Lupe Valdez lost her issued service pistol

Hornius Emeritus

Lupe Valdez may be the worst candidate I have ever seen.  She favors gun control but cannot account for the firearm that was issued to her when she was Dallas County Sheriff. This has to be some sort of cosmic joke, right?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/08/16/lupe-valdez-says-gun-misplaced-transition-accepts-blame

39 minutes ago, scottsins said:

She is a terrible candidate.  I wanted to see what Andrew White could do.  I know that he also would not have much of a chance to win, but I think he (or about anyone else) could have helped out with down ballot races.

Same. From day one, she and her campaign screamed incompetence.

3 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I expect she will appeal to quite a few groups and make it a close race.  Might have been closer had White won, but we shall see.  Am not expecting any upsets here, and at least Abbott is a longhorn.  I'm wagering she loses 60% to 40%.

Yeah, 60-40 sounds about right.  I think there will be a smaller chunk of Abbott/Beto voters and a bigger chunk of (left it blank)/Beto voters.

Oddly enough, the last time there was a gubernatorial race in a blue-leaning midterm year was 2006; Perry's stellar 39% showing in a crowded field.  Kind of wonder how that would have gone had Carole Keeton Strayhorn Ryland McClellan One Tough Grandma and Kinky hadn't been running. 

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Worst candidate for governor the Dems have run in Texas in my lifetime. 

Yep.  But at the same time, I don't think Abbott is beatable.  I kind of don't mind keeping Andrew White on the sideline for another race, perhaps against Cornyn in 2020.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, 60-40 sounds about right.  I think there will be a smaller chunk of Abbott/Beto voters and a bigger chunk of (left it blank)/Beto voters.

Oddly enough, the last time there was a gubernatorial race in a blue-leaning midterm year was 2006; Perry's stellar 39% showing in a crowded field.  Kind of wonder how that would have gone had Carole Keeton Strayhorn Ryland McClellan One Tough Grandma and Kinky hadn't been running. 

Assuming 100% of Strayhorn/Kinky voters still turn out, Chris Bell would have had to have won over 65% of those voters to get over the top. If only 80% would have turned out, over 81% would have had to have broken for Bell.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Great. Another rich white guy.

Have you seen the Democratic bench in this state? Blah.

If they win, of course Lizzie Pannell Fletcher, Collin Allred, Gina Ortiz Jones, etc. will be in the convo.  But man, do we need to build a god damn bench.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Have you seen the Democratic bench in this state? Blah.

If they win, of course Lizzie Pannell Fletcher, Collin Allred, Gina Ortiz Jones, etc. will be in the convo.  But man, do we need to build a god damn bench.

They just need to win elections. The big counties are loaded with Democrats who can win. And they will. 

Andrew White lost to Lupe Valdez. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

They just need to win elections. The big counties are loaded with Democrats who can win. And they will. 

Andrew White lost to Lupe Valdez. 

TBF, a lot of pretty good male Democratic candidates in open primaries lost to women.  It's the year of the woman.

34 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Worst candidate for governor the Dems have run in Texas in my lifetime. 

Well she is a Latina lesbian, she has that going for her not that I think that will help her out. The guero from El Paso probably has a bigger following in South Texas.

Side topic: Do people actually use the phrase latino anywhere in Texas? In San Antonio people just say they are Mexican.

Just now, Js1 said:

TBF, a lot of pretty good male Democratic candidates in open primaries lost to women.  It's the year of the woman.

I expect Lupe Valdez will do as well as Andrew White would have done against Abbot.

So she has a shitty campaign. Sounds like Texas Democrats need better political operatives. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I expect Lupe Valdez will do as well as Andrew White would have done against Abbot.

So she has a shitty campaign. Sounds like Texas Democrats need better political operatives. 

- Said every Democrat in the state since, oh, 2006?

4 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’m ok with it if it depresses the turnout for Cruz

Would it? Honest question. The Houston GOP cynically ran Cuban-American Orlando Sanchez for mayor once or twice a while back thinking it would garner a few Mexican American votes or depress votes for Dems generally, and it never worked for them.

I do agree that Valdez is just a placeholder, but I do think that if they could have come up with a candidate as dynamic as Beto it would be more competitive. Abbott is only slightly less repugnant than Cruz, and has the same record of not giving a shit about anyone other than the one percent. He is better at posturing, which is saying something, given that he is only half as physically capable in that regard as Cruz. 

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Would it? Honest question. The Houston GOP cynically ran Cuban-American Orlando Sanchez for mayor once or twice a while back thinking it would garner a few Mexican American votes or depress votes for Dems generally, and it never worked for them.

I do agree that Valdez is just a placeholder, but I do think that if they could have come up with a candidate as dynamic as Beto it would be more competitive. Abbott is only slightly less repugnant than Cruz, and has the same record of not giving a shit about anyone other than the one percent. He is better at posturing, which is saying something, given that he is only half as physically capable in that regard as Cruz. 

My theory is that there are a lot of Republicans who would definitely turn out if they thought their votes were needed to protect Abbott, but they're not going to be bothered if their votes are only needed to protect the likes of Ted Cruz.

It also kind of blunts Cruz's whole campaign slogan "Keep Texas Red," which, as an aside, is the dumbest campaign slogan I've seen since "I'm With Her."  Hey, dumbfuck--Texas is staying red irrespective of whether you lose your Senate seat (which you should, because you're a shitty fucking senator).

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, F250 said:

Well she is a Latina lesbian, she has that going for her not that I think that will help her out. The guero from El Paso probably has a bigger following in South Texas.

Side topic: Do people actually use the phrase latino anywhere in Texas? In San Antonio people just say they are Mexican.

I use the terms hispanic or mexican more than I use latino, as do most other hispanics I know here. Some people feel like "hispanic" is a somewhat offensive phrase giving preference to the conquerors, while "latino" is the more inclusive phrase. I don't see it that way, but whatever. In California, latino is definitely the more popular word, and you'll hear "chicano" a lot more over there too. They're more of a prideful bunch generally, with more engaged voters and a lot more "viva la raza" types. While there are exceptions, that's not really the case so much in Texas. Hispanics here usually have more of a "just stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours" mentality. Unless "your way" involves using a barbecue pit in a public park on a Sunday afternoon. That's ours now and you need to accept it. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, F250 said:

What about the Hispanics who are not from Mexico?  The ones I know go out of their way to let you know that they are NOT Mexican.

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What about the Hispanics who are not from Mexico?  The ones I know go out of their way to let you know that they are NOT Mexican.

I can only speak for San Antonio, you say you are Mexican or you sound like a pinche coconut.