2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:

I'm not saying to keep playing him if he goes 60 games hitting the same way, but 20 games is too shot a time for him. Springer was barely above .200 until this last week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I understand SSS, but we’re looking at a full year plus the first 20. 

Marisnick, Fisher, and Gattis are negative contributors as of right now. If we’re 40 games in and none of them are showing anything, I don’t care how good the rest of the team is, changes need to be made. 

6 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Oh look. Astros are back in first.

The last 4 days we are 4-0, outscoring opponents 30-4, all on the road.  The Angels are 0-4, being outscored 35-4, all at home.  Hopefully we're back in 1st for good this time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I understand SSS, but we’re looking at a full year plus the first 20. 

Marisnick, Fisher, and Gattis are negative contributors as of right now. If we’re 40 games in and none of them are showing anything, I don’t care how good the rest of the team is, changes need to be made. 

I'm not much of a Gattis fan, but he has been an above-average hitter every year of his career (by wRC+) - though just barely last year. He probably deserves some patience. I'd put Marwin in this category too. But yeah, they eventually have to produce.

Marisnick has never been much of a hitter until 2017, which could prove to be the aberration. He's a good 4th OF but probably shouldn't be playing as frequently as he is. 

Fisher...I don't know. I'd prefer to see him get more starts than he's been getting (and fewer for Marisnick). He's been bad, but he still only has 200 PAs in the majors (Marisnick is in his 5th season). And Fisher was great at every stop in the minors (147 wRC+ in AAA last year) and clearly has tools - athleticism, speed, power - to make it as at least an average regular. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

anyone got updated pitching/starters stats?  i'll wait here.

Astros pitchers (all): 188.2 IP

11 K/ 9 IP (1st) 

2.7 BB/ 9 IP (4th)

2.34 ERA (1st)

2.94 FIP (2nd)

4.3 fWAR (2nd to BOS at 4.4)

Just the Starters: 129.2 IP

11.5 K/9 (1st)

2.9 BB/9 (10th)

2.15 ERA (1st)

2.95 FIP (4th)

3.5 fWAR (1st)

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Thing with Gattis is that they would need to release or trade him, which I doubt they will do any time soon.  Still, it would be nice to give those PAs to our guys languishing away in Fresno who also have more defensive flexibility than Gattis.  Gattis may also have a larger DH penalty than normal given that his DH/position split (1000+ PAs for each sample) is .053 wOBA.