Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Clinton paid off Paula Jones $850k.  And lost his law license for lying under oath.  Come on now.  

Not sure what relevance that has. That wasn't a rape allegation, a settlement is not an admission of guilt, and perjury isn't a sex crime.  Don't get me wrong - I think Clinton is a slimeball and I believe Paula Jones - but it's pretty rich for you to get on your high horse about the tragedy of making uncorroborated sex crime allegations after the way you've talked about the Clintons. 

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Wow. Two men have come forward to claim they were the ones that had the encounter and not Kavanaugh.

Ballsy move.  Do confessed rape attempters get anonymity these days?  Seems like sexual assault charges against these men will bring out the truth pretty quickly. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Do we need to go through the list of ridiculous nonsense that started January 20, 1993? 

It's a long ass list.

I can’t imagine the nonsense Bill got away with.  Most sex crimes aren’t reported.  Especially when you’re the most powerful man in the world 25 years ago.  

I can’t imagine the nonsense Bill got away with.  Most sex crimes aren’t reported.  Especially when you’re the most powerful man in the world 25 years ago.  

Am I allowed to play your “think of his wife and kid” card here, or is that only allowed when we are speculating about conservatives accused of sex crimes?

People to be believed, full stop.
Grassley releasing this information on the night before Ford's testimony is genius. The Dems should applaud his gamesmanship.

If your “genius” gamesmanship can be blown up by the following conversation...

Committee: Is it possible that you mistook Mr. Kavanaugh for someone else?
Dr. Ford: No.

... you need a new game

But yeah, I mean, I’m sure the anonymous dudes who THINK they COULD be the person Dr. Ford is referencing are more credible than the lady sitting on Capital Hill being questioned under oath.

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If your “genius” gamesmanship can be blown up by the following conversation...

Committee: Is it possible that you mistook Mr. Kavanaugh for someone else?
Dr. Ford: No.

... you need a new game

But yeah, I mean, I’m sure the anonymous dudes who THINK they COULD be the person Dr. Ford is referencing are more credible than the lady sitting on Capital Hill being questioned under oath.

Other than her story has no one to corroborate it, in fact everyone she has named as being there as denied the party ever took place. The fact there are 2 men that have said they might have done it absolutely sheds doubts on her credibility. She can remember nothing pertinent about the night in question like when it was, where it was, who was there, how she was able to get home. Not a thing, even though she claims it was "seared" into her.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 2

Other than her story has no one to corroborate it, in fact everyone she has named as being there as denied the party ever took place. The fact there are 2 men that have said they might have done it absolutely sheds doubts on her credibility. She can remember nothing pertinent about the night in question like when it was, where it was, who was there, how she was able to get home. Not a thing, even though she claims it was "seared" into her.

Hmm, you raise an interesting point. Sounds like we need to investigate these claims. If only there were a collection of federal investigators, a bureau if you will, who were trained to investigate crimes like these. If only...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

But she does remember who did it.

Oops.

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Hmm, you raise an interesting point. Sounds like we need to investigate these claims. If only there were a collection of federal investigators, a bureau if you will, who were trained to investigate crimes like these. If only...

Or maybe the Montgomery County Police Department, where the crime occurred and has the power to arrest the ones responsible and hold them accountable. This after all is about justice for the victims, correct? Dr. Ford has yet to file a report, why? She was apparently in the area when she took her polygraph.

It's hilarious you tards still stroke the FBI chicken, when according to Biden their reports don't mean shit, and they couldn't even figure out that Kavanaugh was the leader of Rape Pack '82 through 6 separate background checks.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Or maybe the Montgomery County Police Department, where the crime occurred and has the power to arrest the ones responsible and hold them accountable. This after all is about justice for the victims, correct? Dr. Ford has yet to file a report, why? She was apparently in the area when she took her polygraph.

No, this is not about justice for the victims. This is about Brett Kavanaugh's fitness to sit on the Supreme Court.

