Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

58 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

I, too, have a few friends who are ou grads/fans. They’re mostly good people who are respectful (they all have their teeth or at least very good dentists), so I’m finely planted in the same boat as @wood and others have mentioned. I like to think of it as “paying it forward “.

I have a number of OU friends. I hate losing to them naturally but it's far more tolerable than losing to aggy.

34 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’d think that rumor would help recruiting.

tenor.gif?itemid=4685189

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, wood said:

Who would you wanna be stuck in the trenches with ... Mobilehoma ou sucks guy, or that insufferable pos Neidermeyer from College Station? 

Bro you can’t fool me, I’m a “Girl Dad”- I’ve played “would you rather” enough to know I’ll never win. So, yeah...;-)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

My point was in reference to the comments that replacing Herman would automatically mean that Texas would beat Oklahoma, which is what was said about replacing Charlie with Herman. 

So I understood perfectly and basically asked you a follow up question, admittedly veiled as a sarcastic non-agreement agreement, and your response is to claim I'm attacking a strawman. 

Granted, I'm going off of a few things that I assume we are all in agreement over, which are:

1. Beating OU once in 4 years is not our standard.

2. Not meeting our standards results in being fired.

3. We should not hire someone that we believe cannot go at least .500 against OU. 

4. Urban is likely to not only do better than Herman against OU but probably reach and surpass that .500 mark. 

So unless you disagree with one of those statements then there's no strawman involved.

• Hook 'Em 3

The Texas side reached out and weren't given an outright "no." I find it hard to believe that he'd leave the NFL though, and I don't know anyone that will argue otherwise, either. 
Starting to hear and see what I believe is a ton of fan fiction about Meyer "having his staff ready" when it all goes down. There's things that can be kept relatively low key, such as a verbal agreement between two parties and an acceptance of a waiting period or something. I can buy that on very shaky grounds. I can't buy the idea that the entire coaching world would be keeping quiet when their buddies are all leaving to meet up with Meyer in Austin. Absurd. Coaches are by and large not the most intelligent or disciplined people. 

Well it’s obviously because Urban has decided to keep the entire staff, of course.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

So I understood perfectly and basically asked you a follow up question, admittedly veiled as a sarcastic non-agreement agreement, and your response is to claim I'm attacking a strawman. 

Granted, I'm going off of a few things that I assume we are all in agreement over, which are:

3. We should not hire someone that we believe cannot go at least .500 against OU. 

4. Urban is likely to not only do better than Herman against OU but probably reach and surpass that .500 mark. 

So unless you disagree with one of those statements then there's no strawman involved.

Number 2 is absolute horse shit and you know it. It takes losing to Kansas for the first time since 1940. It also takes running off a 5* legacy OT and the best QB prospect since Vince. The second asshole we haven't fired yet. lulz 

Edited by WinningIsHard
I got angrier and decided to add more LOL

36 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

My point was in reference to the comments that replacing Herman would automatically mean that Texas would beat Oklahoma, which is what was said about replacing Charlie with Herman. 

Pretty sure that's not what anyone said. 

14 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Number 2 is absolute horse shit and you know it. It takes losing to Kansas for the first time since 1940. It also takes running off a 5* legacy OT and the best QB prospect since Vince. The second asshole we haven't fired yet. lulz 

Maybe you're misinterpreting. Going 1 and 4 against OU is just one of many failed standards met. I wasn't claiming that to be the end all be all - otherwise Mack would have been canned after 2004.

19 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

It also takes running off a 5* legacy OT and the best QB prospect since Vince.

I am guessing Trevor Lawrence is going to portal here about the same time as Waddle.

(Ewers is ridiculously good but he isn't a better prospect - YET - than Lawrence)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe you're misinterpreting. Going 1 and 4 against OU is just one of many failed standards met. I wasn't claiming that to be the end all be all - otherwise Mack would have been canned after 2004.

Yeah I was just fuckin with you man, I agree there needs to be standards but in the past 30 or so years we have shown a proclivity to not hold that standard unless somebody sets a dumpster on fire lol. If we get lucky enough to hire Urban then we should set our standard somewhere in between Mack Brown - Royal - and Urban. No more low lows at all. Ohio state-ish if you will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

The amount that he is actually responding to questions about the rumors gives me hope there is something there.

Typically you get a "I'm not gonna talk about that" or "next question" type of response to this stuff but that doesn't appear to be the case.

All I hear is:  "I'm getting paid $5 mill a year whether they fire me or not."

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Anwar is Herman's guy, right?

That reply feels particularly scripted, as though he was answering a question he wanted to be asked.

are you suggesting he didn't just come up with that 2000+ word answer  on the spot?

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Jesus Fucksticks. You weren't attacking a straw man, you were building one by implying that what I said inferred that I believe we should keep Herman.

Are you this dense? The bolded part is what the idea was when Charlie was going to be fired and Herman was going to be hired. It was then and is now 100% wishcasting until it happens. It COULD happen. But it COULD have happened when Herman was hired and it didn't. But just repeating the same shit every time we fire the last coach and hire the next one is not based on anything but what you want to happen. 

However you construed from that argument that I think Herman should be kept around is your fucking strawman that is completely false.

Edited by Orange&White

4 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah I have to admit I have exactly one friend who's a big OU sucks fan. It wouldn't kill me to lose to them again this year to dramatically increase our chances of whooping that ass for years to come.

