All Things Brisket

kevwun

Fuck it, New Year, Horns  in the Playoff, Arch staying, kids married off, new Homo Joe Smoker, I finally broke down & shelled for a Wagyu.  

If I fuck this up I’m gonna self immolate Tibet style…

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3864.jpeg

IMG_3816.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Cajun said:

Fuck it, New Year, Horns  in the Playoff, Arch staying, kids married off, new Homo Joe Smoker, I finally broke down & shelled for a Wagyu.  

If I fuck this up I’m gonna self immolate Tibet style…

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

J/K --hope it went well and tastes delicious!

After cutting up and eating from all parts of that Wagyu, I’ve got to say I’m very underwhelmed given the cost of those things.  Parts of the flat and point were dry and the flavor really wasn’t anything better than your basic Costco brisket.

Just my .02.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

@thunderloungeCould have been my cook.  I run hot & fast (300F), so perhaps that’s not the way to go with a fattier cut.  Not sure.  

Or it could just be that all Wagyus are not created equal.  I think that’s more likely.

I think you’re right on the second part. The Japanese grading scale (or whatever it’s called) goes 1-12, and usda prime comes in at a 5. Wagyu tends to run 6+, so one on the lower end would certainly be suspect vice one that’s 9+.

That cook was a bitch for me. WSM wasn’t playing nice with KBB, way too hot and burned out in about 8 hours.  It was what I had, and wasn’t in the mood to make a run on Christmas eve morning.

I ended up running in the 275 range, with hardly any vents cracked. Sucked, but managed. 

I’m not getting SRF every time, but I will for the bigger family events for sure. The point may have been a hair too fatty, honestly. But part of that may have been a looser trim than I usually do. But that flat… just melt in your mouth beefy, smoky goodness.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:48 AM, Cajun said:

After cutting up and eating from all parts of that Wagyu, I’ve got to say I’m very underwhelmed given the cost of those things.  Parts of the flat and point were dry and the flavor really wasn’t anything better than your basic Costco brisket.

Just my .02.

Saw some at HEB last night ranging from 150-180 dollars.

Make Texas great again. Bring back 99 cent a lb brisket.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That one I picked up was over $150.  Ooph

Back to Costco packers for this cowboy.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Wagyu beef is as unTexan as it comes. Tender brisket from lesser grades is the real achievement for a great pitmaster.

To that end, the price has come down on choice significantly since this summer.

16 hours ago, Cajun said:
On 1/6/2024 at 2:40 PM, Anastasis said:

That one I picked up was over $150.  Ooph

Back to Costco packers for this cowboy.

I've yet to be dissappointed with the cheapest packers I can find. I am selective though. Best price I can recall is $1.96/lb in the last several years. Been a while however.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 10:43 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Wagyu beef is as unTexan as it comes. Tender brisket from lesser grades is the real achievement for a great pitmaster.

I'm going with this from here on out.

Fuck all that bullshit.

On 1/7/2024 at 1:58 PM, sith_horn said:

I've yet to be dissappointed with the cheapest packers I can find. I am selective though. Best price I can recall is $1.96/lb in the last several years. Been a while however.

Back on the other site I used to start a thread about brisket pricing every spring.  The biggest sales always came just before the summer holidays-- Memorial, 4th, Labor.  It was pretty common to see prices down at $.99/lb even as recently as 2016 or so.

Like you, these days I think the lowest I see around Austin is that $1.96 price point, but I recall maybe some of the Houston folks posting Kroger ads for less than that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think American Wagyu is just a marketing brand. I don’t think it’s an actual grade certification like Japanese Agraded scale.

Some of it, yes, is just plain marketing. Just because it's wagyu, doesn't mean it's going to grade highly. Some will grade lower than usda prime. If it's just plain labeled (american) wagyu, that's kind of like the plain white can that reads "beer".

Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. I guarantee my experience with a SRF (Gold, FWIW) brisket is about 180* out from what Cajun got out of that cut from HEB.

• Hook 'Em 2

Don't go Wagyu.  I got one from HEB for the last July 4th...it was all that was left.   Decided to try it.

Tooooo greasy....and I love me some fatty point brisket.  Just not worth the price.

I do love the wagyu burger patties from HEB though.

I've never had Texas beef that comes close to wagyu. The best non Japanese Kobe steak I've bought in Houston from a store was at Central Market. New Zealand wagyu strip, damn that steak was amazing and no HEB prime comes close.

17 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

I do love the wagyu burger patties from HEB though.

I don't doubt they were delicious, but I've never really understood the logic of Wagyu ground beef.  Wagyu steaks largely are about the fat distribution.  With ground beef generally, not only are you somewhat evenly distributing the fat content, but you can control the fat content as well.  I don't doubt there could be something more to it, and I'm no expert, but once it's run through a grinder, what qualities that distinguish it remain?  I've only tried it once (it's been several years ago) and couldn't find much to distinguish it flavorwise.

Edited by dcbc

Wagyu in the US has no real requirements for breeding, so most of the stuff you find labeled as such is some form of hybrid and is "wagyu" at best. I roll my eyes at it.

True wagyu is genetically different, the fat has much less saturated fat percentage, and is distinctly healthier for you. Easy way to tell, the fat will be liquid at room temp, while most beef fat is solid.

For people whose doctors recommend less beef consumption due to saturated fats, switching to (real) wagyu is a good health move.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My son got a pellet grill for his birthday and has been going crazy with smoking stuff. He did a pork shoulder Friday and it came out great. Yesterday he did a couple racks of baby backs. About a half hour before taking them off he took the leftover pulled pork in a pan and put it on the smoke with a little spritz of seasoned apple juice. It was fantastic, adding my re smoke to the inner parts that don’t get any.

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That looks great. I've seen a lot of trimmed flats in the case, not sure that I've ever seen a separated point. Would be very nice to churn out some burnt ends. 

Kyle HEB Plus (when open)

I think it was maybe $36. It seemed "over-trimmed" based on the videos/suggestions I've reviewed but it came out great.