13 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You mean the same group that investigated him for months and found none of this?

I am unclear what "present" means.  Is it present at the party or present at the rape?  The affidavit has a number of such unclear statements.  Another ambiguity is "witnessed efforts to ...".  What the fuck does that mean?

Who gives a fuck? Swetnick did state that she saw BK in a line outside a room waiting his turn to run train on a drunk female.

This whole charade is ridiculous. The man is innocent until proven guilty and if there were actual facts to backup or prove anything she should have or could file a report with the police. 

Are we to no longer believe anyone of their innocence when an opponent releases a non-binding statement that accuses them of a crime?

This is all just so transparent, id be so embarrassed to have my political party cook up such a dishonest and elementary smear campaign. And what a slap in the face to true sexual assault or rape victims to use this as a political weapon. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

Seems too late in the game for the gop to produce 2 new witnesses who claim to be the attackers.   Or is it one attacker and one person ending the attack?   

We could have paused to conduct a thorough investigation but the decision was to push thru and only allow Ford and kavanaugh to testify.    They didn’t even want to invite the potential 3rd person in the room.

reap what you sow.

at the end of the day if I’m one of the senators on the fence I have to wonder with all the red flags on kavanaugh (fair or not) and other candidates available, why not switch to the other candidates?    At worst McConnell has until Jan 3rd to get them through.   Sure a few voters will be mad they “lost” to the libs in the kavanaugh battle but that will be forgotten by Election Day.

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

This whole charade is ridiculous. The man is innocent until proven guilty and if there were actual facts to backup or prove anything she should have or could file a report with the police. 

Innocent until proven guilty only applies in a criminal case and only during the actual trial.  It’s not even applied prior to the trial.

Besides this is a political decision that has zero reliance on guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  There’s nothing to say that the standard might be, “he could have done it” and get voted down. 

Are we to no longer believe anyone of their innocence when an opponent releases a non-binding statement that accuses them of a crime?
This is all just so transparent, id be so embarrassed to have my political party cook up such a dishonest and elementary smear campaign. And what a slap in the face to true sexual assault or rape victims to use this as a political weapon. 

So much wrong with this.

1) He's not on trial. This is a job interview. If someone came to you against her interests with this info on a job applicant would you still offer them? What if it was a lifetime job where it's really hard to fire them?

2) so much has been written about why most sexual assaults go unreported. Do you think most of those are unsubstantiated?

3) "non-binding statement" she's testifying under oath before Congress in a few hours

4) no one "cooked this up" Dr Ford came forward.

5) "true" victims. Come on.
  • Like 2

I'm surprised Ford is actually testifying. If she across as credibly and sympathetically as say, Juanita Broderick, Kavanaugh is done.  Her written testimony is believable.  I don't know if it's true, but she doesn't come across as a crazy person.  I think that is all it will take. I don't like that as our new standard, but it's political reality.  What has been lacking until the last day or so was people telling their story under penalty of perjury.  We now have 2 people who have sworn statements before the Senate.  The 3rd accuser's story is sensationalized, but there appear to be at least some elements being corroborated.  She stated, for example, that at these parties the punch was spiked with grain alcohol and/or drugs.  Who didn't go to a college party where the punch had everclear added to it? It was expected.  Qualudes is a whole different thing, however.  Nevertheless, Mark Judges' girlfriend at the time appears to be ready to confirm that he told her about a time where a drunk girl pulled a train at a party.   Not exactly the same as gang-rape parties, and I think 98% of her story is bs, but 2% is enough to sink Kavanaugh, even if he was not directly involved.

We'll have the testimony today, but I expect we will be moving on to a new candidate afterwards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I was wondering why there were so many fucking ads with women talking about how great BK is.  Doesn't mean he's guilty but someone sure as fuck knew there was a good chance something like this was coming. 

And all this bickering is just fun and games.  Dude is toast. 

