Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

its videos like this that are going to get folks killed.  

Get out of the fucking truck, and lay in the ditch. 

There is a much, much higher chance of survival the lower you are to the ground, and if you are in the ditch, much higher chance of avoiding something flying in the air to hit you.

23 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

There is a much, much higher chance of survival the lower you are to the ground, and if you are in the ditch, much higher chance of avoiding something flying in the air to hit you.

shit like that seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  there was a ton of flying shit which could have impaled his ass.

die by getting tossed around in a trunk or die by having a 2x4 fly up his ass?  choices....

Actually, he should've stopped at the overpass the first time and got up under the supports. Plenty of vids of people surviving that way.

28 minutes ago, Modessit said:
2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Actually, he should've stopped at the overpass the first time and got up under the supports. Plenty of vids of people surviving that way.

Pretty sure that is on the shortlist of things not to do.

34 minutes ago, Modessit said:
2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Read more  

yeah, that is on the list of things you   absolutely should not do .  That CNN video from like 1995 where they all did that is another example of people doing stuff they shouldnt based off what they saw in a video.

The reason it worked in the CNN video was because while dramatic, that was a small EF1 tornado that they survived.  anything bigger than that, and the suction is more than you can stop by bracing in the overpass. plus you have put yourself higher in the air where you can be much more easily hit by flying debris.

your best option is getting out of the car, in the closest depression you can find, or barring that, laying flat on the ground with your hands covering your head

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

It says clearly at the end that any larger tornado would have sucked them out of there. Not sure of your point modessit.

This is that same tornado a few miles west of the overpass and a few minutes earlier. They weren't safe under there if it had maintained this intensity.

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

This is fucking awesome. How long before these are mass produced ?

And as far as tornadoes and overpasses go, it’s one of the worst places you can seek refuge. There were several people in the ‘99 OKC tornado that sought refuge under an overpass that were literally sucked right out.

Edited by Hate

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

This is fucking awesome. How long before these are mass produced ?

And as far as tornadoes and overpasses go, it’s one of the worst places you can seek refuse. There were several people in the ‘99 OKC tornado that sought refuge under an overpass that were literally sucked right out.

PlayfulFamousHarpyeagle-size_restricted.

Just to recap, your best bet if you have time is to drive the opposite direction as fast as possible. If you aren’t capable of doing so, find the deepest ditch (not a ditch under an overpass), get flat, and protect your head? Do I have that right? Well, other than using a belt to strap myself to a pipe?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Just to recap, your best bet if you have time is to drive the opposite direction as fast as possible. If you aren’t capable of doing so, find the deepest ditch (not a ditch under an overpass), get flat, and protect your head? Do I have that right? Well, other than using a belt to strap myself to a pipe?

One of those things that folk panic and forget -- if you can see it moving right or left, hey, great, go the other way. If you can't tell what direction it's moving, that means it is probably on a straight line with you, either coming towards you or going away. Either way... move at right angles to it, and if you can't move, get down as low as you can, and hope for the best.

22 hours ago, crash_davis said:

HOLY SHIT.  is that what it's like landing one of these things.  supposedly a heavy crosswind.

[f150] thats some loose steering. Must be a Chevy plane. [/owner]

Edited by OrangEngr
Damn iPad

4 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Dude with the gun and the bouquet was awesome.

prospective groom is lucky she didn't start beating the shit out of him...LMAO.

Darwin musta been on a smoke break.

10 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

your best option is getting out of the car, in the closest depression you can find, or barring that, laying flat on the ground with your hands covering your head

Your best option is to drive like a bat out of hell away from the tornado if at all possible.  I refuse to buy into the "jump out of your vehicle and cower in a ditch" theory, that's just stupid, unless it's literally on top of you.

• Like 4

Your best option is to drive like a bat out of hell away from the tornado if at all possible.  I refuse to buy into the "jump out of your vehicle and cower in a ditch" theory, that's just stupid, unless it's literally on top of you.

Fortunately tornadoes never change direction and are never ever rain wrapped.

16 minutes ago, Hate said:

Fortunately tornadoes never change direction and are never ever rain wrapped.

a) they fail to change direction far more often than they don't

b) if they're rain-wrapped then it's a moot point -- I'm talking about visible tornadoes where the observer has time to react

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

If I'm going to be: 

- hurtled through the air

- at a high velocity

- in a storm full of debris

- inevitably landing on the ground 

- probably near a trailer park,

I prefer to be in my truck with a seatbelt, 13 airbags and SRV cranking out of my system.

I'll wave at you "get out of the car and lay in the ditch" geniuses as I fly by.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CoTex said:

If I'm going to be: 

- at a high velocity

I prefer to be in my truck with a seatbelt, 13 airbags and SRV cranking out of my system.

I'll wave at you "get out of the car and lay in the ditch" geniuses as I fly by.

The SRV track of course should be "Couldn't Stand the Weather"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoTex said:

If I'm going to be: 

- at a high velocity

Plus you can crank this up on the stereo-