slight smattering of the other SEC schools you mentioned.

I'd be far more interested in ditching the dead weight in ALL conferences and forming a conference that had UT, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Alabama, and Notre Dame.  It could be called the "FU Pay Me" conference.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That has never, not once, had any bearing on the realignment thread, or its ability to slowly and inexorably take over the intertrons.

I get that.  Which means that there is precious little difference between the realignment thread and a bunch of middle school boys sitting around and talking about sex.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:03 PM, Machinator said:

I hope to go to this game in 2022..!

On 5/24/2018 at 4:27 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

That has never, not once, had any bearing on the realignment thread, or its ability to slowly and inexorably take over the intertrons.

Hey, don't give me any ideas... 😁

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2018 at 12:33 AM, utee94 said:

Yeah, wrong thread.

I'm in the Surly minority but I'd be cool with getting our traditional rivalries back with A&M and Arkansas. And going along with OU would preserve all three of our traditional rivalries.  But beyond Alabama (who Texas would likely only see a couple times every 8 or 10 years), being in a conference with Auburn, Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee is really a big "who cares" from me.  I get it that they're YOU'RE longstanding regional rivals, but they're not mine, and I don't really give a rat's ass about any of them. Especially since they'd most likely be aligned in an eastern division, so really Texas would be looking at playing the Mississippi schools and LSU on a regular basis, with a slight smattering of the other SEC schools you mentioned.

I'd be far more interested in ditching the dead weight in ALL conferences and forming a conference that had UT, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Alabama, and Notre Dame.  It could be called the "FU Pay Me" conference.

Fuck all the other teams too, but my statement was it would be the best league. Didn't address whether or not anyone would give a shit.