It's the same reason he had already put together a list of 65 women from high school and college.  Why did they put that together?  Why does he still have his day planner from literally 1983?  He knew there was something.

There are many, many examples of ill-advised risks we take which turn out bad some time.  We don't "deserve" the bad result, but we made a bad decision.  I don't see a difference in these.  For example, if somebody fails to wear a motorcycle helmet and gets their brains scrambled I don't say they deserved to get their brains scrambled.  I do say they made a bad decision not to wear a helmet.  I could give you a hundred examples.  Going to a part as described is on the list.
So the driver who hit the bicyclist because he was texting on his iPhone and not paying attention isn't responsible for the "accident" because victim wasn't wearing a helmet. I can do purposeful awful shit because the teenagers around me arent making perfect decisions while on summer vacation.

7 hours ago, Ragnarok said:
Latest rumor on Powerline:
2 men saying they had encounter with Ford, not Kavenaugh. What a roller coaster.
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/09/a-case-of-mistaken-identity-2.php

I'm sure the Republicans will go through their background and credibility with a fine toothed comb.

The 2nd and the 4th accuser's stories are a joke, and the media should never have reported either.  In the sum total, they add negative weight.   It's going to be an interesting day.  They are going to have to destroy Ford's story for Kavanaugh to survive.  Wish I could watch live, but work, dammit.

The 2nd and the 4th accuser's stories are a joke, and the media should never have reported either.  In the sum total, they add negative weight.   It's going to be an interesting day.  They are going to have to destroy Ford's story for Kavanaugh to survive.  Wish I could watch live, but work, dammit.

The 4th (and 5th) accusers only became stories after the transcript of Kavanaugh’s Tuesday’s interrogation was released. And the headline was not “another accuser comes forward” it was “the Senate Judiciary Committee is asking about at least one other accusation” which is, factually, 100% true. Lumping either of these in with any of the first three is mind-numbingly disingenuous, but predictable.

Whatever happens today, you can be sure that it will prove that his name is cleared/he should go to jail. At this point it doesn’t really matter. Everyone’s mind is made up. He will be confirmed barring something crazy. 

The outlandish/recanted allegations of others were bad for Dems. Give Rs cover to doubt allegations and just confirm him  

The credible thing about the 2nd accuser is that she didn't even go to Ronan Farrow - they went to her after hearing about the dick in the face at the party from other classmates at Yale.

Not that it matters but just fwiw, when the story was "anonymous sexual assault complaint against Kavanaugh" right before the confirmation vote, I was highly speculative.  As soon as she came forward and put her name to it and details to indicate that she wasn't making it up out of whole cloth, it became a lot more credible.  The way that it has been handled by the Trump GOP make it seem like there is much more going on, and the following two claims add to that.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

This isn't a trial. The burden of proof isn't the same. This is about proving that Kavanaugh is unfit to be on the SC, which anyone with two brain cells knows.  AT BEST he has some really fucking warped views on women and sexuality. 

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

So much wrong with this.

1) He's not on trial. This is a job interview. If someone came to you against her interests with this info on a job applicant would you still offer them? What if it was a lifetime job where it's really hard to fire them?

2) so much has been written about why most sexual assaults go unreported. Do you think most of those are unsubstantiated?

3) "non-binding statement" she's testifying under oath before Congress in a few hours  

4) no one "cooked this up" Dr Ford came forward.

5) "true" victims. Come on.

If I was hiring a candidate, and someone came forward with a story like this I would be forced to consider the facts and circumstances around the incident to weigh the validity of it. In this case there seems to be enough to warrant heavy skepticism at best.

If this issue was also never brought to the police (for whatever reason) and if I was told this man had passed 6 prior FBI checks as a federal judge, that would be good enough for me.

We’ll see about her testimony, so far she has been extremely vague not giving anything of substance. But if you think she voluntarily came forward with this without some involvement from the DNC or it’s supporters you’re being naive.

47 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

What about the 2nd accuser's account is a joke to you?