3 hours ago, wood said:

Pretty sure that's not what anyone said. 

Actually, YOU were the one that said it.

Yeah Tom, you were right to say you have the support of thousands (maybe).  Hundreds of thousands no longer exist based on my reading the comments that follow any Longhorn media posts.  I mean even the typically easy ones like the official Longhorn Football Instagram account is nothing but fire the coach comments.  Fan support has evaporated completely.

But what do I know, I am just a pissed off fan.  I don't have players showing me the stuff they see that is "so far from reality."

12 minutes ago, jinx said:

Yeah Tom, you were right to say you have the support of thousands (maybe).  Hundreds of thousands no longer exist based on my reading the comments that follow any Longhorn media posts.  I mean even the typically easy ones like the official Longhorn Football Instagram account is nothing but fire the coach comments.  Fan support has evaporated completely.

But what do I know, I am just a pissed off fan.  I don't have players showing me the stuff they see that is "so far from reality."

Support of thousands of blOU, aggy, and tcu fans

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Jesus Fucksticks.

Are you this dense? The bolded part is what the idea was when Charlie was going to be fired and Herman was going to be hired. It was then and is now 100% wishcasting until it happens. It COULD happen. But it COULD have happened when Herman was hired and it didn't. But just repeating the same shit every time we fire the last coach and hire the next one is not based on anything but what you want to happen. 

However you construed from that argument that I think Herman should be kept around is your fucking strawman that is completely false.

Alright, I'll play, because I am not really sure what your point is.  I agree that it was wishcasting to suggest that Herman was going to come in and own OU based on one win against them with UH.  But to just toss Urban in the wishcasting pile after 17 years as a head coach with a record against rivals is absolutely idiotic.

Let's look at the facts:

At Utah - 2-0 vs BYU

At Florida - 5-1 vs FSU; 6-0 vs Tennessee; 5-1 vs UGA; 3-3 vs LSU; 2-3 vs Bama

At Ohio State - 7-0 vs Michigan; 6-1 vs Penn State

To suggest that Urban Meyer would likely be better than .500 against OU is hardly wishcasting.  The only "rivals" that Urban has a .500 record or lower than would be Bama and LSU.

What was your point again?

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, jinx said:

Alright, I'll play, because I am not really sure what your point is.  I agree that it was wishcasting to suggest that Herman was going to come in and own OU based on one win against them with UH.  But to just toss Urban in the wishcasting pile after 17 years as a head coach with a record against rivals is absolutely idiotic.

Let's look at the facts:

At Utah - 2-0 vs BYU

At Florida - 5-1 vs FSU; 6-0 vs Tennessee; 5-1 vs UGA; 3-3 vs LSU; 2-3 vs Bama

At Ohio State - 7-0 vs Michigan; 6-1 vs Penn State

To suggest that Urban Meyer would likely be better than .500 against OU is hardly wishcasting.  The only "rivals" that Urban has a .500 record or lower than would be Bama and LSU.

What was your point again?

Urban fucks his rivals. Always has. 

1 minute ago, jinx said:

The rumor when he started at Florida was that he had BYU stickers in all of the locker room urinals at Utah.  He would not substantiate that rumor though.

I know for a fact he did. And I don't know if that's where he started not referring to his rivals by name, but he would only call byu the team down south. Still pisses those inbred retards off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Actually, YOU were the one that said it.

Actually, NO. I didn't.

I said losing Herman to make way for Meyer would dramatically increase our chances of beating ou sucks - not that replacing Herman with just anyone  would automatically mean wins against them.

Big fucking difference.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Em-EZ-kW4AMv9nJ?format=png&name=small

Mentioned this in the CDC thread but probably more relevant here.

TH says all their goals are still in front of them.  It's  a shame no one had the guts to ask "so I guess that means it was your goal at the start of the season to not make the playoffs.  Do you think your AD and the boosters shared your goal to not make the playoffs?"

Edited by nunna yo bizness
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jinx said:

The rumor when he started at Florida was that he had BYU stickers in all of the locker room urinals at Utah.  He would not substantiate that rumor though.

Doesn’t Billy Sims “barbecue” up in Mobilehoma have upside down Longhorn stickers in their urinals?

Thanks for the royalties and thanks for the space in your psyche for which UT pays zilch.  Actually, if you think about it, y’all pay UT in way of said royalties. Idoits.

• Hook 'Em 1

Doesn’t Billy Sims “barbecue” up in Mobilehoma have upside down Longhorn stickers in their urinals?
Thanks for the royalties and thanks for the space in your psyche for which UT pays zilch.  Actually, if you think about it, y’all pay UT in way of said royalties. Idoits.

Only creative way I’ve seen the upside down Horns done was at some bar near the campus in Norman. They had all of the helmets of the Big12 teams displayed. The Texas helmet was upside down and had a large ivy or whatever coming out of it that covered nearly the entire wall. Still fuck them, but creative.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Only creative way I’ve seen the upside down Horns done was at some bar near the campus in Norman. They had all of the helmets of the Big12 teams displayed. The Texas helmet was upside down and had a large ivy or whatever coming out of it that covered nearly the entire wall. Still fuck them, but creative.

Yes, creative. Especially for the boomers. And assuming the ivy was real, I’m sure all Horns are OK with an upside down helmet if it helps create some green space in that God-forsaken dust bowl of a flyover state. 
But yes, fuck them. It is the way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas